• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jawmuncher

For anyone interested (and this task should not be taken lightly) here is a link to the installation instructions, configuration files, and script files needed to make Enhanced Steam work in the client.

https://github.com/jshackles/ES-Standalone

I'll try to answer any questions as best I can, but please keep in mind this should be considered like pre-Alpha.

I just about want to take the plunge myself even if it's considered as pre-alpha.
ES features in the steam client is just far too great,

Backlogger

$5 for the XCOM Collection is a good price. Will there be any other Steam games added?

Sounds like they add games throughout the month. I will probably grab this one anyway because I have been wanting it and am happy with the price (assuming the current price holds until tomorrow). And I think I have 3 total credits to use

Wow, I won Blackguards! Thank you so much, Grindamasta! This looked interesting - I'm itching to try it out when I get a free weekend.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just about want to take the plunge myself even if it's considered as pre-alpha.
ES features in the steam client is just far too great,

Do it! The more people that can test, the better!

It does involve changing your system hosts file. In the event that you have issues, you can revert that file and Steam will be back to it's boring self.

oipic

Thanks Honorless
3AQmK.gif

Ooh, so the cat's out of the bag, we have Honorless to thank for that awesome anonymous giveaway (and its even more wonderful clues)? Nice one - thanks!

Can we please have an answer sheet? Would love to know what was what, and how many entered each. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I doubt that it's a higher number than consoles, but yeah maybe my frame of reference is off as it's a two-year-old game and I'm used to playing big multiplayer games. It's just weird that hitting 10,000 concurrent is noteworthy, is that an all-time high on Steam?
For comparison Killzone Shadowfall has been averaging between 1-2000 concurrent players in the time since launch. It is like 1 of three multiplayer games total on a sold out console

Turfster

Never pre-loaded a game before does it work the same as downloading a game normally just you cant play it till release?

Files will be encrypted and some important game files like the executable will be missing until the actual day of release, where it will decode the files it downloaded already.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
For comparison Killzone Shadowfall has been averaging between 1-2000 concurrent players in the time since launch. It is like 1 of three multiplayer games total on a sold out console

No it hasn't. It's been around 4-5k, 7k at peak. Still bad numbers.

DukeBobby

Just finished Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1.

Semaphore, for the love of God, stop. Don't release another episode. Jesus fucking Christ, i don't even know where to begin...

denx

Ooh, so the cat's out of the bag, we have Honorless to thank for that awesome anonymous giveaway (and its even more wonderful clues)? Nice one - thanks!

Can we please have an answer sheet? Would love to know what was what, and how many entered each. :)

Yes please. ModBot didn't update the raffle post.

Turfster

Just finished Unearthed: Trail of Ibn Battuta - Episode 1.

Semaphore, for the love of God, stop. Don't release another episode. Jesus fucking Christ, i don't even know where to begin...

Would you say it's worse than Bad Rats?
Edit: Wait, it's 9 gigs?

zhorkat

For anyone interested (and this task should not be taken lightly) here is a link to the installation instructions, configuration files, and script files needed to make Enhanced Steam work in the client.

https://github.com/jshackles/ES-Standalone

I'll try to answer any questions as best I can, but please keep in mind this should be considered like pre-Alpha.

This is awesome. I think I might actually try this out on my laptop over the weekend.

Is there any one specific reason why the game has been gaining momentum lately? Or is it just the constant patching and fixing, not giving up on the game (+the sales)? I remember back when it was released when the game actually lost a third of its rather small playerbase within a month and also remained below 20k average for quite a while.

I have yet to play, but around summer Valve introduced crates, weapon skins to it which got lo of new players in, then afterwards came frequent updates which did a lo for the competitive scene, then there was Dreamhack featuring the biggest CS event to date iirc.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
This is awesome. I think I might actually try this out on my laptop over the weekend.

Awesome. I'm sure I'll be making updates and changes to it as time goes on. Unlike the browser counterpart, there isn't currently a way to automatically update this version (yet).

For anyone installing, keep an eye out and make sure you have the latest files.

bonesquad

I won the key for "Be! Aggressive! B-E Aggressive!", and it turned out to be... Humble Weekly: Cipher Prime! Which after watching the video for Intake should have been obvious:) I already had Spice, but really liked it. So these other games could be cool (but I can't seem to log into Humble right now to claim it:(

Caerith

The Mars Polar Lander was launched 15 years ago today. Here are some games about people in space.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Space Marine -- MB-C452F149D318FC5C - Taken by AsylumX. 26 entrants total.
Space Asshole -- MB-683B4BA0E74DDC20 - Taken by Nuborn. 11 entrants total.

Holy shit you guys, Spelunky. There is nothing else.

I'm going to have to do a giveaway later, because everyone needs to play it. All the time.

Excuse me while I go play some more Spelunky.

mannerbot

I'm going to have to do a giveaway later, because everyone needs to play it. All the time.

Good man. :) Add me on Steam (info in profile), my friends list could always use more Spelunky junkies!

Yeah! I'm curious as hell as well :)

kulapik

So, I have 5 euros burning on my Steam Wallet, so I wondered I would do a giveaway. But because I don't know what to giveaway, I'll let you decide!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/19C...xrLoldqfl-i4U/viewform#start=publishanalytics

Introduce there your GAF username and the game you would want. If I can get it cheaper than 5€, I'll make a giveaway for it. It doesn't have to be on the Steam Store, I can trade keys for it so from russian traders or thanks to other websites might be cheaper.

I'll let this form 24 hours so y'all can answer it, and I'll try to do reminders.

decaf

The Walking Dead question...

Can I play through Season 2 choosing the outcome of Season 1 without playing it? Already played S1 on 360 and don't want to go through the story the same route again, but do want to continue S2 where I left off with S1 on 360...

Can I play through Season 2 choosing the outcome of Season 1 without playing it? Already played S1 on 360 and don't want to go through the story the same route again, but do want to continue S2 where I left off with S1 on 360...

You can only have random choices.

(very general spoiler about how important your season 1 choices are in episode 1)
Basically irrelevant.
(very general spoiler about how important your 400 days choices are in episode 1)
Non-existent.

Nope, Telltale totally dropped the ball in this regard. You have to have a save file from the PC version, or it'll just randomly generate decisions for you. I was in the same situation as you, and I'll say it's definitely worth it to replay Season 1 on PC. Still an excellent game regardless, and it's a far better experience on PC regardless.

DukeBobby

Oh god, I need details.

Quick rundown:

+ It's about an hour long

- It's about an hour long
- Terrible graphics
- Terrible animations
- Horrendous voice acting and dialogue
- Terrible controls
- Terrible camera
- Terrible shooting mechanics
- Buggy as fuck
- Forced walking section that lasts for about 10 minutes
- The worst and most pointless driving section ever
- The worst and most pointless on-rails shooting section ever
- There's an episode 2 planned

Honestly, it's probably the worst game I've ever played.

Uga

I have no idea why I didn't get it during the sale(s)... Somehow slipped my mind.

Newblade

I'll honor your suggestion, Honorless.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Newblade:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Humble Daedalic Bundle -- MB-58161E4610CDA457 - Taken by NotSelf. 8 entrants total.

t1388793715z1.png

A hearty thank you to Diedac for Clickr! Bonus- it didn't take too long to download. SO many games... I feel like a kid who ate too much candy after Halloween!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom