• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

it's less that the controls are janky and more that our brains aren't prepared for this amount of hand-eye coordination

like I could feel my brain braking

I played it with a hangover and... yeah I wouldn't recommend it.

Getting little brother on the left and big brother on the right so the sticks are controlling the opposite one really tied me in nots.

Phinor

What is up with the Steam Market? TF2 keys are currently selling for around $2.57 while you can buy it from the actual store for $2.49. Totally don't get these market prices and people willing to pay them.

Because for those of us in the euro zone they cost 1.99 euros in the TF2 store and currently 1.84 euros in the community market. Different regions have different prices in the official store, but community prices are universal.

it's less that the controls are janky and more that our brains aren't prepared for this amount of hand-eye coordination

like I could feel my brain braking

Yeah, pretty much. I wonder if women have it easier, being better at multitasking and all. This calls for an experiment.

zkylon

zkylewd
I played it with a hangover and... yeah I wouldn't recommend it.

Getting little brother on the left and big brother on the right so the sticks are controlling the opposite one really tied me in nots.
yeah I was constantly trying to place big brother on the left so that wouldn't happen.

tbh I think the whole controlling them both at the same time thingie was interesting but it's the thing I enjoyed the least about the game

Yeah, pretty much. I wonder if women have it easier, being better at multitasking and all. This calls for an experiment.
or drummers

Milamber

There's a guy on the board who's apparently very good at looking for Prey. Don't think he's around anymore though, but you could try the nearest beach.
That's right. Hawkie might still have some copies left. Shoot him a PM.

I'm still around though. Not gonna let my desktop snafu discourage me from posting in the steam threads.

Duriii

Anyone here have Takedown: Red Sabre? Worth $2?

Not really, but if you really want it, I have a giftable copy that I can present you for free. At some point they just gave away second copies to the existing owners as a form of apology...

Paid 15 bucks for it on their kickstarter campaign. R6 successor, my ass... Since that fiasco I'm really burned on supporting anything on KS.

JJMorris

Here is ok.

Thanks, good to know. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I purchased Guacamole: Gold Edition! during the Steam sale, and immediately installed it. But the game kept running as the trial version, where I only have ten minutes to play the game. I uninstalled and reinstalled the game, but I am still receiving the same issue. Is there anybody that could help? Thank you.

Chris R

Check to see that your harddrive is not failing.Also maybe its the steamworks games that are updating .

Hard Drive is fine, just sucks that I'll have to download Witcher 1 again at some point :|

All other games are set to not auto update though, outside of Dota2 now.

I can't stand the QTE complaints on Tomb Raider. There is a lot to complain about
even though I enjoyed the game
, but the five QTE's that take place during the game should be near the bottom.
I didn't realize it was a common complaint but I've only played like an hour and quantity isn't my issue, just the really stupid way it's implemented. I now know that they use icons in the QTEs that either mean melee, use, or shoot, but since I'm at the very start of the game and haven't familiarized myself with the interface I suddenly have a moment where a circle is contracting over another to time my button press and the only indicator I had was a "!" uhh, okay? Insta-died multiple times trying to guess which button they wanted from that one.

But if there are only five of these in the game I guess I've already done them all. Might as well have not put them in.

Already gave you an essay's worth of complaints re: Tomb Raider, but it's only going to get worse from here.
I'm trying to adjust my expectations from what I've heard of it, if I can get some fun combat out of it I won't mind.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Beat Ittle Dew, nice ALTTP clone (of the block-pushing puzzle parts, that is), with enough ideas of its own to spice things up. Cute art, some good tracks in the OST, and I like the way it kept making fun of genre tropes too. Collected everything then gave it another go to speedrun, still 4 achievements to go but I'll leave them for sometime in the future.

denx

I didn't realize it was a common complaint but I've only played like an hour and quantity isn't my issue, just the really stupid way it's implemented. I now know that they use icons in the QTEs that either mean melee, use, or shoot, but since I'm at the very start of the game and haven't familiarized myself with the interface I suddenly have a moment where a circle is contracting over another to time my button press and the only indicator I had was a "!" uhh, okay? Insta-died multiple times trying to guess which button they wanted from that one.

But if there are only five of these in the game I guess I've already done them all. Might as well have not put them in.

I'm trying to adjust my expectations from what I've heard of it, if I can get some fun combat out of it I won't mind.

Most of the QTE's are concentrated on the first two hours. There are more QTE's through the game but they are pretty spaced out, so it isn't really a problem. As for the game, yeah, approaching it as an action game with only some light puzzles and platforming elements is the right way to go. I liked TR 2013, but then again I don't like the older TR games so whatdoiknow.

So I'm ~1.5 hours into Dark Souls and it's pretty great so far. Haven't lost any souls from dying twice, but I'm terrified that it's about to happen. I've died twice on the Taurus Demon.

Questions:
1) What should I do with my souls? It seems like I shouldn't be saving them because it's entirely possible my saved up fortune can be lost in a few minutes. Should I be leveling up a lot? I can't really find other stuff to spend souls on.

2) What stats should I level up for a pyromancer?

3)Apparently I'm not allowed to cast any spells until I get a talisman? When does that happen?

zkylon

zkylewd
We're going all science up in this bitch.
any girl drummers in here that want a free brothers? me and blue ninja here are buying

So I'm ~1.5 hours into Dark Souls and it's pretty great so far. Haven't lost any souls from dying twice, but I'm terrified that it's about to happen. I've died twice on the Taurus Demon.

Questions:
1) What should I do with my souls? It seems like I shouldn't be saving them because it's entirely possible my saved up fortune can be lost in a few minutes. Should I be leveling up a lot? I can't really find other stuff to spend souls on.

3)Apparently I'm not allowed to cast any spells until I get a talisman? When does that happen?
1. buy all the things for your bonfire off the blacksmith asap that allow you to repair and upgrade weapons and armor plus the bottomless box. then yea, you can level your stats, buy magic or upgrade your weapons. they're all good choices. don't be afraid to use the "soul of forgotten hero" and things like that you find if you're short on souls for a specific level up, etc.

2. well iirc dexterity speeds up your cast times so you might want to level that (and get yourself a dex weapon like a scimitar), plus endurance is always nice. pyromancy doesn't scale with intelligence or faith, but rather your flame hand upgrade level, so don't bother too much with those.

3. yup, you need a talisman for miracles, and a wand for magic spells. I forget where you find them but I think it's fairly early. you don't need any of those for pyromancy tho

I first played it on hard (and got my arse handed to me in the process) but found the window to parry-block really generous but to perfect parry it has to be the last second. Thankfully those Infinite Climax Bayonetta skills came in handy.

That GRAD fight is a right shit due to the enclosed space and the massive amount of objects that spaz the camera out.

Normal definitely eased me in, don't know how I would have managed if I had played on Hard from the beginning. Of course the increased stats and Dystopia help as well but I didn't struggle as much as I did in some parts on Normal. S and A ranks on most fights.

Divius

Questions:

Putting souls into VIT or END are never wasted. You can also use souls to upgrade weapons, but you haven´t reached the place to do that yet.

As a pyromancer you use the Pyromancy Flame (the glove you should have picked up in the intro) to cast pyromancies. There are several NPC´s to be found later on where you can both buy spells and upgrade your glove. None of the stats improve your pyromancy (except Attunement, so you can have more spells).

Wok

There's quite a few more than five. At least six. Or ninety.

If we remove the QTE, there is little left.

Most of the QTE's are concentrated on the first two hours. There are more QTE's through the game but they are pretty spaced out, so it isn't really a problem. As for the game, yeah, approaching it as an action game with only some light puzzles and platforming elements is the right way to go. I liked TR 2013, but then again I don't like the older TR games so whatdoiknow.

I will try to get past the first two hours then.

enjoy

ModBot said:
Instructions for Motorbreath:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

A Valley Without Wind -- MB-655EDC87BB050CC5 - Taken by Vazduh
Pid -- MB-063D5A7ADD0B3188 - Taken by NotSelf

Nabs

Questions:

Don't stress lost souls early on. You're going to lose a lot, but you'll be fine. 2) There's nothing wrong with leveling endurance and vitality. I also leveled up strength when I rolled Pyro and made sure to grab a club early on. Fun times.

Jørdan

What is up with the Steam Market? TF2 keys are currently selling for around $2.57 while you can buy it from the actual store for $2.49. Totally don't get these market prices and people willing to pay them.

Those that are aware of the cheaper option may not want to download 14gb to buy a key, the cost of convenience.

maty

Anyone else having problems with the market? It's been hours since I listed some cards and they still don't appear.

Jørdan

Anyone else having problems with the market?

dUs6hLd.png

This is my problem. Sent the rest to trashbot but I'm keeping this one up out of morbid curiosity.

yuraya

Questions:

lol I lost like 140k souls and like 20 humanity because I fell off a cliff by accident. Don't feel bad. There are many opportunities in the game to regrind/earn souls again.

Use the souls to upgrade weapons and armor, purchase items from merchants. You will meet more merchants and blacksmiths later in the game so how you spend/save souls in the beginning is up to you.

Melted77

Because for those of us in the euro zone they cost 1.99 euros in the TF2 store and currently 1.84 euros in the community market. Different regions have different prices in the official store, but community prices are universal.

Jørdan;96740309 said:
Those that are aware of the cheaper option may not want to download 14gb to buy a key, the cost of convenience.

You can actually buy keys from the Team Fortress store from a web browser but I think Phinor answered the question above.

Copons

I've finally started playing Bit.Trip Runner2 (of course bought just a couple of days before the HIB10) after melting down the first one last summer.
I was a bit scared at first with the change of graphic style, as I really dug the 8-bit, but after just a couple of minutes in I totally changed my mind, as this new style is perfect!
I'm liking it a lot, and with all the secret stuff scattered around (keys, chests, etc.) and the goddamn target for Perfect+, I think I've finally found the right challenger to kick CSD out of my most played ever. :D

Questions:

1. Upgrading the Pyromancer's Flame, if possible, is highly advisable. Upgrading weapons is also a safe bet since there are no permanent reprecussions. Buying items is a safe way to remove extra souls. Begin collecting weapons and armour. The most important, immediate option, is to upgrade all of the bonfire-related items such as the repair kit (this may not be available yet depending on whether or not you reached the merchant), after that you can spend them however suits.

2. As noted above, Vitality and Endurance are useful for everyone. Don't put any points in Resistance. Go for a damage stat; strength, intelligence, faith, or dexterity. All are extremely valid options (personally I prefer Dexterity). All classes are going to need some amount of strength however, to meet whatever weapon requirements for the item they wish to wield. Attunement depends on whether or not you wish to use spells/miracles/pyromancy. A very basic build usually consists of reaching forty in vitality, endurance, and a damage stat. Really, it depends on what you wish to do. You aren't bound by your starting class, that doesn't really dictate anything.

3. Talismans are for miracles, which require faith. Catalyst are for spells, which require intelligence. Pyromancer's Flame is for pyromancy, which requires the Pyromancer's Flame only (no stat-based requirement). I can't remember the earliest you can get one of each, but the talisman and catalyst can be gotten very early as far as I recall; I think they can both be bought (the Pyromancer's Flame is acquired last, I believe, because of where you get it, if you didn't pick Pyromancer at the start which you did).

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Yesssssss!! Just beat Risk of Rain for the first time
on easy
. Love this game, now I just need to get better at it, ha.

schwupp

got two invites - have fun :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Strike Vector Beta -- MB-F6D381D4C1D94F30 - Taken by Hanzou. 10 entrants total.

t1389487517z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom