• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Newblade

It's been a while since the last indie royale bundle I bought. Here are the leftovers.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ittle Dew -- MB-E365B8E06CE44568 - Taken by FiveElementNinja
Bob Came in Pieces -- MB-52171F394A8CB3FE - Taken by TuckingFypo

FloatOn

Explanation required.

In brief:

It feels like a greatest hit album rather than having it's own soul. There have been some really great moments but overall it just feels like they tried to take the best parts of Dark Souls and smash it together without much planning. Many of the bosses are either a rehash in idea of bosses in Dark Souls or straight up copy/paste. I'm only coming up on 30 hours so it's entirely possible this assessment is premature but yeah.... very mixed bag at this point.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I am so mad right now. The CPU cooler I ordered had the worst fastening system imaginable and even when I finally got everything lined up, the clips would only come within 1/4" of latching. It was so difficult and took so many retries that I used all the thermal paste from cleaning it off and reapplying, and I ultimately ended up switching back to my old cooler and didn't have enough paste to do a proper reapplication, so I'm sure it has bubbles now. I played D3 for an hour and it reached 73 degrees. Now I have to watch it like a hawk until I can get some new paste to do a proper application and there is no way of returning this piece of shit cooler that won't even install. Fuck Cooler Master.

In brief:

It feels like a greatest hit album rather than having it's own soul. There have been some really great moments but overall it just feels like they tried to take the best parts of Dark Souls and smash it together without much planning. Many of the bosses are either a rehash in idea of bosses in Dark Souls or straight up copy/paste. I'm only coming up on 30 hours so it's entirely possible this assessment is premature but yeah.... very mixed bag at this point.
I'm just curious but have you played through Demon's Souls? I'm asking because I'm wondering if you felt differently coming into Dark from it, or if you might be feeling like this because it's your first Souls sequel experience.

wilflare

someone mentioned free Origin game...? what's that.

Steam downloads have been stable :X
got 38MB/s trying to download games to idle for cards

EDIT: anyone managed to get the Hitman Sniper Challenge
it still eludes me

Mugatu

Those new animal games like "My Pet Hotel" are really pissing me off, since their "release date" on the store pages even list today - even though the first "My Pet Hotel" game came out on PC in March 2006 (8 years ago!).

So much for my new button in Enhanced Steam to hide this stuff. I guess the data is only as good as the publishers provide, like always.

If you have Enhanced Steam installed, you should be able to browse to http://store.steampowered.com/steamaccount/addfunds and add a custom amount (as long as it's over the minimum).

uZl6nNF.png

Oh this is awesome, thanks!

Heyo guys, you might know me as the guy who randomly jumps in here and screams about games you should try.

There is this really neat post-apocalyptic turn based survival sim that screams for more publicity, called NEO Scavenger. I also made a thread for it if you want to read up on it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700141

SUbfFcr.png

The game is on Steam early access and can be currently had for $1 during the Humble Weekly sale (even including the good and challenging puzzle game Offspring Fling if you buy it yourself):
https://www.humblebundle.com/weekly

Thing is, this game is way, way, way too good to be overlooked and I'd love more people to check it out. I'll gift 15 copies of this game over in the thread (linked above) to the first people voicing their interest in that thread (I wont monitor the Steam thread closely so make sure to post over there) in return for you guys posting some impressions in that thread & maybe also in here to help bumping the thread/raising awareness of the game or even telling the world that you believe it is utter crap after you tried it

If we have a deal, head over here and let me know:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=700141

I'll send out the links by tomorrow as buying the games might take me a while.

This game seems rather interesting. I wasn't going to, but I decided to purchase the bundle.

It's been a while since the last indie royale bundle I bought. Here are the leftovers.

Thanks, but the code has been used already.

Ruruja

I am so mad right now. The CPU cooler I ordered had the worst fastening system imaginable and even when I finally got everything lined up, the clips would only come within 1/4" of latching. It was so difficult and took so many retries that I used all the thermal paste from cleaning it off and reapplying, and I ultimately ended up switching back to my old cooler and didn't have enough paste to do a proper reapplication, so I'm sure it has bubbles now. I played D3 for an hour and it reached 73 degrees. Now I have to watch it like a hawk until I can get some new paste to do a proper application and there is no way of returning this piece of shit cooler that won't even install. Fuck Cooler Master.

I had the same issue with a Hyper TX3 Evo and AM3+ mobo. In the end I gave up and went back to my old cooler. I've just gotten an i5 and 1150 socket mobo so hopefully it fits better on that when I get round to building it.

Is there any software that is good at measuring bandwidth (highest usage, lowest usage, and average usage)? I am asking for the Origin vs Steam download test that I'll run tomorrow.

FloatOn

I'm just curious but have you played through Demon's Souls? I'm asking because I'm wondering if you felt differently coming into Dark from it, or if you might be feeling like this because it's your first Souls sequel experience.

I have not played Demon's yet.. I bought my ps3 back in september with the intent of playing gta5 and then Demon's Souls immediately after. I got distracted and it didn't end up happening. I still plan on playing it one day but I think I'm objective enough to not let one experience bleed over into another.

wilflare

If anyone is thinking about jumping on Sleeping Dogs during the weekend sale, DO NOT buy all the DLC. Some of the DLC are experience-boost DLCs that destroy the game's natural balance and can't be turned off if you buy them.

DLC breakdown, in the order I'd buy them in from best to worst IMHO

Story Content
Year of the Snake - new missions and story, old areas
Zodiac Tournament - new areas and story, combat arena type mission content
Nightmare in North Point - new missions, old areas, mostly on foot and melee, chinese hopping vampire themed

Non-Story Content
Wheels of Fury - a series of races in a vehicle that follows up some story content from the main game
--- here's where I'd stop buying --- so just buy the first four
Street Racer Pack - Three races and a bike
Triad Enforcer - Two short missions and some weapons

Weapons and Skins
Tactical Soldier, Monkey King, Movie Masters, Retro Triad, Screen Legends, SWAT Pack

Cheats and Balance-Breaking Microtransactions
High Roller - Massive amount of cash and some skins
Red Envelope - Adds 20x cash drops around the city, this breaks game balance
Top Dog Gold - Experience booster
Top Dog Silver - Experience booster

None of the DLC is OMG MUST HAVE (although all three of the story DLC are worth the money in my opinion), so my approach would be to finish the game and if you feel like you want more content after you're done playing the game, then start buying the DLC from the top. I liked the DLC in part because I 100%ed and 1000/1000ed the game and still wanted more.

they should really give us the option to disable/enable DLC :/
I have the base game.. and buying each DLC individually is more expensive :/

Has anyone else experienced any problems with Offspring Fling? It keeps crashing on me, twice as the splash screen was loading and once in the tutorial.

Ah, nevermind. I unplugged my controller and it seems to be fine now.

Annubis

So that's 2 bundles bought this week (and I still made a profit from cards anyway)

I wouldn't be surprised if Planet Stronghold from Winter Wolves ends up on Steam either.
They must be getting massive voting in Greenlight from everyone who bought the bundle.

I have not played Demon's yet.. I bought my ps3 back in september with the intent of playing gta5 and then Demon's Souls immediately after. I got distracted and it didn't end up happening. I still plan on playing it one day but I think I'm objective enough to not let one experience bleed over into another.

Can't speak for DS2 (so it could just be bad), but I had the exact same reaction to DS1 initially. The magic was gone, so I wasn't in to it as much and some areas like the last few felt awfully simplistic and rushed.

You have probably seen a lot of this in the "Demon's souls was better" arguments.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out this time given a lot more people know the series now.

r3n4ud

hmmm. I was concerned about the possibility of my account being banned ><
cause this is quite a hack right?

how exactly do I go about it?
Don't use it to unlock achievements. Just double-click on one of the games in the list that has cards and idle away. Quite simple :)

MRORANGE

iZGnhxF8VaR58.png

User recommendations for upcoming games in April - How to submit

Know about a game that is coming out next month on Steam? Then tell us by posting in the steam thread on why it deserves to be on Gaf's radar, each month the games with the the best reviews will put on the OT.
We are doing this for the first time, so don't worry if it's not fantastic, as long as it's 50-100 words we should be good.

PM the post you want to submit so I know.

t1396222200z0.png

I think it has default settings that should work fine. It's been a while so I can't remember. I had to tweak some things to get it running on my laptop, but otherwise it worked alright.
I went the easy way and just used this. There are probably a lot of presets around, though.
Alright, thanks. I suppose I'll give this a go before I dig into these vvv
:O Thanks for this. I'm gonna try some of these out. That arcade mode one... I might give that sort of setup for KOF13 or something, but Dark Souls? Ehhhh.
I am a massive sucker for scanlines and CRT filters though.

Sajjaja

Can any of you all describe to me what makes Sleeping Dogs so good? I hear great things about the combat but what else? How is the M/KB controls?

Can any of you all describe to me what makes Sleeping Dogs so good? I hear great things about the combat but what else? How is the M/KB controls?

Well

+ Great graphics for the time. Compare it to something like SR3 and the difference is huge
+ Interesting setting and characters
+ Better combat than usual in an open world game.
+ Fun driving and variety in the cars.
+ lots of customisation options for your character.

- Not much to do in the world
- Gets very repetitive (missions and combat) and runs out of steam about half way through
- Story fizzles out
- Nothing really new to the open world genre.

So basically it is just a highly polished open world game that does everything "right" until it runs out of ideas.

Yeah it is a big part of the fun. Especially because I thought the achievements in EG2 were a bit easy.
Well, they were in the first game as well.

"Hat Trick in the Library" was my favorite, that was crazy.

I'm currently taking a snack break after getting a headache on 9-9.

And I guess I have a dozen more secret rooms to locate.

What a sequel.

tumblr_m9o85dXYUo1r4ensso1_500.jpg

The combat is like Arkham Asylum but more rhythmical/punishing since Wei isn't Batman.

And the Kb/M controls are great, especially with driving since there's an arcade-y sense to them.

Well

+ Great graphics for the time. Compare it to something like SR3 and the difference is huge
+ Interesting setting and characters
+ Better combat than usual in an open world game.
+ Fun driving and variety in the cars.
+ lots of customisation options for your character.

- Not much to do in the world
- Gets very repetitive (missions and combat) and runs out of steam about half way through
- Story fizzles out
- Nothing really new to the open world genre.

So basically it is just a highly polished open world game that does everything "right" until it runs out of ideas.

Spot on.

And a fantastic Halloween DLC, too.

destx

The mouse and keyboard controls are reeeally good, even for driving. The setting is quite interesting in addition to the combat also, I had a great time with Sleeping Dogs.

its got karaoke and cockfighting too

Echoplx

Is there a way to disable the new filtering options in Enhanced Steam? Not digging the delay before anything shows up in the new releases tab.

EDIT: nvm seems like ticking the checkbox does that.

User recommendations for upcoming games in April - How to submit

Know about a game that is coming out next month on Steam? Then tell us by posting in the steam thread on why it deserves to be on Gaf's radar, each month the games with the the best reviews will put on the OT.
We are doing this for the first time, so don't worry if it's not fantastic, as long as it's 50-100 words we should be good.
Life Goes On - April 16th
As its core, Life Goes On may seem like just another platformer. You dodge spike and fire traps, jump gaps, and all manner of other traps and hazards. But in Life Goes On, death is not the end, but a tool at your disposal. Your demise leaves a corpse in your wake, allowing you to build safe passage across danger with your dead bodies or use your corpses on pressure plates. This mechanic gives this a puzzle platformer a great sense of black humor and allows for interesting puzzles not possible in other games

Fract OSC - April
Fract is an open world exploration puzzle game set in a world built on sound. This abstract landscape of abandoned machinery and looming mechanisms is your playground to manipulate and discover, using music and sound to activate machines and solve puzzles. You can even create and share your own musical masterpiece in an in-game studio

Life Goes On - April 16th

I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. When I played the demo, my first thought was "ok this is garbage". But once I realised the main mechanic (which isn't actually explained from memory) everything suddenly clicked and I started to enjoy the puzzles.

Certainly one to look out for.

Levyne

Banned
I switch pretty easily too. Though anything multi-platform / non-ps+ I'll get on PC.

And 360/One doesn't have any exclusives for me at the moment so those are respectively boxed up and not-yet purchased,

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
"A lifetime subscription". You think that's for the game, but no, it's Galactic Civilizations III owning you for life.

Fract OSC - April

Fract is an open world exploration puzzle game set in a world built on sound. This abstract landscape of abandoned machinery and looming mechanisms is your playground to manipulate and discover, using music and sound to activate machines and solve puzzles. You can even create and share your own musical masterpiece in an in-game studio

This is my most anticipated game right now. So excited for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom