• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You guys really think Valve wants to advertise cheaper prices from 3rd party sellers?

they wouldnt, which is what many people dont seem to realise :) Shakcles just found a way to put the ES stuff on the client somehow

Exactly. That's why the job theory doesn't work. Still, in client ES is awesome!

Vazduh

Sorry if this was already posted.
Nuuvem has sale, 2 games for 12.50$. Games are:
  • Battlefield 3
  • Bioshock: Infinite
  • Bulletstorm
  • Castle of Illusion
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition
  • Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  • Dragon Age: Origins– Ultimate Edition
  • FIFA 13
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Syndicate

Grief.exe

Steam's web components (based on Webkit) are very
VERY
outdated. Their website is snappy and fast, but it all depends on the rendering engine.

It's like... the difference between IE6 and Firefox. You can load the same webpage in either browser, but Firefox is going to render it faster because it's well optimized to do so.

Which is why they should fucking hire you, bring that shit up to date.

You do this right now as a hobby, you would slot perfectly into their management style.

An-Det

Damn this thread moves fast, even without a sale. Already hints at ES being implemented into the main client and the Fallout news too, and it's only been a few hours.

Question, for giveaways that have the "5 posts in this or the last thread" clause, is it counting the last 2013 thread or the last sale thread?

I think it is about time I checked out ES.

It's pretty fantastic. I dont mind the actual steam client, but for everything related to the store ES puts it to shame.

there is a local nginx reverse proxy running that intercepts the Steam web traffic and injects the appropriate javascript. It's not just working on the client, but in any browser, including internet explorer.

It's basically a local man-in-the-middle attack. Except the "man" is you.

So to install this you'd need to run a script that starts up an nginx server right (or start it up yourself)?

You do this right now as a hobby, you would slot perfectly into their management style.

Yes, their in client browser sucks ass and is slow as balls.

:O With this and adding custom wallet amounts I might have to start using ES! Not that you weren't doing fantastic work otherwise, I'm just not the kind of user that needs more than the unenhanced basics already offered.

Lies. Everyone could use *something* that jshackles has added. :p

Gamerloid

there is a local nginx reverse proxy running that intercepts the Steam web traffic and injects the appropriate javascript. It's not just working on the client, but in any browser, including internet explorer.

It's basically a local man-in-the-middle attack. Except the "man" is you.

Can I put ES on Safari for iOS then?

I really doubt they don't know their client is very slow. For what reason they haven't brought up to date? That's something we can't possibly know.

Grief.exe

Sorry if this was already posted.
Nuuvem has sale, 2 games for 12.50$. Games are:
  • Battlefield 3
  • Bioshock: Infinite
  • Bulletstorm
  • Castle of Illusion
  • Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Ultimate Edition
  • Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
  • Dragon Age: Origins– Ultimate Edition
  • FIFA 13
  • Mass Effect 2
  • Syndicate

Be careful, the majority of those won't activate on Steam

fbRfqDS.png

I really doubt they don't know their client is very slow. For what reason they haven't brought up to date? That's something we can't possibly know.

People only work on things they want to work on, fixing the client is probably very tedious work.

Ezra2680

:O With this and adding custom wallet amounts I might have to start using ES! Not that you weren't doing fantastic work otherwise, I'm just not the kind of user that needs more than the unenhanced basics already offered.

This is a thing? Never knew that was possible.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
off to bed im knackered, will dream of Indigo Prophecy returning

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

I hope that someone at Valve also gets this.

So to install this you'd need to run a script that starts up an nginx server right (or start it up yourself)?

Yes you'll have to launch the reverse proxy to be able to see the changes. I'm planning on rolling this all together into a single Windows executable (possibly running as a service) with an Enhanced Steam logo system tray icon you can use to interact with it (restart service, check status, etc).

There is still a lot of work that needs to be done, but hopefully I'll have enough put together so that those technically minded people who would like to try it will get a chance to.

Can I put ES on Safari for iOS then?

That will be a whole lot trickier... Given Apple's closed iOS architecture I doubt it will ever be possible.

Game-changing stuff - this is wonderful! Top-notch work, jshack, you're a marvel. <3

I've often (?) meant to ask: does Valve (still?) use WebKit for the client browser?

Thanks! Yes, Steam still uses Webkit. I believe they switched over from the IE rendering engine in 2009 and haven't much updated it since.

This is a thing? Never knew that was possible.

It's currently possible in Enhanced Steam for Chrome (5.6 or higher) but the minimum wallet amount still applies.

I hope that someone at Valve also gets this.

Yes you'll have to launch the reverse proxy to be able to see the changes. I'm planning on rolling this all together into a single Windows executable (possibly running as a service) with an Enhanced Steam logo system tray icon you can use to interact with it (restart service, check status, etc).

There is still a lot of work that needs to be done, but hopefully I'll have enough put together so that those technically minded people who would like to try it will get a chance to.

That will be a whole lot trickier... Given Apple's closed iOS architecture I doubt it will ever be possible.

Is it on Github? I could totally send in some pull requests for a Mac/Linux version.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Is it on Github? I could totally send in some pull requests for a Mac/Linux version.

All that's available right now are conf files for the proxy engine. Technically, this will work on Mac and Linux versions of nginx. A Windows installer / application will be made but work on that hasn't even started.

Khronico

Seriously, Enhanced Steam is miles better that actual Steam. Why doesn't valve just hire jshackles? He does a better job than THEM.

Accoun

Well, there is jailbreak (unless it's something with the system itself), but even with that I doubt there would be a nginx port for iOS. ;-/

I guess you probably could make a a server between the internet connection itself and the phone (?) for dat comfy bed purchasing, but on mobile network or outside your home it wouldn't work.

All that's available right now are conf files for the proxy engine. Technically, this will work on Mac and Linux versions of nginx. A Windows installer / application will be made but work on that hasn't even started.

Yep yep. We'll I'm excited to see where this goes!

can you guys stop DDOSing steam? Not cool.
I need to see my game count.

Wait, they are STILL attacking it? Is this the payback for making the cards go boom today? Or another one of those "for the lulz" things?

Ugh, I guess there won't be any Metal Gear Rising pre-load today...

Turfster

Ah, we're over here now. Good.

I see Groupees adjusted their holiday helpings bonus to something more attainable. Less than 300 bundles to go!

are those the final prices? because nothing there is worth the price for me, even with $5 off.

Wow, so I probably have 15 useless vouchers.
If they stacked, I'd take BF4 for free and peace out... but as it stands, even with $5 off, it's all more expensive than things just were in the Steam sale... if those are the final prices, seems like a bust to me.

jshackles

Defense Technica is the best choice of Steam games at the moment, $2.49 after coupon.

Backlogger

No. Neither the prices nor the games list is final.
There will be more games added, and the prices might rise =p

That would be nice (the more games part). I was hoping for more variety, but I'd be happy with the XCOM Collection for 5 bucks if nothing else.

Ah, we're over here now. Good.

I see Groupees adjusted their holiday helpings bonus to something more attainable. Less than 300 bundles to go!

One game minimum going on right now too. I think I'll wait and see what the bonuses are, there's really nothing that interesting to me in this bundle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom