• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeknurn

If the game is anything to go by, we'd still get situations like this, but instead with bombs.

Due to recent terrorist attacks against the Great People's Republic of Steam all applicants are now required to provide a valid letter of intent for gaining access to Modbot.

Glory to Steam.

Copons

No doubt. I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying if they enter ban them totally from modbot. I'm saying even if they try to enter unknowingly enhanced modbot can just ignore their entry much like it does when a lurker tries to enter a nolurker giveaway.

Ah ok then.
Ignoring people who already won that game would be an optimal solution, but it's impossible to put it in practice, due of the fact that everybody name their games in different ways.
Like, "FTL", "Faster Than Light", "FTL: Faster Than Light", "Mystery Game #42", "Rad Bats but in fact it's FTL", etc.

Also, I'd hate to see ModBot mutilated because of some rotten apples, as it'd seem too much like real life laws, where everybody pay for few people's faults. :D

I have no problem with that *shrugs*
It's still very convenient.
(also a cable for some reason is really long, what pleases me immensely)

Ya, there is no reason to play strategy games with controller, at least I never saw one. If you are into platformers, I pity you, there are thousands of them on steam, as I'm not into them, so someone else will make you sorry for mentioning it :)
As for RPGs, there are so many of those, I wouldn't know where to start advising, but if you haven't played Dust: An Elysian Tail yet, check it out!

I have not played Dust yet. Adding it to my wishlist :) Thanks a ton.

The reason a cable would bother me is I have a recently-turned-1-year-old daughter who has figured out to walk the last 2 weeks. Our bottom bookshelves have been emptied, entertainment center is locked.

Coldsun

Banned
Also, I'd hate to see ModBot mutilated because of some rotten apples, as it'd seem too much like real life laws, where everybody pay for few people's faults. :D

Since there's also a rule in the give-aways saying not to give them away for personal benefit, I agree it seems like just enforcing the rule would be better than adding a new rule. It seems fellow GAF are quite adapt at bringing offenders to light.

Additionally, as Dusk Golem mentioned sometimes mistakes happen and it'd be a shame to be punished for them.

Now, I'm not saying that in this case it was an accident. He didn't claim he didn't know he already owned the games, he merely said he didn't know of the rule (even though its.. err listed on most every give-away).

If he's to be blacklisted is entirely up to the mods, but I definitely am curious to see how this plays out as I'm sure it won't be the last time someone attempts to grab multiple repeated keys.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
We could use a reputation system for the giveaways. This could be done over google docs kinda like the BUY/SELL/TRADE thread.

People will all start with 100% of reputation. The reputation would be divided by 3 colors
GREEN: Good (100%-75%)
YELLOW: Danger (74%-50%)
RED: Banned (49%-0)
(or whatever values get used by the mods)

Your reputation could go lower by
  • Winning games you already won before on Gaf (You can check games you have won by sending a message to ModBot with the header my loot but if you return them you should be fine and no penalty given or minor)
  • Not returning the games you have already won (If you return them you will not get the penalty unless you take a lot of time to do so)
  • If someone finds out (Insert Username) is selling the keys he/she won online report them with the evidence to the team handling the list.
  • Not delivering goods from your giveaway or not solving issues if there is any.
More rules should be implemented by the team. These penalties will have different values set by the moderators of the list which should be explained on the thread OP or have its own thread or post

By your reputation getting lower (Based on Color) you would basically have less chances of winning at Modbot and eventually reaching red numbers you would get banned from the giveaways.

Now I shall sleep as I havent slept all night and Im probably making no sense.

Arthea

I have not played Dust yet. Adding it to my wishlist :) Thanks a ton.

The reason a cable would bother me is I have a recently-turned-1-year-old daughter who has figured out to walk the last 2 weeks. Our bottom bookshelves have been emptied, entertainment center is locked.

The best way to get wishlist full of great games is this thread and adding a lot of gaffers and paying attention to activity feed, inspite of popular beliefs, steamgaf plays a lot of games and reviews them on regular basis.
mindblowing, I know!

I can see how wired is not an option for you :)

liezryou

I was kind of hoping my question might have prompted him to respond himself instead. I might as well throw this in now though...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=96906365&postcount=10954

And yet you have achievements for this game unlocked on:

and

Wow so many games he has taken and probably retraded away. What a tool, doesn't even have the decency to own up to it or regift. He just says in some chopped up version of english that u don't have to be crual and some bullshit justification about giving away on other sites. I'm starting to wonder how many new/junior members have been doing the same exact thing we just have yet to discover.

Sad, but this is why we can't have nice things. Because of people like him.

Caerith

Jeremiah Johnson! I am a fan of that movie too. Moreso the stories about the actual man it was based on though, Liver-Eating Johnson. I think if Robert Redford had cut out and ate the livers of all the indian braves he killed to keep them from going into the afterlife, it would have made for a much more touching and poignant movie. The story about how he escaped from Blackfoot warriors, who planned on selling him to the Crow indians, by knocking down his young guard, cutting off the guard's leg, and then using that leg as tasty fast food on the go as he made his escape to his cabin 200 miles away? Classic Robert Redford type material, and yes, poignant as hell.
I suspect Cannibal Johnson from New Vegas is based on him.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Wow so many games he has taken and probably retraded away. What a tool, doesn't even have the decency to own up to it or regift. He just says in some chopped up indian version of english that u don't have to be crual and some bullshit justification about giving away on other sites. I'm starting to wonder how many new/junior members have been doing the same exact thing we just have yet to discover.

Not many, at least until the steam thread 6 there were less than 5 users you could say were "abusing" the system IMO. All jrs or users registered on 2013. It sucks because most jrs are cool in my book and it hurts the purpose of Modbot.

liezryou

Well that's really wierd... I left blackguards to dl overnight. It was finished 8.9GB/10GB, i paused it for a little bit so i could play some dota2. After i stopped playing and resumed it, it is now at 3.7GB/10GB. WTF GABEN Y U TAKE MY BANDWITH?

Arthea

guys, you are making too big deal out of it. When games were given old ways, we had no control over who takes them at all, with modbot we have ways to blacklist people, to exclude those who don't give away and so on. And you want even more control over it. When it will end? What about people with private profiles? They can't be tracked, and so on.
I don't mind if someone takes a game for a friend, especially if it's a game everybody has already and it would be wasted otherwise. As it was mentioned earlier, people do make mistakes, even if they try not to, it's hard not to make while having insane amount of games (><)
And I don't think we should lower our standards to accommodate ways to punish worst of us. Do you?

Whoa Bioshock has taken a price hike lol.
bioshocku2rxh.png

Ban Puncher

guys, you are making too big deal out of it. When games were given old ways, we had no control over who takes them at all, with modbot we have ways to blacklist people, to exclude those who don't give away and so on. And you want even more control over it. When it will end? What about people with private profiles? They can't be tracked, and so on.
I don't mind if someone takes a game for a friend, especially if it's a game everybody has already and it would be wasted otherwise. As it was mentioned earlier, people do make mistakes, even if they try not to, it's hard not to make while having insane amount of games (><)
And I don't think we should lower our standards to accommodate ways to punish worst of us. Do you?

I'm with you. Although if someone does get caught slippin' from pulling a bunch of keys from raffles for personal or monetary profit off-site, they should be dragged kicking and screaming onto the blacklist for a timeout.

Coldsun

Banned

I don't think modbot needs to be changed at all. It works fine as is, and theres already rules listed there. However, I disagree that we shouldn't punish those who break the rules.
We're not talking about giving away a game to a friend here. I doub't anyone here has a problem with that, because as you said, at least the key is going to be used.

We're talking about blatant disregard for the "Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself." rule. If there are no repercussions, then that portion shouldn't be included. Trading games on redit that you win here is most certainly against that policy.

cicero

Wow so many games he has taken and probably retraded away. What a tool, doesn't even have the decency to own up to it or regift. He just says in some chopped up indian version of english that u don't have to be crual and some bullshit justification about giving away on other sites. I'm starting to wonder how many new/junior members have been doing the same exact thing we just have yet to discover.

I'm not going to assume his intent was nefarious at this point, if they were being sold or retraded, then yes. What he seemed to be showing in that FB picture of his was that he was making his own giveaways for his friends or other communities using the gifts he received here. I could either take that to be something disingenuously done in a cynical manner, or behavior that was the result of a lack of knowledge and very poor judgement.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains

I didn't want to discuss it anymore, but I'll chime in with a +1 to this. Modbot doesn't require anymore rules. It's already a great system to do giveaways. It's easy to spot when someone is abusing it. I didn't want to be the one to call out Vikas, as we don't really need the drama, but I've been sketched out by the insane amount of raffles he's won since he started posting in the Steam thread. I couldn't believe no one else was noticing.

Knurek

I personally miss those 'draw some stupid shit in paint' contests, and would rather have giveaways like that tbh.

The best way to get wishlist full of great games is this thread and adding a lot of gaffers and paying attention to activity feed, inspite of popular beliefs, steamgaf plays a lot of games and reviews them on regular basis.
mindblowing, I know!

I can see how wired is not an option for you :)

Well then, what is your steam ID so I can add you? :p

NM, found it in your profile :)

Coldsun

Banned
I'm not going to assume his intent was nefarious at this point, if they were being sold or retraded, then yes.
http://www.reddit.com/r/SteamGameSwap/comments/1u161i/h_the_ship_2_pack_w_the_swapper/

He tried to use items won here ((The ship and PAYDAY 2: A Merry Payday Christmas Soundtrack (came from JaseC's giveaway)) to trade for other items.

Honestly though, I don't have a horse in the race. Just don't want his 1 screenshot be proof that he wasn't being nefarious. I can't stand dishonest people.

Arthea

I don't think modbot needs to be changed at all. It works fine as is, and theres already rules listed there. However, I disagree that we shouldn't punish those who break the rules.
We're not talking about giving away a game to a friend here. I doub't anyone here has a problem with that, because as you said, at least the key is going to be used.

We're talking about blatant disregard for the "Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself." rule. If there are no repercussions, then that portion shouldn't be included. Trading games on redit that you win here is most certainly against that policy.

I have nothing against blacklisting ability we have, some people really need to be blacklisted, there is no way around it, unfortunately. I think that is punishment enough.
I was just talking about some other suggestions here.

I've made clear my thoughts on the subject or gifting before, so won't go into it again.

I will say though, that public witch hunts don't seem to do anybody any good. I believe rather than posting gifs, making unsavoury comments or digging up game won lists, it would be better to PM the person and explain what is expected of them so they can hopefully turn it around.

Coldsun

Banned
I have nothing again blacklisting ability we have, some people really need to be blacklisted, there is no way around it, unfortunately. I think that is punishment enough.
I was just talking about some other suggestions here.

Question, is the blacklist by individual user issuing the give-away or is there a global blacklist? If there is only the individual blacklist, its unlikely anyone will ever truly be hindered by entering to repurpose keys. Getting everyone updated on repeated offenders would turn into basically a bigger witchhunt. If it's a global blacklist, then I agree that that is enough.

There are more than enough reasons to want to be a member on these forums, only one of them is the awesome give-aways. Losing access to the give-aways shouldn't be a deal killer for visiting the site and if it is, well... *shrug*.

Personally, I enjoyed a lot of the offical OTs and only (within the last few months stumbled upon the steam give-aways.

Anyhoo, I am off to bed. Have a great night everyone ;D

Arthea

Question, is the blacklist by individual user issuing the give-away or is there a global blacklist? If there is only the individual blacklist, its unlikely anyone will ever truly be hindered by entering to repurpose keys. Getting everyone updated on repeated offenders would turn into basically a bigger witchhunt. If it's a global blacklist, then I agree that that is enough.

There are more than enough reasons to want to be a member on these forums, only one of them is the awesome give-aways. Losing access to the give-aways shouldn't be a deal killer for visiting the site and if it is, well... *shrug*.

Personally, I enjoyed a lot of the offical OTs and only (within the last few months stumbled upon the steam give-aways.
BLACKLIST
This will block any user that another user has permanently blocked--basically, this is when you feel like users are exploiting the system, but you don't know who to block. It's community policing.
here you go

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I have to say I disagree. While including the codec conversations was a nice touch. Overall the whole game feels like it's missing something. Which to me seems to be the slower moments or scene's that question the player. About the only time where MGR felt like a honest to goodness MG game was basically any moment with jetstream sam and Raiden talking. Especially the when he's commenting on all the people Raiden had killed up to that point.
To me, any game that has overly complicated language and pseudo-scientific talk can be considered a Metal Gear, lol

This game's description is also "Lightning Bolt Action" instead of "Tactical Espionage Action", so I'm fine with not slowing down the pace too much with philosophical stuff. As much as I'd love to see another huge mindfuck like in MGS2, I don't feel this is the right game for it.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I will say though, that public witch hunts don't seem to do anybody any good.
Correct, but may give awareness, I didn't know or noticed VikasNarula was doing this and I consider myself one of the regulars on this thread.

I believe rather than posting gifs, making unsavoury comments or digging up game won lists, it would be better to PM the person and explain what is expected of them so they can hopefully turn it around.
Do you actually expect a user that doesn't or do read the rules to change his/her behaviour? At least for me it isn't right to sell or trade something given by someone else, especially when other users from this same thread could enjoy it.

Faabulous

hmm. what in the world is SweetFX? lol
I remember using something similar for Skyrim.. has it been expanded to something else now?

As far as I know it's always been something you could use with a lot of games. I remember removing the yellow filter in Deus Ex HR with it.

Brainsaw

Neo Member
Gaf,
Now, a couple questions:

1) Controller. I only have PS3 controllers ( I may have an Xbox360 one in the attic, can't confirm yet). Will the native bluetooth 4.0 on a laptop pick up the PS3 controller? I have got it working on my old laptop as a test through USB, but my old laptop doesn't have bluetooth so I can't test it out. I have messed with MotionInJoy so I know that works. Am I better off just going to target or something and picking up a $20 blue tooth controller?

I got my PS3 controller working with my PC, which is under the impression that it's an official XBOX360 controller (which doesn't matter at all). I just followed the previously mentioned instructions that use the Microsoft drivers and 1 extra program.

Also, in my case my BT is turned off, so it actually works by simply hooking up the controller with the USB cable. The extra program also had BT support, so I'm guessing that'll work too. If not, you always have the USB as backup.

Also woth a mention: since the PS3 powers on automatically whenever the controller is, you might wanna keep that in mind. I found that out after a few hours, since my PS3 was in my bedroom and I didn't see it until the evening (and in my case I was mostly alerted by my TV that had also powered on). It's not a huge deal (and maybe you can even turn the option off, I dunno) but worth keeping in mind if your PS3 is within range.

Gvaz

Banned
Hey next time instead of taking two copies of Brothers, give one copy to me so I can actually get the game, thanks.

I got my PS3 controller working with my PC, which is under the impression that it's an official XBOX360 controller (which doesn't matter at all). I just followed the previously mentioned instructions that use the Microsoft drivers and 1 extra program.

Also, in my case my BT is turned off, so it actually works by simply hooking up the controller with the USB cable. The extra program also had BT support, so I'm guessing that'll work too. If not, you always have the USB as backup.

Also woth a mention: since the PS3 powers on automatically whenever the controller is, you might wanna keep that in mind. I found that out after a few hours, since my PS3 was in my bedroom and I didn't see it until the evening (and in my case I was mostly alerted by my TV that had also powered on). It's not a huge deal (and maybe you can even turn the option off, I dunno) but worth keeping in mind if your PS3 is within range.

Ah good call man, yeah my Ps3 would definitely be in range. Good reminder.

Sounds like I am going to have to mess around with it. Thanks :)

Jawmuncher

To me, any game that has overly complicated language and pseudo-scientific talk can be considered a Metal Gear, lol

This game's description is also "Lightning Bolt Action" instead of "Tactical Espionage Action", so I'm fine with not slowing down the pace too much with philosophical stuff. As much as I'd love to see another huge mindfuck like in MGS2, I don't feel this is the right game for it.

Granted that's all true. Especially the Lightning Bolt Action. But still it's pretty evident that it's a Platinum Game far more than a MG game. Which isn't necessarily bad but it makes me wonder what the original Rising would have been like. Since I know the original story was scrapped. Honestly kind of surprised the story they went with since it's pretty quick. But then again I blame that more on the rushed development.

Again.. an apologies to fellow gaffer, that i broke modbot rules and participate in already won giveaway. my motives to giveaway those games which i already posses in fb community. I will be giving away more in this thread in every hour. until you guys forgive me.
sorry for my broken english (language barrier)

ModBot said:
Instructions for VikasNarula:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Joe Danger 2 -- MB-2902FEBE905AEAD7 - Taken by wetflame
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2 -- MB-D84BF373F214CDFE - Taken by PorkWing
Papo & Yo -- MB-2C2678D6C82C1582 - Taken by confuziz
To the Moon -- MB-E431306416F8E74B - Taken by HalfwayOrb

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
No doubt. I don't think you understand what I'm saying. I'm not saying if they enter ban them totally from modbot. I'm saying even if they try to enter unknowingly enhanced modbot can just ignore their entry much like it does when a lurker tries to enter a nolurker giveaway.
The problem is that either A) ModBot will have to maintain a database of each SteamGAFfer's owned games and update it as often as possible, or B) GAFfers will have to login through Steam Community, something not everyone may be willing to do. Either way, ModBot will probably be slower because he'll have to check whether the winner has the game in their account (this could also be done even before he is allowed to enter the giveaway, if he already has it), and that will make our little robotic friend slower.

Bear in mind he's not only used for giveaways, so he may become slower in general and have a worse performance in his mod functions. Though this reminds me of an Isaac Asimov short story (The Life and Times of Multivac), where Multivac controls the whole world and humans can only do what Multivac allows them to. I won't spoil the ending, of course, but suffice to say I consider ModBot to be our own Multivac.
But I don't want him dead, hell no!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom