• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthea

Here's hoping I can name people after gaffers. I gave my favored gaffers the food, weapons and armor - you must go naked and armed only with an unused spoon...

If you do that to your favourite people, I dread to know what you do to your enemies!

I tried DiRT 3 for a bit yesterday. No help while driving, and I can't make it past the 7th position on the board, even if I think I'm driving pretty nicely, the game think I suck. Altough I'm having a good time. It's pretty nice to look at too.

And I swear I can't remember how did I get it. I don't remember buying it, and I didn't win it here or anywhere else. Was it in a bundle?

You can adjust the difficulty somewhere in the main menu. Are you using a controller or a steering wheel? I can't win anything while using my G27 but I dominate on a 360 controller. I don't think it was in a bundle though, there was the codemasters bundle but that was just Dirt2.

My take on it for Steam:

Recommended
22.1 hrs on record
It would be another Calamity to miss out on this amazing game.

Wonderful story.
Amazing artwork and animation.
Fun and rewarding gameplay.
Phenomenal soundtrack.

Usually games don't live up to the hype... usually games fall short. For me, this game surpassed any hype and praise I'd seen for it prior to play and I can't recommend it enough if you're a fan of this genre of gameplay.

--
I tend to like it when TotalBiscuit does his WTF series on a game... so check it out here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyWJhOh7w00

Thanks a ton. Will check out the youtube videos :)

Levyne

Banned
I saw a girl on campus this morning that kind of looked like Saoirse.

I blame this thread for allowing me to even make a comparison.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I tried DiRT 3 for a bit yesterday. No help while driving, and I can't make it past the 7th position on the board, even if I think I'm driving pretty nicely, the game think I suck. Altough I'm having a good time. It's pretty nice to look at too.

And I swear I can't remember how did I get it. I don't remember buying it, and I didn't win it here or anywhere else. Was it in a bundle?

AMD was giving Dirt 3 away in September 2011, then somebody realised the site's security was lacking and leaked the ~1.7 million unused keys onto the 'net (which were later revoked).

Turfster

Turfster's gonna have a fit when he sees all the gifs that have been posted.

I totally flipped my table when I started reading the pages I missed...
but not because of the gifs, for once =p
Also, most of these gifs were... innocuous (apart from the Seinfeld one)
Edit: And then I got to the DOA one just as colleague walked by. Damn you, Nito.

Is this really Turfster? ;)
(j/k, good point, ser.)

*frown*

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
iJhnkdw.png
:lol

Must stay loyal to TB. WIll wait for his WTF.

I like TB too... however, I found it immensely painful to watch him play Bastion in that link I posted above since he missed (what I felt was an extremely obvious...) switch to open the cage for the musket. Maybe because he was distracted by recording or something, but I even saw the kb/m controls flash "[E] Switch" and I swear you have to press them earlier in the game.

But usually, if I want to know what an indie game is all about, I go check out his WTF is... :)

I totally flipped my table when I started reading the pages I missed...
but not because of the gifs, for once =p
Also, most of these gifs were... innocuous (apart from the Seinfeld one)
Edit: And then I got to the DOA one just as colleague walked by. Damn you, Nito.

*frown*

Why did you flip your table?
And never underestimate the power of Gravelord Nito. ;)

chupon

So...weird request, but I just ran in to a GFWL problem with activating my Fable III DLC codes.

I bought the Fable III Bundle which includes the following items:

Dog Outfit
Industrial Knight Outfit
Dog Breed Set
Understone Quest Pack
Traitor's Keep Quest Pack

I redeemed them all, but GFWL doesn't register them. I have a support ticket in to MS, but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Does anyone happen to have any spare keys for any of the DLC?

I know it's a long shot, but I'd appreciate it if anyone has something.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
You can adjust the difficulty somewhere in the main menu. Are you using a controller or a steering wheel? I can't win anything while using my G27 but I dominate on a 360 controller. I don't think it was in a bundle though, there was the codemasters bundle but that was just Dirt2.

Yeah I know, I cranked it up to the max just for fun. I'm using the 360 controller.
But now it's personal, I'm not going to lower the difficulty. :lol

AMD was giving Dirt 3 away in September 2011, then somebody realised the site's security was lacking and leaked the ~1.7 million unused keys onto the 'net (which were later revoked).

Oh yes, now I remember, a friend who bought and AMD card a few weeks back gave me his code for the never settle thing.

nexen

I'm closing in on 1k. The temptation to just go hogwild and buy whatever for the remaining games is palpable.

Mini reviews:

Alien Rage is a-ok, if you like oldish skool unreal games, as I do. It is basically that, but with more glowy, ADS, and weapons that aren't as fun. For $5 I think it was worth it. Doubt I'll finish it, but I already had some fun blasting aliens.

Injustice has grown a bit on me. Still not as good as MK9, but it is close. Second best SP fighter by a mile.

Metal Gear Rising feels so sloppy. Like I barely have any control over what is going on. The camera and parry mechanism in particular are abysmal. All in all I vastly prefer the new DMC over this. Still, it has some cool art and I'm glad to see that I can skip over most of the Kojima fan fiction level crap with the 'y' button. Will probably finish unless it gets absurdly hard. I couldn't find a way to lower the difficulty in an in progress game, which made me very sad.

Conclysm is high school level game making at best. Worse than those Dejobaan games. Avoid like the plague.

Gunman Clive for the asking price, this game is a steal. Sweet little Mega Man clone with surprising variety.

I'm closing in on 1k. The temptation to just go hogwild and buy whatever for the remaining games is palpable.

Mini reviews:

Metal Gear Rising feels so sloppy. Like I barely have any control over what is going on. The camera and parry mechanism in particular are abysmal. All in all I vastly prefer the new DMC over this. Still, it has some cool art and I'm glad to see that I can skip over most of the Kojima fan fiction level crap with the 'y' button. Will probably finish unless it gets absurdly hard. I couldn't find a way to lower the difficulty in an in progress game, which made me very sad.

While I disagree with everything you say here, I will tell you that (I think) you can change your difficulty by restarting your current chapter via chapter select.

The blatant modbot abuse that was uncovered
Edit: Well, I see he at least gave some back like he said. Still.

Ah, yes. I kind of glossed over that and figured I'd see how it panned out in later pages.

Anteater

Allrighty, let's put one of my Amazon coupons to good use. Here's a little giveaway for you guys. It is a good game in spite of the very vocal minority in here who like to hate on it. Enjoy my friends and fellow gaffers!

Nice giveaway, now someone will get to appreciate SteamGAF's goty

edit: i don't know why i said a lot of people!

nexen

While I disagree with everything you say here, I will tell you that (I think) you can change your difficulty by restarting your current chapter via chapter select.
Good, thanks. The mid level enemies are easy enough, but the wolf thing destroyed me. Oddly the next boss was easy as pie, so maybe I wont need it?

Exuro

The link that someone posted earlier in the thread made it seem like it wasn't working. I wouldn't know as I don't have any VR equipment. Honestly I don't like BPM that much anyway, always seemed janky to me. Not that that should prevent other people being interested or anything.
It's a lot better than it has been, but still is very barren. Community still needs to be integrated.

I'm more interested in hearing about Valve's prototype and how it differs from Oculus'.

Grief.exe

I feel the opposite, game gives you a lot of control.

One thing I have noticed is you can get stuck in an animation with a heavy attack (y button) and can't parry. Either use light attack if you are expecting to parry, or dodge (A + X) brings you out of the animation instantly.

Deques

You have not a single reason not to buy it, seriously. It's not FE obviously, but if you like gameplay of FE, there is good reason to assume you'll like tBS at least some.
You can wait with me for a month or two, too!
Sounds like a great plan. I have many games that I have at almost full priced, which I haven't played yet.

You have not a single reason not to buy it, seriously. It's not FE obviously, but if you like gameplay of FE, there is good reason to assume you'll like tBS at least some.
You can wait with me for a month or two, too!

Went ahead and purchased The Banner Saga, I'll wait till the patch is out for Consortium on Jan. 31 to purchase that.

nexen

One thing I have noticed is you can get stuck in an animation with a heavy attack (y button) and can't parry. Either use light attack if you are expecting to parry, or dodge (A + X) brings you out of the animation instantly.

Could be a training issue but that is an argument for a poor difficulty curve then.

When I played DMC within moments I felt in absolute control over everything that was going on. The camera was almost always pointing where I wanted it and the attacks I was firing off were exactly what I intended, barring a few moments to learn each new system.

When I play MGR, even after a few hours with it, I'm often off attacking the wall while trying to get Raiden to stop and turn around, the camera is pointing up into the sky, and making parries is just an exercise in frustration. Plus I spend so much time stun locked. The effects get in the way a lot too.

It may change as I learn the game more, but it just feels sloppy to me right now. The action is more keystone cops than anything.

Still it is my favorite Metal Gear game so far, so there is that.

edit: I will say that I love the game's ambition. Some of the boss interactions are wonderfully over the top.

Less then 2 min left

ModBot said:
Instructions for VikasNarula:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

The Ship -- MB-8A57826717EFBB6D - Taken by PorkWing. 5 entrants total.

t1389718083z1.png

Backlogger

Weird, I had 3 Amazon credits and I feel like I am going to be using them all on Origin games due to the lack of deals on games I don't already own in Steam. I used my first one on Dead Space 3 DLC and looks like the Crysis 3 mark down is coming back on the 20th so I might use my last 2 buying C3 and the DLC.

Is there a list somewhere of games that qualify for the game credit that aren't listed on Amazon's site? I would much rather get some Steam games.

Hasney

New humble bundle games are added today.

Get hyped or prepare for disappoint like last week?

Clearly going to be Nidhogg. The stars have aligned.

Not sure if I'd enjoy getting the game more than seeing the outrage of people who bought it yesterday or not.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Weird, I had 3 Amazon credits and I feel like I am going to be using them all on Origin games due to the lack of deals on games I don't already own in Steam. I used my first one on Dead Space 3 DLC and looks like the Crysis 3 mark down is coming back on the 20th so I might use my last 2 buying C3 and the DLC.

Is there a list somewhere of games that qualify for the game credit that aren't listed on Amazon's site? I would much rather get some Steam games.

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/...hock-infinite-and-more/page-276#entry11361093

Looking forward it seems the only Steam-related deals are Mars: War Logs, Wargame: Airland Battle and Europa Universalis 4, though the sale runs for another two weeks so there may be hope yet.

Agree. Offensive defense is easy to abuse, for the most part.
But the game requires a high degree of precision and gives you the tools to do so if you learn it. :)

Examples:
Final boss, S rank, revengeance difficulty -- no cutscenes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFo_SEWDWo

Accursed VR mission 018:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH7qvLUkaB4

And the chapter 6 boss on revengeance for good measure:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BagfYOZJQfk

Yeah, I sunk about half an hour into it earlier and enjoyed myself.

Grrr, now you're making me think about checking it out.

Trying to play Back to the Future with my 360 controller on Windows 8, and it won't launch if it's plugged in...

I'd only really be interested in playing through with a controller, so that sucks.

Momentary

Banned

You can tap blade mode to instantly cancel animation frames. It makes the game amazing. Also, I've been able to parry out of heavy attacks... that's the only thing that's saving my as on Very Hard. I'll check again after work.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member

The video you posted here showed that you can also enter Blade Mode (LT) to cancel attack animations. I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know how well it works.

Is that JASF dogfighting game worth the price of free?

The video you posted here showed that you can also enter Blade Mode (LT) to cancel attack animations. I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know how well it works.

This is also true. Sometimes it's useful to do in the VR missions when it's timed and you need to get out of the ninja kill animations quicker to get the gold medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom