• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipper145

Thinking of picking up Dungeon Siege 3 for the price its at right now. Have just enough in my steam wallet to afford it. But all the steam reviews seem so negative.. So I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Apparently it also has controller support according to the steam forums, that makes me lean towards getting it..

Turfster

"Stealth shotgun" sounds like the hugest oxymoron ever. :D

Alpha Protocol is really really broken.
Once you get the LOLstealth, you can basically run around a room cloaked, punching a guy in the throat, watching him go down, the others come to check out the body one by one and you just keep stealthpunching people in the neck. =p

Copons

Once you get the LOLstealth, you can basically run around a room cloaked, punching a guy in the throat, watching him go down, the others come to check out the body one by one and you just keep stealthpunching people in the neck. =p

This is totally the experience I'm looking for after the Dishonored stealth clusterfuck caused by my sub par skills. :D

Wait, so Borderlands 2 GOTY doesnt have the upgrade packs that let you gain extra levels? Jesus, what the fuck is with that? I guess I'll have to wait for them to go on sale : /

HoosTrax

Nope. I thought so too, since my first instinct was to check the twitter, but that one was from 10 days ago.
No, the one from 10 days ago did not work for people who have already done the achievements (it only applied to new players). The most recent update retroactively grants them.

okayfrog

Banned
Yeah, getting it on sale is the way to go for most people. The rest of the DLC honestly doesn't add much and is pretty cheap, so you can take it or leave it. As long as you have Assault on Dragon's Keep you're set.

In all honesty, I'm not sure why I want all the DLC. I think just for completionist's sake 'cause man, the DLC for the first Borderlands sucked. I think I only beat the zombie one. That one with the cars where you have to drive fucking what feels like hundreds of miles and when you die you start all the way back at the beginning fucking sucked. Absolute antithesis of fun.

Pakkidis

Thinking of picking up Dungeon Siege 3 for the price its at right now. Have just enough in my steam wallet to afford it. But all the steam reviews seem so negative.. So I'm not sure. Any thoughts?

Apparently it also has controller support according to the steam forums, that makes me lean towards getting it..

I enjoyed it, it was a basic action rpg game but it was a lot of fun. To Obsidians credit they did try new things with the gameplay. The 4 different characters all play really different from each other.

The problem is the loot is tremedously boring. In an action RPG that is a big mistake. Also don't expect any multiplayer action either.

If your willing to get it at a great price I say go for it.

As for Alpha Protocol, I said it before and I will say it again. It was one of the best RPG experiences of last gen. Yes its broken but that just adds to the beauty.

My advice is to play the game you want, just choose one weapon skill and you can't go wrong .

Started up Arkham Origins and wow.
Gotham looks a whole lot nicer when The Riddler's green shit isn't caked all over it.

Frame-rate is all over the place outside though. I disabled v-sync and I'm getting between 50-80 fps. I'd prefer 60 locked but I guess it's a caching issue.
Somebody mentioned disabling antivirus software. Anything else along those lines I can do to improve performance?

The problem is the loot is tremedously boring. In an action RPG that is a big mistake. Also don't expect any multiplayer action either.

I think these are the two main reasons I quit Dungeon Siege 3.
The multiplayer system was such a terrible idea. IIRC one player got all the progress/gear while the second player was merely a follower and got some gold and maybe a little experience.

Also regarding Alpha Protocol. Pistols are stupidly OP from what I hear. Wasn't there a skill where you could freeze time and headshot everyone at once? Just walk into a crowded area and ZAP, area cleared.
Best part will always be playing a complete douchebag though. The dialogue options can turn the game into Archer Protocol.

Frame-rate is all over the place outside though. I disabled v-sync and I'm getting between 50-80 fps. I'd prefer 60 locked but I guess it's a caching issue.
Somebody mentioned disabling antivirus software. Anything else along those lines I can do to improve performance?

Hopefully you turned off all the physx nonsense.

First download test completed under normal conditions (using the internet, leaving programs open).

My ISP is Verizon FIOs and my download speed is at a max of 25 Mb/s or 3.1 MB/s

Here are the results:

Dead Space

Steam

Download Size: 6.5 GB

Start: 10:30:00 AM
End: 11:08:38 AM

Duration 38 minutes and 38 seconds

Peak Rate: 2.9 MB/s

Origin

Download Size: 7.04 GB

Start: 11:12:00 AM
End: 11:48:00 AM

Duration: 36 minutes and 0 seconds

Peak Rate: 5.15 MB / s

The install process for Dead Space on Origin took over 3 minutes.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
As you can see, Origin's peak speed was double, therefor proving that Steam downloads are slower than Origin downloads. QED.

Hopefully you turned off all the physx nonsense.

Yep. First thing I made sure was off.
Haven't really touched the settings aside from motion blur, bloom, and the aforementioned vsync.

The fluctuating frame-rate is probably due to constantly streaming stuff. I've noticed the frame-rate also drops when reaching a new area in an enclosed space (like the opening tutorial)
Still doesn't explain that Killer Croc fight. The frame-rate was really poor during that.

Nabs

First download test completed under normal conditions (using the internet, leaving programs open).

My ISP is Verizon FIOs and my download speed is 25 Mb/s or 3.1 MB/s

Here are the results:

I would like to double my speeds as well.

Are you planning on using a bandwidth meter in the future?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

My ISP is Verizon FIOs and my download speed is at a max of 25 Mb/s or 3.1 MB/s

Here are the results:

Awesome. Was just getting ready to leave and caught this. Kind of confirms what I was thinking yesterday must be true.

Nabs

Have a suggestion? I was looking for software but not sure which to use.

I'm not sure what the kids are using these days. About 10 years ago I downloaded this one called DU Meter. Looking at it now, it seems to have a Stopwatch feature that will measure the data transferred and maximum/average/current data rate.

I'm not sure what the kids are using these days. About 10 years ago I downloaded this one called DU Meter. Looking at it now, it seems to have a Stopwatch feature that will measure the data transferred and maximum/average/current data rate.

I thought that wasn't Windows 8 compatible, but it seems like it is. Thanks for recommending it.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
This is totally the experience I'm looking for after the Dishonored stealth clusterfuck caused by my sub par skills. :D
That should be on the back of the box. "It doesn't matter if your a skilled stealth gamer or not; the game's going to let you fuck up eitherway"

Love stealth games, but i'm pretty bad at them as well.
Haven't finished it yet, but i've played around ten hours of Alpha Protcol and I really like the game but you do need a whole lot of patience and perseverance to make your way through the mediocre gameplay and awfull, awfull level-design. Seriously, who made that first airport level in Arabia?
Ugh.

I really don't know why I enjoy the game if I put it all on paper. Atleast the role-playing is pretty good, and the dialogues are decent. Characters are a bit bland and the voice-acting's all over the place.

Nabs

Should I make it a thread so that others could join in and test the speeds? I'll add more in a little bit after lunch.

Up to you. Honestly, I don't think people want to know the truth. Every time I ask them to check their actual speeds, they just ignore me.

From what I've tested, Origin and Steam both max out my 60Mbps connection. I'll be interested to see what happens when it goes higher.

Vecks

I loved doing this. Also, using that pistol bullet time thing to wipe out a room.

Turfster

What deals are on GMG atm?
New deals:
  • Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed 75% off
  • Crusader Kings II Collection 50% off
  • Morrowing GOTY 67% off
  • Oblivion GOTY 67% off
  • Skyrim Legendary Edition 40% off
  • Dishonored GOTY 40% off
  • Fallout 3 GOTY 67% off

The Deponia and Memoria deals from yesterday are still active.

Khronico

New deals:
  • Sonic and All Stars Racing Transformed 75% off
  • Crusader Kings II Collection 50% off
  • Morrowing GOTY 67% off
  • Oblivion GOTY 67% off
  • Skyrim Legendary Edition 40% off
  • Dishonored GOTY 40% off
  • Fallout 3 GOTY 67% off

67% seems like such a strange, arbitrary percentage... Why not 75%?

Anteater

Looks cool

ss_ce02c7a67278fe0e17xhzry.jpg

ss_e1b4c132cf0ce41959tuaow.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom