• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1uZzi8r.png

Hotline Miami 2 and Shadow Warrior 2 was mentioned but man.. a new Hexen game would be nice. The Heretic and Blood games were dope so I'd like a new one of those too!

GaussTek

So, as of right now, the only really good thing/deal on Amazon to spend the $5 credit is Brothers?

Oh well, I'm not really excited about it, but I guess I'll try that one out, as have to use at least one of the promo credits :/

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
They're talking about new games, almost every single one of the suggested titles has already been formally announced except for new Shadow Warriors.

We gotta think bigger. Crazier.

Jawmuncher

So, as of right now, the only really good thing/deal on Amazon to spend the $5 credit is Brothers?

Oh well, I'm not really excited about it, but I guess I'll try that one out, as have to use at least one of the promo credits :/

I'll have impressions on Marlow Briggs soon.

Hi Derrick
Don't need to be Derrick to notice how poorly designed of a "game" it truly is. Loads of wasted potential if you read up on their original pitch (open-world, horror-themed survival game with Metroidvania-esque exploration), a cookie-cutter 'cinematic' third-person shooter no one asked for to replace a mainline Tomb Raider, shockingly atrocious writing for something that the developers desperately wanted to be taken seriously and the reason why (from the sounds of it) another Lara Croft & The Guardian of Light is never going to be greenlit with Square-Enix at the helm of it all.

See, SR4 and Bulletstorm are funny.
Conker (and Borderlands 2)'s "humor" is just sad and pathetic.
I don't know what Saint's Row games you've been playing, but all of them have very similar "piss and shit humor" as those other two games you're condemning. The series is as lowbrow as it gets.

I just finished Brothers and I thought it was a wonderful little game. A bit rough around the edges, and despite it being visually breathtaking there were some aesthetic inconsistencies that really bothered me (very nitpicky things because the game, at its best, is unparalleled), but I thought it was lovely. The complaints of oversimplicity don't really jive with me because I could see things easily turning tedious. As is, I thought the mechanics were just engaging enough and for the most part everything felt really good.

Seems to be a tad overlooked. I think it may have suffered from an identity crisis (dull Swedish comedy director makes frou-frou game with mid-sized Swedish FPS studio) along with launching as a timed exclusive on an effectively dead console. If it were published by Sony people would be claiming that it's one of the greatest games ever made. It's not, but it's still a special little thing.
Finished it a couple of days ago too, and it was a pleasant little diversion in between brutal games like Spelunky or Teleglitch. Found it to be an elegant game (for lack of a better word) and especially so with its aesthetics, even though there wasn't much meat to the actual gameplay aside from its setpieces never being repeated. The developers knew very well how they wanted to pace it and what they wanted to portray; as such I didn't particularly mind that it only lasted approximately 4 hours for an incomplete playthrough where I missed some achievements. It reminded me of ICO overall given its simplicity, though not quite as well executed.

Speaking of inconsistencies: did it bother you how the scroll of the map the brothers were carrying was unphased by water?

Crimson Skies was great and all but Snoopy Flying Ace was my dog fighting game of choice back on 360.

SnoopyFlyingAce_cover.png
I spent so many hours on this back in the day. Snoopy: Flying Ace was much better than you'd expect for a 'simple' multiplayer-oriented franchise cash-in. Even the American Football mode was highly enjoyable.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I would be willing to join along as well. Looks like a fun game to play with friends.

A novel GAF idea going. I decided to gift him the game anyways after writing that as he gifted me a game last night, and I also am aware trailmix has the game, so we might be able to get a full party. And I also happen to still have three spare copies of the game, so I guess if we wanted to do it today I could also let someone aboard.

Zia

Speaking of inconsistencies: did it bother you how the scroll of the map the brothers were carrying was unphased by water?

Ha, I noticed that, and I worried about
the solution gathered from the tree when the younger brother went swimming. Guess that must've been pretty airtight.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Today's Daily is 80% off EYE ($1.99 or $5.99 for a four-pack [$1.50 per head]).

I couldn't say no to such a price after hearing so much love for it.

I can however say I'm quite confused by getting Snow Globes again for purchasing it.

AHA-Lambda

god we better get a release date for hotline miami 2 soon! :D

does that tweet not seem to indicate new games though?
serious Sam 4 was hinted at in a humble bundle

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Freedom Fall has been released on Steam now.
Any words regarding keys on Desura?

Not yet, but there's already a thread on the game's community hub regarding keys for Groupees (Build a Bundle 6) and Indie Royale (Sigma Bundle) purchasers.

JaseC

wasn't/isn't blood in licensing hell or something ?

Monolith -> GT Interactive -> Monolith -> WB -> Atari. Monolith's site still purports that WB owns the IP, but all of WB's listings for the game on the USPTO website are dead, and as I mentioned just before, Atari shut down Jace Hall's desire to release a remaster.

It is being sold on GOG, so someone has clear rights to it.

holy shit i didn't know it was avalaible

my bank account is 5 bucks lighter

Monolith -> GT Interactive -> Monolith -> WB -> Atari. Monolith's site still purports that WB owns the IP, but all of WB's listings for the game on the USPTO website are dead, and as I mentioned just before, Atari shut down Jace Hall's desire to release a remaster.

well that's that

cicero

I got a few rare games now on Steam in my library.

Blur
Cryostasis
Football Manager 2012
Mafia
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
So glad I got these in time (Homefront excluded?):
OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast
Cryostasis
Mafia
Blur
Elven Legacy + All removed DLC
Homefront
Space Rangers
Space Rangers 2: Reboot
Neverwinter Nights 2: Platinum
Fuel
Fable III
Prey - I have no idea where my cd is :(

The ones I really have wanted but didn't get in time, so glad some of them are returning:
Enemy Territory: Quake Wars
1701 A.D.: Gold Edition
1701 A.D.: Sunken Dragon
Dawn of Discovery
Dawn of Discovery - Venice
Pacific Fighters
Wolfenstein
Indigo Prophecy (got this on GOG this Christmas for only $1.79 though)

wilflare

question!

currently, I have Mass Effect 2. If I get the Digital Deluxe, will it overwrite my current one or come up as another entry?

(similarly in Origin, I have Mass Effect 2. Will getting Digital Deluxe just overwrite or?)

Briefly talked about it a while back, no one cared. :(

Game is so difficult and exhausting in the later levels (given how much you need to multi-task) when aiming for the gold medals. Which I consider a plus!
Their loss :(

But yeah, I'm only going for gold and perfect on a level before moving on to the next one. Haven't been too difficult yet, but only like 11-12 levels in. The teleport can be a bit annoying sometimes with a controller but just realized you can use the right analog stick for bombs so that should make things a bit easier. I wish you could rebind controller buttons though.

But it's definitely a giftable game.

JaseC

LazyGuys Bundle keys came through:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bridge It Plus -- MB-B8847E0645021E49 - Taken by YianGaruga
Hacker Evolution plus Hacker Evolution Untold plus Hacker Evolution Duality -- MB-F095BBEDE6672277 - Taken by The Dear Leader
Aztaka -- MB-9B348208C18E0AEC - Taken by bornlivedie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom