• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
of all the DRM that bother people (with any game not just rising), always online was the one that always baffles me. But then again I honestly dont remember the last time my computer wasnt online :/

It's more the problems with their servers. That and it's an inconvenience for paying customers.

Turfster

I suspect the former. I've seen too many anime with ridiculous and sometimes offensive material for me to believe that manu people in their media industries know that the phrase "tone it down" exists.

Well, I just watched some of the JP versions of cutscenes (slightly spoilery, obv) I've just "played" through, and fuck the English script and the VO. The Japanese script is much more subdued and has less stupid bullshit.
The fact that Raiden doesn't sound like a petulant 5 year old with a smoking problem also helps a lot =p

MRORANGE

Maybe to counter Family Sharing dual play with Offline Mode, which all of you motherfuckers abuse?

It could be removed later, when new sales aren't as crucial as on the first month after a game's release.

I always wanted to know the numbers on who uses family share and the statistics, haven't seen any stuff posted by Valve, unless it slipped under my nose.

Turfster

wait Rising has japanese voices? o_O

Sadly, no.
It has Japanese subtitles tho, for a much better script =p

Edit: Who do I know that has a PS3 copy of the Japanese MGR and a bluray drive...
Also, the gamedata\Movie dir is 21.3 gigs, for the cutscene events...

nexen

O15k9.png
those racists.

Nevermind, you guys are right. Outside SteamGAF is a terrifyingly awful place. That MGR:R DRM thread is a nightmare

of all the DRM that bother people (with any game not just rising), always online was the one that always baffles me. But then again I honestly dont remember the last time my computer wasnt online :/

It depends on how deep they go with it. Especially with Steam being so flaky lately, I don't want a whole bunch of CTDs and not be able to play because some shitwad decided to DDoS steam.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Lucky you. Last year I've been through a couple of months where my connection dropped for 15 minutes every two hours or so. Then it'd be off during the night. Then it would work well for a couple of days, only to be completely dead for the next ones.

It's been working fine since then, but I wouldn't count on that. So yeah, always online is, for me, one of the worst DRM schemes ever, along with limited installs.

I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue. Always online requires two things to function, your internet and the servers on the other end.

Yes your internet might always be functional, but if the company on the other end drops off or shuts down the service, your game no longer works (the real issue).

People should be quite rightly bothered by purchasing games with an expiry date.

The_Monk

You just can't reason with some people. Something 'unconfirmed' happens and all of a sudden Konami is the devil reincarnate. smh

As some who like both console and PC gaming (but PC gaming is my platform of choice) I can see that many people are just missing proper information, above everything else. Add that with the option to just downplay everything with a negative tone, a random .gif or a "funny" reply and there it goes all the things you could hope for a proper discussion. Some people are just like that. Just focus on what matters. ;)

Faabulous

Welp, I definitely can't buy MGR now. At least until they fix it. If random disconnects yank you from the game, it will be unplayable on my connection, such is life on a 3rd world country.

Turfster

It got better though. Still, the game deserves better than the philistines on the first page.

True, it seems to have recovered, but man... That first page was rough.

Also, seems the "events" have the English VO muxed into the usm, so an undub of MGR would be 22 gigs... Sigh.

Always online DRM bothers me for the simple reason that it's stupid and shouldn't be there. It's only a source of problems for paying customers. Developers who implement it are developers who cares to little about the customers for me to want to give them any money. Any.

It's as simple as that.

Lets hope Konami cares enough to fix this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think you have a fundamental misunderstanding of the issue. Always online requires two things to function, your internet and the servers on the other end.

Yes your internet might always be functional, but if the company on the other end drops off or shuts down the service, your game no longer works (the real issue).

People should be quite rightly bothered by purchasing games with an expiry date.

youre right. Having Diablo 3 flashbacks now.

Tizoc

GAF I predict that this coming PAX 2014
Darkwing Duck Remastered will be announced

...hey a guy can dream ya know!

cicero

As some who like both console and PC gaming (but PC gaming is my platform of choice) I can see that many people are just missing proper information, above everything else. Add that with the option to just downplay everything with a negative tone, a random .gif or a "funny" reply and there it goes all the things you could hope for a proper discussion. Some people are just like that. Just focus on what matters. ;)

What matters?...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PQ6335puOc

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just tried the first VR mission of MGR, and it runs fine at 1920x1080 on my PC, with 2x AA and 4x AF. Hopefully the main game will run fine too, but I won't know until I try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom