• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Backlogger

The family sharing thread looks dead so I'll ask here: is there a bug where the sharing options don't show up in the settings window? When I go to Settings/Family I only have the "Family Options" stuff on top for restricting content to your kids / etc

Make sure you have the Beta client installed/activated via settings and that you are part of the beta. Go to Settings > Account > Beta Participation > select Steam Beta Update

Just wanted to post here that if you're not sick and tired of GOTY voting, please come and participate in the Indie GOTY Voting. Voting and nominees are open till the 19th, support indies with your nominations

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=734961
4hW7ix3.gif

It's the first time we're doing this, would be cool to have a nice initial turnout and make it annual IndieGaf thing

I looked at the voting procedure, shook my head at how complex it was, and proceeded to be happy enough that Spelunky was #3 on SteamGAF GOTY.

URGS:DLJFKljads;flka

I bought PGP specifically because I wanted to use a controller with The Swapper.
Everything is NOT coming up Milhouse. Those guys should totally send me $10 bucks!

Really tempted to get spelunky, but i'd feel so dirty buying a game thats not on sale...
Even without a discount, Spelunky is worth the price given its near-endless replayability. It's that deep and polished.

Alternatively, you can look into buying it with TF2 / DOTA 2 keys for an impromptu discount in the mind.

i still can't believe teleglitch is steam gaf's 2013 goty, you guys rock.

;_;
I made it to stage 3 or 4 the other day with sufficient (but basic) supplies, encountered new enemies I hadn't seen before, asked myself "Why are these guys so slow?" only to be unexpectedly shot in the face. Panic, got punched to death by a mob and was swiftly met with an unceremonious "You are dead." black screen.

Game is really good at making me anxious at all times with the ambient audio (machinery et al) alone too.

3D fighters are the next niche Steam genre that someone can claim pretty much by showing up.
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown free-to-play Steam Edition. Believe.

That is incredibly not recommendable. It is intended to be used with people you actually trust.

Hey now, I wanna see people get VAC bans and have that permanent reminder on their profile page all because they lent their account to some random douchebag. Save your reasoned opinions for somewhere else, this is the internet, man.

Anteater

Those fake steam pages for popular console games are brutal.. :(

Yet I can't look away, they are so nice. Sigh.

edit-
just links, so I don't give someone a heart-attack

mgs3 http://i.minus.com/ihQSI6jG3tG14.jpg
valkyria chronicles http://i.minus.com/i3aIxylvbPxHE.jpg
bayonetta http://i.minus.com/ieuPZuCJlxiHE.jpg
halo 3 http://i.minus.com/ibaO7TuqSvvv47.jpg
vanquish http://i.minus.com/ibrybYsKPsiCer.jpg

It wouldn't hurt so much if the ps3 bayo port wasn't so fucking shit, and I probably won't have my ps3 hooked up just for that 1 game in the future, my 360 is also fucking dead and I'm not going to buy a new one just to replay it in non shitty framerate. Sega pls.

20z1is828ev.gif

denx

Talking about Spelunky, I've played a couple of hours of it and I still don't feel like I'm getting any better lol. I've reached the jungle twice I think, and I often get frustrated by losing and having to start all over again from the beginning so I tend to rush and make stupid mistakes. This is a problem I have with pretty much all rougelikes I've played. I think I don't have the mindset for these kind of games. Seems like rougelikes just aren't for me.

That said, Spelunky is definitely the most enjoyable (but goddamn infuriating) rougelike I've played. I haven't liked any of the other games on the genre that people tend to rave about (FTL, Binding of Isaac, Teleglitch, you name it).

Those fake steam pages for popular console games are brutal.. :(

Yet I can't look away, they are so nice. Sigh.

edit-
just links, so I don't give someone a heart-attack

mgs3 http://i.minus.com/ihQSI6jG3tG14.jpg
valkyria chronicles http://i.minus.com/i3aIxylvbPxHE.jpg
bayonetta http://i.minus.com/ieuPZuCJlxiHE.jpg
halo 3 http://i.minus.com/ibaO7TuqSvvv47.jpg
vanquish http://i.minus.com/ibrybYsKPsiCer.jpg

This hurts.

I've crafted a few badges now. Are all the discount tokens for shitty games? Also, is there a way to trade them?

If you're willing to wait that long you might be better off holding off on the crafting of badges until the Summer Sale when you might get some kind of themed drop instead of coupons. That's what I did in the lead-up to the Winter Sale and it turned out to be reasonably profitable. Better than coupons anyway ;)

Talking about Spelunky, I've played a couple of hours of it and I still don't feel like I'm getting any better lol. I've reached the jungle twice I think, and I often get frustrated by losing and having to start all over again from the beginning so I tend to rush and make stupid mistakes. This is a problem I have with pretty much all rougelikes I've played. I think I don't have the mindset for these kind of games. Seems like rougelikes just aren't for me.

That said, Spelunky is definitely the most enjoyable (but goddamn infuriating) rougelike I've played. I haven't liked any of the other games on the genre that people tend to rave about (FTL, Binding of Isaac, Teleglitch, you name it).
Yeah, being methodical in Spelunky is essentially a requirement if you're unfamiliar with enemies, items, level hazards and so forth. Risk is ever-present.

It wouldn't hurt so much if the ps3 bayo port wasn't so fucking shit, and I probably won't have my ps3 hooked up just for that 1 game in the future, my 360 is also fucking dead and I'm not going to buy a new one just to replay it in non shitty framerate. Sega pls.

20z1is828ev.gif

The x360 version has a shitty framerate too.

Coupons are worthless unless it's something particularly great (e.g. 90% off Iron Sky). If they're cluttering up you're inventory, just give them to TrashBot.

Holy crap.
The 1st 3 pages are Velocity Ultra coupons.
Page 4 has about 5 coupons for Velocity Ultra and then it turns to Toki Tori 2+. For the remaining 21+ pages.

Well, I gave it divekick and crashtime 2 coupons too.

TheBear

If you're willing to wait that long you might be better off holding off on the crafting of badges until the Summer Sale when you might get some kind of themed drop instead of coupons. That's what I did in the lead-up to the Winter Sale and it turned out to be reasonably profitable. Better than coupons anyway ;)

What did you end getting as a result of crafting badges?

What did you end getting as a result of crafting badges?

During the sale crafting a normal badge would give you 1 of a set of 10 Holiday 2013 cards instead of a coupon. At the beginning of the sale these were selling for reasonably high prices. In fact, the reason I have 50 badges on my account is because I calculated that I would actually make a profit on each regular badge I crafted, so long as it cost me no more than £0.40 to complete a set. It was even better after I got a couple of foil drops that sold for £5 and £3 respectively.

Unfortunately, after the third community vote, when everybody got their first "free" holiday card, the prices fell off a cliff and that was the end of that...

And as JaseC said, crafting the Holiday cards themselves would also result in a special drop.

Dambrosi

Banned
I've crafted a few badges now. Are all the discount tokens for shitty games? Also, is there a way to trade them?
Coupons are worthless. So are badges, come to think of it. Just sell your trading cards for Steam cash.

Oh, and where can I find the SteamGAF GOTY Awards results?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Coupons are worthless. So are badges, come to think of it. Just sell your trading cards for Steam cash.

Oh, and where can I find the SteamGAF GOTY Awards results?

Second post of the thread.

Edit:
ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

header_292x136.jpg

Bientot l ete -- MB-382FAB7A07202ABB - Taken by bkw

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Z4fcBWg.png

That's 19 new cards to sell, with $2 worth on the market, and 28 more to farm, after already buying 2 games with card money (recently, I have done more in past times) I might make it to $20.

The trick will be timing and choosing what the game will be. Get MGSR when it drops into range, or wait for Cosmic Star Heroine?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Z4fcBWg.png

That's 19 new cards to sell, with $2 worth on the market, and 28 more to farm, after already buying 2 games with card money (recently, I have done more in past times) I might make it to $20.

The trick will be timing and choosing what the game will be. Get MGSR when it drops into range, or wait for Cosmic Star Heroine?

I feel that supporting belated PC ports is the way to go.

How? he says terrorist and instakillsme
A simple but reliable method I use to combat my first shopkeeper while only losing one heart is by standing right in front of him and whipping. With this positioning he'll get stunned by you, drop his shotgun, and give you just enough time to scurry, pick it up, and finish the deed.

ibdSTsNea8jE5y.gif

Dambrosi

Banned
Thank you very much.

Z4fcBWg.png

I've made just under £5 in Steambucks in the last week. I might be able to afford Rising in a couple more. Wish me good luck.

Just beat Arkham Origins story, definitely my favourite game of the series. Yeah, WB Montreal just built off of what Rocksteady established with the first two Arkham games and a lot of what makes this game great wouldn't have been possible if not for City and Asylum but they just did so much right in Origins: the story, the look and feel of the characters, the epic boss fights and the fact that the open world is now Gotham. I've sunk 20 hours into the game and I'm still nowhere close to being done.

Looking forward to the season pass content, picked it up in the Steam winter sale. Until it comes out, I'll probably just chip away at the remaining openworld activities, hunt down the last few assassins I haven't encountered and play through the combat challenges.

It's a shame The Joker isn't available in the combat challenges, he was fun to use in that brief trip into his mind while Harleen Quinzel interviewed him when he was being sent to Blackgate.

Levyne

Banned
Beat the Rise of the Triad campaign.

Was a fun diversion for a day, but a significantly better soundtrack than I expected. It was fun to tackle an FPS with doom-like open levels again.

Edit: I liked Batman Origins but I guess I played Arkham City too recently to truly love it. That battle system is still deceptively deep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom