• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

HoosTrax

If they release Viva Pinata on Steam, with Steam Achievements, I'm buying it day one.
I'd play the hell out of it, even if I had to buy another copy of it, this time on Steam.

I don't have much hope for it, as it seems to be abandoned, unless they can pull something off similar to AoE2. Harvest Moon / Pokemon game, with Steam trading integrated? *drool*

I should just stop right now, setting myself up for major disappointment for something that'll never come.

Chronoja

Steam store was down for a while there and now that it's back, it seems really fast to load. Pages seem to load almost instantly for me. Maybe it's just server load is low because it's just came back online.

Steam community seems to be down, can't reach anything on that side.

natertots

If they release Viva Pinata on Steam, with Steam Achievements, I'm buying it day one.

I remember when that game came out. My brother thought I was a weirdo for playing it. That's until I convinced him to try it and he ended up having to buy a copy for himself. I had a lot of good times with that game. I would definitely purchase a copy and enjoy it all over again.

louiedog

I remember when that game came out. My brother thought I was a weirdo for playing it. That's until I convinced him to try it and he ended up having to buy a copy for himself. I had a lot of good times with that game. I would definitely purchase a copy and enjoy it all over again.

My roommate did the same. I woke up the next morning and saw he'd earned roughly 3-4 hours worth of achievements after I'd gone to bed at around midnight.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I remember trying Viva Pinata and not getting into it, I might just not have been ready for that sort of game though. I'd give it a shot if it came to Steam though, I'm sure.

Grief.exe

Twisted Pixel has been toiling away at a patch for Ms. Splosion Man for over two weeks now. If it's to remove GFWL -- which is surely the case as it's the game's first update in over four months -- then the act bodes well for Microsoft's other GFWL titles... including those not presently on Steam.

Is the IP actually owned by Microsoft in this case? Or is it just a 3rd party developer that partnered with Microsoft to get on XBLA, see: Noogy with Dust, Klei Mark of the Ninja, etc.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is the IP actually owned by Microsoft in this case? Or is it just a 3rd party developer that partnered with Microsoft to get on XBLA, see: Noogy with Dust, Klei Mark of the Ninja, etc.

Microsoft owns Twisted Pixel.

Sini

and the shooting... Oh god the shooting. Instead of recoil, the fov suddenly zooms out for a second.
4ujTJkD.gif

derExperte

My roommate did the same. I woke up the next morning and saw he'd earned roughly 3-4 hours worth of achievements after I'd gone to bed at around midnight.

It can be addicitve and charming for a while but there's lots of repetition like the minigames you have to repeat over and over. In the end there's not a lot to do other than checking and fulfilling the requirements for a species and afair the interface was a pain, took way too long and too many clicks to do anything.

Twisted Pixel has been toiling away at a patch for Ms. Splosion Man for over two weeks now. If it's to remove GFWL -- which is surely the case as it's the game's first update in over four months -- then the act bodes well for Microsoft's other GFWL titles... including those not presently on Steam.

My hope for Microsoft to do sensible things is really low.

But we must have hope for this. Viva Pinata would look glorious in high resolution.

Parsnip

If they release it, I hope they allow redemption of gfwl keys. I have mine stored safely, for a rainy day.

JaseC

If they release it, I hope they allow redemption of gfwl keys. I have mine stored safely, for a rainy day.

Yeah, I still have my retail copy of Gears, receipt and all.

Edit: Well, the disc is missing... and I think I have my receipt. I scanned it some months ago just in case I were to lose it and I must have placed it somewhere instead of putting it back in the case. Even if I accidentally threw it out I'll be okay as long as I back up the scan.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But we must have hope for this. Viva Pinata would look glorious in high resolution.

As far as I know, the PC version of Viva Pinata already supports "HD" (1920x1080) resolution.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Do you know if it supports downsampling or not?
I'd love to see 4k Viva Pinata screenshots.

WSGF indicates that you can set the resolution manually in a config file. So... maybe?

Full disclosure: I don't own Viva Pinata on PC, as I'm waiting for a Steam release.

From what I understand, in DX applications it is trivial to set resolution options so we can safely assume that it will.

Only a select few games restrict this and it is mainly due to UI issues or developer oversight.

WSGF indicates that you can set the resolution manually in a config file. So... maybe?

Full disclosure: I don't own Viva Pinata on PC, as I'm waiting for a Steam release.

Well, I really hope it does because the game is gorgeous.
Fingers crossed that it does get a Steam release, I would buy so many copies of it during the winter sale, everyone needs Viva Pinata in their life.

Everyone.

Parsnip

I hope my 10 cent GFWL copy of AoE 3 eventually redeems the Steam version.
Me too.

I think my Max Payne 2 gfwl copy is from that same deal thing they tried few years back. But since I already have it on Steam, I guess I would give that one away.

Assuming anything redeems at all! I think I should stop making plans for these keys for now. :p

Ruruja

Has this been posted yet? New update for Crusader Kings II.

MAJOR CHANGES
- Major map revisions and additions: East Africa, Armenia, Central Asia, Siberia and India
- Added Steam matchmaking support
- Added Steam workshop support
- Added diplomatic range, blocking diplomacy and councillor actions vs too distant characters
- Factions will now revolt as a single unified realm under a temporary title
- Added attrition for units that have been "out-of-supply" for too long (can't live off the land in neutral counties, etc)
- Added support to change window mode setting: fullscreen, borderless or windowed
- New unit type system allowing for more flexible unit types, including War Elephants, Camel Warriors and Horse Archers
- Blocked "North Korea Mode"; you now lose huge parts of all income and levies if your demesne is too big
- Save games are now compressed by default (can be toggled on and off)
- Major memory and performance optimizations

full notes here

JaseC

I've hemmed and hawed about buying a copy from OzGameShop for $9.99 but I don't want to run the risk of having it be a paper weight.

Kifimbo

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Serious Sam HD The Second Encounter -- MB-9EA01DB14E1C8C54 - Taken by TuckingFypo

HoosTrax

Personally, I can't make heads or tails of the pinball games on Steam. It's like there's a bunch of random things happening, stuff getting activated, and I have no idea what I did to trigger them, and what I'm supposed to do to trigger the next event. It all seems rather poorly explained. Too much flashy, shiny, blinky stuff everywhere, that I can't pick out what things I should be aiming for.

I found Earth Defense and Sorcerer's Lair really easy, and I'm not that good at pinball either. I'm not sure if these are with the base game or not though.
Sorcerer's Lair is free with the initial download. Other easy standalone tables are Ms. Splosion Man and Paranormal.

Tizoc

Does The Fall have cards at least?
If so I'll get those then delete it, shame it's a bad game >_<
On the plus side, if I make $5 extra steam bucks and use them towards a game, I can make up for the $10 I spent on it =V

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
So, what type of game is Escape Goat 2 exactly? A puzzle-platformer, I get that, but i'm getting the impression that it's also a bit of a Metroidvania. That DoubleFine movie and the game's trailer where pretty great, made me quite interested. Didn't even know it was coming out before.

I was talking about Viva Pinata with some people yesterday, funnily enough. One of my favorite games ever but it's been so long since I last played it. Curious to how it looks now my PC can actually run the darn thing.
Hnnngh...
...Alpha Protocol, Assassin's Creed II and Thief can wait. I'm going gardening.

Lunaniem

On the plus side, if I make $5 extra steam bucks and use them towards a game, I can make up for the $10 I spent on it =V

It does have cards.

Grief.exe

It does have them, actually.

So, what type of game is Escape Goat 2 exactly? I'm getting the impression that it's a Metroidvania. That DoubleFine movie and the game's trailer where pretty great, made me quite interested. Didn't even know it was coming out before.
It's a single room puzzle game that blends mechanics with timing, finesse and platforming. A bit similar to Solomon's Key. You can try the first one here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom