• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
dontbelievehislies.jpg

It's a steaming pile of mammoth shit.

What can I say, I just don't agree at all. I wouldn't say it's one of my favourite games I've ever played as one example, but I'd say I had a better time gameplay-wise with it than the recent Bioshock dlc, as another example. I probably extrapolated mroe on what I liked/didn't like in the OT for the game, but overall, even a month removed from the initial experience, I thought it was a pretty great game.

Quick summary would be: good stealth, good mission level design and atmosphere, cons would be a confusing at times hub with some unclear level transition points. Story stands firmly in the middle; fairly inconsequential to the experience. Not great, but no worse than the average example of a video game plot.

Quick summary would be: good stealth, good mission level design and atmosphere, cons would be a confusing at times hub with some unclear level transition points. Story stands firmly in the middle; fairly inconsequential to the experience. Not great, but no worse than the average example of a video game plot.

How is it a good stealth game when you can't do certain actions at will because they're context sensitive? You can't lean look unless you enter sticky cover and the problem is not everything provides you with the ability to enter sticky cover.

Compared to some of its peers Thi4f, mechanically, is clunky. Swooping is great and all but the travesal mechanics feel weak compared to Dishonored.

How is it a good stealth game when you can't do certain actions at will because they're context sensitive? You can't lean look unless you enter sticky cover and the problem is not everything provides you with the ability to enter sticky cover.

Compared to some of its peers Thi4f, mechanically, is clunky. Swooping is great and all but the travesal mechanics feel weak compared to Dishonored.

I suppose my answer is still not as good as the best stealth games I've ever played, but better than some of my recent experiences with the genre? I liked Dishonored more too, but that doesn't nullify that I enjoyed the game.

Turfster

good mission level design
What? No. The "main" missions were the worst part of the game, with one-way doors and bullshit scripted sequences. If the only fun and halfway interesting part of your game is the optional and missable side-missions, something went horribly wrong.

Story stands firmly in the middle; fairly inconsequential to the experience. Not great, but no worse than the average example of a video game plot.
The story is abominable, and a clear example of frankensteining 5 different 'stories' together and ending up with an absolute abysmal mess that makes no fucking sense. The characters (apart from Basso) were all cookie cutter and uninteresting - even clownesque in case of the Thieftaker General.

kudoboi

but it's a great first person adventure stealth game.

it might just be me but even as someone who never played the previous thief games, this game was really boring for me. the story didn't make sense for me and the characters are pretty forgettable.

the linear level designs did not help, i feel that a stealth game should have multiple ways to complete a mission and forcing you into a single path made it feel more like an action game than a stealth game.

overall, i regret pre ordering the game even at 33% off. i cannot bring myself to finish the game after the 4th chapter because of how boring it felt in general

Turfster

it might just be me but even as someone who never played the previous thief games, this game was really boring for me. the story didn't make sense for me and the characters are pretty forgettable.

the linear level designs did not help, i feel that a stealth game should have multiple ways to complete a mission and forcing you into a single path made it feel more like an action game than a stealth game.

Play the first games. Seriously.

Haha okay guys, I get it, you don't like Thief. Bear in mind that when I said I enjoyed it, and gave the reasons why I don't think it's steaming shit when called out, it wasn't with the intent or want to change your own opinions. I'm not trying to be SE PR here, simply giving my own opinion, I'm not here to defend the game as if it's my child. As mentioned, I still think what I think, but I appreciate you feel otherwise; I'm secure and comfortable with that.

Anyway, anyone here been in on the Divinity early access? I got some birthday money off family today and thought I might jump in on the beta update. I'm happy to be a bug tester, but I kind of want a good gameplay experience so I was wondering, how is it feature set wise at the moment, what state will it be in come the beta update , compared to what's projected to be there at launch?

It has puzzles?

Serious question.

I certainly don't remember any serious puzzle sections of the game, but it has been awhile. A few, "you'll need to burn this rope to drop that box to continue your traversal" things, but I don't really even remember anything on the level of Drake & his notebook in Uncharted. Could be wrong though.

Grief.exe

It is funny to me that the worst Thief games are also the most expensive.

Thief - $1.74
Thief II - $1.74
Thief: Deadly Shadows - $2.24
Thief 4 - $33.34

Speaking of first-person stealth games: I really enjoyed Dishonored (especially the last 60%). If I liked that, should I buy the DLC? Heard good things.

I'm sitting here pondering if I have the energy and mental fortitude [i has teh man flu] to tackle an XCOM Impossible run which would leave me with 2 multi-player [which I've never played] achievements and all the EW achievements to do for a perfect game, according to Steam. So I decided to craft the last level of the XCOM badge and was pleased to see a new background appear \o/. However, I can't change to it in my profile because that option is borked :mad:.

Is this issue known to Valve or should I contact support? I'm pretty sure I saw someone else say they had this issue in here relatively recently but might have misunderstood whilst skimming the thread.

EDIT - after checking my inventory it wasn't the background I thought I needed. meh I'll wait for it to sort itself out [subject to Valve time].

Turfster

I was actually just thinking of asking that next.

Whether the release of Thief 4 suddenly makes Deadly Shadows a title worth playing in hindsight.

Deadly Shadows' main problem at launch was the LOLconsolization, with small maps with awkward loading screens everywhere and a few other "streamlining" choices, but it still had a decent story, great atmosphere, awesome sound design and it capped off the trilogy nicely and was fun to play to boot.

Since Thi4f is even worse on exactly the same points, but has none of the plus points...

rtcn63

Deadly Shadows' main problem at launch was the LOLconsolization, with small maps with awkward loading screens everywhere and a few other "streamlining" choices, but it still had a decent story, capped off the trilogy nicely and was fun to play.

Since Thi4f is even worse on exactly the same points, but has none of the plus points...

Thief 3 was totally inconsistent for me with regards to knocking out enemies. Maybe the window for it was smaller than I was used to, but there were times when I'd follow a guard and hit him repeatedly from every angle without him noticing or going down. Having to quick save before every attempt made me stop the game so many missions in. Just wasn't enjoyable.

FloatOn

hey my sister just hooked me up with an amazon giftcard for my birthday. I went ahead and grabbed arkham origins. any other deals I should look at?

Arthea

I should have expected that, steam support doesn't read inquiries.
Oh well, I'll live without being able to buy from steam store (><)

Turfster

Thief 3 was totally inconsistent for me with regards to knocking out enemies. Maybe the window for it was smaller than I was used to, but there were times when I'd follow a guard and hit him repeatedly from every angle without him noticing or going down. Having to quick save before every attempt made me stop the game so many missions in. Just wasn't enjoyable.

Like I said, it wasn't perfect, but it's Thief to DS compared to thi4f... if that makes sense.

Grief.exe

Morrowind,Oblivion and Fallout 3 GOTY on sale at GMG for $6.59 for the Elder Scrolls titles and $9.89 for FO3.

Deadly Shadows' main problem at launch was the LOLconsolization, with small maps with awkward loading screens everywhere and a few other "streamlining" choices, but it still had a decent story, great atmosphere, awesome sound design and it capped off the trilogy nicely and was fun to play to boot.

Interesting, thanks for the synopsis. I'll have to check it out one of these days.

The_Monk

Decided to check the Community Page for Dark Souls II since it's pretty much my most anticipated game for PC in the upcoming month (but I will only get it in May, ugh) and the first thing I saw was this:

esdLlVE.png

...Why people waste their time with such pointless post is beyond me!

Decided to check the Community Page for Dark Souls II since it's pretty much my most anticipated game for PC in the upcoming month (but I will only get it in May, ugh) and the first thing I saw was this:

esdLlVE.png

Kids pretending to be funny...

Sajjaja

esdLlVE.png

743pv7l.jpg

esdLlVE.png

The world is full of morons.
Believe it.

I have no hope for Dark Souls II being anything like what I was excited and hyped for based off the demos/beta footage.
However, DS, even without DSfix, blows the console versions (expecially x360) of DS out of the water.
To think that the PC version of the sequel would be inferior to the console version seems ludicrous.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Anyway, anyone here been in on the Divinity early access? I got some birthday money off family today and thought I might jump in on the beta update. I'm happy to be a bug tester, but I kind of want a good gameplay experience so I was wondering, how is it feature set wise at the moment, what state will it be in come the beta update , compared to what's projected to be there at launch?

There is an Alpha (Soon to be Beta) OT if you want to be kept abreast of updates.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=735515

The Developers have stated that the game will officially transition to Beta status this week.

Overall the game has a lot of features already implemented, and the Beta is going to expand on them with a major content patch which will among other things open up all of cyseal. You can read the list of updates in the first post to see all the content already added; and watch this video to see some of the updates for the Beta.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7RuQ0AI3BJs

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
However, DS, even without DSfix, blows the console versions (expecially x360) of DS out of the water.
This. Blighttown :/
Not as bad as the Dragon God in DeS with it's zero FPS, though. Speaking of which, I started playing Demon's Souls in preparation for DSII a couple of months ago and finished it last week. Even though I have a whole lot of awesome games in my library, the wait for April the 25th is going to be a though one. :p

I've said it many times before, but the exploration in the Souls games is just so gooooood.

There is an Alpha (Soon to be Beta) OT if you want to be kept abreast of updates.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=735515

The Developers have stated that the game will officially transition to Beta status this week.

Overall the game has a lot of features already implemented, and the Beta is going to expand on them with a major content patch which will among other things open up all of cyseal. You can read the list of updates in the first post to see all the content already added; and watch this video to see some of the updates for the Beta.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7RuQ0AI3BJs

Hey, thanks for that man, sounds good. I think I'm going to grab it, so i'll be sure to subscribe to the OT and share my thoughts as I go. If all of the land is opened up and the beta is really about playtesting and rooting out all the bugs across the game, then I'm super up for it, I just didn't want to join the fun before the feature set and locations was fairly complete.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
I actually have no idea what's the source of that picture, I just see it get posted around frequently.
WHAT?
I'm going to cry myself to sleep :(

Only two more games to the magic number 1000. Which should be my 999th and 1000th game? Please, not Bad Rats
I'm saving the Fast and Furious game for that moment.

What do you think "like a Tomb Raider game" means? Tomb Raider 2013 has traversal including jumping and climbing, it has combat against animals and humans, it has treasures, it has puzzles, it has a stupid-ass supernatural plot. If that's Tomb Raider to you, then it's like a Tomb Raider game. But it does feel different.
I disagree on the puzzle part, there are barely any and stupidly simple. The setting is very TR-like, the gameplay as a whole is not.

Y'all should be getting Lara Croft: Guardian of Light instead.
This, such an excellent game.

esdLlVE.png

He's just trying to troll and failing at it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Y'all should be getting Lara Croft: Guardian of Light instead.

Quite right my younger Scrooge friend.

Guardian Of Light really is a Tomb Raider that doesn't feel or play like others in the franchise, being a side-title to be sure, but easily my favourite and most played of the lot due to enjoyable action and puzzle co-op (twice on consoles, soon a third time on PC). Though I will say it's quite playable with just single player.

Using a fixed camera to simulate an isometric view, you go through an ancient Mayan temple full of deadly traps, spike pits, stone statues, spiders, and plenty of other enemies dispatched through an infinite supply of weapons that has rather spot on aim. Not to be confused for a twin stick shooter or Guantlet like, it's full of puzzles to solve, traps to disarm, and sections to platform and it really is great in a lush tropical location inside a crumbling ancient temple.

Buy it if you love Lara Croft as it's a fun adventure for her that feels right with previous titles, buy it if you don't care about Lara Croft at all and just want a good action platformer with puzzles, or buy it if you really hate spiders and want to make them suffer. It's good fun all around.

rookiejet

\o/

A perfect run?! :eek: I still make stupid mistakes/bad choices despite the number of hours I've played it. I think you are wise to re-frame how you look at the game as putting pressure on yourself for a perfect run is just setting yourself up for disappointment. The game is designed to make a perfect run all but impossible I feel, even on the easiest difficulty setting for someone who knows the game inside and out.

Early game is by far the hardest part of the game. It's a constant challenge to juggle everything so that you are not borking your run. Not only do you have to manage the base and your resources but you have to nurture your soldier boys and girls until they are a bit more resilient. I've had a run where the base/resource management went wonderfully but my soldiers were so decimated/low level it made progress essentially impossible. One has to juggle both aspects and be flexible enough to change plans according to how the game plays out. It's possible to use an overall strategy in multiple playthroughs but not every playthrough plays out exactly the same so thinking on your feet is required.

However, this is all moot if the essential gameplay is not satisfying. For me it really is; I love the way the game rewards careful, methodical play, focusing not only on the short term but the long term too. My advice would be to try to enjoy the moment; play it as a journey game rather than a destination game, if you know what I mean. Perhaps play it at an easier difficulty level? My first playthrough was on Easy and that gave me all I could handle as I didn't know what the hell I was doing and apart from Advance Wars had never really played this type of game before. I would recommend only save scumming to compensate for game bugs/glitches that bork a mission but as long as you play and enjoy it, knock yourself out. Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions about the game you think I might be able to help with :).

Thanks for the advice and words of encouragement :). I was set on playing it as a self-development exercise (lol), but you had me consider the fun of it all (games, duh!) I am curious as to what else is there that I haven't seen or tried in the game; it seems very deep. And I really did enjoy playing it the times I let my hair down, so to speak, and rolled with the punches. Fire Emblem, the only other game I've played of this style, rarely evoked this much hesitation. Maybe because saving wasn't as granular? Give me enough rope and I'll just end up hanging myself with it -_-

esdLlVE.png

lol, maybe a little cruel ;).

Nabs

esdLlVE.png

He's bored waiting for DSII to come out. That icon next to his name means he owns the game on Steam.

natertots

Has anyone else had a problem getting Arkham Asylum to run on Windows 8.1? At first I was getting an error saying I did not have PhysX properly installed. I obviously did but I fixed that error. Next I had a Microsoft NET Framework Error and I didn't even try a fix for that one yet. I just tried the demo, but is this something that persists will the full version as well? If it's fixable I would like to get the full game before it goes off sale.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom