• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dani_dc

Have there been any delisted games that have (had) achievements yet?

Edit: Deadpool is one...

London 2012 did as well.

I will never hope for Nintendo to fail!

As much as I'd like to see Nintendo games on Stema I agree with this

Nintendo might make it's mistakes, but it's still the type of company that takes interesting risks and tries to bring new ideas.
Plus who's to say what will happen to the quality of their games afterwards, say what you will about Nintendo, but they always release at least 1-2 games per generation that are among the best of their generations.

Hawkie

Re: The Banner Saga, they're having an AMA session currently, with Austin Wintory, over on Reddit for any that are interested.

Finally eliminated my black bar problem with MGRR. This game is so insanely over the top. Actually starting to pull down some A ranks in combat on normal difficulty.

maty

Good lord the memories... I still remember the absolutely epic race/battle against Wizpig!

Also, Banjo-Tooie had some bad framerate problems so I'd suggest the XBLA port if you have access to one. They also included the fabled Stop N Swap in the 360 versions. Perfect Dark also got a great XBLA port if you enjoyed that game.

Unfortunately an Xbox is out of the question for me since I have to import consoles I can only pick 1 or 2 at most and Nintendo/Sony take that spot.

I remember the Stop N Swap, always wondering if there was a way to get the keys and eggs. It was until a few years after beating the game that I discovered they were not accessible. Almost bought BT to see if the rumored mechanic to access those areas worked but I decided against it and got MM.

Never played Perfect Dark :(

This was my list of N64 games: Super Mario 64, Oot, MM, DKR, BK, DK64, Turok 1-2 and that was it. I rented or borrowed the rest.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They should port Conker to PC :D Xbox version still has surprisingly decent graphics in comparison to modern titles.

More Xbox games need to be ported in general, as development of an emulator has been basically stuck at the same point for years now.

Kaleinc

Banned
This should be working :)
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Red Faction Armageddon Path to War DLC -- MB-E4BE012EB866731D - Taken by JPizzle84. 1 entrants total.

t1389369299z1.png

Grief.exe

More Xbox games need to be ported in general, as development of an emulator has been basically stuck at the same point for years now.

Sega alone has such an amazing library stuck on that dead console

Shenmue II
Otogi I/II
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Jet Set Radio Future
Skies of Arkadia (Gamecube is easy to emulate though)

Turfster

Borderlands 2 sold a metric ton of copies on PC

Don't remind me.
Also, it didn't sink quite as low as Conker did, somehow.
(It was still execrable, tho)

Bundlestars store weekend deals
  • Kings Bounty 75% off
  • Spacechem 85% off
  • Alien Rage 75% off
  • Cannon Fodder 3 75% off
  • Skyward collapse 66% off
  • Skyberia 1 & 2 50% off
  • Impire 66% off (16 hours remaining)
  • King Arthur II 66% off
  • Dementium II HD 25% off

amdnv

Surprised I've never heard of this Realms of Arkania series until now. Looks like a Might and Magic or Wizardry style game.
The series is awesome. I'll buy all three games later tonight.
Exploration is done in a 3d environment, the fights take place on an isometric grid (turn-based).

The_Monk

Phew, finally arrived home my good GAFfers, not sure if I missed anything (please no more Desktop pictures) :p

Going to remove some installed games right now in order to focus on the ones I'm currently playing. I find that, the more installed games I have the less focus I get to finish them so I'll go back to the minimalist style I'm so fond of and proceed with my priority games.

FloatOn

yes all games must be so mature for them to be legitimate forms of entertainment. I'll continue to hang out in the comedy ghetto with saints row 4 and bulletstorm.

How would you react to Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie (and DK64) Steam releases?

I wouldn't care. I might bite on DK64 since I had it once and never quite finished it (Summer of 2001)... and that kinda bugs me. But I've never been into the Banjo games...

Personally, I'd love a port of the Killer Instinct games, but since MS is trying to win over people with the reboot on Xbone, that's more unlikely than the Banjo games for sure.

Finally eliminated my black bar problem with MGRR. This game is so insanely over the top. Actually starting to pull down some A ranks in combat on normal difficulty.

Nice!

It feels good to shake the rust off. I'm still having issues with the fact that I started on normal so I could knock out the collectibles in my first run and buy upgrades...so my parry damage isn't doing jack (ha. jack!) to enemies. When you play on revengeance, if you parry, it's pretty much QTE -> Execution, even on bosses. So I'll hit the parry and get excited and then the enemy doesn't even have the good sense to die. :|

Slowly adjusting though -- I went back and ran R00 and R01 again to pick up the missing collectibles from my "memory run". and Got about 90% S-ranks with the rest being A expect the Metal Gear Ray fight (stupid tail achievement)...

Brainsaw

Neo Member
I'd find it hard to outright recommend it, purely because I have no idea how much of it was nostalgia, but there's just so much freedom. You can create the best pizzas in the world, but it's more fun to sneak into a competing restaurant and bomb/bazooka/unleash rats into them. This review sums it up well:

http://www.gamespot.com/pizza-tycoon/user-reviews/2200-165476/

I'm with you on the Pizza Tycoon support. I haven't played it in ages, so the fondness might stem mostly from nostalgia, but back in the day it was an awesome game. I never really understood most mechanics though since I was fairly young at the time, but I definitely remember the part where you could use your pizza place as a front for weapons smuggling and outright blowing your competition away. There was a certain sport in trying to figure out which countries had the lowest and highest prices for items in order to maximize profit.

I also always made a habit of making pizza's that resembled something, like a face or a country or something. It might become the biggest selling pizza or outright flop, but sticking with a theme was somehow satisfying.

Speaking of which, I totally missed out on CSD sale :( I'm afraid that it'll be in the Amazon editor's choice if I buy now, so I must be strong and hold out until they're done. Still have way too many $5 credits waiting to be used...

morningbus

Sega alone has such an amazing library stuck on that dead console

Shenmue II
Otogi I/II
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Jet Set Radio Future
Skies of Arkadia (Gamecube is easy to emulate though)

Honestly, if we could get Sega's output (including Gunvalkyrie, which was a fun experiment), we wouldn't even really need an Xbox emulator anymore. Other than that, I'd kind of like Konami's Breakdown, but mainly because it was, again, a fun experimental game.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
How would you react to Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie (and DK64) Steam releases?
I'd probably run around the room, sneezing rainbows out of my ears.

Wouldn't be that hard to port the 360 "remakes", I think.

bloke

Other than that, I'd kind of like Konami's Breakdown, but mainly because it was, again, a fun experimental game.
Except it was Namco game ;)

As for Sega's Xbox games guess they're probably contract tied with MS, otherwise we'd be already seeing them on other platforms by now.

wilflare

I can't imagine the day all of us become grandparents... I wonder what happens then.
would Steam still be around.... and all our libraries...

i find it sad when I hear certain games are gone forever.. because the company did not safekeep the source code :/

Re: The Banner Saga, they're having an AMA session currently, with Austin Wintory, over on Reddit for any that are interested.

Thanks, I really enjoyed of what I played of Factions except getting steamrolled by other players. Hopefully it does well on Steam.

Grief.exe

Honestly, if we could get Sega's output (including Gunvalkyrie, which was a fun experiment), we wouldn't even really need an Xbox emulator anymore. Other than that, I'd kind of like Konami's Breakdown, but mainly because it was, again, a fun experimental game.

I actually have Breakdown, but I never got a chance to play it.

I don't have my original Xbox, and even if I had a 360, its not available for emulation. Such an interesting looking game, we will never see anything like it again.

Copons

In Conker? I never got that far. I think I gave up in disgust when I was platforming through a huge pile of shit while fighting actual shit-monsters. It's been a while.

Woah dude! The Great Mighty Poo is one of the highest peaks of the entire videogames history!

r3n4ud

I can't imagine the day all of us become grandparents... I wonder what happens then.

i find it sad when I hear certain games are gone forever.. because the company did not safekeep the source code :/

What if some of us already are grandparents? :p

derExperte

In Conker? I never got that far. I think I gave up in disgust when I was platforming through a huge pile of shit while fighting actual shit-monsters. It's been a while.

I was about to ask how much you played. But then even the first few minutes are funny. I don't quite get how someone can find Bulletstorm and SR4 funny (I do too) and not like Conker.

Woah dude! The Great Mighty Poo is one of the highest peaks of the entire videogames history!

It truly was. Not joking here.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Don't worry - almost everything released is pirated. So even though the source code may be lost, there will probably be emulators that can run DirectX 11 games in the future.

Turfster

Don't worry - almost everything released is pirated. So even though the source code may be lost, there will probably be emulators that can run DirectX 11 games in the future.

But you don't want to run pirated games on your Spinejack(tm)! Who knows what they can make you do!

I was about to ask how much you played. But then even the first few minutes are funny. I don't quite get how someone can find Bulletstorm and SR4 funny (I do too) and not like Conker.
I don't know, man. LIke I said, it was years ago.
It probably had something to do with register and tone, sort of like I can't stand the "satire" and "comedy" in recent GTA games, which is the equivalent of 2 moronic 12 year olds making fun of random strangers on the level of "oi, foureyes! foureyes!"

bloke

I actually have Breakdown, but I never got a chance to play it.

I don't have my original Xbox, and even if I had a 360, its not available for emulation. Such an interesting looking game, we will never see anything like it again.
Yeah it's still one of the most immersive FP games I played, but it got really repetitive in the middle, can't remember if I actually ever finished it...

Hasney

I've just had a look at Segas post-Dreamcast output for that generation and other than Outrun 2, I don't think a single game has been ported again unless it was on the Dreamcast first.

Sega either really did lose source code, or they're waiting for the right moment. (HINT: The time is now, Sega)

Zia

I just finished Brothers and I thought it was a wonderful little game. A bit rough around the edges, and despite it being visually breathtaking there were some aesthetic inconsistencies that really bothered me (very nitpicky things because the game, at its best, is unparalleled), but I thought it was lovely. The complaints of oversimplicity don't really jive with me because I could see things easily turning tedious. As is, I thought the mechanics were just engaging enough and for the most part everything felt really good.

Seems to be a tad overlooked. I think it may have suffered from an identity crisis (dull Swedish comedy director makes frou-frou game with mid-sized Swedish FPS studio) along with launching as a timed exclusive on an effectively dead console. If it were published by Sony people would be claiming that it's one of the greatest games ever made. It's not, but it's still a special little thing.

r3n4ud

I've just had a look at Segas post-Dreamcast output for that generation and other than Outrun 2, I don't think a single game has been ported again unless it was on the Dreamcast first.

Sega either really did lose source code, or they're waiting for the right moment. (HINT: The time is now, Sega)

Perhaps Sega is making a console where it'll only play Sega games of the past...Imagine?

morningbus

The stuff Sega did decided to port to the PC during that period of time is kind of bizarre, too.

I for one am glad that Billy Hatcher is available for the ages to enjoy.

fantomena

The Banner Saga seems very awesome. but I need a demo or something to try it out, I have not tried the F2P game yet, but Im not sure if it is the same as The Banner Saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom