• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafiend

Anyone has positive or negative impressions to share about Iesabel?

Also, still waiting on Greenmangaming to add steam keys for War of the Human Tanks, since I bought the Deluxe edition there and I'm hoping to get a key for that, instead of using the keys from groupees.

Bought it and played a bit. I don't really like it, its a bit too rough round the edges for me. I don't mind jank, but this is a couple steps away from jank and toward annoying.

The intro sounds like it was read by someone seeing the script for the first time ever. I'm already gritting my teeth at the barbarian saying "more gold for me" in a really fake almost comedy gravelly voice. Give it another hour and no doubt I'll be saying "shut the fuck up" every time he says what might be his only line.

Inventory items look the same for both of the TWO classes available. So you have no idea which identical belt is one suitable for you unless you mouse over it. Items disappear into the ground and you have to mouse over areas you been fighting in to see what is there.

The couple maps I been on kinda look the same and invisible barriers on stuff that looks like you should be able to walk on is infuriating.
I have no reason to say that the whole game is like this but the couple quests I had so far have been staples of the go there, find this, kill that kind of game.
Enemies re spawn extremely quickly which I found made my exploring a chore. Combine that with the similar looking areas without memorable landmarks it all seemed too much effort.

I turned it off and may go back to it. Just to see if it gets better, not from desire to play.

Pakkidis

Bug with enhanced Steam.

When I go to steam everything is fine, but when I go to my profile it uses a different language? Using Cyberfox btw. Never had this problem before.

Pakkidis

I played a virus named tom and did not enjoy it. For a puzzle game it relies more on luck and solving puzzles feels like a relief rather than satisfaction.

About to finish Costume Quest and I love it. Such a cute little charming game.

Cth

Good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Satazius -- MB-AE78E7742A4A5874 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 17 entrants total.

t1389678347z1.png

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
all ready for the xenosaga
Cool! I have the trilogy (well, at least the first and third, I can't find the second one) but haven't played them all. I've been trying to play the first but the game keeps freezing after the tutorial battle on my ps2. I'd rather play it on there and have the save file on my mem card, instead of figuring out how to emulate it and having to use save states for saves. :\

Cool! I have the trilogy (well, at least the first and third, I can't find the second one) but haven't played them all. I've been trying to play the first but the game keeps freezing after the tutorial battle on my ps2. I'd rather play it on there and have the save file on my mem card, instead of figuring out how to emulate it and having to use save states for saves. :\

Why are we suddenly talking about Xenosaga games from the PS2?

Dolor

Bought it and played a bit. I don't really like it, its a bit too rough round the edges for me. I don't mind jank, but this is a couple steps away from jank and toward annoying.

The intro sounds like it was read by someone seeing the script for the first time ever. I'm already gritting my teeth at the barbarian saying "more gold for me" in a really fake almost comedy gravelly voice. Give it another hour and no doubt I'll be saying "shut the fuck up" every time he says what might be his only line.

Inventory items look the same for both of the TWO classes available. So you have no idea which identical belt is one suitable for you unless you mouse over it. Items disappear into the ground and you have to mouse over areas you been fighting in to see what is there.

The couple maps I been on kinda look the same and invisible barriers on stuff that looks like you should be able to walk on is infuriating.
I have no reason to say that the whole game is like this but the couple quests I had so far have been staples of the go there, find this, kill that kind of game.
Enemies re spawn extremely quickly which I found made my exploring a chore. Combine that with the similar looking areas without memorable landmarks it all seemed too much effort.

I turned it off and may go back to it. Just to see if it gets better, not from desire to play.

Ouch. I guess I'm glad they didn't add cards then.

Thanks for posting your thoughts.

zkylon

zkylewd

well my ps2 is busted plus I can play this on super hi res while browsing gaf :I

Turfster

damn. so those dresses, weapons and original Alice game is Origin-only?

You can sort of hack the dresses into the Steam version with an ini file edit iir, but OG Alice is Origin only. I think it might have been a preorder bonus on Steam at one time, but... that was a long time ago.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge

For the whole of Pid you have the power which creates a beam of light that pushes you away from it, that is the main mechanic. Eventually you get to a point where they really start testing your ability to use this correctly, pushing off from platforms to get to the right and it's all good fun, until you run into these creatures.

They are attracted to the light that you've been using as your main mechanic this entire time and you can't just continue as normal as otherwise your character will get hit and die rather quickly. So instead you have to focus on luring them away or make it so they are looking at one beam of light while you use another to go up or be pushed forward to the next platform. I quite like the challenge.

I just don't know how much I'm missing or might be frustrated by if I was still playing on normal difficulty though, having turned it to easy because the boss battles being quite tedious and tiresome otherwise.

thesaucetastic

Unconfirmed Member
Why are we suddenly talking about Xenosaga games from the PS2?
Suddenly? Wasn't it on the same page? Or wait, I'm using 100 posts per page, my bad if I dragged it up from the abyss.

well my ps2 is busted plus I can play this on super hi res while browsing gaf :I
Which is def the best part of emulation. I played through half of Tales of Destiny like that, it's awesome (speaking of which, I should prob finish that someday soon...)

Also, is it just me, or does Super Hexagon on higher difficulties induce a little motion sickness? I dunno if I can keep playing the game if it's just going to get worse.

SteamWorld Dig is pretty legit. It's like Dig Dug with persistent mines that you dig, loot and upgrades. I bought it on my 3DS and will definitely double dip on the Steam version in an upcoming sale.

Turfster

I hated Amnesia: The Dark Descent (uninstalled it after 26 minutes) yet I'm excited about Alien Isolation.

Amnesia made me cry like a little girl and almost gave me a heart attack, but yeah, I'm also excited for Isolation. Maybe because... we're more familiar with the Alien as a threat? We know how it works (or should work), so we're less... totally afraid of it?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
WHY.

Don't remove dlc volition what the fuck.

Strange that it's still up: a Volition dev confirmed that it was only going to be available until the 13th. Maybe he meant that the 13th is the last day it'll be available.

denx

Today has been troubleshooting day it seems. After my problems with DirectX and my audio chip (DirectX has been fixed, the problem with my audio chip and driver seems to be resolved, but I'm not sure yet), now Steam crashes every time I try to launch Primordia, forcing me to close it on the task manager. I already verified the cache and this doesn't happen with any other game I have currently installed. Man what a frustrating day to be using my computer. :/

I hated Amnesia: The Dark Descent (uninstalled it after 26 minutes) yet I'm excited about Alien Isolation.

The water level, the prison... *shivers*

I don't want to get my hopes up about Alien Isolation, but I'm cautiously optimistic about it.

JaseC

Colin.

I think Ubi may have realised that it'd be a good idea to sell Steam keys:

- Assassin's Creed 2 - Standard Retail
- Assassin's Creed Revelations Retail
- The Settlers 7 Retail
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Retail

The AssCreed 2 sub aside, which was renamed from Assassin's Creed 2 Comp, they're merely 3~4 hours old, so they didn't just jump to the front of the registry due to yet another general backend update on Valve's part.

So if you buy a retail copy of these games, you will be able to redeem the CD key on Steam? Or there will be a new option for these games to purchase a Steam key on the uPlay store, like we've seen with Final Fantasy VII? My thoughts go to the latter, but it doesn't make much sense. You would think they would want to push the uPlay client more, especially with their bigger IP's like Ass Creed. I wouldn't be complaining though mind you, fuck uPlay.

You would think they would want to push the uPlay client more, especially with their bigger IP's like Ass Creed. I wouldn't be complaining though mind you, fuck uPlay.

Rayman Legends was pretty telling for me. When you don't want to mention UPLAY on the store page and you don't want to answer any questions about it to gamers... you might just be pushing shit up hill.

JaseC

So if you buy a retail copy of these games, you will be able to redeem the CD key on Steam? Or there will be a new option for these games to purchase a Steam key on the uPlay store, like we've seen with Final Fantasy VII? My thoughts go to the latter, but it doesn't make much sense. You would think they would want to push the uPlay client more. I wouldn't be complaining though mind you, fuck uPlay.

The latter seems more likely to me since Ubi sees 100% of the revenue, and seeing as all internal Ubi games from AssCreed 2 onwards use Uplay even on Steam, it's not losing anything by offering a Steam key as a purchase option.

Edit: I think these are also Ubi's: 36820, 36821, 36822, 36823, 36824, 36825, 36826, 36827 and 36828. Numerically they follow on from the aforementioned Settlers 7 sub and were updated at about the same time.

Panda Rin

I'm deciding on whether to buy Banner Saga tonight. I'm really liking the aesthetics, but I'm kind of reluctant because of the reviews for the F2P version.

Curious_George

Neo Member
I wouldn't base the decision on Factions as there are many good single player games that fail to shine in multiplayer. Some turn based games are great in multiplayer (Frozen Synapse) and others less so. But I probably wouldn't pre-order Banner Saga at this point either since it's being released so soon and reviews will soon follow.

denx

Talking about subs, do we know anything yet about the hundred subs or so that were added at the same time some months ago?

JaseC

Talking about subs, do we know anything yet about the hundred subs or so that were added at the same time some months ago?

I've been keeping an eye out for a public app/sub that falls within the range but I haven't seen anything yet.

Edit: Wait, 3089 and Captain Morgane were included in the November batch and neither fall within the range (268650 to 270630 for apps and 35619 to 35918 for subs), so perhaps they weren't Greenlight reservations after all.

zkylon

zkylewd
you know what, I think I don't really like mgr

I hate how mashy it is, I feel like I have 0 control over what attack I'm using

it's just too frustrating for me

I shouldn't have played it in hard expecting it to be bayonetta-good

denx

I've been keeping an eye out for a public app/sub that falls within the range but I haven't seen anything yet.

half of those will be for EA games, the other half will be regional subs and special editions for Wheelman. Believe!
Having that many regional subs for Wheelman would be terrible, but you sure would like it. ;)

Btw, I re-installed Origin. I'm a terrible person.

FloatOn

okay here's the thing:

my laptop is a piece of shit from circa 2005 (I think) and after tonight's class it is abundantly clear that either a tablet or a laptop will be extremely beneficial to my academic success. therefore it occurs to me that if I do indeed get a laptop so many of the old steam games I have on my account are more likely to get played since my gaming pc is hooked up to my tv. The problem lies in these old games tiny UIs not so much in the gameplay, so I'm pretty excited about the prospect of gaming while waiting for classes to start.

I maaaay be able to squeeze in a $500 or less laptop into the budget (or potentially more depending on financial aid). I haven't followed laptops in awhile and do keep in my the games I would want to play on it can probably be run on a toaster at this point but are there any laptops in the 500 or less range that are universally praised?

I'll probably cross post this in the gaming laptop thread as well.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
okay here's the thing:

my laptop is a piece of shit from circa 2005 (I think) and after tonight's class it is abundantly clear that either a tablet or a laptop will be extremely beneficial to my academic success. therefore it occurs to me that if I do indeed get a laptop so many of the old steam games I have on my account are more likely to get played since my gaming pc is hooked up to my tv. The problem lies in these old games tiny UIs not so much in the gameplay, so I'm pretty excited about the prospect of gaming while waiting for classes to start.

I maaaay be able to squeeze in a $500 or less laptop into the budget (or potentially more depending on financial aid). I haven't followed laptops in awhile and do keep in my the games I would want to play on it can probably be run on a toaster at this point but are there any laptops in the 500 or less range that are universally praised?

I'll probably cross post this in the gaming laptop thread as well.

Just find a cheap laptop with at least Intel hd graphics 4000 or above and you'll be alright.

Colin.

The latter seems more likely to me since Ubi sees 100% of the revenue, and seeing as all internal Ubi games from AssCreed 2 onwards use Uplay even on Steam, it's not losing anything by offering a Steam key as a purchase option.

I know Valve get a percentage of each game sold directly through Steam, but not sure how it works with keys, if they get anything at all from it. Never really thought much about that before. Since each game redeemed and downloaded is reliant on their servers.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
While I'm glad Steam Family Options is out of Beta, I'm sadden they didn't do anything about requests for being able to set controls based off time. Many of us with children want the ability to limit how much time can be spent or set it up the ability to play for only particular times of day,

JaseC

Grief.exe

I know Valve get a percentage of each game sold directly through Steam, but not sure how it works with keys, if they get anything at all from it. Never really thought much about that before. Since each game redeemed and downloaded is reliant on their servers.

Its how they have fostered this competition on the PC space, its really quite interesting.

Suddenly? Wasn't it on the same page? Or wait, I'm using 100 posts per page, my bad if I dragged it up from the abyss.

Which is def the best part of emulation. I played through half of Tales of Destiny like that, it's awesome (speaking of which, I should prob finish that someday soon...)

Also, is it just me, or does Super Hexagon on higher difficulties induce a little motion sickness? I dunno if I can keep playing the game if it's just going to get worse.

Nah, I was just wondering what prompted it... yes, same page, I just was wondering what made whoever bought the topic up bring it up in the first place. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom