• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dolken

Neo Member
I haven't played a lot of Samurai Gunn, just a quick match with a friend before catching a train (so I wasn't focused at all) but I'd say... Nidhogg loses the vertical movement and the weapon 'variety' but still manages to be way deeper. It's... if you want a multiplayer game - or even simply wouldn't mind one - just get it. It's immensely fun and incredible moments emerge from the game every single second, and at the same time you notice how there's a lot of room for mastering. It might only look like a 'cool game that you can play during parties because it's kinda spectacular' but it is so much more than that - you have to learn which positions win over which ones, what to do in each situation, how to react to your opponent behaving in certain ways... I don't know how to do all of this, but I feel it's there, it's in the game. AND there's still this bit of inertia and stiffness in the controls that doesn't feel wrong at all but which allows the worst fuck-up to be made even when you think you're in control, and the situation is wholly reversed... just buy it.

Thanks. I'll get it and Samurai Gunn as soon as possible.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Well so far this thread has been okay in staying in-topic, I think it's just the case we get more people posting during the summer/autumn/winter and whatnot - which is going to happen anyway.

Oh, you guys might find this interesting (list of all Steam threads and duration):

Thread 1 (2008) : STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN (815 days)
Thread 2 (2010) : STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010 (138 days)
Thread 3 (2011) : STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition (176 days)
Thread 4 (2011) : STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition |OT2| (105 days)
Thread 5 (2011) : STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later. (73 days)
Thread 6 (2012) : STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June (160 days)
Thread 7 (2012) : STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months (66 days)
Thread 8 (2012) : STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 - (100 days)
Thread 9 (2012) : STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming (24 days)
Thread 10 (2013) : STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox (89 days)
Thread 11 (2013) : STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them (74 days)
Thread 12 (2013) : STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask (24 days)
Thread 13 (2013) : STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life (24 days)
Thread 14 (2013) : STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP (34 days)
Thread 15 (2013) : STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged (37 days)
Thread 16 (2013) : STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII:Friends with benefits (30 days)
Thread 17 (2013) : STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting. (30 days)
Thread 18 (2014) : STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!
Thread 19 (2014) : ???

Steam: 6, GFWL: 0 is still the best subtitle. Dude who thought of that one is one some next-level shit.

louiedog

OpenVR is now SteamVR

It's used for Oculus Rift stuff in Steam.

5wgOpXP.jpg

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Jørdan;96998396 said:
Grats, as are we all. No question a bunch of 'em at Valve are using it.

I see a lot of hits on the Chrome Web Store analytics that come from Bellvue, WA and I always wonder if it's people from Valve taking notice. :)

Nice one, jshack, congrats mate. :)

Possibly a very silly question, but is it safe to assume this dev is still working at Valve?

Yep.
And he even gave me a few pointers.

Hawkie

This preorder includes the "Insane Viking" pack

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Banner Saga -- MB-4189D6A494FA8BE2 - Taken by Shepard. 55 entrants total.

t1389653731z1.png

Knurek

I was going to post this. He raises interesting points but I don't see Greenlight being discontinued soon.

I think there's some infighting in Valve regarding Greenlight, we've had some weird decisions concerning GL games (Paranautical Activity devs were told they couldn't skip GL with a publisher contract, while recently Wooden Sen'SeY did just that, La Mulana devs were told they couldn't put OST as a DLC, while a bit later Sounddoger+ did just that).

I think GL has been such a headache both to Valve (work, which they don't seem to want to do) and to devs (putting up with spoiled gamers demanding their bundle keys, etc) that they will try to get rid of it ASAP. Look how quickly they have embraced Early Access, and compare to Greenlight's pace.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I just realized I am sitting at exactly 1499 games on Steam. Might have to pick out something special for number 1500.

Tellaerin

I think GL has been such a headache both to Valve (work, which they don't seem to want to do) and to devs (putting up with spoiled gamers demanding their bundle keys, etc) that they will try to get rid of it ASAP. Look how quickly they have embraced Early Access, and compare to Greenlight's pace.

So they can hire jshackles and appoint him unofficial Greenlight Czar. Problem solved. ; )

MRORANGE

I
Fun, but unrelated fact. I've been reading MRORANGE as MMORANGE for the longest time.
You think that's bad? I've reading it as MIRRORANGE ("the range of mirrors!")
Wait, it's not?

mylifeisalie.gif

This was my 3rd attempt at trying to get a GAF account, in frustration I just typed my username and password in caps, hoping someone might notice it.

My previous attempts at trying to register on NeoGAF was 'reallybadninja' but that wasn't accepted for approval. Can't remember the first one.

It was so much easier to read and you could actually get announcements out of it without squatting and refreshing every 5 minutes just to watch another page go by with people talking about what achievement they got that day.

I always wondered why GAF never introduced a tag system for posts, for instance if somone had news they could tag it as 'SteamNews' and would show all the relevant info from that tag.(I'm assuming the huge of amount of DB entries would render it to a snails pace on a BB site of this size)/

I think there's some infighting in Valve regarding Greenlight, we've had some weird decisions concerning GL games (Paranautical Activity devs were told they couldn't skip GL with a publisher contract, while recently Wooden Sen'SeY did just that, La Mulana devs were told they couldn't put OST as a DLC, while a bit later Sounddoger+ did just that).

Looking this way it kinda makes sense.

MRORANGE

The modbot effect?

In my opinion I would still prefer a thread for bundle giveaways and perhaps even a PC community thread. But I guess by now I'm alone in that.

I think when we reach 400 pages in just 2 weeks we might want to do something. :lol

At least we can blame Modbot if we get moved to community.

I just realized I am sitting at exactly 1499 games on Steam. Might have to pick out something special for number 1500.

I'm at 985. I wonder if I can manage the right rate of accruing games to make Dark Souls 2 #1000...

Edit: Well not winning The Banner Saga certainly helped delay the march to 1000. ;)

Brainsaw

Neo Member
My small giveaway is almost closing, so in case you missed it (which is a very real possibility considering how this thread is steamrolling), it's not too late to enter the fray :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance -- MB-FAB9849FC406A3E9 - Taken by Annubis. 7 entrants total.
Darksiders -- MB-58D0C9AE68829453 - Taken by Pakkidis. 10 entrants total.
Supreme Commander -- MB-77D03C0A160F09FA - Taken by ussjtrunks. 8 entrants total.

t1389656927z1.png

Been playing through Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines after owning it for like 2 years, I really like it, although the gameplay isn't very strong at all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom