• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Volimar

quagmires_big_arm.jpg

98ULkNA.gif

So looking at the upcoming games I spotted The Banner Saga. is out very soon. I hadn't heard of it but it seems very similar to Fire Emblem which should mean it will be great. Anyone else hyped for it? The art looks fantastic.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
So looking at the upcoming games I spotted The Banner Saga. is out very soon. I hadn't heard of it but it seems very similar to Fire Emblem which should mean it will be great. Anyone else hyped for it? The art looks fantastic.

Also looking forward to it. For those that don't know, they also have a F2P game that uses the same art style and whatnot that looks very similar gameplay wise:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219340/

Might be worth checking out if you're on the fence.

Volimar

Someone in this very thread suggested it to me a few hours ago. Kind of into it. But I don't know how I feel about the cartoony battle animations.

nexen

Turn based strategy with great art. Done by ex Star Wars the Old Republic folks down in Austin, TX. Had my eye on it for a while now.
There is a F2P multiplayer version on steam already.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219340/

Never thought I'd read the words "lesbian BDSM" on the Steam thread. Wow, I don't know what to expect anymore.

Here, have a related song now that you're talking about the topic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BmkBroiw1s

There's a first time for everything.

Moving on, some keys I wanted to give away:

ModBot said:
Instructions for crazyrabbits:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 14 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Joe Danger 2 -- MB-D4165AB6F3FB3C6A - Taken by Benedict. 15 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Alien With A Magnet (Desura) -- MB-9D4BF9C21B888F64
Reus -- MB-A3A35DF8EE606F6E - Taken by jmizzal. 26 entrants total.
Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-561131D809A0DCA1 - Taken by nicjac. 24 entrants total.
Uprising 44 (Desura) -- MB-790B962583A883F8 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 2 entrants total.
Roboblitz -- MB-A730BF057F598D1A - Taken by ussjtrunks. 10 entrants total.
Sacraboar -- MB-53693EBC2A73B890 - Taken by caffeinedreamer. 4 entrants total.
Skyward Collapse -- MB-D287C0AE0E2039FA - Taken by Myshkin. 11 entrants total.
Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-B2A38264F0883231 - Taken by ohblahitsme. 2 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Dark Scavenger (Desura) -- MB-3CAFB77103EC2C35 - Taken by The_Super_Inframan. 1 entrants total.
Puzzler World -- MB-25052AF797F8A2AB - Taken by Firehead. 6 entrants total.
Trine -- MB-E1AC99B6CE650923 - Taken by schuey7. 6 entrants total.
InMomentum -- MB-6D56ED81C71F076A - Taken by nightstorm. 8 entrants total.
Papo & Yo -- MB-A68A76B2464965E3 - Taken by Random Painted HIghway. 5 entrants total.

t1389309133z1.png

Tenrius

The general rule is that you don't do preloads on Steam, unless you're on a 56K connection or something. It's likely that you'll spend more time decrypting the game that it would take if you just downloaded it upon release. I remember learning it the hard way with Skyrim.

Grief.exe

Just as a testament to this community, literally 75% of my game installs on Steam right now are gifts.
I rarely enter modbot giveaways either, the exception was Cheddahz's Starbound giveaway as that is a very interesting game. The other 9 gifts right now were just straight given to me by this awesome community.

Thanks so much for all of the love guys, I really appreciate it. I write down each and every gift I get and I will pay it forward down the line.

Hawkie

Really looking forward to this one, shame I missed it on the KS. Will be doing a pre-order giveaway for it sometime over the weekend.

I was half worried MGR was going to be an unoptimized mess, but my framerate seems to be holding steady at 60 fps with only small dips during chop-mode. Platinum didn't completely fuck it up-- good for them!

Grief.exe

I was half worried MGR was going to be an unoptimized mess, but my framerate seems to be holding steady at 60 fps with only small dips during chop-mode. Platinum didn't completely fuck it up-- good for them!

Its a pretty damn solid port actually. There are a few rough edges, but otherwise functions perfectly.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Its a pretty damn solid port actually. There are a few rough edges, but otherwise functions perfectly.

I'm half tempted to blow off work the rest of the day to go home and play. Good to hear that it's not a buggy mess.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
looking at that giveaway a few posts up, did they hand out steam keys for Uprising 44? is that even greenlit?

BigAT

Watching Patrick of Giant Bomb play Spelunky is really making me regret not double dipping on it during the winter sale.

Vecks

Yeah, Durante is a peach but I'm afraid it gives devs a free pass. Dark Souls remains mostly untouched despite it being an evergreen title on Steam because the backlash was quickly stifled by a fan's smart work.

I don't think Durante's fix is the reason it's untouched. I doubt they would've done anything regardless. There are plenty of games on steam that are plagued with issues that will never get fixed by an official patch.

C4rter

Amazons Editors Choice is so freaking awful. Only bought Marlow and Defense Technica. The other deals are insanely awful, even with that 5$ coupon.

The prices for Brothers, How to Survive and Marlow Briggs are quite good. So is the Ace Patrol Pack. But yeah, all the other stuff is beyond awful.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
So along the lines of messing with config files, but in a more advanced way?

I mean I'm really curious because his work is simply amazing.

Righto, I got off my lazy ass and actually searched for the source (which surprisingly didn't take long at all). Apparently, I read it in the Dark Souls thread that Durante himself opened in regards to the resolution fix. The part I was referring to was this:

Some other points
  • I did not do the entire work for this in 23 minutes. I developed an interception dll framework during this week to prepare for the job. I did the actual work to make the game render at higher res in that amount of time though -- based on the framework -- and spent a few more hours testing and adding the config file.

It suddenly sounds a lot less SkyNet like this, but I'll bet he's working on that behind the scenes. But still, since he could write the interception framework a week in advance, I'm betting it's something he can easily reuse/adapt for other games, which in turn means he can once again release the resolution fix quickly, since he'd just have to test it straight after the game releases.

All his fixes are secretly in part SkyNet modules he's carefully rolling out

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I really want a steam controller and that in house streaming asap, I am sick of waiting.

The_Monk

Just as a testament to this community, literally 75% of my game installs on Steam right now are gifts.
I rarely enter modbot giveaways either, the exception was Cheddahz's Starbound giveaway as that is a very interesting game. The other 9 gifts right now were just straight given to me by this awesome community.

Thanks so much for all of the love guys, I really appreciate it. I write down each and every gift I get and I will pay it forward down the line.

I'm just glad it went to a good home. There's several ways of gifting something in this fine Community. I believe that sometimes there are things better than one more steam game if someone already have so many of them. It feels good when you can help someone or when you can make a better day to someone in more ways than delivering a game. It's not the first time I decided to spend my own time by helping someone and it is known that the same was done for me when I was the one needing strength. I like to give what I can, via Modbot, PM's, Steam-chat or in a MS Paint Draw (hehehe). I also have given quite some games that I don't even have myself but it was the right thing to do.

It's just the very least I can do and I'll keep on doing because even if there's one random hate from one person, I know who are the right people who truly have a good hearth. And in a Community, that's all that matters. May never be any doubt for many of you that I am the person you can count for when you are in need.

Still bummed that I couldn't run MGRR, I guess I have to play my other 300 games

Oh well, I'll play it in glorious 4K 120fps when I get a new desktop machine

Zia

I don't think Durante's fix is the reason it's untouched. I doubt they would've done anything regardless. There are plenty of games on steam that are plagued with issues that will never get fixed by an official patch.

I can't think of another ultra-popular, contemporary title that's been left in as poor a state and, even if they never patched it, without Durante's work we would've seen players complaining very loudly and incessantly about the way it's been "handled." Again, I think the work is great but it's also done a lot to pacify players.

Grief.exe

Still bummed that I couldn't run MGRR, I guess I have to play my other 300 games

Oh well, I'll play it in glorious 4K 120fps when I get a new desktop machine

What problems were you running into? AA/AF is really unoptimized, I had to put it into windowed mode initially and then it jumped from 10 FPS to 60 even when I put it back into full screen.

From Steam forums

"Potato PC here.

Radeon HD 3650 512 DDR3, 4 gigs of DDR3 and Intel Pentium E2500 dualcore.

Running on 1280x720, shadows on low, blur disabled because who wants blur, zangeki and zantime on med-high, no AA or texture filtering and its running as good as it can"

Dr Dogg

It's pretty tight, even with slicing things up a plenty. Performance is pretty good all round and it's hardly using any GPU grunt. Fingers crossed what with Durante showing it wasn't something ridiculously complex a patch could be forthcoming later on to allow for high resolutions *crosses fingers*

Shame I get about 3 mins in then APPCRASH or Blue Screen. But that a problem my end and not with the game itself.

jshackles

Well, time to learn something new:

mmxW8ZX.png

Sorry Firefox users, might take longer than expected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom