• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
anyone know where i can buy XCOM complete for a decent price?

Have you considered getting just EU if you can find it cheap enough and picking up the three DLCs later?

There is plenty of content in the vanilla EU for you to dig into and that would be my recommended way of playing the game. I have played EU for over 500 hours now and only added in the non EW DLC relatively recently. I have almost 100%ed it sans EW now but from what I understand EW adds in so much I am very glad that my first experience with the game was sans EW. There was plenty for me to get to grips with and I think I might have felt rather overwhelmed if I'd started with EW. Now I'll get to enjoy EW from a firm base of knowing what the hell I'm doing.

Feel free to ignore if that's not what you wish to do but I thought I'd suggest it as an option. You won't lose anything by doing it this way. The Complete version is just a collection of everything that can be bought separately.

So, I just brought Sleeping Dogs from Amazon but the code has already been used..god dammit.

Time to see if their support is worth a damn.

TuckingFypo

Indeed :).

Stupid question: does Football Manager 2011 Arsenal Edition activate on steam?

If it doesn't it's because the universe has baulked at the travesty of it not being called "Football Manager 2011 The Arsenal Edition"

Knurek

Imagine that, Saoirse can actually act. And here I thought she was just JaseC's eyecandy.

In Steam related news, I've been considering 100% Enslaved before, but with those random hangs, I don't really feel like combing through already cleared chapters for missing orbs. Single playthrough, if the game doesn't piss me off anymore than it already has.

Only two more games to the magic number 1000. Which should be my 999th and 1000th game? Please, not Bad Rats

FTL and XCOM!!!

Oh, you already own them :/.

Wait, why do you need 998 other games if you have those two? :/

:eek: You haven't played XCOM! :mad:

An infinite number of copies of Bad Rats and Barbie for you! :mad:

_hekk05

Banned
Only two more games to the magic number 1000. Which should be my 999th and 1000th game? Please, not Bad Rats

99 spirits for 999th game? 1000th should be something you really want. Something you are willing to splurge for. And by splurge I mean a max of 20 dollars

Deques

FTL and XCOM!!!

Oh, you already own them :/.

Wait, why do you need 998 other games if you have those two? :/

:eek: You haven't played XCOM! :mad:

An infinite number of copies of Bad Rats and Barbie for you! :mad:

No Barbie for me >.<

99 spirits for 999th game? 1000th should be something you really want. Something you are willing to splurge for. And by splurge I mean a max of 20 dollars

I got 99 Spirits already. It would be nice if it is my 999th game ^^

In the less than two hours to go, please riddle me this.

How does the Tomb Raider on sale compare to, say, Tomb Raider Legend? In terms of gameplay, that is. Also, assuming I get it, and I stick with single player, which version will I want to get - vanilla, survival, or GOTY?

rookiejet

Have you considered getting just EU if you can find it cheap enough and picking up the three DLCs later?

There is plenty of content in the vanilla EU for you to dig into and that would be my recommended way of playing the game. I have played EU for over 500 hours now and only added in the non EW DLC relatively recently. I have almost 100%ed it sans EW now but from what I understand EW adds in so much I am very glad that my first experience with the game was sans EW. There was plenty for me to get to grips with and I think I might have felt rather overwhelmed if I'd started with EW. Now I'll get to enjoy EW from a firm base of knowing what the hell I'm doing.

Feel free to ignore if that's not what you wish to do but I thought I'd suggest it as an option. You won't lose anything by doing it this way. The Complete version is just a collection of everything that can be bought separately.

TuckingFypo

Indeed :).

If it doesn't it's because the universe has baulked at the travesty of it not being called "Football Manager 2011 The Arsenal Edition"

Your screenshots and funny captions have worn me down, I'm going to give it another go. I am keen this time on letting go of the compulsion to perfect a run. I have since come to the conclusion that XCOM will either drive me mad or cure me of perfectionist tendencies XD. Save-scumming was really hardcore for me with that game. By a mission's end I'd have like, 20+ new save files. Embarrassing. I guess I'll have to keep reminding myself "losing is okay; let go."

Nabs

In the less than two hours to go, please riddle me this.

How does the Tomb Raider on sale compare to, say, Tomb Raider Legend? In terms of gameplay, that is. Also, assuming I get it, and I stick with single player, which version will I want to get - vanilla, survival, or GOTY?

Tomb Raider 2013 is closer to a game like Uncharted than any of the older titles. It's still fun, but it's a completely different type of game. If you decide to pick it up, go with Vanilla. The DLC pack is filled with garbage.

Arksy

Hey guys, I couldn't find stupidly reliable information on this, but...

How would I distribute my steam games across multiple drives?

Tomb Raider 2013 is closer to a game like Uncharted than any of the older titles. It's still fun, but it's a completely different type of game. If you decide to pick it up, go with Vanilla. The DLC pack is filled with garbage.

Okay, never played Uncharted since I'm not a console gamer...so you're saying it's not much like a Tomb Raider game at all? I may have to give it a pass then.

Hey guys, I couldn't find stupidly reliable information on this, but...

How would I distribute my steam games across multiple drives?

When you hit install you can create a new directory on another drive. The can then use the pull down menu to install other subsequent games straight there.

If they are already installed you can use "steamtools" a 3rd party program to move them to another drive.

Ptaaty

Okay, never played Uncharted since I'm not a console gamer...so you're saying it's not much like a Tomb Raider game at all? I may have to give it a pass then.

Almost none except the all too few and all two short tombs. These are the only areas with anything for the classic puzzles.

I found it to be a great looking game with fun combat (if you use the bow exclusively), garbage story/plot.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

What do you think "like a Tomb Raider game" means? Tomb Raider 2013 has traversal including jumping and climbing, it has combat against animals and humans, it has treasures, it has puzzles, it has a stupid-ass supernatural plot. If that's Tomb Raider to you, then it's like a Tomb Raider game. But it does feel different.

Pachimari

Just watched Indie: The Movie for the first time and I now have a refueled love for indie games.

Do we know of any upcoming movies, now that Free 2 Play is also out?

What do you think "like a Tomb Raider game" means? Tomb Raider 2013 has traversal including jumping and climbing, it has combat against animals and humans, it has treasures, it has puzzles, it has a stupid-ass supernatural plot. If that's Tomb Raider to you, then it's like a Tomb Raider game. But it does feel different.

Please don't be like that, Stump. When someone says it's a "completely different type of game" and "it feels different" while giving me reference to a game I've never played, I had to draw a conclusion.

I think I'll give it a pass this time, maybe wait until next sale, but I did pick up Anniversary because I hadn't played it yet and liked Legend. Thanks for the help, though.

kafiend

Lara Croft: Island Explorer = Great stuff

Tomb Raider (with actual tombs and the raiding of) - Not so much.

Acccent

I have a problem with AC4... on the PS4, but I can't find the OT (on my phone) and I figure people who played it on PC might be able to help- I think JaseC 100%'d it?

The issue is that there's a viewpoint that won't get marked as synced, even though I did climb and synchronize it, with the whole camera loop etc.
It's still marked as the last thing to do on the island (Crooked Island) before it gets the golden icon, and while I'm only ~25% into the game, it kinda annoys me that this might keep me stuck on 99% if I ever decide to chase completeness...

Is this a known thing / does it have known solutions?

Your screenshots and funny captions have worn me down, I'm going to give it another go. I am keen this time on letting go of the compulsion to perfect a run. I have since come to the conclusion that XCOM will either drive me mad or cure me of perfectionist tendencies XD. Save-scumming was really hardcore for me with that game. By a mission's end I'd have like, 20+ new save files. Embarrassing. I guess I'll have to keep reminding myself "losing is okay; let go."

\o/

A perfect run?! :eek: I still make stupid mistakes/bad choices despite the number of hours I've played it. I think you are wise to re-frame how you look at the game as putting pressure on yourself for a perfect run is just setting yourself up for disappointment. The game is designed to make a perfect run all but impossible I feel, even on the easiest difficulty setting for someone who knows the game inside and out.

Early game is by far the hardest part of the game. It's a constant challenge to juggle everything so that you are not borking your run. Not only do you have to manage the base and your resources but you have to nurture your soldier boys and girls until they are a bit more resilient. I've had a run where the base/resource management went wonderfully but my soldiers were so decimated/low level it made progress essentially impossible. One has to juggle both aspects and be flexible enough to change plans according to how the game plays out. It's possible to use an overall strategy in multiple playthroughs but not every playthrough plays out exactly the same so thinking on your feet is required.

However, this is all moot if the essential gameplay is not satisfying. For me it really is; I love the way the game rewards careful, methodical play, focusing not only on the short term but the long term too. My advice would be to try to enjoy the moment; play it as a journey game rather than a destination game, if you know what I mean. Perhaps play it at an easier difficulty level? My first playthrough was on Easy and that gave me all I could handle as I didn't know what the hell I was doing and apart from Advance Wars had never really played this type of game before. I would recommend only save scumming to compensate for game bugs/glitches that bork a mission but as long as you play and enjoy it, knock yourself out. Feel free to PM me if you have any particular questions about the game you think I might be able to help with :).

hohoXD123

Pretty sure these haven't been used.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

ULTIONUS: A TALE OF PETTY REVENGE -- MB-4ECED9FB7BFEDD63
REDSHIRT -- MB-F15F6DDBD5A32D49

t1396208062z1.png

Anteater

The Copperhead sequence in arkham origins was pretty cool, pretty fun game so far, and Troy Baker did a wonderful job with the voice acting.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, watersliding a ragdoll goat down a hill is the *least* of the insanity that awaits you in Goat Simulator.
Man, I really want this game, but I'm not sure I'll enjoy it enough to justify spending $10 on it. Does it get boring fast, or is there enough content to last for a while?

Diedac

Good luck

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Ethan: Meteor Hunter -- MB-9FC0B400298D25CB - Taken by PandaPandaPanda. 12 entrants total.
PixelJunk Monsters Ultimate -- MB-680E7BA4609BEBC9 - Taken by aku:jiki. 15 entrants total.

t1396209096z1.png

Please don't be like that, Stump. When someone says it's a "completely different type of game" and "it feels different" while giving me reference to a game I've never played, I had to draw a conclusion.

I think I'll give it a pass this time, maybe wait until next sale, but I did pick up Anniversary because I hadn't played it yet and liked Legend. Thanks for the help, though.

There are a few sections that are open for some light platforming and exploration and there are many sections that are extremely linear, filled with scripted events, quick time events and copious amounts of cinematics. There aren't many tombs to speak, most optional "secret" tombs (the game painfully informs you when you're near one) are one room puzzles with a generic reward cutscene of Lara opening a chest to retrieve some knick knack. The game is also filled with pointless knick knacks to collect in the middle of shooting dudes.

The story doesn't start off with wacky supernatural bullshit, it doesn't get all Big Trouble in Little China until the very end. For the majority of the game they kind of strive for this gritty, naturalistic experience. The cutscenes are constantly showing you how inexperienced and vulnerable Lara is, impaling her, beating her, upending her, making her fall from great heights. It kind of gets predictable after a while and the amount of punishment she suffers is almost comical and makes her look super human. All the while you mow down hundreds of dudes in the actual gameplay bits, so there's a weird juxtaposition between the story they're trying to tell in the cutscenes and what you do when you play. If you've played any modern third person shooter you have a pretty solid idea of what that gameplay is like, lots of waist high square and rectangular things to hide behind and shoot from. There's a pointless experience system with skillls to unlock because hey, modern game design bullet points getting checked off. There's scrap to farm for crafting weapons upgrades because that's a thing.

It's not bad if you walk in expecting a generic, cinematic third person shooter, like the many you may have played in the last five years, it just doesn't exactly feel like a proper Tomb Raider.

MRORANGE

This isn't going to work if I only get 3 replies :p

iZGnhxF8VaR58.png

User recommendations for upcoming games in April - How to submit

Know about a game that is coming out next month on Steam? Then tell us by posting in the steam thread on why it deserves to be on Gaf's radar, each month the games with the the best reviews will put on the OT.
We are doing this for the first time, so don't worry if it's not fantastic, as long as it's 50-100 words we should be good.

PM the post you want to submit so I know.

t1396222200z0.png

Ouch, 33%, probably not what some were hoping. Personally, I paid £20 at launch though and really enjoyed the game. It might not be be the same Thief of old, but it's a great first person adventure stealth game.

Turfster

Ouch, 33%, probably not what some were hoping. Personally, I paid £20 at launch though and really enjoyed the game. It might not be be the same Thief of old, but it's a great first person adventure stealth game.

dontbelievehislies.jpg

It's a steaming pile of mammoth shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom