• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSmalls84

Is the Deus Ex: HR DC upgrade promo over? I own the main game as well as the Missing Link but it shows up as $20 when I add it to cart.

neoism

well lol I forgot the sale ended til just now... shame it ended for me early.... my hhd is gone :*( but bought ff14 :/

Kid Icraus :eek:
and fft ios :O
I also made 2 dolla off cards lol

oipic

By request:

Great stuff - thank you, honorless, for the giveaways (obviously!), and for the clever meta-game to go with them. That was fun.

In hindsight, I'm staggered I (we?) didn't guess the 'Chocoholics, Beware' one, given all the talk of LLTQ in recent times.

Is the Deus Ex: HR DC upgrade promo over? I own the main game as well as the Missing Link but it shows up as $20 when I add it to cart.
I assume this is another price error since they removed the loyalty discount for the sales, it'll probably come back once someone over there remembers.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
The Mars Polar Lander was launched 15 years ago today. Here are some games about people in space.

Makes me want to recreate it in Kerbal Space Program. Shame I'm absolute rubbish at it and have never left the launch pad. I would be much better at a sailing or submarine game, that engineering I can easily grasp.

By request:

~game giveaway riddles~

Since it was difficult to tell which games are which, I wanted to make sure people knew it was okay to pass the gift along if they got something they knew they didn't want or already had—and that no, none of the games were Bad Rats.

Thanks for playing and thanks for being good sports, everyone. :)

Haha, good fun those. I salute your cleverness in naming them.

jwtsonga

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Spelunky -- MB-AFA55C65BBDAD550
header.jpg

Brought to you in part by mannerbot! Also, seriously. This game. It's the only videogame.

great giveaway, the game sounds amazing (and hard)

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Can you even still buy that on steam anymore? I remember playing the demo on my 360 back in the day and found it really poor
Yup, in fact, it was only added on Steam two months ago during the Halloween Sale.

Trust me, there is no way for a demo the capture this game. The game literally tries to be EVERYTHING. One level it'll be a linear wall-climbing cinematic fest, like Uncharted except this was before Uncharted. Next, you'll be in an open world exploring New York park and burning roots to the ground. Then you'll be driving a taxi can that controls like butter through an Earthquake. Then suddenly the game is a puzzle-adventure game as you wrap your head around how to solve scenarios and progress. Then it goes all action-horror and you take on loads of enemies with a buttliad of ammo. Then it goes survival-horror with limited supplies and fixed camera angle. Then suddenly it's surreal platforming like American McGee's Alice with floating checkered platforms and strange scenery. Now it wants to be a first-person exploration game with drama and story. But wait, suddenly got to do a CPR QTE.

It's varied, to say the least.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Jshackles I am super late in saying this bit awesome work on getting ES into the Steam client! I know it's early days yet but it's still an awesome achievement, well done!

Slyjss

I feel a bit stupid asking this: how do you apply the 5 $ discount in the Amazon Editor's Choice?. I tried to buy XCOM Collection thinking it would drop from 10 to 5 dollars, but I proceed to checkout and it's still 10 $.

On a side note: it's amazing what jshackles is doing with Enhanced Steam. Gaben, please hire him.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I feel a bit stupid asking this: how do you apply the 5 $ discount in the Amazon Editor's Choice?. I tried to buy XCOM Collection thinking it would drop from 10 to 5 dollars, but I proceed to checkout and it's still 10 $.

On a side note: it's amazing what jshackles is doing with Enhanced Steam. Gaben, please hire him.
Coupons don't apply until tomorrow.

Turfster

They're not live yet.
Edit: Dusked.

Caerith

https://twitter.com/chFtheCat and his girlfriend https://twitter.com/LARCENY_ - AKA the High School Girls as I call them

created

https://twitter.com/DDoSDildo

They have hit Steam again.
Ah, script kiddies.

Ahh, I totally should've known that Chocoholics was LLTQ!!!! Drat. Thanks for being so generous as always.
I should have guessed before I entered. My love of chocolates was my downfall (again).

Makes me want to recreate it in Kerbal Space Program. Shame I'm absolute rubbish at it and have never left the launch pad. I would be much better at a sailing or submarine game, that engineering I can easily grasp.
This is the pinnacle of Kerbal engineering.

Anyone have this problem? Not sure what happened but I'm guessing it's because of the recent Steam updates? When I install games onto Steam, I install them onto two different drives - my primary drive, which is my SSD and because I've just about maxed out my SSD, I have the majority of my games installed on my other drive, which is just a regular mechanical drive.

So, upon loading up Steam today, all my games that are on my mechanical drive show up as not being installed, even though they're all on my hard drive. Anyone know how to fix this?

Just curious what everybody's favorite game they bought off the sale,(assuming you even played your games) mine would have to be brothers so far, haven't dived into spelunky yet

MRORANGE

You peeps okay if I do 5 minute interval posts where I count down the top 10 games an hour before the specified time?

Would give people time to reflect/celebrate/complain about the scoring.

Turfster

Anyone have this problem? Not sure what happened but I'm guessing it's because of the recent Steam updates? When I install games onto Steam, I install them onto two different drives - my primary drive, which is my SSD and because I've just about maxed out my SSD, I have the majority of my games installed on my other drive, which is just a regular mechanical drive.

So, upon loading up Steam today, all my games that are on my mechanical drive show up as not being installed, even though they're all on my hard drive. Anyone know how to fix this?

Have you tried turning it off and on again? ;)
(As in, steam)
If that doesn't work, try downloading something to the drive, usually Steam discovers the directory then.

mannerbot

Just curious what everybody's favorite game they bought off the sale,(assuming you even played your games) mine would have to be brothers so far, haven't dived into spelunky yet

Haven't touched anything yet since I'm playing through Dark Souls still (which I bought last year lol), but I'd bet that my favorite game that I got from this sale is gonna wind up being Desktop Dungeons.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
You peeps okay if I do 5 minute interval posts where I count down the top 10 games an hour before the specified time?

Sounds cool, especially since Steam is dead. It's not like we're doing anything else...

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
Ahh, I totally should've known that Chocoholics was LLTQ!!!! Drat. Thanks for being so generous as always.
If you'd like it, it's yours whenever Steam's back up.

That one is actually really clever, should have been obvious if you are in the thread enough.
Normally the terms "roguelike" and "metroidvania" getting applied to everything under the sun even in a joking context gets pretty old...but the "rougelike" twist for Papers, Please had me straight cackling. Bad puns are my kryptonite. I don't remember who came up with that (probably going to go look it up now) but I tip my hat to you.

French guy, French game :)

Swing Swing's previous game, Block That Matter, is really good (but too hard for me, I'm not so much into puzzle games), so I should give Tetrobot a try (also because, me too, I'm French).
I still haven't been able to finish Blocks that Matter myself despite 100% completing Tetrobot. There are some good ideas in BtM, but so much of it is lackluster that I just get bored/tired of it and want to play a different puzzle game. Tetrobot is like Swing Swing sat down, figured out the best parts of BtM and concentrated on them, cutting out a lot of the (IMO) bad design decisions that were made previously. It isn't perfect (what is?) but I think it's a much, much stronger game than its predecessor. So I definitely encourage you (and anyone else) to try it.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

I'm quite okay with that. Give us a chance to discuss it a bit and focusing on the good before moving.

Natty1

Not sure if this will work 100% but better to give it away than to hold onto it like some kind of hoarder (which I am).

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alpha Protocol -- MB-A382369587833B29 - Taken by rainking187. 10 entrants total.

t1388796864z1.png

Sounds fine, better for discussing each than dropping the whole list at once.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? ;)
(As in, steam)
If that doesn't work, try downloading something to the drive, usually Steam discovers the directory then.

Yeah, I've rebooted the system and tried installing the games to the same folder/directory, and still nothing. When I try and point the game to the folder/directory where the game is on the drive, it gives me error saying folder must be empty. I hope I don't need to redownload all these games again.... :(

oipic

What do these guys have against Steam???? I can understand hitting MS or EA, but Valve?

Yeah, doesn't make a lot of sense, Valve isn't a major 'corporation' as such, and not the typical target for such shenanigans, but perhaps it has more to do with the visibility of the hit, given Steam's huge user base.

The sad thing is that some of these script kiddy keyboard warriors might have some real skill, knowledge and talent, if it were used for good and not evil. Perhaps.

Sajjaja

Not sure if this will work 100% but better to give it away than to hold onto it like some kind of hoarder (which I am).

Oh I'd enter this, but I have the retail and I want someone without the game to play it. Though I'd like it on Steam.

Guys play it, pls.

Turfster

Yeah, I've rebooted the system and tried installing the games to the same folder/directory, and still nothing. When I try and point the game to the folder/directory where the game is on the drive, it gives me error saying folder must be empty. I hope I don't need to redownload all these games again.... :(

Hm...
You can try the old rename the .blob to .whatever trick and starting steam after that.
Edit: Or go to Settings/Downloads and click the content libraries button and re-add the directory yourself. Totally forgot they added that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom