• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sentenza

I think Ubi may have realised that it'd be a good idea to sell Steam keys:

- Assassin's Creed 2 - Standard Retail
- Assassin's Creed Revelations Retail
- The Settlers 7 Retail
- Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction Retail

The AssCreed 2 sub aside, which was renamed from Assassin's Creed 2 Comp, they're merely 3~4 hours old, so they didn't just jump to the front of the registry due to yet another general backend update on Valve's part.

The latter seems more likely to me since Ubi sees 100% of the revenue, and seeing as all internal Ubi games from AssCreed 2 onwards use Uplay even on Steam, it's not losing anything by offering a Steam key as a purchase option.

Edit: I think these are also Ubi's: 36820, 36821, 36822, 36823, 36824, 36825, 36826, 36827 and 36828. Numerically they follow on from the aforementioned Settlers 7 sub and were updated at about the same time.
I want to believe and take it as a sign that they are finally preparing to abandon the sinking ship (UPlay).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I want to believe and take it as a sign that they are finally preparing to abandon the sinking ship (UPlay).

Even though nobody uses Uplay for third-party games, I think it'll be around for as long as Ubi has a tentpole franchise to support it, which at this juncture is AssCreed.

Edit: No response from Bethesda yet. :( I hope I haven't been ignored. On a related note, last night I dreamt that I received a retail copy of Quake Wars from one of my dad's friends who, for some reason, happened "to see [my] e-mail" and it registered on Steam.

JSoup

Banned
So, can't think of a way to gently segue into this but could I trouble someone for an invite to the NeoGaf Steam group?

Steam: JSoup

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Played about 2 hours of Iesabel tonight. The game is... not very fun.

It's really rough - certain sections of the map that look completely passable aren't, making it difficult to move around at all. Then, the equipment is split into both "Barbarian" and "Witch" classed items, but they almost all look completely identical. Unlike most games in the genre, you have to click on an item to see what it is, rather than the usual (now expected) mouse hover. Quests are confusing and are often pointless. The achievements are laughable ("Complete Act 2 without running" - WHY????)

I feel like $3.74 is maybe even asking a little too much for this game. I've honestly played better Diablo clones that were $0.99 on Android. And it's certainly not in the same league as Path of Exile, Torchlight, or even Diablo 3.

JaseC

On the other hand, they aren't exactly explicit in telling you that you can enter keys from other retailers/how to enter keys. A casual user probably would never know.

I'd say even a casual user can infer from the "Activate a Product on Steam" function of the client that certain keys can register on Steam. A simple Google search for "Steam redeem key" leads to this page, which itself leads to this page (although it's not exactly comprehensive).

mannerbot

Teleglitch seems pretty fun. Strangely, even though it has some ardent supporters on GAF, it seems nobody's really played very much of it.

JSoup

Banned
I'd say even a casual user can infer from the "Activate a Product on Steam" function of the client that certain keys can register on Steam. A simple Google search for "Steam redeem key" leads to this page, which itself leads to this page (although it's not exactly comprehensive).

When I was new to Steam, I figured it out on my own. It seems intuitive enough, click on the heading that says Games to access Games, then activate a product to activate a product.

Teleglitch seems pretty fun. Strangely, even though it has some ardent supporters on GAF, it seems nobody's really played very much of it.

It's hard ;-;

Although do know that the vast majority of the achievements were added a few weeks after release, it started out with just a few for beating the game and the like.

Backlogger

While I'm glad Steam Family Options is out of Beta, I'm sadden they didn't do anything about requests for being able to set controls based off time. Many of us with children want the ability to limit how much time can be spent or set it up the ability to play for only particular times of day,

Amen to this. Windows 8 has some stuff built into it for this though but having it built I to the Steam client would provide more flexibility

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Tis true one would eventually find activating a product on Steam just by trying the different options, I'm sure there are some that still don't know that means "activate a key/redeem a code" thanks to terminology confusion.

If Valve wanted, they could make it more apparent and clear, say a link with image on the store home page just as big as the "Gifting on Steam" or "Install Steam Now".

So, can't think of a way to gently segue into this but could I trouble someone for an invite to the NeoGaf Steam group?

Steam: JSoup

Is that a Kamen Rider Stronger monster as your profile picture?

JaseC

How do you add users to your family share?

Sign in on the PC you wish to share games with, then click Steam -> Settings -> Family -> Authorise this computer. Up to 10 accounts local to the system can be authorised.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
yup, not a big fan of mgr

playing it on hard was a big mistake

I don't enjoy the mechanics of the game at all

You can restart the level you are on on a lower difficulty level I believe. The spectacle is worth it. I don't get why people force harder difficulties on themselves.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
You can restart the level you are on on a lower difficulty level I believe. The spectacle is worth it. I don't get why people force harder difficulties on themselves.
No need to replay later for the harder achievement. Usually beating it on hard gives easy, normal achievements too so its less work.

zkylon

zkylewd
This is the 1%. Don't be afraid to change difficulty. No one is pointing a gun at your head forcing you to play on hard.
I probably will

didn't know you could change difficulty mid-game

my enjoyment of far cry blood dragon increased ten fold when I switched it down to normal

some games are just annoying when made difficult

Cth

I have no regrets with buying Pool Nation. Pretty large for a pool game though at 16gb. In terms of gameplay, it is probably the smoothest and most accurate pool game I've ever played. If like me, you enjoyed playing flash pool games online in the past, then this will serve you well. I've not tried the online mode yet, so I'm not sure how well that runs.

Wow. I was really interested, but 16 gigs?!? I just freed up enough space for XCOM..

Any other impressions?

because 99% of modern games are super easy on normal
To be fair on your selection MGR is also super easy on normal, at least in the context of Japanese character action games. I thought hard had a pretty satisfying difficulty curve overall that was more akin to what I'd expect from normal. What are you having problems with?

zkylon

zkylewd
also I was hoping this game would be better. yes, every time a character opens their mouth the most hilarious nonsense comes out of it and everything is super cool shit but the gameplay itself was pretty disappointing for me

I wanted dmc3 and got dmc4. it's not awful but I'm not gonna replay it for ages

To be fair on your selection MGR is also super easy on normal, at least in the context of Japanese character action games. I thought hard had a pretty satisfying difficulty curve overall that was more akin to what I'd expect from normal. What are you having problems with?

to be honest, I just don't like it

don't like how mashy it feels (my brother told me not to bother with combos so I basically just mash whenever I'm allowed to damage enemies), I hate the lock-on system, the sai and the scissors thingies suck hard (the polearm is pretty great tho) and I just don't feel like I'm doing anything special or that I'm getting better or learning anything.

pretty much what happens to me with god of war, it feels like it's all show and no substance

yup, not a big fan of mgr

playing it on hard was a big mistake

I don't enjoy the mechanics of the game at all

I has some frustrating moments with my first playthrough on hard. I think most of the people recommending beginners start on that difficulty themselves didn't and are just talking out of their asses. Had a great time on my second playthrough, though.

JaseC

Oh Uplay, you're so funny.

2014-01-14_0000116rx1.jpg

zkylon

zkylewd
I has some frustrating moments with my first playthrough on hard. I think most of the people recommending beginners start on that difficulty themselves didn't and are just talking out of their asses. Had a great time on my second playthrough, though.

actually in hindsight my brother kind of hinted at hard diff being pretty hard so I might've done good to pay heed to that

also I was hoping this game would be better. yes, every time a character opens their mouth the most hilarious nonsense comes out of it and everything is super cool shit but the gameplay itself was pretty disappointing for me

I wanted dmc3 and got dmc4. it's not awful but I'm not gonna replay it for ages

to be honest, I just don't like it

don't like how mashy it feels (my brother told me not to bother with combos so I basically just mash whenever I'm allowed to damage enemies), I hate the lock-on system, the sai and the scissors thingies suck hard (the polearm is pretty great tho) and I just don't feel like I'm doing anything special or that I'm getting better or learning anything.

pretty much what happens to me with god of war, it feels like it's all show and no substance
That's fair. I find that my enjoyment of Rising is similar to how I enjoyed God Hand the gen prior, it's a simple game, level design isn't much to speak of, characters and story are ridiculous and don't take themselves seriously, and that encounters were always easy to grasp but satisfying to play out. Yeah, I wouldn't equate the game to scratching the same itch as DMC3 (or even Bayonetta), the combat isn't much about weapon variety or anything like that. You just gotta enjoy going in and being a cyborg ninja in a slice of the Metal Gear universe set out to combat that.

Personally it's my favourite Platinum game because of that pared down focus. That, and the novelty of slicing enemies into dynamic pieces never got old for me.

Jusoni

How's Nidhogg? It seemed pretty fun in Total biscuits quick look. How much content it has? Demo would be nice, as it is pretty expensive for a indie I've never heard of.

JaseC

Anyone interested in splitting a Nidhogg two-pack? I can get one for $9.50 ($4.75 each).

Edit: Sorted.

zkylon

zkylewd
That's fair. I find that my enjoyment of Rising is similar to how I enjoyed God Hand the gen prior, it's a simple game, level design isn't much to speak of, characters and story are ridiculous and don't take themselves seriously, and that encounters were always easy to grasp but satisfying to play out. Yeah, I wouldn't equate the game to scratching the same itch as DMC3 (or even Bayonetta), the combat isn't much about weapon variety or anything like that. You just gotta enjoy going in and being a cyborg ninja in a slice of the Metal Gear universe set out to combat that.

Personally it's my favourite Platinum game because of that pared down focus. That, and the novelty of slicing enemies into dynamic pieces never got old for me.

yea I'm probably gonna dial it up to normal (I just beat a level so no need to replay big chunks of game) and try to just have fun with it

I can usually tolerate a lot before getting annoyed but something about the camera, the shallow combo system and some encounters just frustrated me and now I'm kind of jaded when I choose to go and launch the game.

I really like the boss battles, tho, and all the insanity platinum came up with. pmcs making child cyborg killer machines by stealing their brains and uhhh something something killing all the police in denver? who came up with this shit, it's fucking amazing

but I think I've gotten to a point where every japanese game I play on pc just makes me wish I could trade them all for bayonetta :p

Anyone interested in splitting a Nidhogg two-pack? I can get one for $9.50 ($4.75 each).
don't tempt me babe

this guy I know who's judgement is as solid as it gets loves that game and that's cheap, but with broken age and that other game coming up tomorrow I just can't afford the time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom