• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

MUnited83

For you.
Arkham Origins and season pass for 5 keys, even better than I'd hoped for. Goodbye weekend plans.

From who? I see some people trading for that value, but they all seem to be relatively new accounts, which always make me suspicious that they are chargeback scammers.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Hmm, what are the Lego Batman games like?

Like all the other Lego games. Harmless fun that won't challenge you but might occasionally make you wonder what you're doing with your life, but just for a moment before you giggle at the goofy Lego take on goofy Batman characters and remember you're allowed to enjoy things sometimes.

Trust me, you shouldn't even bother with the online mode of the game

This has been my mantra for Steam games when it comes to multiplayer in games that probably shouldn't have even had it. Tomb Raider 2013, Batman Arkham Origins -- each I've gotten the majority of the single player achievements... but I've not even booted the multi.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If anyone is thinking about jumping on Sleeping Dogs during the weekend sale, DO NOT buy all the DLC. Some of the DLC are experience-boost DLCs that destroy the game's natural balance and can't be turned off if you buy them.

DLC breakdown, in the order I'd buy them in from best to worst IMHO

Story Content
Year of the Snake - new missions and story, old areas
Zodiac Tournament - new areas and story, combat arena type mission content
Nightmare in North Point - new missions, old areas, mostly on foot and melee, chinese hopping vampire themed

Non-Story Content
Wheels of Fury - a series of races in a vehicle that follows up some story content from the main game
--- here's where I'd stop buying --- so just buy the first four
Street Racer Pack - Three races and a bike
Triad Enforcer - Two short missions and some weapons

Weapons and Skins
Tactical Soldier, Monkey King, Movie Masters, Retro Triad, Screen Legends, SWAT Pack

Cheats and Balance-Breaking Microtransactions
High Roller - Massive amount of cash and some skins
Red Envelope - Adds 20x cash drops around the city, this breaks game balance
Top Dog Gold - Experience booster
Top Dog Silver - Experience booster

None of the DLC is OMG MUST HAVE (although all three of the story DLC are worth the money in my opinion), so my approach would be to finish the game and if you feel like you want more content after you're done playing the game, then start buying the DLC from the top. I liked the DLC in part because I 100%ed and 1000/1000ed the game and still wanted more.

Tizoc

Anyone played Planet Stronghold?

@Stump, thanks for the breakdown, I'm prob. missing one or two of the Story DLCs so I'll wait for them to go for like $1 or less and grab them someday.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
UgEB7iV.png

first time for GOG keys?

I really need to get back to Lego Batman 2 sometime.
One of the highlights was grabbing the batmobile and parking on top of civilians.

Someone tell me about the $6 tier games. Worth it?

Evoland is trash.
Anodyne is a surreal Zelda-kinda game. I didn't far in it.

Don't know anything about the other two games.

Nabs

Offspring Fling is a fun little game with a really nice soundtrack. I'm surprised it isn't on handhelds.

Sajjaja

This has been my mantra for Steam games when it comes to multiplayer in games that probably shouldn't have even had it. Tomb Raider 2013, Batman Arkham Origins -- each I've gotten the majority of the single player achievements... but I've not even booted the multi.

At least Origins tried something new. People were hugely skeptical when it came to ME3 multiplayer and it turned out to be huge. I think it's important to give credit to Origin because of trying being innovative.

derExperte

Someone tell me about the $6 tier games. Worth it?

If you don't own any of them just buy it. Defender's Quest is one of the best tower defense games with a lot of RPG stuff in it, Anodyne a good Action-RPG, Evoland an original idea with average execution and Incredipede pretty strange. Imo one of the best BTA-tiers we've seen in the weekly bundles.

Salsa

question: does the final release of Mercenary Kings still has the 4-way splitscreen even if you play just 2 players?

NEO Scavenger is absolutely fantastic. That bundle is worth getting for the game alone. Here's my review
The raiders left you with nothing, nothing but the ragged clothes on your back and a glass shard. It had been foolish to rest in such an exposed location but the desperate search for shelter from the freezing rain had trumped your nagging exhaustion. And now your mistake had cost you dearly. Another night, another restless sleep in the rain. Hypothermia is a given now. Have to find shelter, real shelter, and supplies...or else death would be coming for you sooner rather than later.

Movement. A lone bandit in the distance. You hurriedly cover your tracks and hide. From your vantage point, you can see the rusted crowbar, the patchwork hide clothing, the backpack. Supplies, warm attire, weapons. The opportunity is too good to pass up.

---
That's just one moment from a typical NEO Scavenger playthrough. It's a bleak gritty post apocalyptic roguelike with a focus on realistic survival and it's one of the most intense and immersive experiences I've played in a while.

NEO Scavenger is a turn-based roguelike, set across a hex-based map, action menus, and text vignettes. That may not seem all that exciting, but it's the underlying gameplay mechanics that make the game stand out. Set in a world ravaged by supernatural occurrences and warfare, you awaken in an abandoned cryotube facility. Choose your traits and skills wisely, as different specializations open up new choices and options. (i.e. an Atheletic person can easily outrun enemies, but a person proficient in Hiding could more easily find cover and sneak away). Once you leave the facility, an expansive map is open to explore. How long you'll survive is another matter.

Sleep in the rain without a sleeping bag? Prepare to come down with severe hypothermia overnight or maybe you'll just freeze to death. Run away from bandits over treacherous terrain? Maybe you'll trip and break a rib. Forgo sleep and stay on the move? You'll pass out from exhaustion. Get cut in a fight? You'd better have painkillers and bandages to prevent the wound from getting infected. Forget to hide your tracks before sleeping? The raiders will have found you by morning. The wealth of options and variables to consider are astounding. Life is short and cheap, death is always lurking on the horizon. The combat is ruthless and brutal, akin to the quick violent encounters seen in The Road or No Country, and while the encounters are experienced through menus and text, you always have a wide array of tactics at your disposal, ranging from simply fleeing to trying to break line of sight and hide to forcing enemies to surrender or just surrendering yourself. Raiders and bandits are numerous and merciless, but the otherworldly creatures and mutants that roam the map are even more dangerous.

Despite being quite playable, NEO Scavenger is still in beta, with more areas, weapons, items, enemies, story vignettes to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom