• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Learning an awful lot about people in this thread by seeing them recommend Sonic 4.

An awful, awful lot.

denx

So I played some Fall of Cybertron today.

HOLY SHIT THAT METROPLEX LEVEL OMG

The fourth level with Cliffjumper was a lot of fun too. I loved getting through a good chunk of the level the stealthy way.

The only problem I've had with the game thus far (and a rather big one) is that it has a tendency to randomly crash. I haven't looked the Steam forums or PC Gaming wiki yet, so hopefully there is a way to fix that. It also likes to installs the VC++ redistributables in every startup, like they weren't installed before, so there's that.

Hawkie

I've been surprised by the interest in The Banner Saga here in the thread so have decided to do a giveaway each day until release (Jan 14th). They will all be flash giveaways at various times (to cover as many time zones as possible) and I'll try and give 30mins notice. The preorder up for grabs each time will be the Steam "Insane Viking" version.

So I played some Fall of Cybertron today.

HOLY SHIT THAT METROPLEX LEVEL OMG

The fourth level with Cliffjumper was a lot of fun too. I loved getting through a good chunk of the level the stealthy way.

The only problem I've had with the game thus far (and a rather big one) is that it has a tendency to randomly crash. I haven't looked the Steam forums or PC Gaming wiki yet, so hopefully there is a way to fix that. It also likes to installs the VC++ redistributables in every startup, like they weren't installed before, so there's that.

Well the only fix that I found regarding the VC++ redistributables is to uninstall the ones on your PC and reinstall them, and It won't ask you to install them anymore! About the crashes, I never had any crashes with that game!

cicero

When I see 3 people on my friends list playing MGR and I'm broke...

losing-it.gif

Turn it off! TURN IT OFFFF!@#

Nothing quite like seeing a Dutch Reformation Calvinist watching the worst horror movie for him possible.

That should have worked.
It did for me yesterday.

Is it actually downloading, or "downloading"?

It was bizarre. It started downloading the 24 gigs of MGR again despite the folders already being there. I went into the game folder and clicked the actual exe and hey presto, the game loaded up fine(awesome game so far btw).

I then proceeded to play the game for the last ~3 hours while, in my second monitor, I could see the game being re-downloaded by Steam O_O.

Thanks, but I'd much rather Valve come up with their own solution instead of depending on third party solutions for what really should be an implemented feature by now, especially with the rise of SSDs.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Thanks, but I'd much rather Valve come up with their own solution instead of depending on third party solutions for what really should be an implemented feature by now, especially with the rise of SSDs.

I'll try not to take offense :p But I agree. Their game management has gotten significantly better than it was over the last year or so, but it's still nowhere as nice and robust as it should be (obviously).

You might also think about checking out Skulls of the Shogun.

Oh yeah, I got that for free in the Autumn Seal coupon promotion. Might have to check it out.

Turfster

I then proceeded to play the game for the last ~3 hours while, in my second monitor, I could see the game being re-downloaded by Steam O_O.
Do you have bandwidth usage tracking?
In my case, it just checked the files very slowly while "downloading", but didn't actually download anything from the internet.

Episode 1 or 2? Episode 1 somehow sucks nearly as bad as Sonic 06, but Episode 2 is actually pretty okay. Not awesome, but it's about as nice to play as, say, the Rush or Advance titles.

Ep 1. It looked like some fanmade flash game and controlled even worse. I wonder which intern put this mess together.

Ep 2 looks much better but now there's also Tails. I just wish it'd let me actually play the game instead of giving me the opportunity to push a button every 30 seconds.

Levyne

Banned
Steam noob question.

Any way to get rid of the "pre-purchase" banner from MGR in my gridview? Other then finding an identical picture and going custom?

Dr Dogg

Well one massive benefit of so many clean installs is that new found boot speed. Plus putting Steam on a separate drive is magical how everything just works afterwards. Bizarrely so does Uplay to an extent, though we don't talk about that do we.

the leveling system is beyond terribad

And that's being polite. Broken beyond repair would be my assessment. So easy to totally fuck yourselves over at later levels it's just best not to sleep to level up at all unless you get a laid out plan. Oh and whomever thought about acrobatics increasing as you just travel around was a plonker. You have to either get a horse or crouch walk everywhere with certain builds.

denx

Well the only fix that I found regarding the VC++ redistributables is to uninstall the ones on your PC and reinstall them, and It won't ask you to install them anymore! About the crashes, I never had any crashes with that game!

I'll try that, thanks.

Playing through the
Metroplex
level makes me wish this was a Transformers movie intead of the Bay stuff we got. :p

I'll try that, thanks.

Playing through the
Metroplex
level makes me wish this was a Transformers movie intead of the Bay stuff we got. :p

Your welcome :D

Just through steam.

I'll just go custom

That's weird, well just go custom then!

Edit: If I recall correctly, when I bought it (just when the game appeared as a Daily Deal) there wasn't any "Pre-purchase" banner, but after a few minutes later, they changed the banner to the "Pre-purchase" one, so maybe that's why you have that banner!

bu-bu-but I want to brag

Then at least do it in some way that is relevant. Like posting how many games you have that start with the letter B.

Playing through the
Metroplex

There is only the greatest cartoon movie of all time.

So yeah, watch that. If not for the first time, watch it again.

And that's being polite. Broken beyond repair would be my assessment. So easy to totally fuck yourselves over at later levels it's just best not to sleep to level up at all unless you get a laid out plan. Oh and whomever thought about acrobatics increasing as you just travel around was a plonker. You have to either get a horse or crouch walk everywhere with certain builds.

damn game defines min/max - ing. I actually prefer Skyrim's leveling vs. Oblivion.

My Steam library right now. 47/1107 gam...]

no

There is only the greatest cartoon movie of all time.

So yeah, watch that. If not for the first time, watch it again.

my man. The soundtrack is straight up awesome. Love that movie, Hot Rod is a true bro.

honorless

We don't have "get out of jail free" cards, but if we did, she'd have one.
This is gonna be a major stretch, but just in case anyone else backed Banner Saga at the crest design level and (...still) hasn't submitted a crest: is uploading disabled for you too?

I realize I'm too late to make it in at launch which is fine, but if there's actually an issue with my account not having the eligibility it should, obviously it'd be nice to clear that up.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I've been surprised by the interest in The Banner Saga here in the thread so have decided to do a giveaway each day until release (Jan 14th). They will all be flash giveaways at various times (to cover as many time zones as possible) and I'll try and give 30mins notice. The preorder up for grabs each time will be the Steam "Insane Viking" version.

As if I need my steam thread addiction justified any further.

Awesome idea and generous set of giveaways to come!

Dr Dogg

damn game defines min/max - ing. I actually prefer Skyrim's leveling vs. Oblivion.

While all TES games have had a 'you are what you play' mechanic to their levelling, Morrowind still had the feel of a character sheet. Skyrim in the other hand seams to lean more on a perk based system and Oblivion is the bastard child of both and just doesn't work as intended.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Let's post internet speeds too, everyone!

Nope, nope, nope

Let's everyone post about all the times we've given gifts to fellow gaffers out of the kindness of our hearts, not wanting any recognition.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alan Wake's American Nightmare -- MB-0C4DE382B06C2F72 - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 2 entrants total.

t1389412004z1.png

BruteUA

Let's everyone post about all the times we've given gifts to fellow gaffers out of the kindness of our hearts, not wanting any recognition.

Good idea!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bad Rats -- MB-D3FCD9696C07CACA - Taken by The Dear Leader

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:

Trine -- MB-2315C5855C34F284 - Taken by feel
Trine 2 -- MB-5F8B5FD8DD8D9134 - Taken by adriano999

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom