• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jusoni

Bayonetta's camera was much less spastic, and Bayonetta was a lot more fun. It also looked better and played better, so...

Daaamn. I was quiet hyped about MGR, but I dunno anymore. Not that into Metal gear series anyway.
Did all of the Bayonettas achviements on xbox, so hard might be optimal for me.

wazoo

I'm insanely curious as to why we haven't seen those games on GOG or Steam yet. The public outcry for them is pretty intense. There must be some technical or legal problem.

Lucasarts - before Disney - was anti-DRM free, and now, under Disney, nobody knows, but the focus is not on the exploitation of old licenses.

Grief.exe

Congratulations Bornlivedie for Banner Saga.

I genuinely like DmC more, I'm not joking.

From what I have heard MGR and Bayo would have a far higher learning curve than DMC. That may be why you enjoy that game better from a quick perspective.

When it finally clicks for you MGR is so good.

Daaamn. I was quiet hyped about MGR, but I dunno anymore. Not that into Metal gear series anyway.
Did all of the Bayonettas achviements on xbox, so hard might be optimal for me.

Yes it will be.

MGR's camera can be controlled with the lock on button, but it is notoriously the worst part of the design. Metal Gear story doesn't get in the way and is not required to enjoy the game.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Bayonetta>DMC3>DMC4>DmC>MGR:R (Only played MGR:R Demo so not accurate yet but that might change when I get it)

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I genuinely like DmC more, I'm not joking.

tumblr_inline_mu5lb9l3aU1rg1ld5.gif

confuziz

Banned
Congratulations Bornlivedie for Banner Saga.

From what I have heard MGR and Bayo would have a far higher learning curve than DMC. That may be why you enjoy that game better from a quick perspective.

When it finally clicks for you MGR is so good.

I'm not only talking about the gameplay. The setting, graphics, humor and story is better in DmC in my eyes. Bayo is just cray

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So tomorrow, you’ll receive a Humble Bundle link to a page that will contain your Steam code [for Broken Age] and, if you backed at the appropriate level, the soundtrack download.

Did anybody else here opt for the $30 tier or above? I'm curious as to whether you get a key for the Soundtrack Edition on Steam or just a key for the base game and a direct download of the OST. If it's the latter I'm going to ask DF to bin the key I was given and replace it with one that activates the SE. Also, where exactly do I find the Humble Bundle link? It wasn't e-mailed to me.

Backlogger

Lucasarts - before Disney - was anti-DRM free, and now, under Disney, nobody knows, but the focus is not on the exploitation of old licenses.

I don't know if its a gold mine for them or not (probably not if its not the focus) but I would buy Maniac Mansion, Zak Mckraken, X-Wing series, etc. etc. etc. if they would just put them out there in a playable format.

PriitV

Did anybody else here opt for the $30 tier or above? I'm curious as to whether you get a key for the Soundtrack Edition on Steam or just a key for the base game and a direct download of the OST. If it's the latter I'm going to ask DF to bin the key I was given and replace it with one that activates the SE. Also, where exactly do I find the Humble Bundle link? It wasn't e-mailed to me.

Go to your humblebundle account page and the section where you can claim past purchases.

Terra_Ex

Dunno about Broken Age specifically, but some other KS stuff I backed had humble bundle entries stealth-added to my profile page unceremoniously, so check there.

Bayonetta>DMC3>DMC4>DmC>MGR:R (Only played MGR:R Demo so not accurate yet but that might change when I get it)

I think DmC is the... least good out of these. It's the only game I'd call merely decent.

Ranking DMC3, DMC4 and Bayo is kinda hard, really depends on the criteria you're looking at. I still think DMC4 has the best combat engine of the bunch but DMC3 and Bayo excel in other areas.

nexen

Learn a deep fighting system in a game in order to enjoy it at all?

Aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif

Seriously. Unless it in one of my preferred genres I'm not going to waste hours of frustration to uncover the good in a game unless it is readily apparent that it will be sublime when I do. In the case of MG:R, it really isn't. Thankfully it is 'ok' right now and the art is good so that is keeping me going for the moment being.

I have a metric ton of games and very little free time.

DmC had me at 'go' and kept me into it all the way through. Expertly crafted in that regard.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Maaaan, I already redeemed Broken Age and really want to play it but at the same time I avoid betas like the plague. Some people are already having freezes in the OT and I don't want to sour the experience.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
lrDNoKQ.gif

Congratulations!

is that what Felicia is actually saying in that gif? whats the context if so? :p

edit: old? new bundle stars, the Brutal Bundle

Gary's Incident
Port Royale 3
Dungeonbowl
Tropico 4
Stealth Bastard Deluxe
Kings Bounty Legions something something f2p moneyz
Earth 2150 Trilogy
Steel Storm
Iron Sky Invasion
Naval Warfare

all steam, very decent bundle

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
I'm not only talking about the gameplay. The setting, graphics, humor and story is better in DmC in my eyes. Bayo is just cray

Ok I can somewhat understand liking DmC better than Bayonetta as much as it surprises me, but to say DmC actually had better humor is what I'm really not understanding. DmC barely had any and when it did it was sooooo baddd http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qg6dTgRHB0 but different stroke for different folks.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
I think DmC is the... least good out of these. It's the only game I'd call merely decent.

Ranking DMC3, DMC4 and Bayo is kinda hard, really depends on the criteria you're looking at. I still think DMC4 has the best combat engine of the bunch but DMC3 and Bayo excel in other areas.

Bayo does everything better than 4 combat. What DMC4 has over Bayonetta its performance. Bayo has framerate dips and nasty screen tearing. DMC3 its better constructed in terms of environments and variety of bosses etc. DMC4 if it didnt had the horrible backtracking and Dante destroying everything on the second half looked unbalalanced. But all those 3 are on a league on their own.

Grief.exe

Bayo does everything better than 4 combat. What DMC4 has over Bayonetta its performance. Bayo has framerate dips and nasty screen tearing. DMC3 its better constructed in terms of environments and variety of bosses etc. DMC4 if it didnt had the horrible backtracking and Dante destroying everything on the second half looked unbalalanced. But all those 3 are on a league on their own.

I need to go back and play DMC3/4 now with the skills I gained from MGR.

Hopefully Sega will wake up and tap Platinum for Bayo PC port.

denx

Back to Karkand isn't showing up on my list of downloading BF3 DLC on Origin. Is Karkand supposed to be downloaded as part of the main game?

Anteater

Bayonetta's learning curve isn't that high, it's the most accessible game in the action genre because you don't actually need to dig deep to know how pull off crazy combos, which is a good thing for me, and I enjoy it a lot, I find it actually easier to play than DmC with dodge offset, since every single attacks were also cancellable with dodge.

Bayonetta do have a high quantity of stuff in the game like accessories but what they offer aren't really as deep and refined as something like DMC3/DMC4 Dante's style system, bayonetta's weapons also play a bit too similar with similar combo strings and its parrying system from Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa isn't as deep and rewarding as something like DMC3's Royal Guard, so it feels like to me some of the elements are just kind of there but they are definitely fun to use.

I'm really not a big dmc fan though.

For action games, I like God Hand, Bayonetta the most because they are designed to be pretty straight forward "dodge and hit" games, while god hand is simpler, I like its approach. DmC is really fun and I thought it can be up there with the other action games if it didn't have those crappy bosses.

kulapik

Someone have them
ModBot said:
Instructions for kulapik:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Red Faction Armageddon Path to War DLC -- MB-8559418651FE3BD7 - Taken by intheinbetween
Red Alert 3 Uprising -- MB-EAAE9C88F0F4F210 - Taken by Luap

Fuu

Is the e-mail you used when you backed the same one of your HB account? Mine was different and doing this got it to work for me:

If you haven't, enter the e-mail you used on the kickstarter here, then redeem the link they send you with your HB account. The "claim past purchases" box should appear in your library afterwards.

Tizoc

In a perfect world, this would actually be a tease rather than just salt in the wound.
Outrun's not in your Steam list Jase?
Get your hands on that Ferrari licence again, Sega! It'll pay for itself.

That would require Steam users to actually give a fuck about an Outrun game and not wait for it to go on sale 6 months later at 75% =V

JaseC

well just maybe wait for a bit? maybe while you're waiting beth will greenlight quake wars

I'm still waiting on a response. Maybe the idea of bringing back Wolf09 and Quake Wars is actually being entertained.

Did you click on the plus at the top of the page in the top right corner of the "claim past purchases" box? That's where mine was hidden, didn't show until I did that.

That was it! Cheers. It doesn't seem as though the key will activate the Soundtrack Edition so I'll fire off an e-mail to DF.

Learn a deep fighting system in a game in order to enjoy it at all?

Aintnobodygottimeforthat.gif

Seriously. Unless it in one of my preferred genres I'm not going to waste hours of frustration to uncover the good in a game unless it is readily apparent that it will be sublime when I do. In the case of MG:R, it really isn't. Thankfully it is 'ok' right now and the art is good so that is keeping me going for the moment being.

I have a metric ton of games and very little free time.

DmC had me at 'go' and kept me into it all the way through. Expertly crafted in that regard.

Yeah, it's kinda the point of the genre. I don't think MGR is that hard to get into at all. It isn't really combo heavy and the parries aren't that hard to pull off at lower difficulties. You need to "learn" more in DmC imo.

Well, it does it different. I think Dante's moveset in DMC4 is untouched at high levels. Bayonetta is more inviting in this regard but DMC4 solves that problem with Nero and his Exceed system. But yeah, in terms of leveldesign, it's really lazy.

JaseC

Outrun's not in your Steam list Jase?

Nah, it was gone well before I began collecting. :(

That would require Steam users to actually give a fuck about an Outrun game and not wait for it to go on sale 6 months later at 75% =V

I think another few years with the occasional sale would generate a sizeable amount of revenue, particularly given it's been gone for a long time and and has become a rare collector's item. Don't forget that Saw sold like hotcakes during the Halloween Sale (Konami still hasn't restocked the US sub).

zkylon

zkylewd
Bayonetta's learning curve isn't that high, it's the most accessible game in the action genre because you don't actually need to dig deep to know how pull off crazy combos, which is a good thing for me, and I enjoy it a lot, I find it actually easier to play than DmC with dodge offset, since every single attacks were also cancellable with dodge.

Bayonetta do have a high quantity of stuff in the game like accessories but what they offer aren't really as deep and refined as something like DMC3/DMC4 Dante's style system, bayonetta's weapons also play a bit too similar with similar combo strings and its parrying system from Moon of Mahaa-Kalaa isn't as deep and rewarding as something like DMC3's Royal Guard, so it feels like to me some of the elements are just kind of there but they are definitely fun to use.

I'm really not a big dmc fan though.
yea I like the dmc3 style thing the best of all character action game systems

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-614C218F5015E7F0 - Taken by NotSelf. 21 entrants total.

t1389810873z1.png

Fuu

Thanks Fuu, this did the trick for me. :)
No prob! I didn't see your post when I replied to Jase or I'd have quoted it too. I'm glad that it seems to be working for most people, I was worried at first that the e-mails were different because I didn't want to redeem the game in a different HB account.

Is it for the whole boss fight or just the second part?

The entire battle with the final boss.
Not including the Metal Gear fight before it, but everything after that grade.

Difficulty is similar, but Bayonetta is much better.

I'm inclined to disagree. I cannot complete MGR:R on hard by simply spamming x.
95% of my combos during my initial foray into hard on Bayonetta was the 5x X combo. Dodge for witch time, repeat. Platinum made MGR:R a better game.

Bayonetta's camera was much less spastic, and Bayonetta was a lot more fun. It also looked better and played better, so...

IMO, you can't play better if you're plagued with slowdown and framerate issues. And since there is no version of Bayonetta that runs at a constant framerate without slowdown (sure, the x360 is the better of the two, but it's still got a ton of technical problems), it's impossible for it to "play better". Sure, you might think it has better mechanics with witch time versus parrying or whatever, but unless it's ported to a platform that can handle it (there was a movement to get it on Wii U, but I'd still rather see it on PC), I will continually disagree with you.

No sir.

DmC isn't even the same genre. That game should be compared to the Dynasty Warrior and Warrior Orochi games.

Furthermore, if we're talking just Platinum and Capcom action, I'd flip your list entirely around.

MGR:R > DMC4 >= DMC3 > Bayonetta

Maybe that changes if Bayonetta gets a port that doesn't suck. Maybe it doesn't.

--

Now for something entirely more important to me at this juncture:
I'm having a sound problem, currently -- I don't know what could be causing it... the audio in my Steam games is skipping, sort of. Like this fuzzy bad connection type sound -- but I'm using the on-board audio (which seemed fine to me up til now) via the HDMI connection to my TV. I've checked my PS3 for comparison (Spelunky on both) and the PS3 version has clean audio.

This seems relatively recent. Could it be because I have a game downloading to the HDD Steam is installed on so the processing and such might be making the audio of games being played do this? I don't think any drivers changed recently and the last one was an update to some NVidia software... I suppose I could try pausing the download and seeing if it clears up, but in case that doesn't work, does anyone else have any idea why my PC would start having cracking/fuzz over the game audio?

What I mean is that in order to have fun in MG:R, I have to learn.
When I play DmC, I'm having fun right away. If I have to learn more or less is immaterial. The point is that I have to invest much more time and energy before I see any payoff.

The first few hours of MG:R are just frustrating, especially the boss fight with the wolf thing. Even now that I can survive I still fell extremely clumsy and out of control most of the time. It isn't conducive to flow.

Maybe for you. :p

I think that's a personal thing, cause I find the flow just fine... recognize the attack, know when to parry, even if I'm a little early, I still block, wait for opening, cause damage, deal with reinforcement group a by parry/counter, repeat, deal with reinforcement group b by blocking charge then zandatsu, repeat until QTE prompt appears.

As I feel DmC plays more like a Musou game (as stated above), this would be why it's easier to pick up and "have fun with".
Side question: Have you played the Souls games (Demon's Souls, Dark Souls)? If so, do you find them enjoyable or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom