• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Weird....booted up Wings of Prey today after not playing it for months. Im on a new PC now but I always kept the installation files. I have Steam installed on C:\Program Files (x86) but all my games installed in D:\Steam and thats where the Wings of Prey files were.

I got an error message stating "missing exe" so I went looking and saw the Wings of Prey .exe was there....so I validated the files and it tells me that 500 files needed to be redownloaded (12 GBs worth of data) event though I already had the files.

So I went looking around and found another, separate steam folder on D:....one that I never created....in D:\Program Files (x86)\. This only contains a steamapps folder and a handful of game folders, most of which are indie. Sure enough, in this folder was on empty Wings of Prey folder. I copied the 12GBs from one folder to another, re-validated, and the game worked.

Im a little confused now. How is steam installing games to a directory that I never created or listed in the settings? And how do the games know to look there?
If I look under my preferences, I only have 2 directories set up for Steam game installs....The main install on C: because steam requires that one...and the other D:\Steam folder that I created.

Hakkuei

Well, I loved The Swapper, but I found the secret rooms to be totally unfair (even more because they're linked to all the achievs).

I mean, checking every inch of the level to find an empty wall wasn't the best design choice in the 80s Super Marios, let alone here where you have to create clones to check even BEHIND walls...
I disagree.
You have to think out of the box in some cases but none of them are hidden behind random walls, they all make sense with the "right" mindset. Like I said, there are always some visual hints.
I was rewarded almost every time I thought "hey there's probably something hidden there".

Well that sucks.

I happened to notice something a little strange with my Steam profile this afternoon. This morning it had 623 games and 422 DLC listed to my account. This afternoon there are only 622 games and 397 DLC. I was scratching my head trying to work out what game would have that much DLC attached, but it looks like the culprit is the Cities in Motion Collection, which has apparently vanished into thin air. Is there some problem with this title at the moment?

Low Tier
Hey SteamGAF, I have a big problem atm with updates/downloads :(

Dota needs to update, but when I select download the update it's just stuck on Preparing to launch, and eventually times out. I've tried reinstalling steam, changing the download region, deleting .blob files, running as admin, but nothing seems to work.

9cgNLP4.png

plz send help not even almighty Wes could help me

Jawmuncher

I'm currently playing Marlow Briggs at 15FPS with dips and at 800x600 resolution....
THIS GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME

If you have the amazon credit you need to pick it up.
Easiest comparison to make is God of War.

Turfster

Dota needs to update, but when I select download the update it's just stuck on Preparing to launch, and eventually times out. I've tried reinstalling steam, changing the download region, deleting .blob files, running as admin, but nothing seems to work.

How much free space do you have on your Steam drive?
Sounds like the drive doesn't have enough free space to download the Dota2 files.

Low Tier
How much free space do you have on your Steam drive?
Sounds like the drive doesn't have enough free space to download the Dota2 files.

I have like 800 gbs free :X

Also Wes and I found the solution. Started downloading from Berlin and its working. Apparently US Servers were botched for me

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm currently playing Marlow Briggs at 15FPS with dips and at 800x600 resolution....
THIS GAME IS FUCKING AWESOME

If you have the amazon credit you need to pick it up.
Easiest comparison to make is God of War.

Well it's God of War if God of War was actually locked at 60 fps and rendered at 2880x1620, a resolution featuring 3744000 more pixels than the last released game in the God of War series.

maty

I disagree.
You have to think out of the box in some cases but none of them are hidden behind random walls, they all make sense with the "right" mindset. Like I said, there are always some visual hints.
I was rewarded almost every time I thought "hey there's probably something hidden there".

But some rooms are hidden behind random walls. Just check the achievements stats and you will see that the 2nd room was found by more people than the 1st one. That's because the 2nd is in a pit which you would be inclined to explore while the 1st you need to swap through a fake ceiling and in the air swap to the right and that was in no way hinted.

I didn't use a guide for the puzzles but I did check maps to see if I was close to a hidden room, then I would explore and try to find them.

TGMIII

Have you tried deleting any of the folders and files under steamapps/downoading. If I remember correctly dota 2 files should be marked with 540.

This happens to me randomly with every dota patch and it's the only way I've found to fix it. Valve says it's a hard drive problem but it obviously isn't if the only time I get the issue is with dota 2.

JakeD

sorry for the generic network question but i know i'll get a quick and helpful response here:

im getting 503 Service Unavailable on both desura.com and indieroyale.com. these are the only websites i can find that this is happening on. restarting my modem/router didn't work. the sites work on my phone as long as i'm using 4g and not connected to my wifi. what's my next step? is this happening to anyone else?

edit: i should add i deleted cookies, tried different computers and different browsers. same on everything

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
sorry for the generic network question but i know i'll get a quick and helpful response here:

im getting 503 Service Unavailable on both desura.com and indieroyale.com. these are the only websites i can find that this is happening on. restarting my modem/router didn't work. the sites work on my phone as long as i'm using 4g and not connected to my wifi. what's my next step? is this happening to anyone else?

Probably a DNS issue. Try switching your DNS servers to that of Google's.

Reposting for attention, sorry.

Has anybody else noticed any games disappearing from their account in the last 24 hours?

Cities In Motion with all its DLC has definitely gone, but that only accounts for 13 DLC items. I'm still not sure what the rest are. I know Bundlestars is currently doing a deal on with the Cities in Motion collection: any chance this might be some kind of database error due to that? (JaseC?)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Well that sucks.

I happened to notice something a little strange with my Steam profile this afternoon. This morning it had 623 games and 422 DLC listed to my account. This afternoon there are only 622 games and 397 DLC. I was scratching my head trying to work out what game would have that much DLC attached, but it looks like the culprit is the Cities in Motion Collection, which has apparently vanished into thin air. Is there some problem with this title at the moment?

Melted77

Do you have download restrictions set? Try unchecking "Limit auto-updating schedule" in Downloads.

PriitV

Has anybody else noticed any games disappearing from their account in the last 24 hours?

Cities In Motion with all its DLC has definitely gone, but that only accounts for 13 DLC items. I'm still not sure what the rest are. I know Bundlestars is currently doing a deal on with the Cities in Motion collection: any chance this might be some kind of database error due to that? (JaseC?)

Thanks for any suggestions.

http://www.reddit.com/r/paradoxplaz...t_from_rsteam_notice_to_all_winter_sale_2011/
Would that relate to your problem?

The_Monk

All is good on my end fellow GAFfer, sorry to hear about your problem. I do only have Cities in Motion 2 however, so it might make sense to not be affected.

I hadn't seen that, thanks. However, I never owned that pack. What seems to have gone is "Cities in Motion Complete (Dec 2012) Retail" according to my Licenses and Subscriptions. It was originally bought from GMG (maybe Woo was right about them all along).

All is good on my end fellow GAFfer, sorry to hear about your problem. I do only have Cities in Motion 2 however, so it might make sense to not be affected.

Yes, it's only CIM1 so far that I can see. But thank you anyway :)

EDIT:
What Cities in Motion subs have you bought/activated (you can CTRL-F for them here)?

As above: "Cities in Motion Complete (Dec 2012) Retail"

JaseC

I hadn't seen that, thanks. However, I never owned that pack. What seems to have gone is "Cities in Motion Complete (Dec 2012) Retail" according to my Licenses and Subscriptions. It was originally bought from GMG (maybe Woo was right about them all along).

Yeah, Paradox goofed up:

a day ago Removed cim-mac-london from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: London from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: St Petersburg from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: St Petersburg from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Paris from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Paris from the package
a day ago Removed cim-mac-ulm from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Ulm City from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion - Design Dreams DLC Mac from the package
a day ago Removed Cities In Motion - Design Dreams DLC from the package
a day ago Removed Cities In Motion: US Cities from the package
a day ago Removed Cities In Motion: US Cities from the package
a day ago Removed Cities In Motion: German Cities from the package
a day ago Removed Cities In Motion: German Cities from the package
a day ago Removed Cities In Motion: Metro Station from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Metro Station from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Tokyo DLC from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Tokyo DLC from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Design Now from the package
a day ago Removed Cities In Motion - Forum Registration Key from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Design Marvels DLC from the package
a day ago Removed Cities In Motion - Design Classics DLC from the package
a day ago Removed Unknown Depot 73015 from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Design Now from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion: Design Marvels from the package
a day ago Removed Cities In Motion - Design Classics DLC from the package
a day ago Removed Unknown Depot 73011 from the package
a day ago Removed Cities in Motion from the package

Edit: It seems Paradox emptied all retail CIM 1 subs.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
War of the Human Tanks finally on Steam. Hmm, I should've bought it earlier on GMG/Desura when it was very cheap.

JaseC

Damn....

Thanks for the info, JaseC. Very much appreciated. :)

Is this something that is likely to be fixed on its own, or am I going to have to go cap in hand to Steam support and pray that Lord Gaben is in a benevolent mood?

As I ninja-edited into my post, it seems every CIM 1 retail sub has been dissolved. I'd wager this is a mistake because the store subs are unaffected (I still have the game + DLC), which is to say I think we're just seeing Paradox's version of Squeenix's embarrassing stuff-up with Just Cause 2 the other week.

As I ninja-edited into my post, it seems every CIM 1 retail sub has been dissolved. I'd wager this is a mistake because the store subs are unaffected (I still have the game + DLC), which is to say I think we're just seeing Paradox's version of Squeenix's embarrassing stuff-up with Just Cause 2 the other week.

Which suggests that the current Bundlestars offer would also have been affected (I'm assuming those would also have been retail keys). So there might be a few more complaints soon.

I'm still a little concerned as that only accounts for 13 DLC items in total, but I can't think of any easy way to look up what the others might be. I think I'll wait until after the weekend to see if the problem is corrected, and then I'll start laying siege to Valve HQ (all those Paradox strategy titles have to have taught me something, right?)

bonesquad

I disagree.

Or you could be an idiot like me who never even thought there were such things as hidden rooms in The Swapper and hence never even bothered to look around for them... First game I ever beat without at least one achievement popping up:) (Well, of games that had them of course.)

I wonder how many people found them because they knew to keep an eye out for them, versus the number who found one without knowing the game even held such secrets.

Turfster

Or you could be an idiot like me who never even thought there were such things as hidden rooms in The Swapper and hence never even bothered to look around for them... First game I ever beat without at least one achievement popping up:) (Well, of games that had them of course.)

I wonder how many people found them because they knew to keep an eye out for them, versus the number who found one without knowing the game even held such secrets.

Oh, I'd seen the achievements and figured out they were "hidden", but the atmosphere and the story gripped me and I didn't want to do the usual silly "hump every wall to find the sekrit" gamey dance. If I encountered them during play, good. If I didn't... *shrug*

Hakkuei

But some rooms are hidden behind random walls. Just check the achievements stats and you will see that the 2nd room was found by more people than the 1st one. That's because the 2nd is in a pit which you would be inclined to explore while the 1st you need to swap through a fake ceiling and in the air swap to the right and that was in no way hinted.

I didn't use a guide for the puzzles but I did check maps to see if I was close to a hidden room, then I would explore and try to find them.
Yeah it's not surprising, I also found the 2nd room before the 1st one.
Now, this room is probably the one where the hint is the most abstract, but not random. The fact that
there is this big panel blocking your view was enough to make me think that there was something behind it. That's the hint. There is no other place where this happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom