• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milamber

From the comments made by OR staff, it's going to be business as usual after the acquisition. Of courswz with significantly more backing than before.

I still have a difficult time believing that they wont have to bend to corporate interests at one point, as Facebook's model is much different from the Rift. I am starting to leqn towards optimistic.

Definitely. First FB does a hands off approach, once they get cosy, they slowly start making the rest of the decisions for the direction of the company. Then, we have to login to our facebook accounts every time we start it up to play our favorite eroge games. Final nail in coffin is a FB only app store.

buy Castle of Illusion[/spoiler]
Castle of Illusion is really fun, the regular price is a bit high for what you get, but it's a very enjoyable game that is also really pretty.
The music is also composed by Grant Kirkhope(Banjo and Kazooie composer) so unsurprisingly, the music is very good as well.

And it's made by Sega Studios Australia, so woo! My fellow Australian's be representin'

Wow!
Those character models for the cutscenes looked like they were taken out of Resident Evil 2 or something...that is...really really bad.

I..Kinda want to buy it though, partly because there's a chance it'll be removed and also because I want to experience it for myself.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow!
Those character models for the cutscenes looked like they were taken out of Resident Evil 2 or something...that is...really really bad.

I..Kinda want to buy it though, partly because there's a chance it'll be removed and also because I want to experience it for myself.

It's definitely one likely destined for Acti's chopping block.

Edit: Is anyone else having trouble with Enhanced Steam not diplaying card values on the badge page?

Yeah, it's been up for a while.
And even if they don't get rid of it soon, maybe it'll encourage Activision to put even more of their games on weekly sale, because as of late they've been doing pretty good with that stuff.

Last week it was Family Guy, and the week before I think it was The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

Garcia

I'll just wait to see what happens with OR. I abhor Facebook for so many reasons, so I can't be even slightly optimistic about the outcome. Time will tell.

MUnited83

For you.
Yeah, it's been up for a while.
And even if they don't get rid of it soon, maybe it'll encourage Activision to put even more of their games on weekly sale, because as of late they've been doing pretty good with that stuff.

Last week it was Family Guy, and the week before I think it was The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

I'm hoping for Amazing Spiderman next week.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member

Edit: Is anyone else having trouble with Enhanced Steam not pulling card values on the badge page?

Fast & Furious: Showdown is unadulterated tripe, nobody should waste their money purchasing it. Wheelman had rough edges, but at least the base game was enjoyable.

JaseC

Fast & Furious: Showdown is unadulterated tripe, nobody should waste their money purchasing it. Wheelman had rough edges, but at least the base game was enjoyable.

Correction: Nobody should waste their money purchasing it if they intend to play it! ;)

The sequel is around the corner so it wouldn't be the worst idea... even though nobody really cares. ;)

T4MsdBF.png
Yep...nobody ;-;

I actually really enjoyed The Amazing Spider-Man, it was totally a style over substance thing, but I just found swinging around the open world to be so much fun, I ended up 100%'ing just because I was enjoying it so much(Which is crazy, since there are 891 collectibles scattered around the openworld/levels)

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Correction: Nobody should waste their money purchasing it if they intend to play it! ;)

lol, good point!

Wha.. But.... Why!!!!??? I hate facebook, won't purchase Oculus VR :(

Same reason that Microsoft purchases new tech startups. Facebook has a lot of money but is stagnating when it comes to internally derived innovation. So they are using their funds to purchase smaller companies that are developing potentially lucrative innovations (see: Whatsapp, Instagram, etc).

JaseC

Hopefully they will patch in Steamworks multiplayer like they did with Company of Heroes.

Soulstorm has the same "for QA test" "xpec internal test" branches as the Dawn of War 2 games while Dark Crusade was patched out of the blue half an hour ago; in the case of the latter there were no dev branches so I assume GameSpy is still intact and today's patch was for something else (I'd check myself but I don't have it installed).

The game actually has some pretty good collectables.
700 Comic book pages in the open world, and(IIRC) after you collect X amount of comic books you can read a full comic book, I believe after you collect 10 comic book pages you get to read the entire first issue of Spider-Man, so that's pretty cool.

And when you find your first 500 comic book pages, it shows the remaining 200 on the mini-map, so you don't have to worry about spending thousands of hours looking for the final comic book when you're at 699/700

Then there are tech pieces, oscorp manuals and audio diaries that are scattered through the insides of buildings, and these are mostly used for gaining XP, but the audio diaries have some okay information on them.

And after you get enough collectibles/do side missions you unlock different Spider-Man outfits, so you can get to run around as the Symbiote Spider-Man, or as Scarlett Spider-Man and some other Spider-Man outfits.

I do love my collectables. Perhaps I should play ASM at some point. ;)

That's one thing that Double Helix abomination Strider has going for it. There's a ton of collectibles... but 90% of them are useless/meaningless and no achievements are tied to them, so there's really no reason to get them.

JaseC

That's one thing that Double Helix abomination Strider has going for it. There's a ton of collectibles... but 90% of them are useless/meaningless and no achievements are tied to them, so there's really no reason to get them.

Like that's ever stopped me before. ;)

impact

Banned

Can you at least play that piece of shit with the dpad on PC? (Strider)

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member

The feel of collecting. As someone who collected every pointless collectible in AssCreed IV, I can say that sometimes just collecting pointless collectibles is mindless entertainment.

You can, but you have to edit a bunch of .ini files and stuff like that in order to get it to work.
When DH was asked about rebinding keys/dpad movement this is what they said

We believe the standard controls for Strider provides the best possible experience, but there are guides available for those who want to go beyond and make personal adjustments to their experience.

Not by default.
I don't think it'd help much anyway. :p

The feel of collecting. As someone who collected every pointless collectible in AssCreed IV, I can say that sometimes just collecting pointless collectibles is mindless entertainment.

Hmmm... most of the time, I need a reason to collect. Even achievements on x360 couldn't make me bother with the flags in the original AC... but in AC2, since I'd gotten all the OTHER collectibles, I felt obligated to 100% the game.

You can, but you have to edit a bunch of .ini files and stuff like that in order to get it to work.
When DH was asked about rebinding keys/dpad movement this is what they said

Again, not by default. But hey, apparently you can rebind if you jump through some hoops, so yay.

It's a terrible Strider game and a mediocre Metroidvania experience at best.
It's firmly entrenched in the top 10 of my "I wanted this game to be great and it broke my heart" list.
The remixes are pretty good at least.
Kazzakh's Theme is so damn catchy, I'm glad I pre-ordered just so I can listen to that song on repeat.

So good <3

are you saying I should remove it from my wishlist and forget about it's existence?

I paid $10 for it and felt ripped off.
Honestly, even if I paid less than $5, I wouldn't be happy with it.
I would highly suggest trying a demo first -- I'm sure if the demo has at least 2-3 screens of the enemies and climbing things, you just need to imagine doing that for 4-6 hours with no real variety.

The remixes are pretty good at least.
Kazzakh's Theme is so damn catchy, I'm glad I pre-ordered just so I can listen to that song on repeat.

So good <3

I can't say I recall much of the music... nothing stood out to me like soundtracks for other games do... but I can't recall anything that made me want to turn the music off, either.

It's alright.

I dunno, I didn't think it was bad. It's not great, but it doesn't suck.

EDIT: lol, frost, our opinions differ so strongly on two certain ninja games, don't they?

Apparently. ;)

The original Strider wasn't exactly a great game to begin with and the new version was basically a re-skinned Guacamelee which was more than fine as a light metroidvania.

I disagree. I love the original Strider. I would do unspeakable things to get Strider and Strider 2 on Steam. It's a very solid side scrolling platformer with style and interesting mechanics. Unfortunately, the best I can do for this right now is the Capcom Classics PSP game that's on my Vita. I even loved the NES game that -- while I was disappointed it wasn't the arcade version when I got it for my birthday as a kid -- was sort of a metroidvania in it's own right. But I do not like this most recent attempt at a "revival" of the franchise, there's almost nothing good for me to say about it.

As far as the comparison goes, I think you're dead wrong -- Guacamelee is superior to the Double Helix Strider in all ways... it blows the game out of the water in every aspect.

Its better than the Metroidvanias Konami and Nintendo put out last gen.

What metroidvania style games did Konami put out? We're talking PS3/x360/Wii? Are you including DS? Because that would automatically make me think you were crazy.

I'm not including DS because otherwise my argument will fall to shit.

Ok, I thought so.
So what Nintendo/Konami metroidvania games were on the Wii/PS3/x360 last gen?

JaseC

Epic should finally port Shadow Complex to the PC to apologise for Bulletstorm going the way of the dodo.

Epic should finally port Shadow Complex to the PC to apologise for Bulletstorm going the way of the dodo.

Pfft. Eff that. They should fix Bulletstorm and port Gears of War. :p
Though I'm no fan of Shadow Complex either, I'd probably rank it above Strider for the most part.

whynotboth.gif

That's fine -- I have no issues with them doing Shadow Complex after they fix Bulletstorm and then port Gears. :D

JaseC

Pfft. Eff that. They should fix Bulletstorm and port Gears of War. :p
Though I'm no fan of Shadow Complex either, I'd probably rank it above Strider for the most part.

That's fine -- I have no issues with them doing Shadow Complex after they fix Bulletstorm and then port Gears. :D

Gears is entirely in Microsoft's court now, which, in my admittedly optimistic view, actually increases the likelihood of a positive outcome.

Gears is entirely in Microsoft's court now, which, in my admittedly optimistic view, actually increases the likelihood of a positive outcome.

Put it on the list of immediate must buys for me if it ever ends up on Steam.
There's a ton of MS games I'd actually buy, even those I didn't like... the Halo series, for example -- I'd give that another go on PC and see if I like it any better this time around. :lol

Knurek

I'm positive once x360 XBLA/Games on Demand goes the way of the dodo (soonish, I think, since XBONE isn't compatible with x360 apps), we'll see a whole new wave of Steam ports.

//EDIT

Creeper World 3 Steam keys available for previous buyers
Game was in IndieFort Spring Bundle 2014 (the one with Paper Sorcerer pricing mistake)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom