• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anybody tried Ace Patrol? Wondering if its any good.

It is really good at what it tries to do. That is, at creating an airplane based strategy game. The thing is, what it tries to do just isn't that much fun.

So you play a few missions, think "this is really well done" but will then stop playing because it is all too limited.

Now if they made a full blown strategy game (tanks, boats, soldiers etc) and then had the planes on top as one component? That would be pretty special. Overall, worth a couple of dollars (Amazon plus voucher) just as something different.

Tellaerin

Just a little something to kick off the weekend. : ) I enjoyed this one - hope whoever ends up with it enjoys it, too.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Darksiders -- MB-CE30373A21F37CA0 - Taken by Kirosia. 3 entrants total.

t1389416956z1.png

Levyne

Banned
The counter parry has a much smaller window, and some attacks simply cannot be countered, so it's not all you.

Edit: Darksiders is fun. Someone win that and play it.

Card Boy

Banned
Welp, MGR is kicking my ass hard. I totally suck at it, I just died repeatedly at a miniboss in the 2nd mission. Looks like it's not for me, if I can't even beat the first levels, lol

It's not hard, attack and move in the direction of the attack. You need to master it as every boss fight especially after Blade Wolf requires basic mastery of it.

Any suggestions for fun, dumb, pick-up-and-play online multiplayer games (preferably not fps)?

Awesomenauts.

Ban Puncher

I got lucky so I felt the need to spread the love;

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons - -- MB-979D19F2F4849C2C - Taken by Gez. 14 entrants total.

t1389417360z1.png

Edit: Wrong game artwork. Give away is for Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons
Edit 2: Manual edit to correct artwork.

denx

Any suggestions for fun, dumb, pick-up-and-play online multiplayer games (preferably not fps)?

I'll cheat (somewhat) and say Chivalry Medieval Warfare, since it's not technically a FPS, but rather a First Person Melee Combat game. It's some glorious hilarious fun.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
It's not hard, attack and move in the direction of the attack. You need to master it as every boss fight especially after Blade Wolf requires basic mastery of it.
Yeah, but I can perform a parry like 1% of the time; the rest are regular blocks, which don't damage the enemy. I don't know when exactly to perform that move.

The video that Grief posted is really helpful, and I'll have to put some of those tips into practice.

hitmon

It is really good at what it tries to do. That is, at creating an airplane based strategy game. The thing is, what it tries to do just isn't that much fun.

So you play a few missions, think "this is really well done" but will then stop playing because it is all too limited.

Now if they made a full blown strategy game (tanks, boats, soldiers etc) and then had the planes on top as one component? That would be pretty special. Overall, worth a couple of dollars (Amazon plus voucher) just as something different.

Thanks for the insight.

Marvel Heroes is pretty fun.

Some brief thoughts on games I've been playing.

Bleed - I completed it on all difficulties and did almost everything there is to do, really short (around 20 minutes a playthrough) but really fun. Playing through story mode is just training for arcade mode, which I managed to beat on normal but I doubt I'll finish hard or v. hard -- it won't stop me from trying though. The combination of air-dashing with minute finessing from analog controls, along with analog stick shooting and a manually triggered bullet time all just work really well. Weaving through enemies and bullets while trying to maximize my own damage output was always satisfying.

Tomb Raider - Awkward camera movement in games has never really bothered me, like headbob and such, but the constant jitter and tilt as a result of every step Lara takes literally gave me a headache the last I played. And while I've never been a huge fan of QTEs the game manages to make them worse by occasionally not telling you what button to press, and even when it does it'll list the button at the bottom of the screen despite the QTE overlay over the action will be on a completely different end of the screen. Lemme tell ya it was real fun failing a spot over and over due to the trial and error of trying to figure out what button they wanted me to press.

Combat's been a bit fun so far, bow kills are always good. I will say I wish this game dropped the whole audiologs in the form of transcribed journal entries though, I'm already checking out from any sense of character or world investment and I just want to get with the combat scenarios. Why the hell am I finding a journal about Whitman's crumbling marriage in an area that we both just arrived to?

Grief.exe

Thanks, but I already know how to do it: X + stick in the direction of the enemy (playing with a 360 pad). I just can't get the timing right, and if I still manage it to connect, I end up performing a regular block instead of a damaging parry.

Hopefully I'll get better with practice. I wouldn't want to have to drop the game this soon.

That is all I have ever been able to do is block, sometimes I time it right and you get the slow-down queue so you can chop them up nice and thin like deli meats.

Tenrius

Anybody else on GAF having these really weird perfomance issues in Deadly Premonition? The game runs at full speed, seemingly, but for some reason most of what's happening on the screen is sort of choppy. It's hard to explain, but here's someone else's video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5pmA2BlVnw.

It seems that a simple restart was able to solve this issue for most people, but I had no such luck. I wonder if it has something to with Optimus, as I'm aware that DPfix does not support it. By the way, it's exactly the same with the DPfix, only in 1080p.

Carm

So I played some Fall of Cybertron today.

HOLY SHIT THAT METROPLEX LEVEL OMG

The fourth level with Cliffjumper was a lot of fun too. I loved getting through a good chunk of the level the stealthy way.

The only problem I've had with the game thus far (and a rather big one) is that it has a tendency to randomly crash. I haven't looked the Steam forums or PC Gaming wiki yet, so hopefully there is a way to fix that. It also likes to installs the VC++ redistributables in every startup, like they weren't installed before, so there's that.

Well the only fix that I found regarding the VC++ redistributables is to uninstall the ones on your PC and reinstall them, and It won't ask you to install them anymore! About the crashes, I never had any crashes with that game!

No reason to go uninstalling/reinstalling stuff.

Steam > SteamApps > common > Transformers Fall of Cybertron > redist, delete vcredist_x86.

Problem solved.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Guys, I'd rather you not post stuff in this thread that could make me look like a perv in front of my sister. Had to disable images in the browser to not feel uncomfortable.

And I'm not even joking. Some people could be browsing GAF at work, or with their partner or parents or whatever. Better not risk creating awkward moments for them.

rtcn63

Guys, I'd rather you not post stuff in this thread that could make me look like a perv in front of my sister.

And I'm not even joking. Some people could be browsing GAF at work, or with their partner or parents or whatever. Better not risk creating awkward moments for them.

Though I can understand where you're coming from, Milamber pretty much ruined that illusion from here on out.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Awesomenauts.

LoL left me a bad impression of MOBA games. How "ragey" are the players?

I'll cheat (somewhat) and say Chivalry Medieval Warfare, since it's not technically a FPS, but rather a First Person Melee Combat game. It's some glorious hilarious fun.

The reason why I mention no FPS is because they cause me motion sickness. But I see that it can be played in 3rd person... which changes everything!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Though I can understand where you're coming from, Milamber pretty much ruined that illusion from here on out.
That's true, but then he only ruined it for us. None of my coworkers or family members know what Rapelay is (or so I believe), so there was no risk of things getting awkward there.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That's true, but then he only ruined it for us. None of my coworkers or family members know what Rapelay is (or so I believe), so there was no risk of things getting awkward there.

Surely they're aware of what a sexy beach is, though. :p

Edit: Apparently the developer of Freedom Fall is based in Western Australia! That's neat.

Damn, this is still being discussed.

never live it down.

EDIT: omg

Milamber
Stalking the Sexy Beach, looking for Prey

Card Boy

Banned
LoL left me a bad impression of MOBA games. How "ragey" are the players?

Not at all. Its the only MOBA i can play without getting angry.

• Game is gamepad and mouse and keyboard friendly
  • Community is helping and doesn't call you names or rage at you
  • Matches last anywhere between 10-25 minutes
  • Your skill matters rather than farm in Awesomenauts you can carry your team to victory by yourself if your good enough.
  • Game getts lots of free content updates and support from the developers
  • Community is healthy and lots of people still play
  • Game has a sense of humor
  • Last of all the game is fun

Thanks for DS.

olivia-wilde-gq1.gif

Think i might watch Tron Legacy tonight now.

Thanks, but I already know how to do it: X + stick in the direction of the enemy (playing with a 360 pad). I just can't get the timing right, and if I still manage it to connect, I end up performing a regular block instead of a damaging parry.

Hopefully I'll get better with practice. I wouldn't want to have to drop the game this soon.

Always parry slightly early rather than slightly late... better to block than to take damage.
Abuse your dodge evade.
It's a rhythm thing... you just need practice.

That Olivia gif! DAYUM. ;)

Lain

Freedom Fall keys have gone out for Indie Royale Sigma Bundle purchasers: you need to tie the bundle to your account by clicking the link on your collection page and then view your Desura collection from within the client to obtain your key (Desura icon -> History -> Gifts History -> "your collection" link -> Freedom Fall -> Keys -> Get Steam Key).

Cool, redeemed my key.

Good morning, chaps! Just woken up and reading through some of last nights posts

On the topic of The Banner Saga, there's a Deluxe Edition that activates on Steam available on Gamefly. It seems to include the full soundtrack while the Steam version doesn't? I don't know, can't check the database; maybe someone who can can clear it up?.

In the steam version says that it contains 3 tracks, while in the Gamefly steam version contains the official soundtrack but it doesn't say that it's the full ost... but I don't know!

Pretty sure the pre-order grants three exclusive music tracks (extra ones). So both pre-orders would come with that, but only the deluxe would also include the base soundtrack. It is a bit confusing.

According to the Gamersgate page for the deluxe edition [Steam key]:

The Banner Saga Deluxe Edition includes:

- The Banner Saga - game
- The Complete Original Score – the official soundtrack includes 29 tracks by Grammy nominated composer Austin Wintory, performed by the Dallas Winds orchestra plus a powerhouse trio of acclaimed YouTube sensations: vocalists Peter Hollens and Malukah and violinist Taylor Davis.

And this is in addition to

PRE-ORDER EXCLUSIVE - the ‘Insane Viking’ pack! Pre-order includes the exclusive Tryggvi character (spearman class) plus a necklace that grants a +10% extra damage in combat. It also includes three exclusive tracks created by Grammy nominated composer Austin Wintory.

The pre-order exclusive “Insane Viking” pack includes:

- Tryggvi character (spearman class)
- Tryggvi’s necklace (grants +10 % CHANCE TO DO 2X STR DAM in combat)
- 3 exclusive tracks by Grammy nominated composer Austin Wintory
- Special pre-order price

So yeah, that Gamefly copy would seem to be the way to go, pricewise. Damn you, HypeGAF, now I'm tempted!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom