• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turfster

Fuck the 'platforming' section at the end of chapter 2.
You can't see half the things you can hang from without the stupid highlighting.
Also, it's totally possible to ghost chapter 2 and get half the loot without having any equipment.
Pity I didn't buy the damn wrench before I went tho, because half the loot was locked behind wrench gates =p

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I recently replayed shadow complex, and it's definitely worse looking than I remember. The graphics have this muddy looking aesthetic to it, and it could definitely benefit from being cleaned up and released on the PC. It's a shame that we're unlikely to see Chair return to Shadow Complex, as they made a ton more money off of the Infinity Blade games.
If it comes to PC it would need to be switched to a newer UE3 revision.

5) Shadow Hearts - Great PS2-era RPG, although somewhat quirky at times. The game's two sequels are arguably better, but I would honestly buy any or all of them if they were available on Steam.

Is this a rare game or something? I have the physical disc/box..played through about half of it or so, pretty sweet.

I noticed the ebay prices are all around the high $20's...which seems high for a PS2 game.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Somewhere in Sacnoth's long defunct offices, Koudelka cries.

Koudelka was awesome too! I own the PS1 game (along with the Shadow Hearts series on PS2) but felt a re-release would be too difficult to do from a technical standpoint. Early 3-D environment games are a tough-sell today unless they're completely remade or rebooted. Not that I'd mind.

I recently replayed shadow complex, and it's definitely worse looking than I remember. The graphics have this muddy looking aesthetic to it, and it could definitely benefit from being cleaned up and released on the PC. It's a shame that we're unlikely to see Chair return to Shadow Complex, as they made a ton more money off of the Infinity Blade games.

They're really just leaving more money on the table
chair?
by not bringing this to PC. Cool - you made a billion dollars selling Infinity Blade, that's great. Now spend a couple hundred thousand of those dollars finishing Shadow Complex for the PC, and make a couple million more. :)

Grief.exe

They're really just leaving more money on the table
chair?
by not bringing this to PC. Cool - you made a billion dollars selling Infinity Blade, that's great. Now spend a couple hundred thousand of those dollars finishing Shadow Complex for the PC, and make a couple million more. :)

Fixing up Gears of War and Bulletstorm would not go amiss either.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Custom Master, with pretty much everything turned off
In that case, the only differences are the custom options.
Maybe I just don't notice it.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
In lighter news, GameStop processed my order and I received my key...

drivingatrain3jry3.jpg

...but I was also charged for the full amount of the game in addition to the two lots of AUD$2.29 that were taken for what is apparently no reason, so I've e-mailed Support asking for a refund on the latter. It's barely past midnight and already today is frustrating. :p

4) Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - this Gamecube exclusive from Namco (which also had a pretty great sequel) was one of the reasons I finally picked up the system. Bonus points if they released an "HD" version, more bonus points if they also release the sequel.

Such a good call on this. The praise I read about this game, and the fact that the gameply was pretty far up my alley, were major selling points on me picking up a Gamecube. Eternal Darkness didn't hurt, either.

FloatOn

With all of these old games coming to Steam, I am curious to ask you guys, if you could have any five titles from between 1985-2013 release on Steam, what would they be? A bit childish of me to ask, but I am legitimately curious.

Of course, a bit more fun if you say something reasonable. Like obviously Nintendo games aren't coming to Steam, for example.

In no particular order:

1) Skies of Arcadia HD - my all time favorite jrpg. would love to have this on my steam account.
2) Sega All Stars Tennis - Sumo had great success with Racing Transformed. Apparently a mac version of this exists so I would think porting it to pc wouldn't be too difficult.
3) Bomberman Ultra - it's only on psn at the moment but konami would do well by fans to preserve bombmerman's life by putting this on steam.
4) Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Once again konami could preserve a timeless classic by porting the 360 version to steam.
5) Red Dead Redemption - I'll never forgive R* until they put this on steam. it's bad enough they are dragging their feet putting gta5 on steam.

Turfster

Early 3-D environment games are a tough-sell today unless they're completely remade or rebooted. Not that I'd mind.
Dunno, indies are going back to low res "8 bit" pixel art. That means eventually, low res polygons will have their time in the spotlight again, right? ;)

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
4) Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean - this Gamecube exclusive from Namco (which also had a pretty great sequel) was one of the reasons I finally picked up the system. Bonus points if they released an "HD" version, more bonus points if they also release the sequel.
Such a great game. I think the license belongs to Nintendo though, since Monolith Soft made it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dunno, indies are going back to low res "8 bit" pixel art. That means eventually, low res polygons will have their time in the spotlight again, right? ;)

If this ends up being the case, there's no reason we shouldn't also get Vagrant Story from Square Enix.

Such a great game. I think the license belongs to Nintendo though, since Monolith Soft made it.

That's sad. It'll be yet another great game stuck in aging consoles. At least there will always be emulation. :(

4) Castlevania Symphony of the Night - Once again konami could preserve a timeless classic by porting the 360 version to steam.

I bought it before on XBLA, would buy again.

Garcia

In no particular order:

1) Skies of Arcadia HD - my all time favorite jrpg. would love to have this on my steam account.
2) Sega All Stars Tennis - Sumo had great success with Racing Transformed. Apparently a mac version of this exists so I would think porting it to pc wouldn't be too difficult.
3) Bomberman Ultra - it's only on psn at the moment but konami would do well by fans to preserve bombmerman's life by putting this on steam.
5) Red Dead Redemption - I'll never forgive R* until they put this on steam. it's bad enough they are dragging their feet putting gta5 on steam.

This needs to happen. I love Bomberman but haven't played Ultra yet. I used to play the infamous Bomberman Online almost 10 years ago; truly great times!

schuey7

I have to humblebundle keys for fez that I am not able to nuke in Modbot.Is there some problem with nuking humblebundle gifts .I have tried multiple times and am on the verge of just giving it away directly.

FloatOn

I bought it before on XBLA, would buy again.

same here. I have it on my ps3 now too but I know it will only be a matter of time before I ditch that console. however, my steam account stays with me until the day I die.

This needs to happen. I love Bomberman but haven't played Ultra yet. I used to play the infamous Bomberman Online almost 10 years ago; truly great times!

There are not enough local or online style party games. I'm a huge fan of bomberman and I think the game would have a pretty decent player base on steam should it use steamworks.

JaseC

I have to humblebundle keys for fez that I am not able to nuke in Modbot.Is there some problem with nuking humblebundle gifts .I have tried multiple times and am on the verge of just giving it away directly.

The problem is that the [URL] tag is automatically added to detected URLs, so what you need to do is nuke [URL]yourhumbleurlhere[/URL]. If that doesn't work, though, just give away the gift yourself and ask Stump to manually nuke the URL you've given ModBot so it's not among the next free-for-all.

JDHarbs

With all of these old games coming to Steam, I am curious to ask you guys, if you could have any five titles from between 1985-2013 release on Steam, what would they be? A bit childish of me to ask, but I am legitimately curious.

Of course, a bit more fun if you say something reasonable. Like obviously Nintendo games aren't coming to Steam, for example.
1-3. The Halo Trilogy.
4. Red Dead Redemption
5. Resident Evil

Blablurn

In lighter news, GameStop processed my order and I received my key...

drivingatrain3jry3.jpg

...but I was also charged for the full amount of the game in addition to the two lots of AUD$2.29 that were taken for what is apparently no reason, so I've e-mailed Support asking for a refund on the latter. It's barely past midnight and already today is frustrating. :p

Yo JaseC. Which Skin is that?

JaseC

Groupees Scandinavia bundle
Price: 1$
  • The Journey Down: Chapter One
  • Unmechanical
  • Slip
  • Mystery game

Cheers, bought for a potential Steam key for Slip. Here are the spares:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Unmechanical -- MB-3F767445C60ABC57 - Taken by Frustrated_Grunt
The Journey Down -- MB-A41C7082998E4F4C - Taken by Blablurn

yuraya

Our current best bet is to pester Kojima-sensei for a PC release of the two MGS 5, as unfortunately IIRC Sony signed a perpetual exclusivity deal on Guns of the Patriots.

And Microsoft did a poor job with the first two Solid, although their PSX emulator was remarkable, back in the Bleem! era.

I didn't know Kojima/Konami had exclusivity deal with Sony for MGS4. If true than :(. Hopefully its not some lifetime deal. That would actually be terrible if true because it would make it the only MGS game that is tied to a Sony console. If Konami wants that game to make anymore money than they better release it on PC. Because I seriously doubt that game is making much money for them being on PS3 only nowadays. I am sure the sales have been dead for it ever since they shutdown MGO.

Knurek

While we're talking about game we'd like to see on Steam, I'm listening to NieR's OST at the moment, and hot dayum... Wish that one would come to PC as well.

5 games I wish I could see on Steam?

5) Here's an odd ball choice...Culdcept (any of them).

This man here. He get's it.

5 games I wish I could see on Steam?

I'm goin to cheat and say:

1) SSI Gold box games. In particular I'd love to see the Eye of the Beholder trilogy show up on Steam. There's been a bit of a resurgence in dungeon crawlers, and with D&D 5th Ed coming soon, it might be a good time for it.
2) Final Fantasy Tactics - Still waiting on the Android port to come to NA. Otherwise its been ported a bunch of times...I'd buy it again for badges and achievements.
3) I'll echo Symphony of the Night...though what would be even better is a package deal that includes Rondo of Blood (both the original and the PSP remake)
4) Panzer Dragoon Saga. It breaks my heart that so few people have played this game. 5th gen console games are rough around the edges, but this game really had a great battle system, and a pretty decent story for the era...ties in with getting Sega to port more games to PC.
5) Here's an odd ball choice...Culdcept (any of them). For those that don't know, this is a game that is basically a cross between Monopoly and Magic the Gathering. You build decks using cards that you find made up of monsters, items, and spells. You then move around a board based on a die roll and either controll spaces using your monsters, or try to take those spaces from your opponents. You gain magic (money) through controlling spaces, and there is a mechanic that allows you to enhance spaces you control (like building houses/hotels). If you fail to take a space controlled by an opponent, you pay a fine. You play the match till someone meets the set goal of magic/money. Steam online play for this game? Would be awesome.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
For me and PC/Steam ports, I wouldn't stick to just 5.

XBLA
Comic Jumper -- not a particularly good game, but an odd omission from Steam. Twisted Pixel is owned by Microsoft.

Fusion: Genesis -- this is a top-down space trading / combat / mining pseudo-MMO game on XBLA that never got anywhere near the attention it would have if it was on PC. Studio possibly shut down.

Lazy Raiders -- A single-screen puzzle game where your character tumbles through the level, and you control the game by rotating the world rather than moving your player. Studio mostly doing work for hire mobile stuff now.

Marble Blast Ultra -- Still a classic, studio definitely defunct (delisted from XBLA).

Poker Smash -- Panel de Pon meets Poker, sort of? Helped Kickstart a PC port last year, game is Greenlit, just waiting for news on the Steam release.

Polar Panic -- Great little eco-themed Sokoban game. Dev is mostly working on PS Minis stuff now.

Raskulls -- it's basically a multiplayer platform racing game where the world is made of Tetris-like blocks and you can zap them to create holes to run through or drop higher-up blocks on your opponents. Incredibly fun,
a better game than the somewhat similarly premised Battleblock Theatre
, and never really got a community on XBLA. Dev is Halfbrick, who you knew from Fruit Ninja / Jetpack Joyride and others. This is definitely my #1 PC request.

Schizoid -- it's a twin-stick shooter with sort of abstract graphics in the vein of a more organic geometry wars... but you can't shoot enemies. Instead, you control two ships, one orange one blue. Like Ikaruga there's a colour polarity mechanic. But the really insane part is having to control two ships at once (or in multiplayer, coordinate with the other ship). Game was in XNA so should actually deploy to PC as-is. Dev hasn't released anything since 2011.

War of the Worlds -- it's an oldschool Prince of Persia / Blackthorne / Out of this World style "heavy" platformer narrated by Patrick Stewart. It's very difficult and frustrating and rough around the edges, but I enjoyed the experience. The dev is still actively working on stuff, but Paramount Digital (which has been a failure as a division) published it and the game got delisted on XBLA/PSN so I'm guessing they lost rights.

A World of Keflings -- I like Ninjabee's games. Kingdom for Keflings got a PC port but it was never released on Steam. World of Keflings got a PC port but only to Windows 8. Pity, both are great little games that deserve more exposure.

Xbox Indie Games
Arkedo Series 01 Jump and 03 Pixel -- two short little fun, simple platform games. Dev later made Hell Yeah. Dev is now defunct.

CarneyVale Showtime -- You're a clown, you rotate around pegs and launch yourself off in any direction. Similar to Clu Clu Land, the Donkey Kong GBA/DS peg games, or maybe a little bit like Rotastic. Made by a student team from Singapore. Got a PC port, GFWL only, officially impossible to buy today. Also on Windows Phone. I believe the student team is gone at this point.

Epic Dungeon / Cursed Loot (changed name due to IP issues) -- A short top-down dungeon crawl that combines random text events, permanent death, really quick playthroughs (it's a 20-30 minute game). The closest game on Steam is probably something like Flotilla meets something like Hack Slash Loot meets Binding of Isaac. I think it could have a nice little audience on Steam. Dev is just one independent guy and he claims he'll poke at a PC port at some point.

Xbox 360
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand -- 50! 50! Hey 50! This is basically a bro simulator. It's shockingly not a bad game. Dev is closed, publisher is dead, and it's a licensed title... I suspect this means we will not see this port.

The Adventures of Tintin -- Really nice 2D movie licensed platformer. There are a couple of dumb vehicle segments, but the platforming levels are fine. It's 2.5D with a really nice kind of diorama look. It's very funny and retains the visual feel of the show and comics. But the best part is that there's an entirely separate multiplayer co-op campaign with tons of new levels. Unlockable big head mode and ridiculous costumes are awesome. Ubisoft could release this today as the game is on PC, but instead LOL NO

Catherine -- A time-limited climbing block puzzle action game strung together with a sort of interactive novel frame story about infidelity and anxiety about settling down. I still can't believe this exists. Atlus USA seems to like PC, but the real trick is getting Atlus devs in Japan to be able to port the game.

Fable 2 -- And while we're at it, Fable Heroes as well.

Gunstringer -- The best Kinect game on the platform. It's funny. It plays well. It never got the audience it deserved because it was on Kinect. Even though some of the great design would be compromised by not having Kinect, it'd still be worth playing. Twisted Pixel owned by Microsoft.

Lost Odyssey -- Best JRPG I've played in a long time. Dev no longer exists.

Sneak King -- A licensed Burger King video game. You play as the Burger King King, in these sort of open playground levels kind of reminiscent of a smaller Hitman level. You sneak around and surprise people with burgers. It's creepy, it's awesome, totally worth playing. Dev was Blitz Games who shut down.

Wanted: Weapons of Fate -- This is a really excellent, incredibly fluid and fun to play cover-based third person shooter that serves as a sort of sequel to the Wanted film. The one downside is that it's quite short (3-4 hours first run through) and so it probably wasn't worth $60 to most people. Dev was GRiN who no longer exist, and game was licensed, so probably never going to happen.

Also Crackdown 1, Doritos Crash Course 1 and 2, Halo Wars, Haunt, Mercury HG, Outland, Shadow Complex, Viva Pinata 1 and 2 and Party Animals, and several others.

I own all of these games. I want to pay to own them again on a (more) future-proof platform.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Aerena -- MB-5DB562A3899ECB2E - Taken by DJSebolski. 6 entrants total.

t1393617236z1.png

Knurek

Catherine -- A time-limited climbing block puzzle action game strung together with a sort of interactive novel frame story about infidelity and anxiety about settling down. I still can't believe this exists. Atlus USA seems to like PC, but the real trick is getting Atlus devs in Japan to be able to port the game.

Shouldn't be too hard, since the game uses Gamebryo of all engines.

JaseC

Another spare:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Diehard Dungeon -- MB-D605ABD9472FFED8 - Taken by DJSebolski

jshackles

A World of Keflings -- I like Ninjabee's games. Kingdom for Keflings got a PC port but it was never released on Steam. World of Keflings got a PC port but only to Windows 8. Pity, both are great little games that deserve more exposure.

Both great games. A Kingdom for Keflings is one of the very few games I've actually played on my Desura account.

Lost Odyssey -- Best JRPG I've played in a long time. Dev no longer exists.

Agreed - would love to play this again on Steam.

nexen

I'm only like an hour or so in but they really neutered Thief.

Steal as much as you can in these two rooms!
[Loading screen]
Now this corridor!
[One-way wall traversal]
Here it opens up a bit. You get an entire alleyway.

The graphics are insanely good but god damn if the level design isn't a travesty. Ruins the entire game. It feels like it has only slightly more player freedom than Dragon's Lair.

Fox318

5 games?

1. Bad Rats 2: Electric Boogaloo
  2. Bad Rats 3: Freedom isn't free
  3. Bad Rats 4: Find the Trap Door
  4. Bad Rats 5: Why are we still alive
  5. Bad Rats 6: Road to Penetration

FloatOn

I agree with so much of this especially Raskulls. Speedrunners scratches a similar itch but it doesn't have the mr.driller block breaking mechanic.

I'd love Outland and Shadow Complex but in that vein I guess I'm just satisfied with Guacamelee.

If Lost Odyssey ever came to steam I'm sure it wouldn't take 90 seconds to load a battle like it did on 360.

5 games?

1. Bad Rats 2: Electric Boogaloo
  2. Bad Rats 3: Freedom isn't free
  3. Bad Rats 4: Find the Trap Door
  4. Bad Rats 5: Why are we still alive
  5. Bad Rats 6: Road to Penetration

Bad Rats 6 sounds like the absolute funniest game imaginable. My god I'm cracking up just thinking of the possibilities.

1. Vanquish
2. Valkyria Chronicles Complete Collection
3. Any Gundam game that isn't a Dynasty Warriors title.
4. Any old Star Trek title (Invasion, Away Team, Klingon Academy, etc...)
5. ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom