• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BorntoPlay

Battle300 thanks for Rocketbirds... but i already have it.... so there you go...

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Rocketbirds Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-DC1C93D73880E232 - Taken by Coldsun

Just ordered a copy of Prey from Amazon, hopefully the key works and don't have to go through support for the Duplicate Key issue some people have had by the sounds of it.

Just ordered a copy of Prey from Amazon, hopefully the key works and don't have to go through support for the Duplicate Key issue some people have had by the sounds of it.

i was about to order prey from amazon before i read your post.
duplicate keys? fuck me.
as long as i order "new" im fine right?

edit:
never mind, just realized i cant use paypal to order stuff from amazon. fuck life.

Turfster

How do I get Prey to play in 1920x1080? There are a lot of resolution but not 1920x1080, the max was 1920x1200.

1080? This is the computer world, son, where we use monitors that are 1200, not 1080 like those consoles and their teevees!

WSGF has the solution for you.
It's a config file edit.

i was about to order prey from amazon before i read your post.
duplicate keys? fuck me.
as long as i order "new" im fine right?

edit:
never mind, just realized i cant use paypal to order stuff from amazon. fuck life.

Reading about, even some of the reviews on Amazon mention people who bought sealed copies and had issues with the key already being used. In fairness they all got it sorted out but would rather not have the hassle. Fingers crossed.

Hopefully you can find it somewhere with Paypal. If this one works fine, the seller has some more so might grab a couple for people who want them.

Thinking of getting an external hd to store steam games on would a portable or desktop drive be better would like to add 2-4TB to my current setup

PaulLFC

Something's up with Steam's "Disk idle/disk busy" thing. It seems to be fine downloading most updates, but Rome II is stuck at 23.9 out of 32 MB because according to Steam the disk is "busy" and this prevents it from doing anything else.

If I move another update to the top of the queue, it downloads fine. As soon as Rome II tries to download, disk busy straight away, nothing downloads.

Other programs work fine. No idea what Steam's issue with the game is.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Thinking of getting an external hd to store steam games on would a portable or desktop drive be better would like to add 2-4TB to my current setup

Unless you're hopping between PCs regularly there's no reason to choose an external drive over an internal one if you've the room to spare.

Wow, Tomb Raider QTEs. Couldn't make out the icon they were flashing because the screen was violently shaking, and it doesn't help that all the icons are the same colour. After failing a couple times I had to take a screenshot to properly see what I was even looking at.

But despite that, I'm enjoying my experience so far. Combat's been pretty fun, I like the options available to me and the different classes of enemies actually mix it up in a way that's not frustrating or annoying.

Zafir

Wow, Tomb Raider QTEs. Couldn't make out the icon they were flashing because the screen was violently shaking, and it doesn't help that all the icons are the same colour. After failing a couple times I had to take a screenshot to properly see what I was even looking at.

But despite that, I'm enjoying my experience so far. Combat's been pretty fun, I like the options available to me and the different classes of enemies actually mix it up in a way that's not frustrating or annoying.
The QTEs become less tedious as the game goes on from my experience(with only one exception nearing the end). I had issues near the start with the
"rape"
scene just purely because with a mouse and keyboard it didn't give key indicators, just symbols you had to go into the controls to see what they meant.

denx

I'm almost sure you don't need an account for Final Fantasy 8 ;P

Ups, my bad.

But really, the only reason you'll want to create a Squeenix account is to play FF7. I made a Squeenix account when I was playing Tomb Raider and I don't remember getting any bonus stuff and such.

Miguel81

Platinum Games. An independent game developement studio comprised of Japanese game industry luminaries. The output of Platinum Games has been nothing but quality, just like their output at Clover Studios and Capcom before that.

Spark Unlimited. "Hey, we made Lost Planet 3, it was our first game that didn't totally suck."

Fuck Yaiba, what Tecmo need to do is release NG Black & II on Steam.

The QTEs become less tedious as the game goes on from my experience(with only one exception nearing the end). I had issues near the start with the
"rape"
scene just purely because with a mouse and keyboard it didn't give key indicators, just symbols you had to go into the controls to see what they meant.
The symbols are my problem with them, after going through some trial and error at the start of the game I figured what meant what (only to later see that they were indicated in the key binding menu), but it doesn't help when the game goes out of its way to make it hard to even tell what you're looking at. No Tomb Raider, when everything's shaking (including the QTE prompt) it's not readily apparent what one small graphic within a red circle is over another.

Ups, my bad.

But really, the only reason you'll want to create a Squeenix account is to play FF7. I made a Squeenix account when I was playing Tomb Raider and I don't remember getting any bonus stuff and such.

Ok, I HATE making extra accounts for games, so I'll pass.

Unless you're hopping between PCs regularly there's no reason to choose an external drive over an internal one if you've the room to spare.

Pretty sure the alienware x51 only has 2 hard drive slots with 1tb each not sure how much they can be upgraded as I think they are 2.5 drives too that's why I was looking at external drives + it helps when I want to transfer games to my brothers computer too

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Pretty sure the alienware x51 only has 2 hard drive slots with 1tb each not sure how much they can be upgraded as I think they are 2.5 drives too that's why I was looking at external drives + it helps when I want to transfer games to my brothers computer too

Ah. Assuming the X51 supports USB3 you'd probably be hard-pressed to notice any difference between it and an external drive.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Something's up with Steam's "Disk idle/disk busy" thing. It seems to be fine downloading most updates, but Rome II is stuck at 23.9 out of 32 MB because according to Steam the disk is "busy" and this prevents it from doing anything else.

If I move another update to the top of the queue, it downloads fine. As soon as Rome II tries to download, disk busy straight away, nothing downloads.

Other programs work fine. No idea what Steam's issue with the game is.
Something similar happened to me when trying to download Consortium. Hell, it redownloaded Max Payne 3 perfectly fine (29 GB) but always stopped at 1.3 GB in the former (lost the progress three times after restarting the Steam client). Manage to solve it today by changing the download region, so I'd suggest you try that.

Ketch

Anybody else excited for Banner Saga? I played the f2p multiplayer version a bit and it was really good, just a little grindy... I think the campaign of that should be amazing.

I'm a little surprised there's no OT up for it yet, it's only 4 days away.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, I had no clue The Swapper had controller support since it looked very m+k driven. Now that I tried it out it seems like they really put effort into implementing it.

i paid 8 bucks for prey, new, from ebay (4 bucks plus 4 bucks shipping from uk to canada), not bad. hopefully i can register it on steam, no duplicate bs.

Cth

Wow, I had no clue The Swapper had controller support since it looked very m+k driven. Now that I tried it out it seems like they really put effort into implementing it.

Must have just been added. Beat the game a while back.

Now there's no reason people shouldn't pick up this GOTY game.

Gamepad controls work great!

kidko

The family sharing thread looks dead so I'll ask here: is there a bug where the sharing options don't show up in the settings window? When I go to Settings/Family I only have the "Family Options" stuff on top for restricting content to your kids / etc

Exuro

The family sharing thread looks dead so I'll ask here: is there a bug where the sharing options don't show up in the settings window? When I go to Settings/Family I only have the "Family Options" stuff on top for restricting content to your kids / etc
Are you in the family sharing beta? Mine still shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom