• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

MRORANGE

iZGnhxF8VaR58.png

User recommendations for upcoming games in April - How to submit

Know about a game that is coming out next month on Steam? Then tell us by posting in the steam thread on why it deserves to be on Gaf's radar, each month the games with the the best reviews will put on the OT.
We are doing this for the first time, so don't worry if it's not fantastic, as long as it's 50-100 words we should be good.

PM the post you want to submit so I know.

t1396222200z0.png

Are you already covering the major releases like GOAT SIMULATOR?
?

Depends.

I don't know what's crazier, finding the secret rooms in Escape Goat 2, or beating them.

I think I'm seven found, six beaten (out of fourteen, by the looks of it).

r3n4ud

Haha, holy shit, that's a 5$ port of an iOS game with free-to-play styled in-app purchases.
Absolutely disgusting. I sincerely hope these mobile ports stop doing this. I mean, wtf. This shit belongs on mobile, not pc. It's bad enough these games release on pc with their shitty prices, let alone with the in-app crap.

Yeah, the IAP thing means I'll feed ModBot the Magicka key, I guess somebody here can +1 their count with it.

I haven't even played much of the original anyway.

Khronico

iZGnhxF8VaR58.png

User recommendations for upcoming games in April - How to submit

Know about a game that is coming out next month on Steam? Then tell us by posting in the steam thread on why it deserves to be on Gaf's radar, each month the games with the the best reviews will put on the OT.
We are doing this for the first time, so don't worry if it's not fantastic, as long as it's 50-100 words we should be good.

PM the post you want to submit so I know.

t1396222200z0.png

Depends.

Would Trails in the Sky work for a recommendation? It's release date is still kind of TBA but word is it'll be released next month.

Absolutely disgusting. I sincerely hope these mobile ports stop doing this. I mean, wtf. This shit belongs on mobile, not pc. It's bad enough these games release on pc with their shitty prices, let alone with the in-app crap.

Those in-app purchases do not belong in a paid-for game regardless of what the platform is. And it's only going to get worse, not better, with self-publishing on Steam and more developers trying out in-app purchases in bought games across all platforms. It's going to become the new norm.

r3n4ud

Those in-app purchases do not belong in a paid-for game regardless of what the platform is. And it's only going to get worse, not better, with self-publishing on Steam and more developers trying out in-app purchases in bought games across all platforms. It's going to become the new norm.
So, you're a glass-half-empty kind of guy eh? :p

I agree with you though. This is only going to get worse.

Holy crap. Most mobile ports I see, while overpriced, do away with the microtransactions this shit is inexcusable.
Posted this in regards to Breach & Clear but it applies to all mobile ports IMO

Here's a recent quote from the FTL developers on the mobile pricing mentality
Presumably the higher price point will make players a little bit more discerning on whether or not FTL will be something that they're interested in

Which is funny, because we're very expensive on iPad with the same price that's extremely cheap on PC. It could even be the same users that have the different perception of what is a $10 game, just based on the system.

Prices on IOS and mobile are perceived totally different than prices on PC. Would you buy a $15 Android or IOS game? So if developers want to make sales, they need to price their game free or a few bucks. Why the hell should they stay chained to that lopsided unfair misconstrued system when they bring their game to PC, where they have more freedom, a bigger audience, don't need to shorehorn in IAP, etc.

Most PC indies are between $10 and $15 dollars. The most comparable game to Breach & Clear is Door Kickers, which is $15. In fact between the weapon customization, class skills, the permadeath mode, and the fact that it's not Early Access, one could say that Breach & Clear is more complete and worthy of the price tag than DK at the moment

So while I don't think these games are overpriced, just reasonably priced, I will not support IAP in PC games. I don't even support IAP in IOS games. Shit like that does not belong on Steam.

r3n4ud

It's already starting to happen in 60$ releases, isn't it? Doesn't the latest Forza on Xbox One have some f2p styled in-app purchases?
Honestly, I have no idea. Only have a pc. But it's quite sad if it is happening. Really hope this stays far away from us. The thought saddens me :/

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't even know what's real any more. I might own Platformines? I've definitely played a decent amount of it. Was there a free alpha/demo at any point? I've certainly had Platformines installed and played until it said they haven't made any more of the game.

Namco Bandai published this game? I feel like even if I bought this game, it was so long before that deal was in place that I probably don't get a Steam key. I might leave this one a mystery.

On a serious note, the matter of games as an enjoyable activity for me has become something that I've recently begun to dwell on. Even just a year ago I'd laugh off the jokes that I buy more games than I intend to play with the internal notion that I'd get around to at least some of them eventually... but over the past six or so months it's become clear to me that I completely lack the desire to continue with something that doesn't wholly appeal to me. Like, I've been a fan of South Park ever since my brother called me into his room one night in the late 90s and showed me Cartman making fun of poor people during the excursion to South America or whatever, but because I watched a mate play through a good portion of what I'd yet to reach myself in Stick of Truth, when I returned home and loaded up own save, my interest had almost eroded entirely -- SoT is great because it feels as though you're playing an elongated episode of South Park, but the actual game component, as it turned out, doesn't appeal to me as strongly as I first thought.

I should probably clarify that my disillusion towards gaming isn't something that bothers me, but having accepted it, it does feel kinda weird that I spend, relative to what I earn, a lot of money on something I don't really feel strongly about. It's all well and good to joke about how it's nice to have something "just in case", but if there's no intention of making use of that product, is there any sense in obtaining it in the first place? Maybe I'm in too deep and have just subconsciously adjusted to go with the flow that I've developed since the closing days of the 2012 Summer Sale? I dunno.
Why do I feel you just haven't found out what kind of games you actually like (outside of AC of course)? Try different stuff other than mainstream or well received games on gaf, your passion for games drove you to register an account on gaf, now find it.

Lain

Finished Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan, while trying to get the Paylfire rewards. Fortunately I bought it for $1 from IndieGameStand.

The game is quite bad and very buggy, your character can sometimes go off screen with no way to return, controls are slow and unresponsive, audio is horrible (never heard footsteps as bad as the ones in this game), visuals are a hit and miss, etc.

From the screenshots it looked like it could be similar to Bastion but besides the camera perspective there isn't much in common.
In Ku you get only 1 weapon, a sword, and something that shoots bubbles that stuns enemies for a little while and that's it, so the combat comes down to stunning enemy, attacking and rolling back, rinse and repeat.
I have no problem with simplistic combat but when the controls work half the time you press a button then we have a problem. Also the enemy AI (or should I say lack of) is quite bad

The Arena mode is super tedious unlike Bastion challenges. Since there aren't many types of monsters, it introduces enemies with different colors which are basically the same but they just take longer to kill. :/
Last but not least, the Arena mode menu does not work with a controller and you have to use a mouse or you'll get stuck in a loading screen forever.

I wouldn't recommend this game even if it's later patched and fixed.

On the good side, it was short and I got GMG credit for getting some achievements so not everything was in vain.

How do you unlock all the arenas for the achievement? Just finish the game?
And yeah, the game is shit.

topyy

I don't know why but I got an email with a key for Yet Another Zombie Defense.

Yet Another Zombie Defense(Amazing Zombie Defense) Developers sending out Steam keys to newsletter subscribers. Check your mailbox.
http://redd.it/21m0oc

Yet Another Zombie Defense(Amazing Zombie Defense) is available on indie royale The Golden Jubilee Bundle.
If you subscribed to their newsletter before indie royale gave you (2) gift links at that time.

Oh god, when you get the Devil Goat power in Goat Simulator, eventually it will glitch out. And what happens next is horrifying, and glorious, and gloriously horrifying, and horrifyingly glorious.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Were you able to say hi to Gabe?

I didn't but I did have a "Gabe Sighting" on the main floor lobby. He was walking with about 10 people and was talking about superheroes and their powers. He seemed pretty alright.

im rather interested in knowing if they knew about Enhanced Steam and what they thought of it

That's actually why I was there. Even though it wasn't a job interview, I got to meet some really awesome people today. Everyone I talked to was really nice and were users of Enhanced Steam. It's funny because a few of them told stories of how they emailed their development team and thanked them for "finally adding feature X"!!! The development team emailed them back with more or less "Uh... we didn't do that." Turns out, it was Enhanced Steam.

Does the Valve do anything by any chance?

It actually turns / spins! There were also a lot of places to hang a coat or jacket that were actually little red valves.

Salsa

That's actually why I was there. Even though it wasn't a job interview, I got to meet some really awesome people today. Everyone I talked to was really nice and were users of Enhanced Steam. It's funny because a few of them told stories of how they emailed their development team and thanked them for "finally adding feature X"!!! The development team emailed them back with more or less "Uh... we didn't do that." Turns out, it was Enhanced Steam.

that's rad

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Real talk Jshackles: will you still love us the same and post in this thread when you get hired by valve if they let you?

If I got hired by Valve, I would still want to post here. One of the important reasons I feel that Enhanced Steam is as popular as it is because it's iterated on based on everyone's feedback. Customer feedback is a really important piece that I (personally) feel the people in charge of Steam are kind of missing out on.

If I weren't allowed to post on GAF, I would seriously question why that was. Sure there is some general silliness that goes on here sometimes, but you guys are a great bunch and have been a tremendous help in implementing new features into Enhanced Steam.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh god, when you get the Devil Goat power in Goat Simulator, eventually it will glitch out. And what happens next is horrifying, and glorious, and gloriously horrifying, and horrifyingly glorious.

Had to do a bit of editing there, you had some superfluous words at the start.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I have to get a friend a last-minute birthday gift because I forgot; he's got Deadpool on his wishlist. I'm guessing it's not too expensive on the aftermarket yet? Where's the cheapest place to get it hassle-free?

Firehead

I have to get a friend a last-minute birthday gift because I forgot; he's got Deadpool on his wishlist. I'm guessing it's not too expensive on the aftermarket yet? Where's the cheapest place to get it hassle-free?

Last I checked, it was valued at 20~ TF2 keys. Cheapest I've seen from those CD key sellers is $18.56, for the RU version.

Good luck finding a decent price.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If I got hired by Valve, I would still want to post here. One of the important reasons I feel that Enhanced Steam is as popular as it is because it's iterated on based on everyone's feedback. Customer feedback is a really important piece that I (personally) feel the people in charge of Steam are kind of missing out on.

If I weren't allowed to post on GAF, I would seriously question why that was. Sure there is some general silliness that goes on here sometimes, but you guys are a great bunch and have been a tremendous help in implementing new features into Enhanced Steam.
Ok good because once you get hired we need you to branch out to client/account features to improve our lives in that sector.

SteamGAF, how long do you reckon it will be until Goat Simulator has a Llama DLC? I think that will be the deciding factor for when I purchase it.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
SteamGAF, how long do you reckon it will be until Goat Simulator has a Llama DLC? I think that will be the deciding factor for when I purchase it.

I doubt there will be DLC, but there will be Steam Workshop support. You can bring your own llamas to the party.

jshackles

Also got a bit of swag including a hardbound Portal 2 guide in French. :)

For some reason I bought The Elder Scrolls Online. I think MMOs are the only genre where I would buy every game in even if I have doubts that I'll be playing after the few days/weeks.

Yeah most traders are asking for around 20 TF2 Keys atm thats around $46 not sure where else you can get it but there must be key sites selling it cheaper

Im kinda lucky i have 2 copies might hold onto them abit longer though :)

Pakkidis

Sounds like you got some interview answers already lined up :) Congrats. Its only a matter of time before you run the place.

In case anyone wasn't aware, Toki Tori 2+ is legitimately great. Playing it has been a real eye-opener.

I doubt there will be DLC, but there will be Steam Workshop support. You can bring your own llamas to the party.

Oh! I didn't realise/forgot that. Wooonnddeerrrful!

Thanks for the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom