• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Currently playing Remember Me, combat mechanics are a little dull, but damn, the setting and graphics are top notch!

I feel like Remember Me is a game that would have a great sequel, it's mechanics just need to be improved a bit more because the ideas are there for a really top notch game, but they just don't unfortunately.

Like you said the combat mechanics are a bit dull, my biggest problem with the combat was that certain enemies are weak to only certain types of special attacks but they have a cool down, so if there are multiple enemies on the screen weak to the same type of special attack then you're force to cart wheel all over the place until your cooldown goes away and you can carry on with the fighting.

Same with the changing memories stuff, if it happened more than 4 times and if it had been a bit more open with how they affected the game it would be pretty interesting and would also be an incentive to replay the game.

But aside from that I do like how much memories are played into the style of the game, the combo system is based around memorization of certain attacks in order to perform special moves, and trying to find hidden packages is based around remembering what certain locations look like and then heading back to find it, those small things really show that they did care about the game, so I definitely would be interested in a Remember Me sequel.

ArjanN

I would hope they would fix it up before releasing it on PC, but then again japanese dev and we haven't even seen how KID port turned out yet.

Also anybody knows how good Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden runs?

I might be just crazy enough to buy it.

It's not hard to run at 60FPS at all.

First off, thanks to Toma for letting me check out Neo Scavenger. If I had missed out on playing this game I'd be kicking my future self :D

So, going into the game I'm pre-disposed to liking it -- just so you're aware of what I'm bringing to this "review". I love rogue-likes (specifically the randomness of level generation, encounters, etc). I love the survival/post-apoc genre.

I've seen others compare it to Fallout, which is apt, but I feel it had more in common with Wasteland with the layout, the picture/text combinations to set the scene, etc. That being said, Fallout is a good comparison. When customizing characters, you can take on additional flaws/perks to make your game even more challenging/rewarding.

Onto the game itself. It's what you make of it. If you want to explore, if you want to scavenge, go on the offense, etc. For my first playthrough, I had an insomniac, stealthy lockpicking, hacker type with medical skills. I managed to last about 2 days avoiding a few confrontations, ultimately succumbing to hypothermia. In my inventory, I had some combat boots, plastic bags, a sleeping bag, berries, water bottles, string, shards of glass, and a crowbar. From time to time I'd find myself blind from exhaustion and hypothermia ultimately making my way east. I ran into a camp that was shipping captured people for food, and fled, hiding my footprints along the way.

The inventory system is like Diablo and those style of games, forcing you to decide how to maximize your storage space. When you equip certain items you add additional spots (like water bottles in your hand letting you store water, plastic bags in backpacks adding space, etc).

The combat system has a lot of interesting options as well. Being able to hide, advancing slowly, hasty retreats, etc. It felt like X-Com in a way, deciding how to best use your movement points to make sure you aren't leaving yourself in a bad position next round.

I've barely scratched the surface to be honest, and I can see myself playing this constantly. If you haven't picked it up in the bundle, you're missing out on a spectacular deal as it's well worth the non-bunded price.

To summarize, lots of options, great artwork, in depth yet simple interface system that lets you play a randomized game in a multitude of ways. The story itself seems interesting as well, but again I've barely scratched the surface, so there may be a lot of storylines I'm missing out on as is.

Thanks for the write up, I forgot that I had gotten this in the BemineGroupees bundle 5 and I found this site which helped me figure out how to get my steam key :). I was really looking forward to this when I picked it up in the bundle but I haven't opened the desura client in yonks so I completely forgot about it.

Everyone goes through at least one point where their hobby begins to become less appealing to them for a bit. There was a long point from around 2008 to 2012 where I just stopped playing games as much as I used to. Sometimes you just need to a break for a while, or maybe you just need to find a game that really appeals to you to get you back into playing games more frequently.

This is strange, I stopped playing games for the exact same period of time. I wonder if it was related to trends in games at that point. I ended up playing Baldur's Gate 2 which got me heavily back into the game. But I think what you said is true, a break can be a really good thing. Just put down the hobby and explore other avenues in your life, if gaming is something you really enjoy then you'll come back to it with a fresh new perspective, if not then I'm sure you'll find other hobbies or experiences to spend time on.

Ruruja

ihii.gif

Khronico

Is Magicka - Wizards of the Square Tablet any good?

I'm debating on whether to cash in my key or toss it.

I played it a while back when it first came out on Android and remember enjoying it. It's essentially the same as the original except in 2d and sidescrolling. Not sure how the PC port is.

Tizoc

OK, I'm $2 of GMG Credits shy from being able to get Moebius for 0$. There's no limit to how much GMG Credit we can spend right?

I am noticing that Origin install times are insanely long. 3 minutes to install Kingdoms of Amalur while Steam launched it immediately after the download finished.

So, project zomboid, its is worth in its current state?

I would say so, I bought it at $15 and had some fun with it. It's surprisingly atmospheric for such a simple-looking game, with really fantastic sound design and some very different ideas. This was a few versions ago, so it's probably rather different now.

I feel that the game will only get better with time.

There's a demo I think on Steam, I think. It's worth a try if you're on the fence.

Phinor

Whoa they really fixed Playfire rewards system, my account that never received any rewards at all just got a ton of achievements and rewards added to it. Faith restored!

Salsa

off topic question but you guys should know: bud is trying to sell a Titanfall key for about $30 but it's a UK version, he's trying to find out if there's any difference between that and the US one.

im telling him there's probably none at all and it works all over the world just the same but he wants to find out for sure. any ideas? I remember people pre-ordering Battlefield for cheaper places like India with no issues so I doubt there's any issue..

Tellaerin

I have not fallen out of love with FTL.

Whew! You had me scared for a moment. ^^;

I would just like to "100%" it before the new content, that's all.

Hopefully they allow us to de-select the new content for the vanilla experience.

Good news! A quick look at the FTL homepage yielded this little tidbit about the Advanced Edition update:

For the purists out there, FTL vanilla will still be available. All of the new content can be disabled from within the hangar before starting a new game.

Card Boy

Banned
off topic question but you guys should know: bud is trying to sell a Titanfall key for about $30 but it's a UK version, he's trying to find out if there's any difference between that and the US one.

im telling him there's probably none at all and it works all over the world just the same but he wants to find out for sure. any ideas? I remember people pre-ordering Battlefield for cheaper places like India with no issues so I doubt there's any issue..

Origin is region free when it comes to keys. Even if it's a UK key (which doesn't matter and probably isn't) when you put it Orgin you have a choice what locale version you want. Plus you can play on any servers you want.

derExperte

No region locks, all keys are the same. When I bought BF3 in Korea (later got BF4 in Mexico) a few people complained about losing the game and getting the money refunded but we bought it directly through the store, if it's a key EA doesn't care, never heard of anyone having problems.

FloatOn

I take it all back dark souls 2 is dope as hell.

edit: to clarify - yesterday I called it a greatest hits album and I stand by that but to take the music metaphor a bit further it's kind of like when amnesiac came out. I mean I just had my whole world shattered by kid A and then they come out with something even more obtuse? but when you warm up to it - look out because it's heroin.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
This is strange, I stopped playing games for the exact same period of time. I wonder if it was related to trends in games at that point. I ended up playing Baldur's Gate 2 which got me heavily back into the game. But I think what you said is true, a break can be a really good thing. Just put down the hobby and explore other avenues in your life, if gaming is something you really enjoy then you'll come back to it with a fresh new perspective, if not then I'm sure you'll find other hobbies or experiences to spend time on.

I think it was because of a mix of too much class and homework in my later years of high school mixed with just not having fun with gaming as much as I used to. The game that I credit with getting me back into gaming was Xenoblade. I had picked up a Wii U at launch, but I wasn't really playing it too much after beating some of the launch titles because of a lack of games that interested me, and I was still kind of disillusioned because one of the games I was most hyped for, ZombiU, being an Ubisoft game, had a game breaking glitch about when I was about 10 hours in. So I decided to look into Wii games I missed and came across cheap copies of the Last Story and Xenoblade. I played LS for a bit, but it wasn't really doing anything for me so I started playing Xenoblade and got hooked. Then I got a 3DS and started diving into a massive backlog. It took me a lot longer to get back into PC gaming since all I had was a shit tier laptop and a desktop PC from 1995 that was outfitted with 2005 parts and couldn't connect to the Internet for reasons. When I was younger, I bought a lot of physical copies of PC games like the Age of Empires and Civ games, but soon the computers I had couldn't handle newer games so I just stopped playing them on the desktop and played some of them on the laptop, getting games like FTL, one of the few games I really got into during that period. And that laptop died, so it took a while before I dived back into PC.
I've already bought 17 PC games in the past two months, which is a lot for me, regardless of system.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Just played through Deus Ex - The Missing Link. It's a weird bit of DLC. I would easily recommend it to you if you played through and liked Human Revolution. It's at least 3, probably more like 4-5 hours of additional content, so it's really really big as a piece of DLC -- so big I have no idea how they integrate it with the main game because it feels like it would utterly kill the pacing since almost nothing happens story-wise and the story that does happen has essentially no connection to the main game. As a result, I recommend playing it separately to the game.

The downsides, besides the lack of story and interesting dialogue, are that the environments have a bunch of backtracking, are pretty visually drab and grey, and nothing new in terms of items or augments or anything like that is added to the game. So if you look at it as a level pack for HR, I think you'll like it better.

Personally I went for an achievement that required me to use no weapons, no explosives, and not upgrade my augs at all (the game resets your augs at the beginning of the DLC to a sort of base level). I also chose to make it a no kill playthrough and not to use any items, because why not? That made the DLC a lot longer, a lot harder, and a lot more of a stealth game. My playthrough of DE:HR was no kills and fairly few detections, but this was way more difficult because I couldn't even use non-lethal weapons and I had no battery to do the QTE knockouts. I'm not sure in hindsight I'd recommend this approach, but it was interesting for me. I might do a separate playthrough to get the two achievements I missed and just shoot the shit out of every enemy I see because why not?

Edit: One other note. In the last 30 minutes or so of the DLC, the main bad guy is openly taunting you over an intercom. He says stuff like "I thought you'd make an ally but now I see that you're worthless!" "You're just pitiful!" "We're not so different and if you think about it, you're ever worse than me". This is so stupid in any video game, and it's so stupid here. Just awful. But the worst part is that the bad guy argues "You can't criticize me for experimenting on humans against their will because you were experimented on against your will". Excellent argument, dumbass. That's exactly what gives me the moral authority to criticize human experimentation. Like, did someone actually write this and think it was provocative stuff?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Valve is a wonderful place. Unfortunately I don't have a job there yet, but it seems a lot more obtainable now.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
It's at least 3, probably more like 4-5 hours of additional content, so it's really really big as a piece of DLC -- so big I have no idea how they integrate it with the main game because it feels like it would utterly kill the pacing since almost nothing happens story-wise and the story that does happen has essentially no connection to the main game.

It's integrated fairly well in the DC. Since it's now built into the main storyline, later in the game
Jensen is on board a ship headed for Singapore and discovered, his augmentations taken away leaving him just as he was at the start of the game.
I found that it was an interesting way to make something so late in the game feel like it was part of the main narrative and not DLC like it was. Having never played Missing Link when it was originally released, I've got to say that it really didn't detract from the game, despite an initial period where I had to become accustomed to playing without the upgrades,
as you get all of your augmentation points and inventory back at the end of the section before you leave to Singapore.
The choice you're forced to make at the end was one of the best parts of the game
because you can take the third option if you've thoroughly explored the level and noticed it.

HoosTrax

Anyone have any thoughts on Anno 2070? The steam reviews are 50/50, is the DRM that bad?

Maybe I'll just wait and pick it up on sale.
The game itself is a solid city builder / RTS / 4X hybrid game, with pretty high learning curve. It's been over a year since I last played it, so I'm not sure what the state of uPlay is these days and how stable it is in terms of uptime.

Well, now my slight interest in that game is completely gone.

Reminds me of the Knights of Pen and Paper port.
I'm going to give it a fair shot and see if it's pay-to-win / grindy. I did see that there's a lot of pre-unlocked gear on the PC version.
Exclusively for the PC version your wizard will get all in-game robes and staffs unlocked from the start in this enhanced square edition. Remove the grinding time and get right to the action with your choice of gear! All of these goodies will be unlocked on every other platform you choose to play on

First impressions so far -- it's a side-scrolling version of Magicka (same combat system with the spell combos), with Castle Crashers aesthetic.

oipic

Valve is a wonderful place. Unfortunately I don't have a job there yet, but it seems a lot more obtainable now.

Sounds positive, jshack - nice one, mate.

Looking forward to hearing more from your adventures, assuming you have anything you're allowed to share, that is. :)

Just played through Deus Ex - The Missing Link. It's a weird bit of DLC. I would easily recommend it to you if you played through and liked Human Revolution. It's at least 3, probably more like 4-5 hours of additional content, so it's really really big as a piece of DLC -- so big I have no idea how they integrate it with the main game because it feels like it would utterly kill the pacing since almost nothing happens story-wise and the story that does happen has essentially no connection to the main game. As a result, I recommend playing it separately to the game.
As it turns out, yeah, integrating it into the main game does result in making a mess of the pacing as evident from playing the Director's Cut. Even without all the extra bugs found in that version I would still find myself preferring vanilla just because its playthroughs are much tighter excluding ML. It's not just a matter of how long it takes and how disconnected it feels from the rest of the game, but just the matter of reshuffling your inventory and stats at the end of it just makes it really clunky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom