• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knurek

So, what type of game is Escape Goat 2 exactly? A puzzle-platformer, I get that, but i'm getting the impression that it's also a bit of a Metroidvania. That DoubleFine movie and the game's trailer where pretty great, made me quite interested. Didn't even know it was coming out before..

Think FEZ, only with proper puzzles and none of the QR/fake language bullshit.

Corpekata

Banned
I'm actually kinda digging the Fall, jankiness aside.

I actually think the whole "you can buy whatever" thing works well in this type of game. So many games that give you "choices" tend to have very little incentive to get you out of your comfort zone. You play the saint version and then maybe a next playthrough you're an asshole just because it's the opposite. Very few games actually gives you real reasons to change your style. One of the few games that did, for me, was Risen. Early on at least, you're broke as hell, and EVERYTHING costs money, including just leveling up your skills. So I took seedier jobs, or robbed people, which is not the way I play most games that give you choices.

The Fall sort of has this too, though not as well designed because it originated from tacky microtransaction design decisions. But the stingy economy and wealth of choices has actually pushed me to play a bit differently, being a bit more aggressive than I am in these types of games (the story set up of being desperate fugitives helps too).

I wouldn't say, go rush out and buy it. The enemy NPCs are PS2 level, there's clearly some residual touch screen bullshit, though most of it can be avoided with hotkeys. Areas are small, but there's a pretty decent amount of them, including quite a few optional ones. It's a solid sale game, I'd say. Don't think it is quite on the level of some of the early reactions.

Zafir

Reminds me that actually was going to download my cheapo gfwl copy of Viva Pinata while I still can. Would love it if they released it on Steam.

Backlogger

Does The Fall have cards at least?
If so I'll get those then delete it, shame it's a bad game >_<
On the plus side, if I make $5 extra steam bucks and use them towards a game, I can make up for the $10 I spent on it =V

Is it bad because its a mobile port? I played maybe an hour of it on the iPad and I enjoyed it, but could never play more than 10 mins with the touch controls.

I felt they did a good job with the controls, but even the best touch controls suck on a shooter.

I plan on getting it, but will probably wait for a 75% off sale

People waiting for Valve to make any statement regarding this whole VR misery....not sure they'll get any.

Also, Valve should address a more pressing matter.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Too many recent Squeenix deals and sales. I have a feeling that a bundle is coming soon...

Is it very long? Ep 1 was pretty short.

Kind of depends on how you play. Some people call episode 1 short, I could see how someone could easily do it in 45 mins, it took me 3 hours yesterday though haha. This one..I'd say it'll take me 4-5, but I could see 1 and a half to 2 hours for quick players.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
It's a single room puzzle game that blends mechanics with timing, finesse and platforming. A bit similar to Solomon's Key. You can try the first one here.
Thanks mate! That demo is pretty fun. Purple pixel goat's are suprisingly cute. :)
Think FEZ, only with proper puzzles and none of the QR/fake language bullshit.
I haven't played a lot of Fez, but I did like those obtuse hidden thingy's I didn't even know where there untill I read it on the web. Completionists nightmare, though.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
People waiting for Valve to make any statement regarding this whole VR misery....not sure they'll get any.

Also, Valve should address a more pressing matter.

I don't see why some feel that Valve should comment. SteamVR is vendor-agnostic and Valve and Oculus working closely together is due to nothing more than the fact the Rift was and still is the only VR device with a public release.

Dolor

I think telling my wife we need to put off moving and having kids might be more difficult than dark souls

Marriage (followed by kids) is the one true hardcore game. It makes Dark Souls look like Secrets of the Magic Crystal.

Has this been posted yet? New update for Crusader Kings II.

full notes here

I love to hear this.

With my experience with the likes of Rome 2 and Cities in Motion 2 having Steam Workshop support, I think I could argue that strategy games, since they are so primarily systems driven, are maybe the best genre for mod support. Just being able to change the ruleset (e.g. having 4 turns each year in Rome 2) makes a huge difference in the game's enjoyability.

After trading cards, workshop is probably my favorite Steam feature.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Paper Dungeons is a fantasy board-game mixing tactics and roguelike, boosted by online content. With the ability to create and share online your own levels, you are up for an infinite replay value! The game is visualized as a classic tabletop board game with dice and tokens.

Early Access; $14.99.

Edit: The game was in Groupees' Build a Greenlight Bundle 5 so Steam keys should be forthcoming.

4ujTJkD.gif

holy shit.

:dead

Just finished Burial at Sea Ep..2, my mind is full of fuck.

yes. Excellent news. Need to get on that today.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So about 15-20 times a day now, I'm getting "offers" from marketing companies that want me to "partner" with them so they can help monetize Enhanced Steam.

But don't worry - while Enhanced Steam desperately needs money for upgraded servers, I don't want to stoop to the point of the extension including spyware or adware or anything like that.

Someone here suggested I look into Patreon - I'm thinking of starting a campaign there to help fund Enhanced Steam, but I'd like to get some input from the community of users here.

For those that are unfamiliar, Patreon is a lot like Kickstarter, except that instead of making a one-time payment to help fund something, you commit to making a monthly donation to fund a project's continued existence.

• Is Patreon's "Commit to X number of dollars per month" way of doing things something that anyone here would be interested in?
  • I'm having trouble thinking of what I could offer as different reward tiers for supporting Enhanced Steam with different amounts. Enhanced Steam has always operated on the principle that all of it's features should be free for everyone, regardless of whether or not you would be able to support it financially. Knowing that, does anyone have any ideas of things I could offer Enhanced Steam supporters of different reward tiers?
  • As several of you have made one-time donations to Enhanced Steam in the past (thank you again!!!), would you feel upset in any way by the change in how the project is funded?
With Enhanced Steam's growth and the ever increasing costs of it's servers and bandwidth, I'm just looking for ways to "keep the lights on" without breaking my own pocket book. In the 15 months that Enhanced Steam has been online, there has only been one month where the donations to Enhanced Steam exceeded it's bandwidth and hosting costs. As I've said above, a huge "thank you" to everyone that's donated already!

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Viva Pinata just asked me to insert the floppy named Disc 2.

firefly.gif

mrgone

Early Access; $14.99.

Edit: The game was in Groupees' Build a Greenlight Bundle 5 so Steam keys should be forthcoming.

Holy guacamole! That bundle price was a gift. Maybe I'm going to miss Greenlight a little after all.

Anyone play this recently? Is it complete enough to be playable? Not sure if I should get it now or wait for them to finish it.

If it helps the game's already been down to $12.49 during the last winter sale. You could likely wait and get it for much less before it's out of early access, even.

Turfster

Is Patreon's "Commit to X number of dollars per month" way of doing things something that anyone here would be interested in?
It makes sense.
You're providing a huge service to people, saving them lots of time and grief.
Surely that's worth something each month, isn't it?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It makes sense.
You're providing a huge service to people, saving them lots of time and grief.
Surely that's worth something each month, isn't it?

Yeah, it makes sense to me too, since people wouldn't really be paying for my time so much as paying for the servers that everyone uses - which have a monthly fee to operate.

Patreon is nice because it allows you to commit to as little as $1 or as much as you would like. Even if 0.01% of Enhanced Steam's average daily users donated $1 a month...

There would be incredible things I would be able to add to Enhanced Steam without having to worry about the load it would put on the servers.

Question, around how much a month do you need to keep functioning? On average what percentage of that do you take in in donations? Do you predict operating costs to go up in the near future?

Right now, and on average for the last few months, donations have covered about 40% of the current operating costs.

I anticipate the operating costs of Enhanced Steam to go up pretty considerably soon, as I've reached the peak of what is available on my current hosting platform and the next available pricing tier from my host is about twice as much as I currently pay.

During busy days now (ie. Tuesday ie. almost every day) the server has between 1-2 hours of down time due to excessive load.

* Is Patreon's "Commit to X number of dollars per month" way of doing things something that anyone here would be interested in?

* I'm having trouble thinking of what I could offer as different reward tiers for supporting Enhanced Steam with different amounts. Enhanced Steam has always operated on the principle that all of it's features should be free for everyone, regardless of whether or not you would be able to support it financially. Knowing that, does anyone have any ideas of things I could offer Enhanced Steam supporters of different reward tiers?

I think it's a great idea and hopefully will help keep your operating costs down. What if you offered extra profile options or flair for people who support you? Could be as simple as an extra badge for profile pages, extra backgrounds, or some sort of name formatting that indicates you're a supporter. It'd only be visible to people who use ES, but there could be interest there. I was going to suggest maybe having supporters on a faster server compared to free users, but that might get pricey having to maintain two servers.

Tizoc

Gonna try Mercenary Kings tonight after getting cards from The Fall and finishing up Yaiba.

It resembling Metal Slug's gameplay is really gtting me hyped.

Right now, and on average for the last few months, donations have covered about 40% of the current operating costs.

I anticipate the operating costs of Enhanced Steam to go up pretty considerably soon, as I've reached the peak of what is available on my current hosting platform and the next available pricing tier from my host is about twice as much as I currently pay.

During busy days now (ie. Tuesday ie. almost every day) the server has between 1-2 hours of down time due to excessive load.

I'd say Patreon sounds like a good idea. You might be able to use cosmetics as benefits for donators. Something like customizable backgrounds.

jshackles

I think it's a great idea and hopefully will help keep your operating costs down. What if you offered extra profile options or flair for people who support you? Could be as simple as an extra badge for profile pages, extra backgrounds, or some sort of name formatting that indicates you're a supporter. It'd only be visible to people who use ES, but there could be interest there. I was going to suggest maybe having supporters on a faster server compared to free users, but that might get pricey having to maintain two servers.

Having multiple servers for different users would actually (in reality) probably slow things down. Their request would hit the "regular" server, which would be checked to see if you're on the "VIP list" and then if so you'd be directed to the "premium" server for processing.

Having profile flair as an Enhanced Steam supporter might work though. I would have to have a way for Patreon supporters to send me their Steam username to make it work, though.

Terra_Ex

Crusader Kings II Sons of Abraham DLC is currently 75% off on Gamefly UK, use UKMAR20OFF to bring down the price even further. Good deal seeing as the DLC isn't discounted on steam.

They seem to be fine with using Steamworks, but they do still have some games only available on the W8 store like Spartan Assault.

My fear is that Microsoft will stick these on the Windows 8 store like they have with Ilomilo. Microsoft's pc interest is haphazard and impossible to understand. Stuff like Age of Empires HD, Age of Mythology Extended Edition and Lococycle get released on steam, but Ilomilo and Hydro Thunder Hurricane get locked to Windows 8 store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom