• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

New deals:
  • Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed 75% off
  • Crusader Kings II Collection 50% off
  • Morrowing GOTY 67% off
  • Oblivion GOTY 67% off
  • Skyrim Legendary Edition 40% off
  • Dishonored GOTY 40% off
  • Fallout 3 GOTY 67% off

The Deponia and Memoria deals from yesterday are still active.

FYI, I got an additional 20% off account bound coupon for Skyrim Legendary. If you are signed up for emails from GMG you should be getting one too I assume.

Pretty amazing.

Best kart racer of the generation

Best kart race game I've played.

ALRIGHT ALRIGHT.....I bought it. I had $3.00 gmg credit for some reason as well, so it ended up just being 1.99.

I find it hard to believe you've never seen the glowing praise it receives every time it's on sale (which is a lot).

I actually didn't follow this second one so I had no clue hoenstly.. i got the first one on 360 a long time ago and thought it was great...which peaked my curiosity when I saw this sale.

Anteater

To add to the already crazy price discount, you can also use the below voucher for a further 20% off*.

*(due to the already huge discount on Fallout 3, the voucher doesn't apply we're afraid)

kmhb8MW.jpg

5kra0w1wpkix.gif

Nabs

First download test completed under normal conditions (using the internet, leaving programs open).

My ISP is Verizon FIOs and my download speed is at a max of 25 Mb/s or 3.1 MB/s

Here are the results:

So I ran the same test. Keep in mind that Dead Space on Origin is slightly different from the one on Steam. While Origin maxed out my download speed, it also lied by 20-30 Mbps for most of the download.

Code:
Origin / Dead Space
Start time       3/28/2014 12:06:20 PM
Stop time        3/28/2014 12:21:57 PM
Elapsed time     15 min 36.9 sec
                                             Incoming
------------------------------------ ---------------- 
Total of data transferred                      6.1 GB          
Maximum transfer rate                       59.5 Mbps         
Average transfer rate                       56.2 Mbps       

Steam / Dead Space
Start time       3/28/2014 12:26:37 PM
Stop time        3/28/2014 12:43:02 PM
Elapsed time     16 min 25.2 sec
                                             Incoming         
------------------------------------ ---------------- 
Total of data transferred                      6.7 GB         
Maximum transfer rate                       59.4 Mbps         
Average transfer rate                       58.1 Mbps

Turfster

Valve sale at Gamefly.
75% off basically everything, 20% extra with (UK)MAR20OFF
  • Half Life + Expansions & Source
  • Half Life 2 + Episodes
  • Orange Box
  • Portal 1 & 2
  • Left 4 Dead 1 & 2
  • Counter Strike : CZ & Source
  • Day of Defeat & Source
  • Team Fortress Classic

This is non-UK shafting.
It's basically 5£ like all the others over there

didamangi

I actually didn't follow this second one so I had no clue hoenstly.. i got the first one on 360 a long time ago and thought it was great...which peaked my curiosity when I saw this sale.

Man if you thought the first one was great get ready to be blown away. Transformed is leaps and bounds better than its predecessor.

Firehead

Up to you. Honestly, I don't think people want to know the truth. Every time I ask them to check their actual speeds, they just ignore me.

From what I've tested, Origin and Steam both max out my 60Mbps connection. I'll be interested to see what happens when it goes higher.

Goddamn! That came out of NOWHERE. Was this even one of the games that was leaked through the SteamDB subs? I don't recall reading anything about the possibility of it coming to PC, let alone Steam.
Fucking awesome.

Lunaniem

Goddamn! That came out of NOWHERE. Was this even one of the games that was leaked through the SteamDB subs? I don't recall reading anything about the possibility of it coming to PC, let alone Steam.
Fucking awesome.

It was announced for PC few weeks ago I believe.

Tizoc

" lets do a discount of 75%....."
"no no no, 75% is too high......how about...sixty.....seven....yes, 67% discount"

so, hows that Sonic all stars racing game?

It's among the BEST racers you'll play on Steam if not in the past console gen.
I've made DOZENS of threads on GAF last year whenever it went on sale.

EDIT: You also get to play as this guy
ryo-sonic-racing-transformed-outrun.jpg

Tizoc

Hmm...
I wonder if the euro price will be lower than 20€. Then I might buy it.

IIRC, Deep Silver are the publishers, if they balanced the pricing of their games on Steam before they may do the same here.
Non the less, it might pop up on GMG, so you could get it from there for same price as US if not cheaper ;)

...but really though if you want a simple action game, definately get this, the combat system is easy to pick up and the enemies aren't that hard once you learn their patterns, although they're more aggressive on Hard difficulty and Higher.

One of the best combat options in the game is the dodge counter, once you keep pulling it off, you'll feel like a badass.

The story is crazy awesome too, but then again I'm a fan of wacky ass stories that are vague about various elements.

IIRC, Deep Silver are the publishers, if they balanced the pricing of their games on Steam before they may do the same here.
Non the less, it might pop up on GMG, so you could get it from there for same price as US if not cheaper ;)

...but really though if you want a simple action game, definately get this, the combat system is easy to pick up and the enemies aren't that hard once you learn their patterns, although they're more aggressive on Hard difficulty and Higher.

One of the best combat options in the game is the dodge counter, once you keep pulling it off, you'll feel like a badass.

The story is crazy awesome too, but then again I'm a fan of wacky ass stories that are vague about various elements.

Sounds nuts. I'm interested.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I haven't played it on PC, but here was my impressions of Killer is Dead, which I played on the 360 last year.

header_292x136.jpg

Killer is Dead is the newest Grasshopper Manufacturer game, with a bit more involvement from Suda51 this time than his last few games, and music composed again by the ex-Silent Hill composer, Akira Yamoaka.

Killer is Dead follows an assassin named Mondo, who's role is that of a mostly level-headed task taker who is a ladies man, but maybe not as cool as he likes to play it off. Killer is Dead is a bit weird, in that the story is deceptively simple and you'd be forgiven if you think some of it is just pure nonsense (Alice in Wonderland? Is that a demented Thomas the Tank Engine? Unicorns?). However, there is actually a plot here that goes fairly deep into mythology and folk stories, and if you're not paying attention to the dialogue or actions of one of the several characters in the game, it's very likely you may finish the game being none the wiser to what just happened (let's just say the ending is a bit odd and a lot of the characters actions and motives are hardly explained upfront). That said, I actually did end up liking the story and characters mostly, and it did get to some interesting discussion and debates in previous threads on the game. Apparently the Steam version includes new files to help explain things a little better, so hopefully that helps those who sort of jump to the conclusion the game is nonsense, though. But it's that sort of story.

This probably is a better choice to bring to Steam. I don't think it's the best Grasshopper game out there (I prefer Shadows of the Damned out of recent games myself), but it is actually very pretty in a stylistic way and the original game suffered from screen-tearing fairly consistently and frame rate drops from 30fps, and as the game is fast-paced, 60fps and fixed screen-tearing should do wonders.

Gameplay-wise it's most similar to something like No More Heroes of Lollipop Chainsaw. First, I would suggest this to be a game you play on a harder difficulty, it's one of those games that had a sweet difficulty spot for me on Hard, and most agree that Normal and Easy are pretty easy. There was an unlockable difficulty as well, and apparently this PC version is adding another new difficulty level as well. It's a beat-em up, and the enemies that you fight are known as Wires. They often have pretty good shielding, and goal is to either break through their shields or get to an angle to hit them, and then load-out on them, but in a mindful manner. You have a weak, a medium, and a strong sword attack, which you can mix together for different combos, and later on, new attacks. You have a gun that gains new functions later into the game (like turning into a drill or laser), you can throw enemies into the air for aerial combos, like in Lollipop Chainsaw you can stun enemies to make them far easier to kill, you can charge attacks, and can dodge enemy attacks. If you dodge enemy attacks a few split seconds before they hit you, you'll trigger a mode where everything turns black and red and you're given a few seconds to just wail on the enemy with sword strikes. Outside of fighting, the stages do throw things like exploration at you in some stages, segments where the gameplay changes for a bit, bosses, and the like. To be noted is that the bosses are all varied and fun to fight, probably the highlight of the game honestly.

Also there's the controversial sections where you hit on girls by ogling them. You do these sections to receive upgrades and items. This is a case where they are as offensive as you make them out to be. They're ridiculous, over-the-top, and honestly seem if you want to look at it that way sexist to both genders to me, but they're often too silly for me to take seriously. Typically Mondo makes a lot of heavy breathing sounds and odd comments "Great!" as you try to avoid getting caught, the girls talk about odd topics, and the scene where you two go and have sex are... I don't want to spoil them, but they're ridiculous. Typically they get sillier and more over-the-top without actual nudity as they go on (each girl has three different scenes that happen, and different items.upgrades to give).

ss_e1b4c132cf0ce419591f52a7b4c6440f20ea545f.600x338.jpg

The music by Akira fits the games mood well. Not his best work ever in my opinion, but there are some stand-out tracks, but unfortunately I can't find most of the music online (there was only a small partial soundtrack released that didn't include my favorite songs, and apparently no full gamerip has been done yet). The voice acting is good, but there is one character who's voice you're either going to like or its going to seriously grate on you.

Outside of boss battles, what this game probably does best is style. The game has a very stylistic look to it, but the style doesn't just stop there. Cutscenes, though sometimes hard to fully grasp on what's going on, at least are entertaining and stylist. Some cutscenes are even animated, with the animated cutscenes often telling fantasy-like stories that are important to the mission or objective at hand. The menu is stylish. The moves are stylish. Basically this game has a very complete stylish look to it, which for those aesthetic gamers out there, really does add lot, and is very well done and consistent, but still packs surprises as the games and areas continue forward.

It's not the best of the best or even my personal favorite of Grasshopper's titles, but I did enjoy the game as a stylistic beat-em up with a surrealistic folklore edge, There is some replayability here with some extra missions to play through, various costumes for Mondo and other main characters, unlockable skills, difficulties, and the like, and a story mode that lasts about 6-9 hours. Like all of Grasshopper's games, it's a love it/hate it affair, but not bad for this type of game to finally be coming to Steam.

Tizoc

TBH, the best thing about Killer is Dead being on Steam/PC is that you can actually play it at 60 FPS and with VSYNC among other ish.
Also, Mondo's a badass gentleman.

aku:jiki

Oh, come on. This is their second time trying to patch this and they still didn't fully fix the medal issue in OFDP? Yeah, I got my "earn 10" achievements, but I didn't get my "earn 1"!

Back on the virtual shelf it goes until they finally actually fix it.

Tried to buy sonic racing from GMG but it tells me that I need to verify my account via email. Problem is, it's not sending me an email. So I guess sonic racing can wait

It was announced for PC few weeks ago I believe.

Yup. It's been known about for a good while now.

Oh, come on. This is their second time trying to patch this and they still didn't fully fix the medal issue in OFDP? Yeah, I got my "earn 10" achievements, but I didn't get my "earn 1"!

Just use SAM. It's what I was doing. If it's patched now, then maybe I won't have to going forward.

derExperte

FF8 is 50% off.

OFDB?

ezodagrom

Is the steam version of FFVII worth it? I heard it had some SE DRM bullshit on it too.
It requires the player to create a Square Enix account, but that's it.
It only requires you to login the very first time you play the game, afterwards you don't need to login again and only requires an internet connection if you use cloud saving.

Khronico

Speaking of video games, pc games, and sales, everyone should get the HB weekly to get Neo Scavenger. I played an hour last night and was extremely impressed at how deep and engaging the game was. It's, in a nutshell, the most in depth and complex survival game I have ever played. The game has so many interesting mechanics and gameplay systems that I don't even know where to start talking, so I'll just keep it short: Buy it, this game is worth much, much more than the dollar minimum for the bundle.

And now, if you'll excuse me, time to see how many days I can survive before dying of hypothermia.

Backlogger

I like that you can mark your Steam keys as used on the Groupees homepage. What a great feature noone else thought of.

Blink Bundle or Flying Bundle (can't remember which one) had already been doing that I thought. Its great especially if they are adding games or Steam keys to the bundle later down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom