• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Aye, I say so.

As a horror action title where you creep along worrying where the next deadly creature will pop out from and you have to keep calm enough to properly shoot it and not make the situation worse. Recommended play on a harder difficulty if you have any experience with third person action shooters, good sound (headphones preferably), and in the dark.

I'm already sweating.

Eanan

is batman origins still really buggy on PC or was it patched? tempted to pick it up as loved the previous two.

Also what, if any DLC do you recommend if you want it purely for story add ons? Not interested in skins or maps/challenge arena things. Thanks

StAidan

I guess I'll be the contrary guy for Anodyne.

I thought Anodyne was pretty mediocre, a poor imitation of the game it was modeled after (Link's Awakening). The plot/story (if you could call it either of those things) was too abstract and obtuse, and the overworld environment was uninspired. The actual feel of the gameplay was too loose and the hit detection unforgiving.

I'll say this in its favor: The dungeon designs were mostly pretty good, with the notable exception of the acrobats' dungeon.

For those who do plan to play it, I'd highly recommend a good d-pad (heck, even a keyboard would be better than an analog stick in this case).

Levyne

Banned
is batman origins still really buggy on PC or was it patched? tempted to pick it up as loved the previous two.

Also what, if any DLC do you recommend if you want it purely for story add ons? Not interested in skins or maps/challenge arena things. Thanks

I didn't encounter many bugs, really. Well no crashes or freezes or falling through the floor or a bugged mission objective or anything of that nature.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
paid $20-25 for Arkham Origins on release, finished it literally 2 days ago and feel like I got my money's worth. $10 is a fucking steal and everyone should jump on it.

im with stallion here, not being made by rocksteady hardly equals the game being shit. it does some really interesting, unique stuff to this one, and even if the new aspects arent necessarely the biggest draw to it, it's still super solid as a reiteration of what was previously established in City.
Oh, I'm going to buy it. But not for $15 and without every single piece of DLC.

I'll wait for a < $10 GOTY edition.

Nabs

Origins is fine on PC. It's been patched plenty of times.

So is Dead Space worth it for 0 dollars?

>_>
I've not finished Dead Space, but from what I've played of it, it's a pretty fun shooter, there are a few different weapons each with a secondary ability that helps add in some variety.

For the first bit the enemies are rather basic, but after a while they tend to send in more and more different types of enemies at you at once and you've got to think what's the best way to deal with all the different types of enemies at once while conserving ammo, very fun game(in an intense sort of way)

Khronico

It hasn't been a whole day and the prices on Magical Diary cards are plummeting to the bottom. Why does the Steam Community actively kill the trading card market?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It hasn't been a whole day and the prices on Magical Diary cards are plummeting to the bottom. Why does the Steam Community actively kill the trading card market?

They're just following the basic principles of supply and demand.

Tellaerin

Arkham Origins, Deus Ex HR, Just Cause 2 all on sale...I never clicked add to cart so fast.

I only got a Steam account 3 weeks ago for DMC4, but these sales are making me lose my mind. How do you guys deal with this?

Hey, man! I know I'm a little late on this, but welcome aboard! I suggest setting aside some money ahead of time for the big sales and sticking to your budget. Also, cards are your friend - they're great for a little extra Steam cash to fund those smaller purchases - and keep an eye out for bundle sales and other outlets that offer good sales that can be redeemed on Steam (Amazon, GMG, etc.)

Eanan

I didn't encounter many bugs, really. Well no crashes or freezes or falling through the floor or a bugged mission objective or anything of that nature.

Origins is fine on PC. It's been patched plenty of times.

Cool thanks. Any comment on the DLC question? The only DLC story add on I can see is the Initiation DLC, where you play as young bruce wayne. Any others to recommend?

Also, 3 TF2 Keys (€5) for origins off a russian. Good deal.

Levyne

Banned
I haven't tried Initiation. Thinking I might just grab the Season Pass, even though a lot of the other stuff seems superfluous.

That Dead Space deal, I need Origin to play? (Never dealt with Origin store/games beforea)

Yes, and it works fine. You can even set it up so that when you quit a game, it auto-closes, so you can create a link to the EXE file on steam and it'll run fine.

As an aside, i never could get the steam version of Dead Space to work. I had to redownload the origin version and make a shortcut link to get it running.

CS:GO got nice UI update (ingame)...

Lost like an euro for buying Deus Ex yesterday from the Humble Store instead of from Steam today ;_; oh the humanity

Some game where you throw your children.
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Offspring Flick -- MB-D8696A5B00FC3674 - Taken by NaM. 3 entrants total.

t1395951149z1.png

How do you guys deal with this?

You eventually become inured to whole sales thing. But that usually doesn't happen until you own most of the games you know you're interested in and have quite a few unplayed games. Cost becomes less of an issue and time becomes a greater one.

Also what's on sale today will likely be on sale sometime in the future, if you don't have the time to play the game now, you can wait for it to go on sale down the road.

Eanan

I like my SSD, but mostly cause my 1.5GB hdd is trash (5400rpm)

they're overrated anyway. Only really notice any important difference in-game when im loading a BF3/BF4 map

I stand by my two 1TB 7200rpm WD Blues. Perfect price/performance for gaming I find.

I only use my SSD for OS and main programs, and Footie manager, which is database HEAVY.

Zia

ModBot said:
Instructions for Zia:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Anodyne -- MB-CA24BEB4E96A3066 - Taken by KenOD

So, what to grab from the Squeenix sale? I already own:

Deus Ex: HR (and the DC version)
Supreme Commander series
Tomb Raider 2013
Sleeping Dogs
Just Cause 2

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So it looks like the issues people are having with Enhanced Steam while using Firefox 29 (currently in Beta) is a known bug in that version. Thankfully, the bug has already been fixed in Firefox 30.

Here's hoping Mozilla has their act together and doesn't release Firefox 29 with this bug, as the only resolution I'll be able to give the thousands of people who would probably email me about it not working would be "Update to Firefox Beta, or downgrade to Firefox 28".

Khronico

Supreme Commander series
Tomb Raider 2013
Sleeping Dogs
Just Cause 2

Hitman: Blood Money

I would suggest the LoK series collection but Soul Reaver 1 has SERIOUS issues on modern systems (horrible sound crackling, graphical distortions). The others seem to run fine though.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Thanks Zia

Supreme Commander series
Tomb Raider 2013
Sleeping Dogs
Just Cause 2

The original Deus Ex is still quite a wonderful title with a number of things that help it stand out even in this day and age.

Sleeping Dogs's Year of the Snake and Zodiac Tournament if you don't already own them.

Hitman Collection or at lest Blood Money and Silent Assassin, if you enjoy stealth games with proper planing being the focused.

The Last Remnant if you are earning for a Japanese RPG to play on Steam.

Mini Ninjas is also good, but will get a better sale in the future to be sure. Fun action adventure game, quite kid friendly if that is something you want to consider, but enjoyable enough for someone who has been playing for some time. Good amount of exploration for these types of games, bit like the 90s 3D geometry platformers used to be without such a obsession for collectables.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Arkham Origins, Deus Ex HR, Just Cause 2 all on sale...I never clicked add to cart so fast.

I only got a Steam account 3 weeks ago for DMC4, but these sales are making me lose my mind. How do you guys deal with this?
We don't. We buy. We cry about spending so much money on things we never play. We buy again.

Looks like I'm going to get:

Deus Ex: GOTY edition
Thief II (I have not played the first but it's in my account)
Hitman Blood Money
Tomb Raider Anniversary

FF VII and VIII will get cheaper and Last Remnant I heard was awful, plus I mostly hate JRPGs. If there's anything else I should grab, let me know!

Benedict

Do I really need a 500gb SSD or is it fine with a 256 one to start with?
Will use it as a C: (OS & programs) + maybe some selected games

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just played hour and half of Mirror of Fate HD, its awesome, I would say I wish I played it back then on the 3ds, but the performance would probably have ruined it. Really liking it, and I feel like I barely scratched the surface yet. I wonder how long it is. I keep running into a million areas I cant access yet and its messing with my ocd lol, damn metroidvanias

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom