• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm at Valve so of course you guys are talking about hats.

Arthea

That's fair, actually though if I remember you can tone down the colors in the game on the options menu. The second video I posted, and will post again here, is someone else playing the same boss (the first one) on Very Hard Difficulty, but they also have turned down the colors substantially on the options menu. Same effect?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyldxb1IyMg

well, that's better, nice option to have for sure.
That boss seems eternal lol

On a serious note, the matter of games as an enjoyable activity for me has become something that I've recently begun to dwell on. Even just a year ago I'd laugh off the jokes that I buy more games than I intend to play with the internal notion that I'd get around to at least some of them eventually... but over the past six or so months it's become clear to me that I completely lack the desire to continue with something that doesn't wholly appeal to me. Like, I've been a fan of South Park ever since my brother called me into his room one night in the late 90s and showed me Cartman making fun of poor people during the excursion to South America or whatever, but because I watched a mate play through a good portion of what I'd yet to reach myself in Stick of Truth, when I returned home and loaded up own save, my interest had almost eroded entirely -- SoT is great because it feels as though you're playing an elongated episode of South Park, but the actual game component, as it turned out, doesn't appeal to me as strongly as I first thought.

I should probably clarify that my disillusion towards gaming isn't something that bothers me, but having accepted it, it does feel kinda weird that I spend, relative to what I earn, a lot of money on something I don't really feel strongly about. It's all well and good to joke about how it's nice to have something "just in case", but if there's no intention of making use of that product, is there any sense in obtaining it in the first place? Maybe I'm in too deep and have just subconsciously adjusted to go with the flow that I've developed since the closing days of the 2012 Summer Sale? I dunno.
I was honestly feeling the same way, but the 52 Games 1 Year Challenge really helped me enjoy games more, I recommend you try and just force yourself to play games a bit and after a while what got you into gaming will be reignited, for example in the previous two years I finished around 60 games in total, this year alone I've finished 43 games, it's really been great playing those games and a total blast.

Or maybe it's how you're playing the games? have you tried playing the games on a big screen, or perhaps just changing it up and playing some console games(I think I've seen you post some times that you used to play a lot of PS3 before getting into steam)

I'm not trying to force you to try any of that stuff of course, it's your life and you're allowed to live it whatever way you want, and if buying games and playing assassin's creed makes you happy, than who am I to judge?

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
On a serious note, the matter of games as an enjoyable activity for me has become something that I've recently begun to dwell on. Even just a year ago I'd laugh off the jokes that I buy more games than I intend to play with the internal notion that I'd get around to at least some of them eventually... but over the past six or so months it's become clear to me that I completely lack the desire to continue with something that doesn't wholly appeal to me. Like, I've been a fan of South Park ever since my brother called me into his room one night in the late 90s and showed me Cartman making fun of poor people during the excursion to South America or whatever, but because I watched a mate play through a good portion of what I'd yet to reach myself in Stick of Truth, when I returned home and loaded up own save, my interest had almost eroded entirely -- SoT is great because it feels as though you're playing an elongated episode of South Park, but the actual game component, as it turned out, doesn't appeal to me as strongly as I first thought.

I should probably clarify that my disillusion towards gaming isn't something that bothers me, but having accepted it, it does feel kinda weird that I spend, relative to what I earn, a lot of money on something I don't really feel strongly about. It's all well and good to joke about how it's nice to have something "just in case", but if there's no intention of making use of that product, is there any sense in obtaining it in the first place? Maybe I'm in too deep and have just subconsciously adjusted to go with the flow that I've developed since the closing days of the 2012 Summer Sale? I dunno.

Everyone goes through at least one point where their hobby begins to become less appealing to them for a bit. There was a long point from around 2008 to 2012 where I just stopped playing games as much as I used to. Sometimes you just need to a break for a while, or maybe you just need to find a game that really appeals to you to get you back into playing games more frequently.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
As I have a long ass wait to post Killer is Dead PC OT I'll just post a gif of the thread.
ibjXRWqPG3OR3d.gif

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Will def grab Killer is Dead (on a sale), love me some Suda. Technical issues aside, these niche Japanese console ports make me giddy and I like how they're becoming more common.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Don't hype yourself up for KiD. It looks amazing, but it's completely average.

What if I'm hyped for it as I played and beat it on 360 but excited for a PC version?

It's not my favorite Grasshopper game, but I did like it. Now if Shadows of the Damned was announced for Steam, I'd be frolicking through this topic chatting it all up.

Cth

First off, thanks to Toma for letting me check out Neo Scavenger. If I had missed out on playing this game I'd be kicking my future self :D

So, going into the game I'm pre-disposed to liking it -- just so you're aware of what I'm bringing to this "review". I love rogue-likes (specifically the randomness of level generation, encounters, etc). I love the survival/post-apoc genre.

I've seen others compare it to Fallout, which is apt, but I feel it had more in common with Wasteland with the layout, the picture/text combinations to set the scene, etc. That being said, Fallout is a good comparison. When customizing characters, you can take on additional flaws/perks to make your game even more challenging/rewarding.

Onto the game itself. It's what you make of it. If you want to explore, if you want to scavenge, go on the offense, etc. For my first playthrough, I had an insomniac, stealthy lockpicking, hacker type with medical skills. I managed to last about 2 days avoiding a few confrontations, ultimately succumbing to hypothermia. In my inventory, I had some combat boots, plastic bags, a sleeping bag, berries, water bottles, string, shards of glass, and a crowbar. From time to time I'd find myself blind from exhaustion and hypothermia ultimately making my way east. I ran into a camp that was shipping captured people for food, and fled, hiding my footprints along the way.

The inventory system is like Diablo and those style of games, forcing you to decide how to maximize your storage space. When you equip certain items you add additional spots (like water bottles in your hand letting you store water, plastic bags in backpacks adding space, etc).

The combat system has a lot of interesting options as well. Being able to hide, advancing slowly, hasty retreats, etc. It felt like X-Com in a way, deciding how to best use your movement points to make sure you aren't leaving yourself in a bad position next round.

I've barely scratched the surface to be honest, and I can see myself playing this constantly. If you haven't picked it up in the bundle, you're missing out on a spectacular deal as it's well worth the non-bunded price.

To summarize, lots of options, great artwork, in depth yet simple interface system that lets you play a randomized game in a multitude of ways. The story itself seems interesting as well, but again I've barely scratched the surface, so there may be a lot of storylines I'm missing out on as is.

Is one better than the other in terms of compatibility or features?

Seems like you got sorted, but IMO, you want Scarlet Crush SCP DS3 Server.
DS4Tool was a bit flaky. I still wish they'd combine the two, put the touchpad and lightbar features from DS4tool into SCP DS3... but it hasn't happened yet.

Don't hype yourself up for KiD. It looks amazing, but it's completely average.

As long as it's solid and fun, I'm in.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
The HD version that they made has more issues than the original game. >.>

I would hope they would fix it up before releasing it on PC, but then again japanese dev and we haven't even seen how KID port turned out yet.

Also anybody knows how good Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden runs?

I might be just crazy enough to buy it.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I would hope they would fix it up before releasing it on PC, but then again japanese dev and we haven't even seen how KID port turned out yet.

Also anybody knows how good Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden runs?

I might be just crazy enough to buy it.

Wait for summer sale man.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
What if I'm hyped for it as I played and beat it on 360 but excited for a PC version?

It's not my favorite Grasshopper game, but I did like it. Now if Shadows of the Damned was announced for Steam, I'd be frolicking through this topic chatting it all up.

SOTD: Big Boner Edition

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Ooooh I'll do it. It'll come out within this decade!

My SOURCE (GET IT?!) is this Valve I built onto the desk I made, to hold my headphones:

With love,

The Steam Whisperer
I have the same headphones! Well, actually they belong to my sister, but I always use them when I'm on the PC late at night. I hate that they make my ears hurt.

Everyone goes through at least one point where their hobby begins to become less appealing to them for a bit. There was a long point from around 2008 to 2012 where I just stopped playing games as much as I used to. Sometimes you just need to a break for a while, or maybe you just need to find a game that really appeals to you to get you back into playing games more frequently.

Yup. If gaming is not fun at the moment, don't play. You don't owe games anything. Something will probably come down the pipe that gets you back into it. Or maybe it won't. Or maybe the amount you play will find a new water level.

I used to play a ton of games (2 hours a day, easy), but after getting serious with my girlfriend I started going to a personal trainer twice a week and spinning classes twice a week, and after going to Burning Man for three years and not feeling like I was contributing enough to my theme camp I got into welding and electronics hacking. All of that time had to come from somewhere, and gaming took the cut.

Then after a few months, I found out I didn't really miss it that much. I still play, just not every single day, and I no longer feel some sort of compulsion to play every major game that comes out; I can afford to be a bit more "picky" with my gaming time since I know I have less of it. There's something... relaxing... about not feeling a need to buy stuff at launch, or play every major game that comes down the pipe.

Grief.exe

Take a break Jase, try something new out for a change. It is a hobby after all, so if you are not having fun then don't force yourself into it.

I pick and choose the games I play very carefully to avoid burnout. I drop a game immedietly when I am not liking it.

The last two games I have played, Resident Evil 4 and Banished are both phonemonal and I found myself sucked into both. I think I have ~50 hours between the two games and I can't wait to come back for more.

There's something... relaxing... about not feeling a need to buy stuff at launch, or play every major game that comes down the pipe.

That would probably help me a great deal actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom