• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
Been playing through Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines after owning it for like 2 years, I really like it, although the gameplay isn't very strong at all

I can imagine that it's not strong by today's standard, but I seem to recall I really enjoyed the entire game shortly after release. Even though the gameplay wasn't very strong back then either, it was at least enjoyable. Best part of the game was the story and atmosphere anyways, so as long as the gameplay isn't cumbersome, it's all fine and dandy.

Then again, since I haven't touched it in ages, my memory might just be fooling me ;)

Annubis

My small giveaway is almost closing, so in case you missed it (which is a very real possibility considering how this thread is steamrolling), it's not too late to enter the fray :)

I'm still not sure which I like better between Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance.

Forged Alliance is better overall, but it made every flying unit useless. It gives 0 reason to make a bombing run since bombers can't even break shields now. Sure, they have more HP now, but they are still useless.
Another effect of the air-unit rebalance is that gunship have so low damage they have trouble killing tier2 units but their HP and armor are so fricking high they live forever. It's even more visible on the experimental gunship (although that one does descent damage)

So yeah... still undecided.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last week, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

War of the Human Tanks -- MB-921908844DE33D21 - Taken by RS4-. 12 entrants total.

t1389656103z1.png

Please only enter if you plan to play such Game :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for Chairmanchuck:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Vox -- MB-35B7837F1AB60E0F - Taken by The Dear Leader

Not sure if this works or if its used already. It shows "Alpha Steam Key".

I can imagine that it's not strong by today's standard, but I seem to recall I really enjoyed the entire game shortly after release. Even though the gameplay wasn't very strong back then either, it was at least enjoyable. Best part of the game was the story and atmosphere anyways, so as long as the gameplay isn't cumbersome, it's all fine and dandy.

Then again, since I haven't touched it in ages, my memory might just be fooling me ;)

I'd say the combat sucks, but RPG mechanics wise it's fine. Writing and atmosphere is where it's at.

Still pretty early in the game (about 7-8 hours) but yeah the combat isn't great, at it's semi-serviceable. The writing and the atmosphere are carrying me through it so far, anytime I'm not fighting I really enjoy it

Which clan are you?

Did the quiz thing at the start and ended up with Toreador

kurahador

Been playing through Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines after owning it for like 2 years, I really like it, although the gameplay isn't very strong at all

I agree with this. The town layout is also too confusing for me I forgot everything about it just 2 days of not playing.

Still pretty early in the game (about 7-8 hours) but yeah the combat isn't great, at it's semi-serviceable. The writing and the atmosphere are carrying me through it so far, anytime I'm not fighting I really enjoy it

Did the quiz thing at the start and ended up with Toreador

When you finish the game, start again as a Malkavian and have the time of your RPG life :D

Trust me.

NotSelf

Due to my own foolishness, I lost my save files for Pid. Thus, time to start from the beginning and I'm not looking forward to the first section over again. Fortunately the game does improve in design and fun of using the powers and platforming once it reaches Rooftop City and I'm sure I could get there rather quickly.

I will beat the game, I promised that.

Before I start up again though, how about a giveaway?

Thanks KenOD!!

I'm also playing pid looking forward to Rooftop City.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hopefully everyone who won a game today enjoys it. Be it tanks or waving a torch around in the Pacific Northwest or bringing forth Total Annihilation for a new era.

As for me, Pid went a strange direction there where it became a box moving game and while I had no issues with it and it was a bit fun with the puzzles at first, it never really quite became all that interesting or challenge outside of one that did trick me into thinking it was more complex that it actually was.

I am hoping the challenge rooms have good use of the slingshot mechanic, that has promise the game hasn't done too much with as of yet.

Also the game's villain is named Ken. I don't like that.

Thanks KenOD!!

I'm also playing pid looking forward to Rooftop City.

Word of advice, don't be so afraid to just use the various powers/items given to you. The game can be forgiving for bombs and the super jumps being found by destroying enemies or coming across vending machines.

I will fly to China tomorrow. Hopefully I wont have any problems accessing Steam. I know some pals from China, who dont have problems and when I was there 2011 I also never had any problems.

Hope it stayed the same.

Copons

Oh my goodness, latest Steam update says: "When installing a game, put it at the end of the download queue instead of the front"

Finally I will be able to batch install plenty of games in the order I want!

So Nidhogg was my game #100 and Banner Saga is going to be my game #101. Nice.

I actually just got sent the key for Banner Saga from GameFly but it won't activate on Steam yet (not surprising).

Also, if anyone is on the fence r.e. Nidhogg, just get it. It's awesome. The single player against bots is decent enough. The online multiplayer is not as cool as in person, but even at 66% as cool it's still utterly fantastic. The ebb and flow is amazing, and clawing your way back from almost certain defeat (and how it's directly mapped onto actual map progress left or right) is really amazing. So much better than watching a life counter go up or down a-la Samurai Gunn or whatever.

XCOM EU on Classic Difficulty is brutal.

Seriously :/.

I just had my first encounter with the
Outsider
. All 4 of my squad K.I.A. It was going okay too until
the Thin Men
decided to show up for the first time in this playthrough :/. The campaign overall is in such a parlous state I really don't see how I can triumph from here but I'll see it through to the bitter end. Even if I fail [likely, very soon] I might pick up some tips to help with the next bash at Classic. I am enjoying myself though, surprisingly.

This was my 3rd attempt at trying to get a GAF account, in frustration I just typed my username and password in caps, hoping someone might notice it.

My previous attempts at trying to register on NeoGAF was 'reallybadninja' but that wasn't accepted for approval. Can't remember the first one.

It was DarkLordOffAliSurvayYesThatIncludesuBowB4urMastahyaiisrly12butdonttelldamodsordhwontaprovemahacctlol59334, wasn't it?

Ughhhh Steam is taking forever on this Nidhogg transaction. I want to get that dick, and I want to get that dick now!

I know the feeling sweetie.

r3n4ud

So Nidhogg was my game #100 and Banner Saga is going to be my game #101. Nice.

I actually just got sent the key for Banner Saga from GameFly but it won't activate on Steam yet (not surprising).
Really on the fence with Banner Saga. Just that tactical rpg's aren't my thing. Game does look awesome though...

Ah well, hope you enjoy your latest pickups :)

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
CqVZ59p.png

Papo & Yo was visually magical to me, very memorable and some of the chalk effects were straight up Ghibli. Art and sound design were top-notch, down to the instruments used. Also, dat lighting.

Using a favela as the setting for a puzzle platformer with shifting geometry was kind of genius. The Brazilian influences felt genuine, which pleased me, but Quico's robot being called Lula was slightly obnoxious since a political reference adds nothing to a game like this nor to its themes. It's a minor quibble, but it did take me out of the game more than once since it's said a lot during the gameplay.

I found it interesting how
Monster's moods changes
affected me. The parallels the game makes are clear and stated from the dedicatory at the very start, but at first I didn’t expect it to have much of an effect on me since I'm completely detached from the subject of the main allegory. Anyway, it was nothing deep as far as emotional reactions go, but the game did manage to give me the conflicting emotions it was trying to convey. At one point I was
simply dreading the frogs as I just wanted Monster to stay peaceful, and not only from a gameplay perspective
. I liked that Quico was immortal in-game too, as seeing
him being repeatedly grabbed and thrown around
was way more unsettling than having an energy bar and a game over/continue screen.

man MGR is awesome. I can't wait to Rapelay replay the levels after the end. Just finished mission 1 and apparently missed a couple fights

Ughhhh Steam is taking forever on this Nidhogg transaction. I want to get that dick, and I want to get that dick now!

...Thats....what....she....said...?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Ah mazes, be it real life or in a game, just place one's hand on the left side/one's eye on the ceiling if 2D side scroller and just keep following that because eventually it gets to the end.*
My earlier quibbles aside, I'm quite happy that Pid is now keeping things so fresh and different from section to section.

*Not valid in labyrinths ran by someone named Pan or being watched by David Bowie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom