• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

derExperte

Pinball Arcade points out its tables' easter eggs and activation thingies, and even makes mini goals out of them tied to achievements; it's just that those instructions, I assume, are lost in the translation for most pinball beginners. It could definitely use a basic techniques tutorial, and maybe even a videogame-y training mode for each table (cross-sections of a table's expected play). Not too much to ask, I don't think, Farsight Studios.
I bet they don't know how to play pinball either. That's why they haven't done it. Goddamn phonies.

I'm right now cleaning up the last standard goals of PA's Season 1, only Twilight Zone is left. They really help to a) learn the tables and b) if you only concentrate on that one goal (if it's not something like reaching 5.000.000 points) it forces you to learn to control the ball properly.

And cool links, never thought to check Reddit for pinball stuff.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Speaking of Astats and the like;

What are some other good/great/essential third party Steam sites?

AchievementStats.com
AStats
Wastedonsteam
SteamDB
Steam Calculator (SteamDB)
Steam Calculator (Alabaster Slim)
SteamGauge
SteamGifts
CheapShark
IsThereAnyDeal.com

Never heard of the Alabaster Slim Steam Calculator before this post, but it actually has a concurrent calculation for the worth of your Steam account if you bought everything on sale, which I like. I do wish there was a way to actually edit the prices of games on sites like this to reflect what you actually paid rather than them just tallying up the current price. It'd be easier than starting my own spreadsheet.

Wastedonsteam always seems a bit slow and doesn't seem like it's updating correctly.

Playfire and Raptr both have achievement tracking, but they're pretty console dominated. Playfire does give you GMG credit for them though.

Is that a question you need to ask when it's just 70 cents that's at stake? ;)

I figured you'd lobby for +1 game count for $0.70. :lol You're one of 2 people on my list that own it.

ah man could have sworn I owned Explodemon in a bundle but I dont :(

on the bright side I had forgotten we got one finger death punch keys

You didn't buy the Indieroyale April Fools Bundle?
Last I checked it didn't give Steam keys though, only Desura.
Edit: hey, it has steam keys now. Hooray. But I can't redeem until I get my Batman or Castlevania keys for game # 1300.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Let's not pretend that JaseC's post count isn't slightly inflated by responding to every Saorise N'Shine joke made in the thread.

I do my best to include my replies to Saoirse stuff in a post that's otherwise on-topic. If the thread is moving slowly and there's nothing Steam-related to incorporate that's not my fault. ;)

TF2Outpost for trading to get games at Russian prices. :)

Steam Trades, too.

Tagyhag

So I put Explodemon on my wishlist yesterday, and today I got a 30% off coupon.

Could there be a system like that in place? That'd be pretty cool.

zkylon

zkylewd
Not even the end? To be honest, that's the only part I remembered about it. Luckily episode 2 doesn't call back to it much.
i remember being weirded out by the end but that's about it

i might play it all over again since it's fairly short

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
That feel. . . I know it perfectly :(. I got all excited with my first 2 Guacamelee foils only to find out they weren't even that valuable. </3

I never got a foil, I'm level 33 and sold more cards than I can remember.

JaseC

So I put Explodemon on my wishlist yesterday, and today I got a 30% off coupon.

Could there be a system like that in place? That'd be pretty cool.

The coupons were given to owners of Stealth Bastard and Velocity Ultra. If you own both then you got two.

Chronoja

Speaking of Astats and the like;

What are some other good/great/essential third party Steam sites?

*list of urls*

Never heard of the Alabaster Slim Steam Calculator before this post, but it actually has a concurrent calculation for the worth of your Steam account if you bought everything on sale, which I like. I do wish there was a way to actually edit the prices of games on sites like this to reflect what you actually paid rather than them just tallying up the current price. It'd be easier than starting my own spreadsheet.

Wastedonsteam always seems a bit slow and doesn't seem like it's updating correctly.

Playfire and Raptr both have achievement tracking, but they're pretty console dominated. Playfire does give you GMG credit for them though.

Oh wow. Thanks for this post, while I'm aware of most of these sites already I'd never looked at steamgauge.com and it appears that this site retains the decimal values for time played for all games (to two decimal places at that!!). Most other sites that pulled their data from steam ended up rounding all their times to integer hours when steam made some change along the line (the only place that retains a decimal is on the store page, and on the profile up to ~20 hours after which it is dropped), which, to someone who wants to submit accurate times to howlongtobeat.com it was quite an annoying change. Sure you could say in the scope of hours the minutes mean very little, but it's still nice to be accurate.

Oreoleo

People constantly kill me with just 2~3 rifle shots in CS:GO, how do people get so good?

By lowering their mouse sensitivity. Being able to fine tune for the headshot is infinitely more important than being able to do a 180 in one fluid motion. If you play well tactically you should basically never have anyone sneaking up behind you.

JaseC

People constantly kill me with just 2~3 rifle shots in CS:GO, how do people get so good?

Practice. If you're finding online play overwhelming I'd recommend playing against bots to form an understanding of map layouts and how the various weapons behave; it's what I did way back when I began playing the series.

Hahaha, I technically don't own that yet... so no. :D

Haha, well, in that case I've no idea as Explodemon is Curve's third Steam game. Maybe you received it erroneously.

By lowering their mouse sensitivity. Being able to fine tune for the headshot is infinitely more important than being able to do a 180 in one fluid motion. If you play well tactically you should basically never have anyone sneaking up behind you.
I can't even handle frontal encounter without an AWP.

Practice. If you're finding online play overwhelming I'd recommend playing against bots to form an understanding of map layouts and how the various weapons behave; it's what I did way back when I began playing the series.
Well the expert bots are too easy.

JaseC

Well the expert bots are too easy.

Well la-de-da. :p

Edit: Can anybody here confirm that this is still the message you see when initiating an automatic refund on a pre-order?
refundy8fax.jpg

Since I bought Age of Wonders 3 through a trader I can't check myself.

Edit edit: Never mind. I just recommend to Support that the phrasing be updated if it hasn't already been changed since I was told that unused gifts can't be refunded.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Amazon is telling me that they will get me my key for Castlevania MOF in roughly 3 hours. I hope it's there when I wake up and downloadable. Somehow I know it won't be.

JaseC

Amazon is telling me that they will get me my key for Castlevania MOF in roughly 3 hours. I hope it's there when I wake up and downloadable. Somehow I know it won't be.

You'll probably get your key but at this juncture the game's state is still set to prerelease and with 13 hours to go until release I don't see a pre-load happening.

There's a huge skill gap between bots and online players I tell you.

Sure, but the bots being stupid doesn't really matter if you want to familiarise yourself with the maps and improve your aiming before tackling online again.

Backlogger

So I bought Fable, and the remaining Thief and Hitman games from Humble that I didn't already own. No idea when I will even play these. I think its time to admit I have a problem

Ah hello new Steam thread, you look special.

So I asked last thread, but things were distracted by a certain actress looking like Supergirl and excitement for a change, so I'll ask once more in hope someone got the chance to play it.

Anty thoughts on the new horror game Betrayer?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/243120?snr=1_41_4__42

I beat it last night and I liked it quite a bit. The story was pretty interesting and the setting is unique. Stealth was my preferred method of dealing with enemies early on, but as I acquired more weapons and upgrades playing aggressively became a lot of fun.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Well, I caved in and bought Crusader Kings II because the collection is $16 on GMG. Thanks to all who work on Enhanced Steam for saving me $4. Also thanks to everyone that recommended it in the last thread.
My backlog ;_;

Much retro.
Such pretty.
wow. (It really looks good)

I'm a sucker for the CRT Magick filters for Retro type games.
I ended up looking it up for Volgarr earlier and found it had one... and it looks fantastic in motion (the captures on the DB page look a bit dark in the contrast).
I can't take credit for making the settings file here, but I can take credit for getting the thing working after much debugging on my PC.

I love scanlines so these filters look fantastic on retro style games like Mutant Mudds and Spelunky as well.

Oreoleo

I can't even handle frontal encounter without an AWP.

Play arms race and deathmatch to get a feel for the different weapons. In DM pick one weapon and practice with it alone for 20 minutes or so, don't worry about points or winning or any of that. You'll get the hang of it soon enough.

Oh. I wasn't aware of this offer!

Cool.
$9.99 and they give you a $5 video games credit when they charge your card. With tax, if you take off the $5 credit, it was like $5.70 for me. :)

So Ninja Gaiden Z crashes whenever I try to start it :/ Any ideas on how to fix it?

Can't say I've had that issue. Off to google to try to help.
Anything out of the ordinary about your setup?
You meet the min/rec specs?

Salsa

I still need to get Volgarr and Velocity Ultra

honestly being away for a while is great. Now I dont have that day 1 urge and can get plenty of games in the next sales
62fx62f

JaseC

I still need to get Volgarr and Velocity Ultra

honestly being away for a while is great. Now I dont have that day 1 urge and can get plenty of games in the next sales
62fx62f

You can't fool me. You'll just spend the money on Nintentoy games!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom