• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

Pre-load up for Stick of Truth

So still no update on Black Mesa since november. Is it surely not running on S2? Why would they be secretive about the Portal2/GO fork edition. Doesn't make sense.

They said specifically that it wasn't Source 2 after the speculation reached a critical mass.

Levyne

Banned
Hmm, I'm a little (very) green on the family sharing, this question..

CAN TWO USERS SHARE A LIBRARY AND BOTH PLAY AT THE SAME TIME?
No, a shared library may only be accessed by one user at a time.

Does this mean if I open up my library to be shared with, say, my brother, if he is playing a game from my library, I can't play a different game at the same time?

Grief.exe

Does this mean if I open up my library to be shared with, say, my brother, if he is playing a game from my library, I can't play a different game at the same time?

If you start a game from your library, he will be kicked out of the game.

Now, you can start a game from his library and you can both play at once.

fantomena

I read on Twitter and on AMD giveaway site in the comments that some people who received a key was told by the AMD reedem site they key was already used.

nexen

They should just change DOW2 Retribution's name to "Retribution: $7.49".
Game is always on sale and always about $2.50 more than I want to pay.

okayfrog

Banned
I never entirely understood Family Sharing. Simple scenario: I live with a roommate who has Steam on his computer. I want to play a game he owns. If he enabled me to share his games, I could then go onto his computer, log onto my Steam profile, and play his games, and he can do the same with my games on my computer.

Correct?

Nabs

I never entirely understood Family Sharing. Simple scenario: I live with a roommate who has Steam on his computer. I want to play a game he owns. If he enabled me to share his games, I could then go onto his computer, log onto my Steam profile, and play his games, and he can do the same with my games on my computer.

Correct?

Once you log in on his computer you are free to go back to your computer to play his games.

Correct?

You can play his games on your computer and he can play your games on his computer. You go on the person's computer you want to share with, sign in and authorize that computer. They sign in and have access.

okayfrog

Banned
Once you log in on his computer you are free to go back to your computer to play his games.
You can play his games on your computer and he can play your games on his computer. You go on the person's computer you want to share with, sign in and authorize that computer. They sign in and have access.

Really? I thought that's what it was at first, but it sounded too good to be true. Awesome to know, thanks.

Correct?

paging Stallion....

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Steam keys for One Way Heroics are up for buyers on Playism.
Nothing on Indie Royale ATM, not sure if they will get added - the game was removed from Desura AFAIK.

Ah great. As I only have two games off Playism I could go a long time without ever looking at it, so thanks for the head up. Hopefully more players on Steam means more sharing of info for it's online mode.

On the contrary I haven't posted on GAF in a month, browse maybe 1-3 times a week and have been working (my real job as well as my second: writing) most of my free time. I barely log on Steam anymore but I've been trying to make time to play Thief lately. So no, I wouldn't make a very good achievement for anything but game count.

And I do play my games!

jANrZMD.gif

We can call yours, "Once I owned everything, now I don't even care".
Also good to see you.

I think that was it. I can't say if any of the tier 2 games are repeats... but none of the $1 tier 1 games are.

For me and PC/Steam ports, I wouldn't stick to just 5.

XBLA
Comic Jumper -- not a particularly good game, but an odd omission from Steam. Twisted Pixel is owned by Microsoft.

Fusion: Genesis -- this is a top-down space trading / combat / mining pseudo-MMO game on XBLA that never got anywhere near the attention it would have if it was on PC. Studio possibly shut down.

Lazy Raiders -- A single-screen puzzle game where your character tumbles through the level, and you control the game by rotating the world rather than moving your player. Studio mostly doing work for hire mobile stuff now.

Marble Blast Ultra -- Still a classic, studio definitely defunct (delisted from XBLA).

Poker Smash -- Panel de Pon meets Poker, sort of? Helped Kickstart a PC port last year, game is Greenlit, just waiting for news on the Steam release.

Polar Panic -- Great little eco-themed Sokoban game. Dev is mostly working on PS Minis stuff now.

Raskulls -- it's basically a multiplayer platform racing game where the world is made of Tetris-like blocks and you can zap them to create holes to run through or drop higher-up blocks on your opponents. Incredibly fun,
a better game than the somewhat similarly premised Battleblock Theatre
, and never really got a community on XBLA. Dev is Halfbrick, who you knew from Fruit Ninja / Jetpack Joyride and others. This is definitely my #1 PC request.

Schizoid -- it's a twin-stick shooter with sort of abstract graphics in the vein of a more organic geometry wars... but you can't shoot enemies. Instead, you control two ships, one orange one blue. Like Ikaruga there's a colour polarity mechanic. But the really insane part is having to control two ships at once (or in multiplayer, coordinate with the other ship). Game was in XNA so should actually deploy to PC as-is. Dev hasn't released anything since 2011.

War of the Worlds -- it's an oldschool Prince of Persia / Blackthorne / Out of this World style "heavy" platformer narrated by Patrick Stewart. It's very difficult and frustrating and rough around the edges, but I enjoyed the experience. The dev is still actively working on stuff, but Paramount Digital (which has been a failure as a division) published it and the game got delisted on XBLA/PSN so I'm guessing they lost rights.

A World of Keflings -- I like Ninjabee's games. Kingdom for Keflings got a PC port but it was never released on Steam. World of Keflings got a PC port but only to Windows 8. Pity, both are great little games that deserve more exposure.

Xbox Indie Games
Arkedo Series 01 Jump and 03 Pixel -- two short little fun, simple platform games. Dev later made Hell Yeah. Dev is now defunct.

CarneyVale Showtime -- You're a clown, you rotate around pegs and launch yourself off in any direction. Similar to Clu Clu Land, the Donkey Kong GBA/DS peg games, or maybe a little bit like Rotastic. Made by a student team from Singapore. Got a PC port, GFWL only, officially impossible to buy today. Also on Windows Phone. I believe the student team is gone at this point.

Epic Dungeon / Cursed Loot (changed name due to IP issues) -- A short top-down dungeon crawl that combines random text events, permanent death, really quick playthroughs (it's a 20-30 minute game). The closest game on Steam is probably something like Flotilla meets something like Hack Slash Loot meets Binding of Isaac. I think it could have a nice little audience on Steam. Dev is just one independent guy and he claims he'll poke at a PC port at some point.

Xbox 360
50 Cent: Blood on the Sand -- 50! 50! Hey 50! This is basically a bro simulator. It's shockingly not a bad game. Dev is closed, publisher is dead, and it's a licensed title... I suspect this means we will not see this port.

The Adventures of Tintin -- Really nice 2D movie licensed platformer. There are a couple of dumb vehicle segments, but the platforming levels are fine. It's 2.5D with a really nice kind of diorama look. It's very funny and retains the visual feel of the show and comics. But the best part is that there's an entirely separate multiplayer co-op campaign with tons of new levels. Unlockable big head mode and ridiculous costumes are awesome. Ubisoft could release this today as the game is on PC, but instead LOL NO

Catherine -- A time-limited climbing block puzzle action game strung together with a sort of interactive novel frame story about infidelity and anxiety about settling down. I still can't believe this exists. Atlus USA seems to like PC, but the real trick is getting Atlus devs in Japan to be able to port the game.

Fable 2 -- And while we're at it, Fable Heroes as well.

Gunstringer -- The best Kinect game on the platform. It's funny. It plays well. It never got the audience it deserved because it was on Kinect. Even though some of the great design would be compromised by not having Kinect, it'd still be worth playing. Twisted Pixel owned by Microsoft.

Lost Odyssey -- Best JRPG I've played in a long time. Dev no longer exists.

Sneak King -- A licensed Burger King video game. You play as the Burger King King, in these sort of open playground levels kind of reminiscent of a smaller Hitman level. You sneak around and surprise people with burgers. It's creepy, it's awesome, totally worth playing. Dev was Blitz Games who shut down.

Wanted: Weapons of Fate -- This is a really excellent, incredibly fluid and fun to play cover-based third person shooter that serves as a sort of sequel to the Wanted film. The one downside is that it's quite short (3-4 hours first run through) and so it probably wasn't worth $60 to most people. Dev was GRiN who no longer exist, and game was licensed, so probably never going to happen.

Also Crackdown 1, Doritos Crash Course 1 and 2, Halo Wars, Haunt, Mercury HG, Outland, Shadow Complex, Viva Pinata 1 and 2 and Party Animals, and several others.

I own all of these games. I want to pay to own them again on a (more) future-proof platform.

(1) That's sort of the point of chosing 5. To force yourself to consider the ones you REALLY want. :p
(2) I can be pretty vocal and sometimes unforgiving with certain games, but comic jumper might be one of the worst games I have ever played. I had forgotten it existed until you mentioned it in this post and I'm still angry enough that I want my MS points back for that dumpster fire.
(3) Sneak King was horrifying. Pocketbike Racer wasn't bad, but got old fast.
(4) I notice Sony games seem to be conspicuously absent from your list. Not sure if it's because you were trying to be practical and take shots at MS games because they're more likely to be ported.

Agreed - would love to play this again on Steam.

Lost Odyssey was one of those games that did not live up to the hype people gave to it, IMO. I thought it was pretty terrible overall, though it did have a touch of that addicting gameplay element as you neared the end of the game where it reminded me of FF6 -- where I used to grind to get every character to learn every spell. The immortal/human mechanic was a bit interesting, but the story was just horrible to me. It reminded me of the generic/great value Final Fantasy feel that games like Legend of Dragoon brought to the table.

Tellaerin

Steam keys for One Way Heroics are up for buyers on Playism.
Nothing on Indie Royale ATM, not sure if they will get added - the game was removed from Desura AFAIK.

Thanks for the heads-up.

It's interesting that the version I had installed was 44 meg (checked just now when I uninstalled), while the Steam version weighs in at 128 meg. I'm wondering what's been added since I last played it.

ArjanN

Huh. Bought the DOW2 pack a while ago and had no idea Retribution was standalone. If that's the only one on sale, probably not a good sign for the other games getting GFWL removed then.

DoW2 must be up there for game that's been on sale on Steam the most times.

Huh. Bought the DOW2 pack a while ago and had no idea Retribution was standalone. If that's the only one on sale, probably not a good sign for the other games getting GFWL removed then.

Well THQ is gone and Relic doesn't have the 40K license. It's not going to get removed. How does this effect singleplayer? If you're into DOW2 40K for the multiplayer, Retribution has you covered since all of that migrated onto Steam with its release. DOW2 and Chaos Rising really are only worth playing for singleplayer at this point.

I'll ask again, because it's super frustrating, but has anyone else run into the family sharing desynchronization bug? If I reset Steam without powering down first, it forgets that my friend is sharing with me. The games that are installed are the only things that show up under his games, and when I go to launch them it says "You need authorization", to which I type my PC name in, and it rejects it.

By deleting ClientRegistry.blob, it still prompts for authorization, but then it and says "Hey! We bet you didn't even know this, but your friend has actually already given you the all clear!" (paraphrasing, but it has that tone). From there I'm fine, but it just happens every single time that I reset Steam. Anyone else run into this issue? I hoped that by Family Sharing leaving beta today that it might be fixed, but it wasn't.

It's worth noting that on my friends end, nothing like this ever happens.

louiedog

I'll ask again, because it's super frustrating, but has anyone else run into the family sharing desynchronization bug? If I reset Steam without powering down first, it forgets that I'm sharing with my friend. The games that are installed are the only things that show up under his games, and when I go to launch them it says "You need authorization", to which I type my PC name in, and it rejects it.

By deleting ClientRegistry.blob, it still prompts for authorization, but then it and says "Hey! We bet you didn't even know this, but your friend has actually already given you the all clear!" (paraphrasing, but it has that tone). From there I'm fine, but it just happens every single time that I reset Steam. Anyone else run into this issue? I hoped that by Family Sharing leaving beta today that it might be fixed, but it wasn't.

It's worth noting that on my friends end, nothing like this ever happens.

Maybe you have some finicky hardware, drivers, or some application that creates a virtual network adapter that's being recognized slightly differently each time. Those kinds of things can cause Steam to think you've changed your hardware enough to be a different computer and force a reauthorization.

I didn't have a second display connected when my friends authorized my computer. Now if I start steam with one I cannot share. If I start Steam with the display turned off it works fine, even after I turn it back on while Steam is running. It took me awhile to figure out it was the second display, and when I tried to request authorization, it gave an error. It seems a overly sensitive.

ArjanN

Well THQ is gone and Relic doesn't have the 40K license. It's not going to get removed. How does this effect singleplayer? If you're into DOW2 40K for the multiplayer, Retribution has you covered since all of that migrated onto Steam with its release. DOW2 and Chaos Rising really are only worth playing for singleplayer at this point.

While you're right about the multiplayer, Sega own the rights to Dawn of War II now, and IMO they most likely will remove GFWL.

The ownership of the 40K license is not really relevant to these games being patched, and it's pretty obvious Games Workshop is letting anyone use that license now anyway.

Maybe you have some finicky hardware, drivers, or some application that creates a virtual network adapter that's being recognized slightly differently each time. Those kinds of things can cause Steam to think you've changed your hardware enough to be a different computer and force a reauthorization.

I didn't have a second display connected when my friends authorized my computer. Now if I start steam with one I cannot share. If I start Steam with the display turned off it works fine, even after I turn it back on while Steam is running. It seems a overly sensitive.

Interesting. I'll take a look at my drivers, and such. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Warning, do not touch the new 40k game. "game"

Just don't do it. Massive regret.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

The only thing that concerns me is co-op. A friend of mine got it late last year and we played a bit of the campaign together with intentions of finishing it at some point. To be honest, having a firm end-date on that will probably be better for getting on with the game.

And done.

Thanks for your help. I will make out with around $40 for a digital item that was essentially worthless to me.

TF2 market is aggressive. As soon as I listed on one of those trade sites the offers started flooding in. Going to try and get rid of my Ellis cap and Frying Pan now. Once I'm out, I'm out though.

Anteater

Guacamelee is still fun on a second playthrough, cool stuff, will probably finish it tomorrow. The pacing of the game is really great, didn't feel like there were any sections I didn't like since it's pretty short, but I never bothered to backtrack for hidden items on my first run, kind of not a big fan of that.

The freedom offered by Steam Family sharing is kind of blowing my mind.

Do other digital download services(Origin etc.) also offer anything similar? I think PSn does but I'm not familiar with it.

With the bitchfits publishers throw, could anyone other than Valve/steam in its dominant form on PC have pulled this off?

Of course GOG doesn't count with its DRM-less-ness.

Warning, do not touch the new 40k game. "game"

Just don't do it. Massive regret.

I thought GamesWorkshop was like really really anal about licensing.

They even shut down fan projects.

Why do they let crap like this get made? Seems schizophrenic.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
The freedom offered by Steam Family sharing is kind of blowing my mind.

Do other digital download services(Origin etc.) also offer anything similar? I think PSn does but I'm not familiar with it.

With the bitchfits publishers throw, could anyone other than Valve/steam in its dominant form on PC have pulled this off?

Of course GOG doesn't count with its DRM-less-ness.

Functionally it's something you could already do with Steam, Valve just made it more simple and straight-forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom