• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tizoc

Sure, it took me 3 hours with some idling in the middle, but you can finish it in less if you don't explore every inch of the map, like I always do :p

The 3 achievements are Plucky Patch Kid, Jack Be Nimble and Hyaah! Kyah! Hyeaaagh!

Plucky Patch Kid: When you get to the village in the 1st chapter there is a character (I believe in the 2nd screen) that asks you to move the watermelons to the path in front of her. Very easy.

Jack Be Nimble: Avoid damage during one of the bosses
the giant afer the spider
. You might have to try a few times mostly because of control issues.

Hyaah! Kyah! Hyeaaagh!: Get to wave 11 in all 4 arenas. Not hard but tediuos as I mentioned before.
Thanks mate.

Knurek

blackwell43yx3b.png

(Actual game time was 5.7 hours, rest was from my 2012 playthrough which didn't unlock most of the achievements for some stupid reason).

First of all, I must say I feel a bit cheated. The game runs natively in 640x480 resolution, but other than the title screen and one unused background mentioned in the commentary mode, all art is point resampled from 320x240. It shows and is such a pity, especially given that the background art used ingame is pre-rendered, so it should be a cinch to up-res it natively.

Also, the whole medium/psychic bashing was extremely heavy handed. I'm all for social commentary, but there's a fine line between this and irrational bashing and I feel this game crosses it at times. Yes, mediums are con artists. This does not mean they feast on child flesh, drink human blood for breakfast, etc, etc.

Speaking of crossing the line - Joey has been getting meaner and meaner with each game and some of his lines here are downright abusive. Not sure how to feel about that.

Other than that, another improvement from previous game. Really loved the implementation of commentary mode, and it actually had some good insights into development this time instead of n-th musing about how Dave Gilbert met this or that voice artist. Being able to use phone to look up clues was amazing, since you had to travel to PC apartment to do that in previous games, killing pacing in the process.

Some nice, simple puzzles - nothing akin to Donkey Cart puzzle in Discworld or Cat's Mustache from Gabriel Knight 3, everything was really logical. A few conversation puzzles as well, and few instances of needing to combine clues. Good hint system if you ever get stuck, although I still had to look some things online once or twice - though take it with a grain of salt, since I never was good with actual adventure game 'gameplay' - I play them mostly for story/conversations.

Personal 'not feeling ripped off' price point: $5
(For comparison, using the same metric for previous entries in the series would give you $2/$2/$4)

Any here use Playfire? I set it up with the hopes of getting some nice chump change for the occasional sale on GMG. Just looking for some impressions and what i should expect (if anything).

Tizoc

Any here use Playfire? I set it up with the hopes of getting some nice chump change for the occasional sale on GMG. Just looking for some impression and what i should expect (if anything).

1- Games you've played before won't count towards the 'play for the first time' cash reward, however, the cheevos rewards should still count

2- Keep in mind that it's a Beta and as such there may be glitches like it not regestring cheevos or rewards you did complete, happened to me with The Cave, but seems they're working on fixing such issues.

3- If you ever get a new indie game or just one of the more expensive games, don't play them right away, wait for playfire to have it mentioned then start playing it.

4- Playfire does not update or offer reward lists during weekends (sunday and saturday)

Levyne

Banned
Any here use Playfire? I set it up with the hopes of getting some nice chump change for the occasional sale on GMG. Just looking for some impression and what i should expect (if anything).

I signed up for it but haven't gone any further than that so I am also curious.

Edit: Oh. Thanks Tizoc. I'm generally not an achievement hunter so maybe less useful for me.

schuey7

I use it and so far it is non intrusive and free credit is always welcome.I have earned 4 dollars through it for just playing my games so no harm done.

Tizoc

I use it and so far it is non intrusive and free credit is always welcome.I have earned 4 dollars through it for just playing my games so no harm done.

I've earned $17 so far =P
Saving up for Moebius once they offer a 25 or 30% discount code, and by then I should have enough GMG credit to get it for free XP

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Noted and bought !

Edit : while on the subject of LOK , What is the correct order to play them ?

Go in order of release.

Blood Omen 1 (not on steam, on PSN though), Soul Reaver 1, Soul Reaver 2, Blood Omen 2, and then Defiance.

Then read the two Mama Robotnik threads on the cancelled games.

The 10 Cancelled Legacy of Kains
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=594576
Legacy Of Kain: Dead Sun cancelled.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=651291

Tizoc

1- Games you've played before won't count towards the 'play for the first time' cash reward, however, the cheevos rewards should still count

2- Keep in mind that it's a Beta and as such there may be glitches like it not regestring cheevos or rewards you did complete, happened to me with The Cave, but seems they're working on fixing such issues.

3- If you ever get a new indie game or just one of the more expensive games, don't play them right away, wait for playfire to have it mentioned then start playing it.

4- Playfire does not update or offer reward lists during weekends (sunday and saturday)
Ok, so i guess i have to follow the blog, then? Hmm, that's a bit much for my lazy self.

Ok, yeah, that sounds good. Just wanted to see if it would be even worth it if I don't specifically play to their objectives and just play normally. Sounds like a something-is-better-than-nothing situation, which is fine by me. Thanks for the impressions!

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Speaking of Playfire Rewards, has anyone had any luck getting credits for achievements that didn't register in time by contacting their support team? I missed on The South Park and Swapper rewards because my profile didn't update for nearly a week and I want to mail them and see if anything can be done

Tizoc

Ok, so i guess i have to follow the blog, then? Hmm, that's a bit much for my lazy self.

Not really. First off make sure you'll logged into your Playfire account. Every day go to playfire.com and if you're logged in, look at the upper right and you should see a flag, click on it to see the latest blog entries that list the cash rewards.

Levyne

Banned
Really dumb question.

Playfire rewards are only for games you've purchased on gmg?

Or you can get rewards from other steam games and the credit is for gmg?

Tizoc

Funnily enough, while playfire shows the cash rewards as Pounds to me, I earn them as US Dollars, such that 0.05 Pounds= 0.05 Dollars.
Apparently it's not an actual currency conversion otherwise I would've gotten a little more, but honestly I'm not complaining as I'm comfortable with the credit I'm getting =P

Linking to your Steam account and signing up for the email newsletter should both earn you a little something to start.

They had some bug where stuff earned after 3/16 wasn't being credited and are trying to fix it. radMonkey, who occasionally posts in here, and has been talking with me about my Playfire rewards woes, indicated that they were going to try to scrape back to anything on 3/16 and after to get the credits right.

That said, I'm still awaiting word about the $13+ I'm missing in credit. :|

schuey7

Really dumb question.

Playfire rewards are only for games you've purchased on gmg?

Or you can get rewards from other steam games and the credit is for gmg?

You link your steam account and it tracks your steam games.Honestly its an incentive to clear your backlog for free credit for the applicable games.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I'm happy with just getting some rewards that occur on my normal playing of games and it's a nice fluke on my end. The moment I start playing games not because I want to, but out of compulsion or obligation to earn something or even if it's just on someone's schedule rather than my own, it becomes a task to do rather than a form of entertainment.

£2 is nice to have and I'll appreciate that on my next purchase I'm sure,but I have to ensure I never get on that slippery slope of having playing games feel like work even in just the slightest way.

Annubis

First, Thank you The_Super_Inframan for Half Minute Hero.

Second, I played some Magical Diary and it's pretty fun. I like the dungeons and the feeling of freedom of solution (I'm not sure how many there are, but I found a solution to all of them with my character)

fantomena

Something must be wrong with the Steam servers. I have been idling a couple of games for cards and only received foils and boosters packs.

Salsa

I know Killer is Dead isnt necessarely the best game but Suda on PC is too exciting to pass up

Killer 7 and No More Heroes are like my favorite console games, next to Katamari (we need PC Katamari Damacy up in here)

Sajjaja

I know Killer is Dead isnt necessarely the best game but Suda on PC is too exciting to pass up

Killer 7 and No More Heroes are like my favorite console games, next to Katamari (we need PC Katamari Damacy up in here)

Oh man No Mo Heroes on PC would be sick. I still have to finish No More Heroes 2.

Sammichu

Unwanted Desura key!!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Desura key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Battlepaths -- MB-CCBF5EA6D57D1792 - Taken by Kuroyume

t1396037957z1.png

Salsa

Oh man No Mo Heroes on PC would be sick. I still have to finish No More Heroes 2.

this might sound dumb to some but I think that game's perfect for the Wii

i'd buy it on PC day 1 (and it'd be a great move considering it sold like shit), but after playing the PS3 version I really missed the last blow motion stuff. It just feels that much more satisfying

razer hydra!

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.

I'd definitely want No More Heroes on PC. Game was too good. Really hope Suda at least puts the HD version that released on 360/PS3 on steam someday.

You forgot the wild fluctuations in value.

Hiding all your drug/paedophilia/weapon dealing money.

These.

In addition, or in support of the above, they are currently not subject to U.S. regulation. There are a good many proposed regulation bills on the horizon and it's an easy hook to hang your hat on for any political party. When investors get scared, that's when investors get killed... I mean, sell. The U.S. isn't the be-all-end-all for global economics, but they're a sizable part of it. See: the past 6 or 8 years.

Add to that the large players bowing out and calling for bankruptcy, then denying the size of their involvement, causing major blows.

I like the idea. It just needs a lot of stabilization before it can be taken seriously. Gabe said as much in his AMA. (<-- Linking this back to on-topic Steam thread so people don't go "I like the
insert whatever
talk but can't we just leave it for the other threads?")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom