• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Divius

7jPmXS4.png

Just finished Shadow Warrior and I loved it. Gunplay feels really good (lots of oomph), the swordplay feels even better. I rarely used anything other than my sword, unless I was completely overwhelmed or at bossfights. Even though my computer kinda sucks and I could not run this on High settings, I thought it was beautifully designed (especially in the later sections), check out my screenshots here. I picked this up for €6 and I can highly recommend it, it is just so much fun slicing up demons. Feels good man.

Luckily the cutscenes were a huge improvement over the ones in Hard Reset :p

YOU GOT THE TOUCH

Tomb Raider - Awkward camera movement in games has never really bothered me, like headbob and such, but the constant jitter and tilt as a result of every step Lara takes literally gave me a headache the last I played. And while I've never been a huge fan of QTEs the game manages to make them worse by occasionally not telling you what button to press, and even when it does it'll list the button at the bottom of the screen despite the QTE overlay over the action will be on a completely different end of the screen. Lemme tell ya it was real fun failing a spot over and over due to the trial and error of trying to figure out what button they wanted me to press.

Combat's been a bit fun so far, bow kills are always good. I will say I wish this game dropped the whole audiologs in the form of transcribed journal entries though, I'm already checking out from any sense of character or world investment and I just want to get with the combat scenarios. Why the hell am I finding a journal about Whitman's crumbling marriage in an area that we both just arrived to?

I can't stand the QTE complaints on Tomb Raider. There is a lot to complain about
even though I enjoyed the game
, but the five QTE's that take place during the game should be near the bottom.

And the .gif keeps getting quoted. Looks like it's the right time to retire from the thread for a while. See you guys tomorrow or whenever!

I get your 'complaints', as I browse from work regularly, but you are telling people to tone down the internet. It just isn't going to happen. My advice would be to scroll faster.

my man.

Anteater

man PG needs to patch in other resolutions for MGR for downsampling quick, I don't like the look of sgssaa

this is why we complain before the game comes out, so they could start working on the patch earlier >_>

Some brief thoughts on games I've been playing.

Tomb Raider - Awkward camera movement in games has never really bothered me, like headbob and such, but the constant jitter and tilt as a result of every step Lara takes literally gave me a headache the last I played.

This is the reason I've only played 58 minutes since release. I get nauseated & it takes awhile to wear off. I've been waiting for the camera shaking effects to be patched out but I doubt it's going to happen, so I know I'll never play it again.

Turfster

Reading backlog... Jesus shit got weird last night.

Bientôt l'été was added to the Indieroyale Choices 2013 bundle.
Who chose this?

DasFool

Here's a somewhat odd question. Does anyone else find themselves unable to commit SPECIFICALLY to PC games, but not other platforms? This has been bothering me for a while and I'd like to see other people's reasoning on it.

For example, every single time I have started any Fire Emblem playthrough, I will finish it within a few days and those are typically 30-40 hours long. I just finished Xenogears over the course of last week, and that's a 50 hour game! Yet, I cannot, for some reason, ground myself enough to finish a relatively short game, say The Bridge or Strike Suit Zero.

rtcn63

Here's a somewhat odd question. Does anyone else find themselves unable to commit SPECIFICALLY to PC games, but not other platforms? This has been bothering me for a while and I'd like to see other people's reasoning on it.

For example, every single time I have started any Fire Emblem playthrough, I will finish it within a few days and those are typically 30-40 hours long. I just finished Xenogears over the course of last week, and that's a 50 hour game! Yet, I cannot, for some reason, ground myself enough to finish a relatively short game, say The Bridge or Strike Suit Zero.

It's because you can Alt-Tab and stare at Olivia Wilde gifs while PC games are active.

Anteater

I don't have that problem but could it be because of the distractions on computer? On consoles you are pretty much turning on the machine just to focus on playing the game.

Do you play on the same display? It could be the comfy couch :p

I demand lower resolutions.

Does the game support 480p?

bloke

The older I get the more I have problem with sitting at computer desk for a long time, and that's something what lot of PC titles require, maybe it's the same with you.

Did you or do you play a lot of multiplayer games on your PC?

I had this problem for a little while where I tended to play single player on a console, but any time I went to play a single player game on PC, it felt odd. I'd close the game and fire up CS or DOTA or whatever I was hooked into at the time.

If you can, I'd suggest moving your PC to where you can play on a TV from your couch for a little while.

Also, Gunpoint helps. The rapid respawns keep your brain darting enough to forget you're playing SP on your online multiplayer calculator/word processor.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
what about other bundles that have Freedom Fall (Groupees right?) are we getting Steam keys or do we have to go Desura redeem and claim?

The keys have been sent; the Desura folks just need to propagate them to non-IR subscriptions. Ideally this'll happen over the weekend, but don't be surprised if you have to wait until Monday.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

I can't speak for The Bridge, but Strike Suit Zero was trash in my opinion so that might be why. Pick a game as good as Fire Emblem on PC and you won't experience this "issue."

ok guys...strange problem. I can't get on Steam. The site says "This webpage is not available" and I've tried through Chrome and IE.

I can get on the client fine to play games and see my friends list, but any 'browser' or store stuff gives me an error code of -102.

I'm obviously connected to the internet and it only seems to happen with the storefront/browser stuff.

Thoughts?

Cth

How is Bientôt l'été?

What he said.. it's an art game.

I won a copy just because it looked relaxing and they simulated walking on a beach shore with waves nicely.

There's a game apparently but I never bothered with that aspect.. something like chess.

JaseC

ok guys...strange problem. I can't get on Steam. The site says "This webpage is not available" and I've tried through Chrome and IE.

I can get on the client fine to play games and see my friends list, but any 'browser' or store stuff gives me an error code of -102.

I'm obviously connected to the internet and it only seems to happen with the storefront/browser stuff.

Thoughts?

You've installed Enhanced Steam Standalone and since it isn't set as a startup program it effectively breaks Steam until you've loaded the exe (you can quit it immediately thereafter).

I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Go here instead: http://www.desura.com/collection

This doesn't work because there's no Desura key to input, so you have to tie to the entire bundle to your Desura account, which necessitates the client, as I explained earlier:

Freedom Fall keys have gone out for Indie Royale Sigma Bundle purchasers: you need to tie the bundle to your account by clicking the link on your collection page and then view your Desura collection from within the client to obtain your key (Desura icon -> History -> Gifts History -> "your collection" link -> Freedom Fall -> Keys -> Get Steam Key).

It's certainly one way to force client usage. :p Once you've generated the key from within the client you can view it as you typically would, though, so there's that!

Jørdan

Played a couple of hours of Torchlight 2 because free weekend, and so far it seems like the candidate for least interesting setting, characters and story in a game ever.

Does it get better? Story is perhaps not the focus of a loot game, but come on....

It's a good game in many respects however it is immensely shallow, enjoying the shit out of Titan Quest just now and the difference between the two is vast with regards to characters, setting and story. It would have benefited immensely from an injection of these into its great gameplay. Loot-a-lots don't pay enough attention to story and perhaps the feeling is it isn't important to the majority of its player yet I think it so. I'm not obsessive with regards to loot whoring and collecting so I need something to sustain interest and desire to continue playing.

wilflare

hmm Im trying to get my Freedom Fall key
but I keep getting this error

You need to get keys from Indie Royale where this game was purchased.

JaseC

It seems I've sold all my keys.

make-it-rain-arab.gif

hmm Im trying to get my Freedom Fall key
but I keep getting this error

You need to get keys from Indie Royale where this game was purchased.

Do this:

Freedom Fall keys have gone out for Indie Royale Sigma Bundle purchasers: you need to tie the bundle to your account by clicking the link on your collection page and then view your Desura collection from within the client to obtain your key (Desura icon -> History -> Gifts History -> "your collection" link -> Freedom Fall -> Keys -> Get Steam Key).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom