• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmizzal

Two games to give

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Shadowgrounds -- MB-347E2B16B709F58F - Taken by Gravelord_Nito. 3 entrants total.
Shadowgrounds Survivor -- MB-2778C6CD2B39C4FB - Taken by Camel Master. 1 entrants total.

t1389427440z1.png

MadSexual

I just got a new 500 GB SSD and decided to move my entire Steam library to it. I created a new library first, then copied all of my games over to it. I also deleted the old games through Steam where it thought to look for them as being installed (perhaps this point is the problem). Now, when I tell Steam to download a game I have all of the files for, it downloads them all again anyway instead of discovering existing installation files. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to avoid it in the future?

Grief.exe

I just got a new 500 GB SSD and decided to move my entire Steam library to it. I created a new library first, then copied all of my games over to it. I also deleted the old games through Steam where it thought to look for them as being installed (perhaps this point is the problem). Now, when I tell Steam to download a game I have all of the files for, it downloads them all again anyway instead of discovering existing installation files. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to avoid it in the future?

You just straight up drag and dropped?

Um, I entered for Shadowgrounds Survivor too and modbot shows only one entrant?Something wrong or am I blacklisted?

Do you have enough posts in the thread?

EDIT: Seems you did. You probably botched the PM.

I wish they would ad an "auto buy" feature that you can ad to games on your wishlist when they go below a certain price.

Just incase you are away or miss a special or something. Would be a really neat feature. Just put all the authorisations through for the games that you want at the price that you want and when that title goes below the price that you want it for then BOOM you own it. I think it's something they should do and they could gauge how much people would like to pay for a game and if a certain game got to a certain number of orders at a certain price it would give them incentive to drop the price to that level (obviously those numbers wouldn't be public) but to me... it's a no brainer!

Edit - For example. I really REALLY want Kingdom Rush but I refuse to pay more than $5 for it and realistically it should be perhaps less than that, maybe $3 or $4, but I'd put in an auto buy if it went under $5. It's on special now for $7.49, and it may seem like I'm being cheap, but I have purchased so many games over Christmas that I am perfectly willing to wait for the rest. I have $1 in my wallet so really I'd only be paying $6.50, but even still.

Edit2 - Another example is DayZ. I really wanna grab this game, but I don't really think I can justify paying $30 for the alpha version as awesome as it sounds but it doesn't seem like it's going to be going on special any time soon because it's the price of the game at that price that is helping to fund development. Put it at $15 for a day and watch how many copies will fly off the table, it's OP for an alpha. It should be $15 while it's under development and then when it's finished put the price up.

MadSexual

You just straight up drag and dropped?

Do you have enough posts in the thread?

EDIT: Seems you did. You probably botched the PM.

I did, but that has always worked before. Steam discovered existing files and downloaded what was left (nothing). Didn't work this time...

Starting up Rise of the Triad...I think I picked the fastest character. Might need some dramamine...
I picked the second fastest not knowing what to expect of the speed and it made Doomguy look sedate by comparison. If I were to go back and do it all over (never touching that game again) I'd just pick the slowest and tankiest guy, because he's still pretty fast and the game does not justify the mobility whatsoever -- so you might as well be able to soak in more of the plentiful hitscan attacks. If anything the slower movement makes it easier considering the jerky platforming elements.

wazoo

Freedom Fall keys have gone out for Indie Royale Sigma Bundle purchasers: you need to tie the bundle to your account by clicking the link on your collection page and then view your Desura collection from within the client to obtain your key (Desura icon -> History -> Gifts History -> "your collection" link -> Freedom Fall -> Keys -> Get Steam Key).

I hate the desura client, it is so much unfriendly.

My game is tied using the sigma link, I see it in my collection of game in the client or on the web. Still, I do not see any link in the client

on the website, "You need to get keys from Indie Royale where this game was purchased."

ok : I found it in the client, collection part. Still, totally a mess.

Chris R

Any idea what would cause three of my games to totally lose 100% of their integrity and need to completely redownload? Lucky for me I wasn't playing them at the moment, but my cap means I can't grab them again right away.

Need to prevent this from happening with games I'm actually playing...

schuey7

Any idea what would cause three of my games to totally lose 100% of their integrity and need to completely redownload? Lucky for me I wasn't playing them at the moment, but my cap means I can't grab them again right away.

Check to see that your harddrive is not failing.Also maybe its the steamworks games that are updating .

Tizoc

How're the ports of the Classic SEGA Genesis games on Steam? Good audio and video emulation being close to what M2 does?

Ban Puncher

How're the ports of the Classic SEGA Genesis games on Steam? Good audio and video emulation being close to what M2 does?

Range from serviceable to poor. Typical Backbone emulation rush jobs with none of the care that M2 takes with each individual title.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?

I'm guessing it was a mass conversion to the Steam Pipe data compression format. For me, it was:

Half Life
Half Life 2: Lost Coast
Source SDK Base 2006
Source SDK Base 2007
Heroes of Might & Magic Single Player
Zeno Clash Models (For Gary's Mod)
...And Amnesia: Dark Descentl.

If it weren't for the last one, I'd think it was only Source stuff. Anyway, I don't think it'll happen again unless something odd happens on Valve's end. If you don't have a lot of games installed, you can tell them each to not auto-update.

Their loss :(

But yeah, I'm only going for gold and perfect on a level before moving on to the next one. Haven't been too difficult yet, but only like 11-12 levels in. The teleport can be a bit annoying sometimes with a controller but just realized you can use the right analog stick for bombs so that should make things a bit easier. I wish you could rebind controller buttons though.

But it's definitely a giftable game.
Velocity Ultra gradually increases the pace so eventually the game'll be no slouch in overall difficulty, but the levels really start upping the stakes (for completionist runs) around the 25th stage. Come level 35 there's just so much going on that you need to consider that it ends up being delightfully overwhelming, but there won't be much left afterwards for better or for worse.

Playing with a controller is usually fine and I finished all levels with my default Xbox 360 pad, but keyboard & mouse feels mandatory to unlock all the gold medals and I'm willing to switch because of it. Accuracy becomes a huge deal when moving as fast as you ideally need to, and the analog sticks leave too much room for error in narrow area's or tight spots for the secret tokens. Which is to be expected, knowing that Velocity was originally designed around the Vita's touch screen.

Perhaps I should make a .gif of it sometimes to sell people on it more easily. It's criminally underrated.

Community-Hosted Livestream Highlights Indie Games
http://store.steampowered.com/news/12203/
I like the idea behind this, but did Torchlight II and Risk of Rain really need more exposure? Guess they're the token big names to lure in more viewers, but even so.

Any suggestions for fun, dumb, pick-up-and-play online multiplayer games (preferably not fps)?
Monaco.

I want to say Gun Monkeys, but I missed my chance to grab it (two copies for the price of one) when the Steam Sale ended a day pre-maturely for anything that wasn't highlighted on the frontpage.

Tomb Raider - Awkward camera movement in games has never really bothered me, like headbob and such, but the constant jitter and tilt as a result of every step Lara takes literally gave me a headache the last I played. And while I've never been a huge fan of QTEs the game manages to make them worse by occasionally not telling you what button to press, and even when it does it'll list the button at the bottom of the screen despite the QTE overlay over the action will be on a completely different end of the screen. Lemme tell ya it was real fun failing a spot over and over due to the trial and error of trying to figure out what button they wanted me to press.

Combat's been a bit fun so far, bow kills are always good. I will say I wish this game dropped the whole audiologs in the form of transcribed journal entries though, I'm already checking out from any sense of character or world investment and I just want to get with the combat scenarios. Why the hell am I finding a journal about Whitman's crumbling marriage in an area that we both just arrived to?
Already gave you an essay's worth of complaints re: Tomb Raider, but it's only going to get worse from here.

Ban Puncher

FREE GAMES YO

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Papo & Yo -- MB-CFC0AC1070FD00EA - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 3 entrants total.
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien -- MB-8CCB7170EE2A09D3 - Taken by Tizoc. 2 entrants total.

t1389433831z1.png

Played a couple of hours of Torchlight 2 because free weekend, and so far it seems like the candidate for least interesting setting, characters and story in a game ever.

Does it get better? Story is perhaps not the focus of a loot game, but come on....

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
morning Gaf, whats happening?

edit: desura collection page on Freedom Fall, under keys, has a "get steam key" button. you click it, it tells me to fuck off to indieroyale... well fuck you too desura :(

Coldsun

Banned
Played a couple of hours of Torchlight 2 because free weekend, and so far it seems like the candidate for least interesting setting, characters and story in a game ever.

Does it get better? Story is perhaps not the focus of a loot game, but come on....

Unlike the 1st, Torchlight2 doesn't ever really get 'better' outside of farming loot from maps.

thanks <3

Also I've really been enjoying Runner2 but I found the first Runner to be tedious.

Would that be due to me playing Runner2 with a controller and playing Runner1 with a keyboard?

Probably, I enjoyed Runner 1 a lot with a 360 controller, haven't played Runner 2 though, so I can't compare.

There's no worthwhile storyline to speak of, not that almost every other loot RPG is better in this regard beyond production values.

Acts have you travel from one environmental cliché to the next like most in the genre; mostly there for variety given the complaints directed at the first Torchlight for taking place in the same town with cave after cave until you fought the endboss.

thanks <3

Also I've really been enjoying Runner2 but I found the first Runner to be tedious.

Would that be due to me playing Runner2 with a controller and playing Runner1 with a keyboard?
First one is more difficult, but with less variation visually and with its obstacles. Both handle the same on a controller though.

wazoo

morning Gaf, whats happening?

edit: desura collection page on Freedom Fall, under keys, has a "get steam key" button. you click it, it tells me to fuck off to indieroyale... well fuck you too desura :(

as people said, you have to do it though the client, which will give you the key, totally mess up design.

I find them to be fine, but they are basically roms running in Fusion as far as I can tell.

The interface is nightmarishly crap if you have more than about four games.

There's no worthwhile storyline to speak of, not that almost every other loot RPG is better in this regard beyond production values.

Acts have you travel from one environmental cliché to the next like most in the genre; mostly there for variety given the complaints directed at the first Torchlight for taking place in the same town with cave after cave until you fought the endboss.

First one is more difficult, but with less variation visually and with its obstacles. Both handle the same on a controller though.

Sounds like I'm gonna skip this one. It's not I expected a worthwhile story, but everything seems so cliche that I'm not interested in seeing any further enviroments.

I actually liked that the first game focused on city. It gave the area some personality and it was to return to it from the dungeons.

Copons

I found none.
None.

Haha. Well most of them are really well hidden, you'll never find them if you're not exploring and looking everywhere for visual hints.
I thought at least 1 or 2 were pretty obvious though.

Well, I loved The Swapper, but I found the secret rooms to be totally unfair (even more because they're linked to all the achievs).

I mean, checking every inch of the level to find an empty wall wasn't the best design choice in the 80s Super Marios, let alone here where you have to create clones to check even BEHIND walls...

Benedict

Why is it sometimes that when you put up trading cards they don't show up in the community market list?
Are there still available or should one remove it and sell it again?

wilflare

Because you're not given a Desura key to use, though, you have to do things a little differently:

what about other bundles that have Freedom Fall (Groupees right?) are we getting Steam keys or do we have to go Desura redeem and claim?

-----

What happens if you claim a Desura key of a game (from Groupees) that you already have in your collection? (Indie Royale link)?

I did that once only to realize I already have that game :/ so will my code still be useable?

Copons

Why is it sometimes that when you put up trading cards they don't show up in the community market list?
Are there still available or should one remove it and sell it again?

Sometimes they aren't immediately added to the market, so just wait a little bit and they're going to show up.
This is much worse when the market is overloaded, like during sales.

hohoXD123

Just started playing Outlast, still near the beginning but I'm really liking it so far, it's made me jump a couple of times. You really do need to use headphones, as well as turning off the lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom