• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

paid $20-25 for Arkham Origins on release, finished it literally 2 days ago and feel like I got my money's worth. $10 is a fucking steal and everyone should jump on it.

im with stallion here, not being made by rocksteady hardly equals the game being shit. it does some really interesting, unique stuff to this one, and even if the new aspects arent necessarely the biggest draw to it, it's still super solid as a reiteration of what was previously established in City.

Is the upcoming freeze dlc included in the season pass?

If so, $15 for Origins + DLC is a great deal.

Edit: Since we're arguing whether, it's worth it, in my opinion Origins is a fantastic game. Story's great, some fun new enemy types with streamlined mechanics, bigger map, it's just an improvement in pretty much every way, and more arkham city is totally fine with me. That said, it gets major points taken off for being a buggy piece of shit.

fez
ModBot said:
Instructions for nightstorm:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

FEZ -- MB-1808D18856521849 - Taken by Sammichu

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Just bought Deux Ex, Invisible War and Hitman: Blood Money and also the Humble Bundle.

I already have Offspring Fling, so:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Offspring Fling -- MB-1EF762C81F58E2F2 - Taken by KenOD. 7 entrants total.

t1395945164z1.png

It's really a $5 GotY package. The other two games are still worth $7.50 for their GotY.

It's probably worth it at $10 for the total package. I'm in no rush. I got the first 2 games for $5 each and both were GOTY editions. Hell, I still needs to get past the first couple of hours of City, so i'll just wait it out until the eventual Arkham Knight sale.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
im with stallion here, not being made by rocksteady hardly equals the game being shit. it does some really interesting, unique stuff to this one, and even if the new aspects arent necessarely the biggest draw to it, it's still super solid as a reiteration of what was previously established in City.

*nods in approval*

Ezalc

Question for people who have the games, which is more worth it at the moment/won't go on sale soon:

Strider, Ikaruga, Dungeon of the Endless Founder's Pack?

random

And another Offspring Fling:

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Offspring Fling -- MB-45E4CB0C2FB3F45D - Taken by FiveElementNinja. 8 entrants total.

t1395945432z1.png

Salsa

Question for people who have the games, which is more worth it at the moment/won't go on sale soon:

Strider looks fantastic and it's just a couple months old. Im personally waiting on a sale just due to backlog, but i'd jump on that probably.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Offspring Fling -- MB-C2C301544A060DD8 - Taken by RawrDuy. 7 entrants total.

t1395945522z1.png

derExperte

More flinging:

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Offspring Fling -- MB-1D5BBC0567A9A6C3 - Taken by Sendou

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Any more impressions of Anodyne?

Never mind, based on Archaix's, derExperte's, and YianGaruga's impressions, I might as well give it a shot.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Someone tell me about the $6 tier games. Worth it?

Evoland is a fun love letter to the history of RPG games, it's not great but it does a few fun things changing the game to reflect different periods in early RPG gaming. Short game, worth at least a look if you get the bundle and have reverence for that period in gaming history.

Anodyne is a really nice Zelda-style game where you get a broom instead of a sword. It's like Zelda meets Dustforce in that way, and no other ways. Worth playing.

Incredipede is a build your own creature physics based puzzle game. Great artwork, charming game that can be pretty difficult (or ridiculously easy, or impossibly hard, it's a puzzle game, these things are interpreted by everybody in different ways).

I'd recommend it, with the caveat being these games are the type to go on sale for about $2 anyway. It isn't the craziest deal Humble has done but there's nothing that's completely throwaway in the higher tier.

If it has online achievements I'll probably bother :(
It does, and I'm also going to bother with online for the same reason.
I've got all the achievements for Arkham Asylum(GFWL anyway, Steam achievements I'm still working on the riddler stuff but have done everything else) and I'm a few off of having all the achievements for Arkham City, so it'd just feel wrong not having all the achievements on an Arkham title.

Although, I imagine no one will be playing the game online in Australia, so lag ahoy, yay.

Tizoc

Ooooh though call.
I'd pick Ikaruga to support the dev, but Strider is a great game and is a GotY contender for me.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what the FUCK at hitman contracts not having a discount

r3n4ud

I found Strider rather dull, to be honest. I enjoyed the boss fights, but overall it's really repetitious. Lots of backtracking and secrets to find, if that's your thing.

hohoXD123

Hmm, can get a 500GB SSD for £176 from Amazon but not sure if I actually need one. Startup time is fine already, would be nice to load chrome/photoshop/word faster but don't know if that's worth £176...hmmm

derExperte

Hmm, can get a 500GB SSD for £176 from Amazon but not sure if I actually need one. Startup time is fine already, would be nice to load chrome/photoshop/word faster but don't know if that's worth £176...hmmm

Everyone needs a SSD, best investment you can make.

I went with a 128 SSD and it's glorious. I just keep 5 or so games on it, windows, and anything else I feel needs the speed. I use steam mover if I ever want to swap games off of the drive.

SSD gaming is on a whole 'nother level, my friend, and you should get on that shit.

Ruruja

I'd just wait until you definitely need one, the prices are dropping rapidly at the moment.

Nabs

Are you sure you need 500gb? 128gb can take care of your important programs/os. It's definitely a worthy pickup.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Keys

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Offspring Fling -- MB-F26AF6E226A9CC65 - Taken by Jive Turkey. 4 entrants total.
Evoland -- MB-BC928B5E0A09F1E7 - Taken by bornlivedie. 8 entrants total.

t1395946378z1.png

Everyone needs a SSD, best investment you can make.

Seconded. I doubted how much I cared about or how much quality of life would be added concerning SSDs. Then I got one and realized I was wrong to ever question it.

Single biggest jump for my PC by a lone hardware change.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
For some reason Enhanced Steam has been not showing me prices history anymore, so I cannot check it.

Server has been absolutely melting all morning, sorry for that.

Ruruja

Is this the cheapest Sleep dogs collection has been yet?
http://store.steampowered.com/app/202170/
For some reason Enhanced Steam has been not showing me prices history anymore, so I cannot check it.

I gather I may like it since I've much enjoyed Saints Row the third.

You should definitely get it at this price. It's one of the few games I enjoyed getting 100% achievements in, took me 38 hours and I didn't have one moment of boredom doing it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I already have Offspring Fling, so:

Well thank you for it. Looks like a wonderful game to play with my daughter.

1hr Quick Look of Betrayer: http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-betrayer/2300-8680/ I think it's time to finally play this.

Well that definitely sold me on getting it. Thanks for sharing the link.

Just in case it was missed by anyone, as it's a very good game for the genre and deserves some love.

It's really a $5 GotY package. The other two games are still worth $7.50 for their GotY.

This opinion should be ignored...

paid $20-25 for Arkham Origins on release, finished it literally 2 days ago and feel like I got my money's worth. $10 is a fucking steal and everyone should jump on it.

Completely agree. Can't wait for Knight

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Just in case it was missed by anyone, as it's a very good game for the genre and deserves some love.

Played it earlier for nearly an hour, it is indeed very good. But it doesn't seem to have cards even though the store page says so.

Nabs

Sleeping Dogs is great and worth picking up, but please read this first: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106002176&postcount=1635

If anyone is thinking about jumping on Sleeping Dogs during the weekend sale, DO NOT buy all the DLC. Some of the DLC are experience-boost DLCs that destroy the game's natural balance and can't be turned off if you buy them.

DLC breakdown, in the order I'd buy them in from best to worst IMHO

Story Content
Year of the Snake - new missions and story, old areas
Zodiac Tournament - new areas and story, combat arena type mission content
Nightmare in North Point - new missions, old areas, mostly on foot and melee, chinese hopping vampire themed

Non-Story Content
Wheels of Fury - a series of races in a vehicle that follows up some story content from the main game
--- here's where I'd stop buying --- so just buy the first four
Street Racer Pack - Three races and a bike
Triad Enforcer - Two short missions and some weapons

Weapons and Skins
Tactical Soldier, Monkey King, Movie Masters, Retro Triad, Screen Legends, SWAT Pack

Cheats and Balance-Breaking Microtransactions
High Roller - Massive amount of cash and some skins
Red Envelope - Adds 20x cash drops around the city, this breaks game balance
Top Dog Gold - Experience booster
Top Dog Silver - Experience booster

None of the DLC is OMG MUST HAVE (although all three of the story DLC are worth the money in my opinion), so my approach would be to finish the game and if you feel like you want more content after you're done playing the game, then start buying the DLC from the top. I liked the DLC in part because I 100%ed and 1000/1000ed the game and still wanted more.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
This opinion should be ignored...

I really don't care that it wasn't made by rocksteady other than the fact that unlike said developer, Montreal managed to ruin the gameplay aspects that made the first two enjoyable. They sped up the timings of the enemies in the game without making the necessary changes to how batman functions. I actually enjoyed that the enemies were a bit quicker, it made each encounter more tense. The problem is that they didn't speed up batman's moves or allow the player the ability to cancel out of moves. The end result is that the player is forced to stick to a very bland and repetitive moveset instead of experimenting and varying their playstyle with the gadgets and obscure abilities. Secondly, they infantilized the players compared to the previous two by locking certain upgrades and abilities behind unrelated unlocks.

I don't see what was so great about the story either. Yes it was a bit more refined than the overly complex mess that was Arkham City, but that isn't really an accomplishment. Arkham Asylum is still the best paced and written story of the three. Overall the story in Arkham Origins was very rough and seemed like a first draft. The scene where Wayne gives his raison d'être to Alfred was incredibly out of place and is the most egregious. It is the same issue with Spec Ops: The line, they put in these scenes that are supposed to be meaningful, but there has been no proper build up so the entire experience falls flat.

The one thing I did like is they toned down the oversexualization of the Arkhamverse that has been the nadir of the entire series. Every male outside of the main villians looking like a 'roid freak is disconcerting.

I don't think DotE is getting a sale soon and will take some time to leave early access. I could choose Ikaruga first, get Strider with a 33% or 50% discount and get DotE Founder's pack before they leave Early Access.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Sleeping Dogs is more GTA4 than SR3, at least in tone. It plays most everything straight (except for two of the DLC packs and even those are mostly serious in a ridiculous setting) and doesn't get anywhere near the irreverence or chaos that Saints Row 3 has.

I really enjoyed it (for the record GTA4 is also the only GTA game I've ever completed) but not for open world madness or any type of over the top hijinks. And those are the things I think of when I hear Saints Row. It has great melee combat, looks amazing, and creates a more or less convincing world in a setting that isn't popular in open world games. The story is a generic undercover cop movie put into a game and is fairly predictable as a result but it was done well.

hohoXD123

Are you sure you need 500gb? 128gb can take care of your important programs/os. It's definitely a worthy pickup.

Yeah, pretty sure I'll at least need that much if I'm only using one hard drive. I could keep my old drive and install the SSD into my laptop's optical bay, but I'll probably need the optical drive in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom