• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

Alice Madness Returns impressions - I love how the game looks, but this is the first UE3 game, when I'm hitting stuttering on level load issues (or first one when I actually notice them).

Pretty bad at that - game runs at fluid 60fps, you enter a new area or just break some crates for teeth - boom, 2-3 fps for a second or so...

Anyone know if anything that can be done about it, short of buying an SSD drive? I have 8 GB of RAM, so why can't I preload most of the game to it?

Not sure if I still shouldn't switch to Easy - I'm still in chapter 1 and fights are already getting kind of hard - and when you die during fight segments, you need to replay from last checkpoint. Weird decision that - missing a jump returns you to the last ledge, why couldn't this work for fights?

Deques

Alice Madness Returns impressions - I love how the game looks, but this is the first UE3 game, when I'm hitting stuttering on level load issues (or first one when I actually notice them).

Pretty bad at that - game runs at fluid 60fps, you enter a new area or just break some crates for teeth - boom, 2-3 fps for a second or so...

Anyone know if anything that can be done about it, short of buying an SSD drive? I have 8 GB of RAM, so why can't I preload most of the game to it?

Not sure if I still shouldn't switch to Easy - I'm still in chapter 1 and fights are already getting kind of hard - and when you die during fight segments, you need to replay from last checkpoint. Weird decision that - missing a jump returns you to the last ledge, why couldn't this work for fights?

The game gets repetitive after the first chapter. And those chapters are very long for no reason. You should play it on easy since I didn't find normal any rewarding

Kaleinc

Banned

Did you try disabling Physix or changing any other settings?

Ruruja

Good morning on this fine Tuesday guys. I think I'll spend today getting some card drops, I've got loads to get.

Mugatu

It's been a while but I don't remember this problem at all and I ran it from a regular drive.

tsab

Apologies if it's already answered but is Castlevania Mirror of Fate HD region locked?

I just preordered it from Amazon.com and I am from Europe

Parsnip

Nvidia or AMD? If you are on nvidia and you have already turned Physx low, you could check the nvidia cp and change the physx settings there. It's probably set to automatic, could be worth the shot to switch that to either cpu or gpu and see what happens.

There's also a trick I used a while back that reduced level streaming stutter on my previous system, which is to set "OnlyStreamInTextures" setting to True.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Star Wars Pinball: Heroes Within, a new pack for Pinball FX2 is coming in late April: http://www.gameinformer.com/games/s...r-wars-pinball-heroes-within-impressions.aspx

Video of the Han Solo table: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdDfr-Vv-7I
I should play the ones I've already bought. I never play pinball because I suck at it, and I suck at pinball because I never play it. It's a vicious circle of suckage.

Of course, I'm going to buy this pack as soon as it goes on sale.

Well, you could use ramdisk to install the game on to your RAM, but I don't think 8 GBs is enough.

Firebrand

What's your CPU?

Falexandre said:
Everything newer than Sons of Abraham is full price, just like steam.
True, with one exception: Military Orders unit graphics pack is 50% off. Exciting stuff.

derExperte

I should play the ones I've already bought. I never play pinball because I suck at it, and I suck at pinball because I never play it. It's a vicious circle of suckage.

Of course, I'm going to buy this pack as soon as it goes on sale.

A lot of the Pinball FX2 tables are easy, some say too easy.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Good Guy Triumph has made Age of Wonders 3 region-free:

38809 Age of Wonders III Prepurchase (RU/CIS) said:
Removed onlyallowrunincountries – AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD RU TJ TM UZ UA
38813 Age of Wonders III Deluxe Edition Prepurchase (RU/CIS) said:
Removed onlyallowrunincountries – AM AZ BY GE KZ KG MD RU TJ TM UZ UA

~$16.88 and ~$19.70 respectively, not factoring in a profit margin.

Firebrand

Pentium G2030, Radeon 6770, 8GB RAM, win7
UE3 sometimes have issues with load times on dualcore systems, I experienced it in Mass Effect 2 and Last Remnant where loading screens lasted for 30+ secs instead of a few seconds.

The workaround is to open the task manager and play around with the process affinities by rightclicking the process. I'd remove CPU#1, then enable it, then remove CPU#0 and back, and maybe alt+tabbing back into the game in between. After that load times would be normal. All of this is probably not necessary (the alt+tab especially), on the off chance this actually fixes your issues you can probably figure out a quicker way to do it.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.

Locking the game at 60 through Rivatuner and setting my monitor's Hz at 60 worked for me. Still not perfect, but the stutters and enmormous drops became very, very rare.

Fights will get much, much easier after a few upgrades.

Chronoja

A heads up for any collectors. Nosgoth went into early access but it'll be f2p once it leaves that phase so this is your chance to get it as a +1 to the games list. Another one for that list of yours jaseC.

JaseC

A heads up for any collectors. Nosgoth went into early access but it'll be f2p once it leaves that phase so this is your chance to get it as a +1 to the games list. Another one for that list of yours jaseC.

Is there an ETA on when it's leaving Early Access? Squeenix has imposed price parity so the Russian prices are, relatively speaking, absolutely insane.

JaseC

Nah, it has to be those -10% Toki Tori 2+.
At one point there was over 50 pages of inventory of those in Trashbot.

Well, context matters. That was given to owners of Toki Tori when the game launched, plus it stacked atop the pre-existing Summer Sale discount, whereas the -33% Psychonauts coupon was a recent reward for crafting even though the game's been bundled and 75%+ off a million times.

Chronoja

Is there an ETA on when it's leaving Early Access? Squeenix has imposed price parity so the Russian prices are, relatively speaking, absolutely insane.

Can't seem to find any word on a timeframe for the open beta (when it goes f2p). If I find anything I'll post it here.

Grief.exe

Not a bad deal for people who enjoy FPS games and some "revolutionary" plots (I could personally never get into the games)

Have you tried System Shock 2 by chance?

I played both Bioshock 2 and Infinite for the first time last year, enjoyed the former while not liking the latter. Need to replay the first game at one point, haven't played it in years.

We're putting our house on the market soon. This is really going to cut down on the Dark souls time over the coming weeks.

Prepare to Buy

Souls takes precedence over everything.

Pakoe

This just made me laugh so hard:

D3D84C1804EB942318C118B2CD29D59CD722322B

Might wanna PM him the link instead and edit your post ;)

I can't help but notice you're not my Steam friend. We should remedy that.

Why would you not like good games? Are you Derrick 2.0?

I like good games just fine. But remember, good is subjective.
And I'm definitely not Derrick. I just have opinions that doesn't coincide with the masses at times and I'm not afraid to voice them. :p

As for Shadow Complex, It was okay, but I don't think it deserves half the hype people gave to it. It's been a long time since I played it and I honestly don't remember a lot, other than some negatives. After being super hyped for it... and then feeling like something was just off... I recall thinking "I'm going to finish out the achievement list and be done with this.". And I did just that. However, it's worth noting that while I sort of compare Strider to in in terms of look/feel, it did a lot of things better than Strider overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom