• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys... this is going to be huge

rLjAvJa.png

heh heh heh....$0.69...

is that the client?

holy shit

mexican-soccer-coach-2.gif

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Dude. DUDE. WHAT. Is this just a mock up of the real deal?

This is the real deal. Alt+PrtScn, paste into paint (then edited out friends for privacy reasons) then uploaded to web.

I am currently working on making more and more features work with the client.

Accoun

there is a local nginx reverse proxy running that intercepts the Steam web traffic and injects the appropriate javascript. It's not just working on the client, but in any browser, including internet explorer.

It's basically a local man-in-the-middle attack. Except the "man" is you.

Ew. Is that even safe, or does Valve don't care/can't detect on their side whether you do something like that?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So for this to work do you need to install something in the Steam folder or is it just the same as the extension ?

There will be a separate installer you'll need to run to make this work. In the beginning, the installer will probably only work with Windows, then branch off from there.

Ew. Is that even safe, or does Valve don't care/can't detect on their side whether you do something like that?

AFAIK, Valve can't detect this on their end. The request is still coming straight from your PC, and only the return request is being altered.

Nzyme32

This is the real deal. Alt+PrtScn, paste into paint (then edited out friends for privacy reasons) then uploaded to web.

Saint!

But jshackles I beseech thee, if Valve were to update or alter the client, would you theoretically be able to still do this?

Man I am all in!

Accoun

Saint!

But jshackles I beseech thee, if Valve were to update or alter the client, would you theoretically be able to still do this?

Man I am all in!

It's not in the client (if I understand correctly), it alters the content when it enters your PC, before it even gets to the browser/client.

jshackles

Saint!

Man I am all in!

Any changes to the client shouldn't affect this. Since this works with any browser (and Steam is just a browser) it will work*
assuming Valve doesn't move away from a web-based store for the client.

People use the client to browse the store? The more you know...

You'd be surprised - it's the number one question I've heard since I made Enhanced Steam last year. Apparently, people don't trust their web browser enough to give it their Steam password.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

9e58c966f4387fecaee23p7a2z.gif

ok thats enough gifs from me for today lol

Tecl0n

Damn it. My psu and gpu got fried. I only had enough money for a new power supply. What runs on HD 3000? I'm guessing Super Hexagon and Spelunky work. Maybe Don't Starve? And i got MGR on the sale :(

Did you try this? You can't run the game directly from steam, but it works from a desktop shortcut.

Not yet but if the situation doesn't improve I'll have to, I shouldn't have to ask for workarounds to launch a modern game because of a developers incompetence though. Mass Effect refuses to load on my rig and I've sucked it up as it's not recent but Max Payne 3 is though.

Now that we are really talking about the client here....Why is it so slow? The web version is very fast, but the client is so slow.

jshackles

Now that we are really talking about the client here....Why is it so slow? The web version is very fast, but the client is so slow.

Steam's web components (based on Webkit) are very
VERY
outdated. Their website is snappy and fast, but it all depends on the rendering engine.

It's like... the difference between IE6 and Firefox. You can load the same webpage in either browser, but Firefox is going to render it faster because it's well optimized to do so.

he got hired by the garry

If only

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Why would Valve build in a competitor price comparison system into their own client?

Ezra2680

Just finished off Blood of the Werewolf and Castle of Illusion. Werewolf is alright. Not a bad little game but man..getting knocked around when getting hit drove me nuts in the later levels.

Castle of Illusion is just a sweet and charming remake. Its a remake done right. Looks and sounds great, Mickey looks great and I just had a smile on my face when playing it. If you are a fan of the original Genesis game then by all means by the remake. You won't be disappointed.

I had fun with castle of illusion, but I failed a few times on the last boss and found the worst thing about that game. You can't skip cut scenes.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why would Valve build in a competitor price comparison system into their own client?

they wouldnt, which is what many people dont seem to realise :) Shakcles just found a way to put the ES stuff on the client somehow

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom