• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eanan

Dont be so crual.. Im sorry guys, tonight i'll giveaway those winning games including some more.

I feel ashamed already by skipping those imp rules

You would have continued though should you not have been called out on it by Jason Bourne.

I am dissapoint sunny jim

liezryou

Dont be so crual.. Im sorry guys, tonight i'll giveaway those winning games including some more.

Explain the taking 2 to the moons and taking brothers after having it for weeks please. I would like to know what went on in your head when you entered those giveaways. "Hey these guys are sucker white people, let me just exploit their free giveaways for my own benefit."

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Feed him to Hitomi
1363081711775_zps7bf8c523.gif

cicero

Explain the taking 2 to the moons and taking brothers after having it for weeks please. I would like to know what went on in your head when you entered those giveaways. "Hey these guys are sucker white people, let me just exploit their free giveaways for my own benefit."

Were those the only ones?

Coldsun

Banned

What exactly is cruel about punishing for rule violations? Preventing you from benefiting from modbot is well within an expected outcome, it isn't like it'd ban you from the forums entirely.. (unless you're only here for the games..)

liezryou

We should have jshakles and stump combine their efforts and make it so modbot can cross reference games you already have on steam and/or won already and then auto-ban them from giveaway. We can call it.... enhanced modbot!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
We should have jshakles and stump combine their efforts and make it so modbot can cross reference games you already have on steam and/or won already and then auto-ban them from giveaway. We can call it.... enhanced modbot!

We have come up with cases where people forgot they owned some of those games they won until they went to redeem. Those would be affected and they usually give back keys or make giveaways. I do agree on once you have won the game from gaf more than 1 time then block/ban away.

Milamber

is there a list of everyone who's in this somewhere?

Oh no...

FIRST ROW
1. Suminoe Ako from KissXSis
3. Ika Musume from Shinryaku! Ika Musume
4. Illyasviel von Einzbern from Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya
5. Scanty from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt
8. Suiseiseki from Rozen Maiden
11. Katsuragi Misato from Shinseiki Evangelion
12. Bulma from Dragon Ball
14. Shiranui Hansode from Medaka Box

I'm gonna quit while ahead.

liezryou

We have come up with cases where people forgot they owned some of those games they won until they went to redeem. Those would be affected and they usually give back keys or make giveaways. I do agree on once you have won the game from gaf more than 1 time then block/ban away.

Well then they would never have entered that giveaway in the first place if enhanced modbot stopped them; saving everyone the headache!

Arthea

Exactly! then there are mystery games, both times I won those, these were games I already owned. So I gave them away again.
No system is perfect, our modbod is quite good, and bad apples get picked out with time anyway.

Gaf,

I did it. I finally bought myself a computer capable enough to handle PC games. I decided I wasn't going to buy a console this generation- and instead, I was going to Big Picture Mode it. I bought a new 55" 1080p last year to begin my transition and now it is almost complete.

evil-laugh.png

Now, I do travel for work quite a bit so I had to go with a laptop. I know I know.. I paid the same price for something I could have bought more powerful, etc. I ended up with the Asus G750JX. i7-4700HQ, GTX 770m, 16GB RAM, and bought an SSD to replace the HD. It should be here today!

Now, a couple questions:

1) Controller. I only have PS3 controllers ( I may have an Xbox360 one in the attic, can't confirm yet). Will the native bluetooth 4.0 on a laptop pick up the PS3 controller? I have got it working on my old laptop as a test through USB, but my old laptop doesn't have bluetooth so I can't test it out. I have messed with MotionInJoy so I know that works. Am I better off just going to target or something and picking up a $20 blue tooth controller?

2) Games! In preparation for this transition, I bought the follow games over the last couple sales that are controller compatible:

Spelunky
Mark of the Ninja
Rogue Legacy
Don't Starve (maybe controller now as of Nov 2013?)
Mirror's Edge (hopeful)

I know they are mostly indie games. I have purposely not played them in anticipation of my new system and Big Picture support. Am I missing any big titles? I am probably going to pick up Guacamelee to add to that indie collection.

Just looking for some other good ones to add :) Oh and I already played Skyrim on the Ps3 a bit- but I am thinking about double dipping on the PC since I can run it on ultra on that machine and I haven't played any of the DLC and obviously now I can play with mods.

Thanks for all advice up front.

NINJA EDIT: Should I double dip Dark Souls on the PC? I have put a number of hours on the PS3 but I am not sure how well it ported to PC. Multiplayer alive and well? On PS3 I enjoyed playing as a sun bro and helping folks :)

Copons

Well then they would never have entered that giveaway in the first place if enhanced modbot stopped them; saving everyone the headache!

Well no, it can happen and I think that's nothing wrong.

I mean, I once entered a raffle of a game (the first eXceed) because I just didn't noticed that it was the bonus game in the Groupees Doujin Bundle.
Of course I came up clean as soon as I discovered it and, of course #2, I won the raffle. Gave back the key to the giver (or asked him what to do, I don't remember if he then let me give it away myself), no harm done.

I believe in these times of bundles that get updates every other day, it is a concrete possibility that less careful people enter giveaways of games they already own in good faith.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I sent to this to a GAFer almost three years ago, after the Portal 2 early release ARG, but apparently he never claimed it:

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Team Fortress Classic -- MB-5011AE6D39B12E15 - Taken by liezryou

Zeknurn

Modbot ought to have Papers, please like checks where you need to provide the correct documentation and answers to gain access.

liezryou

Well no, it can happen and I think that's nothing wrong.

I mean, I once entered a raffle of a game (the first eXceed) because I just didn't noticed that it was the bonus game in the Groupees Doujin Bundle.
Of course I came up clean as soon as I discovered it and, of course #2, I won the raffle. Gave back the key to the giver (or asked him what to do, I don't remember if he then let me give it away myself), no harm done.

I believe in these times of bundles that get updates every other day, it is a concrete possibility that less careful people enter giveaways of games they already own in good faith.

No doubt. I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying if they enter ban them totally from modbot. I'm saying even if they try to enter unknowingly enhanced modbot can just ignore their entry much like it does when a lurker tries to enter a nolurker giveaway.

cicero

Not everyone likes to sign in while using enhanced steam. Not everyone likes to make their profile public.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
You would have continued though should you not have been called out on it by Jason Bourne.

JBourne is actually just my first initial and my real last name. Also, my dad named me after the character in this gif:

6frhxwA.gif

He really likes that movie.

liezryou

I sent to this to a GAFer almost three years ago, after the Portal 2 early release ARG, but apparently he never claimed it:

Thanks for this, i don't know how i don't have it. I thought it would have came with orange box :/.

Not everyone likes to sign in while using enhanced steam. Not everyone likes to make their profile public.

#1) My post was more joking then serious.
#2) You don't have to sign in using enhanced steam, you can use steam API.
#3) Even if you sign in using steam API, you can code it to where no one can see your profile except the entity needing it (enhanced modbot).

milena87

Gaf,

Now, a couple questions:

1) Controller. I only have PS3 controllers ( I may have an Xbox360 one in the attic, can't confirm yet). Will the native bluetooth 4.0 on a laptop pick up the PS3 controller? I have got it working on my old laptop as a test through USB, but my old laptop doesn't have bluetooth so I can't test it out. I have messed with MotionInJoy so I know that works. Am I better off just going to target or something and picking up a $20 blue tooth controller?

2) Games! In preparation for this transition, I bought the follow games over the last couple sales that are controller compatible:

Spelunky
Mark of the Ninja
Rogue Legacy
Mirror's Edge (hopeful)

I know they are mostly indie games. I have purposely not played them in anticipation of my new system and Big Picture support. Am I missing any big titles? I am probably going to pick up Guacamelee to add to that indie collection.

Just looking for some other good ones to add :) Oh and I already played Skyrim on the Ps3 a bit- but I am thinking about double dipping on the PC since I can run it on ultra on that machine and I haven't played any of the DLC and obviously now I can play with mods.

NINJA EDIT: Should I double dip Dark Souls on the PC? I have put a number of hours on the PS3 but I am not sure how well it ported to PC. Multiplayer alive and well? On PS3 I enjoyed playing as a sun bro and helping folks :)

Don't know about the PS3 controller, as I have an Xbox 360. I'm sure others will be more helpful.

Regarding games: one that comes to mind immediately is Alan Wake. You can find it pretty cheap, as it's often on sale along with its sequel (American Nightmare).

Double dip on Dark Souls is up to you, but I can tell you that you can definitely see the difference between the Xbox 360 (the version I had) and the PC with Durante's fix (mandatory) and some (optional) mods. edit: MP is not dead, but it's true that I encountered a lot more people on the Xbox.
Skyrim is also really different from consoles and there are tons of mods, so you might lose yourself for a while :p

Knurek

The port is serviceable, and can look lovely with Durante's fix. You'll need some work to eliminate screen tearing though (I needed to use RadeonPro).
What it has over PS3 version is better framerate in Blighttown (locked 30 fps instead of 15 fps console players had to contend with) and free DLC expansion included.

You can also download a patch that will change on-screen prompts from X360 to PS buttons, if you'd rather play with Dualshock.

Arthea

Spelunky
Mark of the Ninja
Rogue Legacy
Mirror's Edge (hopeful)

1. I would advise Xbox360 wired controller.
2. There are so many games on steam, that it would be better to know what kind of games you like, before advising anything.

About DS: I would wait and see if GFWL is patched out before double dipping.

also I'm jealous of your 55", a little ;)

Coldsun

Banned
VikasNarula's Winnings:
Little Inferno -- MB-F49FDF8D2AE7DED0 - Taken by VikasNarula
Torchlight -- MB-BEF23435954077A4 - Taken by VikasNarula
Cogs -- MB-D91B781257595B02 - Taken by VikasNarula
39 Steps -- MB-37FA096FAF08AC7A - Taken by VikasNarula
Shank 2 -- MB-F71AC7BC9CA847BE - Taken by VikasNarula
Joe Danger 2: The Movie -- MB-EFBD0C69074A0D60 - Taken by VikasNarula
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2 -- MB-77ED78316E53BE05 - Taken by VikasNarula
Uplink -- MB-2432C5C64A4FB401 - Taken by VikasNarula
To The Moon -- MB-FA4080C5C9854C8C - Taken by VikasNarula
Papo & Yo -- MB-F94E07FB79E00944 - Taken by VikasNarula
To the Moon -- MB-0306728866DF1980 - Taken by VikasNarula
Blades of Time Limited Edition -- MB-6FC05F3C809F014A - Taken by VikasNarula
Plain Sight -- MB-9BCFB5B811200B1F - Taken by VikasNarula
Gunman Clive -- MB-C47E1BE2D22DCDDE - Taken by VikasNarula
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One -- MB-73B183B7B1B9A8AC - Taken by VikasNarula
Solar 2 -- MB-4D4F7EEAC9EB75AA - Taken by VikasNarula
Mark of the Ninja -- MB-0EEBEA32D96B6E93 - Taken by VikasNarula
Payday 2 A Merry Payday Christmas Soundtrack DLC #3 -- MB-FB9BEFE1266422E7 - Taken by VikasNarula
Unknown Game - MB-21DABBE2DCA35AAE - Taken by VikasNarula
Really Big Sky -- MB-27F771F671E5A30E - Taken by VikasNarula
Deponia -- MB-9711860E3B34EF79 - Taken by VikasNarula.
Commandos 3 -- MB-4D55AAC23469D0B3
Nightsky -- MB-5B99DD1382B865BC - Taken by VikasNarula
Zen Bound 2 -- MB-02BD87CE8295EB90 - Taken by VikasNarula

Haven't gotten around to checking his steam profile to see which of these hes actually claimed and there's probably a few other games hes claimed. *shrug*

Caerith

I think that what he means is that you can't win the same game more then once. The modbot keeps track of the games you already won, right?

ModBot has a hard time telling Brothers and Two Brothers apart, and that's not even considering the cutesy giveaways like "maybe it's Brothers maybe it's Bad Rats."

It's up to us to be vigilant is all and use the permablock feature spam reaction gifs when someone who brags about being "dangerously observant... with incredibly smart wits" claims ignorance after being caught in flagrante delicto.

Now, a couple questions:

Don't use motioninjoy. Follow these steps: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59385385&postcount=102 and it should just "work" (but bluetooth is bluetooth so good luck). This will emulate a 360 controller without further hassles or having to use the MIJ UI.

Multiplayer has never been all that active on PC (compared to PS3) but you should still do ok. In general it is well worth double dipping, it can almost feel like a new game with mods if you have powerful enough hardware (check out Durante's work obviously and the dark souls nexus).

Good luck with the rest of your games. You have a great starting point.

cicero

JBourne is actually just my first initial and my real last name. Also, my dad named me after the character in this gif:

6frhxwA.gif

He really likes that movie.

Jeremiah Johnson! I am a fan of that movie too. Moreso the stories about the actual man it was based on though, Liver-Eating Johnson. I think if Robert Redford had cut out and ate the livers of all the indian braves he killed to keep them from going into the afterlife, it would have made for a much more touching and poignant movie. The story about how he escaped from Blackfoot warriors, who planned on selling him to the Crow indians, by knocking down his young guard, cutting off the guard's leg, and then using that leg as tasty fast food on the go as he made his escape to his cabin 200 miles away? Classic Robert Redford type material, and yes, poignant as hell.

1. I would advise Xbox360 wired controller.
2. There are so many games on steam, that it would be better to know what kind of games you like, before advising anything.

About DS: I would wait and see if GFWL is patched out before double dipping.

also I'm jealous of your 55", a little ;)

1) Oh how I would loath having a cable stretching from the TV across the living room to my couch.

2) RPG and Platformers. Survival Horrors are also a big plus- so the Alan Wake recommendation is one I will look at. I enjoy strategy games as well, but they don't lend themselves to controller play so we can nix that. :)

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
Jeremiah Johnson! I am a fan of that movie too. Moreso the stories about the actual man it was based on though, Liver-Eating Johnson. I think if Robert Redford had cut out and ate the livers of all the indian braves he killed to keep them from going into the afterlife, it would have made for a much more touching and poignant movie. The story about how he escaped from Blackfoot warriors, who planned on selling him to the Crow indians, by knocking down his young guard, cutting off the guard's leg, and then using that leg as tasty fast food on the go as he made his escape to his cabin 200 miles away? Classic Robert Redford type material, and yes, poignant as hell.

I'd like to imagine that my dad knew about all that stuff when he chose my name. He's funny like that. I could see him laughing at the idea of naming his son after a cannibal.

Arthea

1) Oh how I would loath having a cable stretching from the TV across the living room to my couch.

2) RPG and Platformers. Survival Horrors are also a big plus- so the Alan Wake recommendation is one I will look at. I enjoy strategy games as well, but they don't lend themselves to controller play so we can nix that. :)

I have no problem with that *shrugs*
It's still very convenient.
(also a cable for some reason is really long, what pleases me immensely)

Ya, there is no reason to play strategy games with controller, at least I never saw one. If you are into platformers, I pity you, there are thousands of them on steam, as I'm not into them, so someone else will make you sorry for mentioning it :)
As for RPGs, there are so many of those, I wouldn't know where to start advising, but if you haven't played Dust: An Elysian Tail yet, check it out!

cicero

VikasNarula's Winnings:

Haven't gotten around to checking his steam profile to see which of these hes actually claimed and there's probably a few other games hes claimed. *shrug*

I was kind of hoping my question might have prompted him to respond himself instead. I might as well throw this in now though...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96906365&postcount=10954
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2 -- MB-77ED78316E53BE05 - Taken by VikasNarula. 6 entrants total.

t1389593991z1.png

And yet you have achievements for this game unlocked on:
Unlocked: Sep 13, 2013 12:07pm:
and
19.1 hrs on record

http://steamcommunity.com/id/vikasnarula/games/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom