• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

Yeah, it's kinda the point of the genre. I don't think MGR is that hard to get into at all. It isn't really combo heavy and the parries aren't that hard to pull off at lower difficulties. You need to "learn" more in DmC imo.
What I mean is that in order to have fun in MG:R, I have to learn.
When I play DmC, I'm having fun right away. If I have to learn more or less is immaterial. The point is that I have to invest much more time and energy before I see any payoff.

The first few hours of MG:R are just frustrating, especially the boss fight with the wolf thing. Even now that I can survive I still fell extremely clumsy and out of control most of the time. It isn't conducive to flow.

Dynoro

Here's some freebies -- enjoy!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-ED3225032FC3D448 - Taken by adriano999
Steel Storm Complete Edition -- MB-0FDE23C72F4F04A5 - Taken by topyy
Tropico 4 Steam Special Edition -- MB-3C8BE603EE2480FD - Taken by PandaPandaPanda

Grief.exe

Outrun's not in your Steam list Jase?

Get your hands on that Ferrari licence again, Sega! It'll pay for itself.

That would require Steam users to actually give a fuck about an Outrun game and not wait for it to go on sale 6 months later at 75% =V

I really dislike this argument, it contradicts reality.

You usually see console warriors using it to justify the lack of PC ports. There are plenty of sales at full price, look at MGR, Rust, DayZ, Banner Saga, but a sale price brings in a consumer base that, likely, would not purchase your game in the first place. It grosses you a massive profit and massively expands your fan base, win/win.

But then we did this different experiment where we did a sale. The sale is a highly promoted event that has ancillary media like comic books and movies associated with it. We do a 75 percent price reduction, our Counter-Strike experience tells us that our gross revenue would remain constant. Instead what we saw was our gross revenue increased by a factor of 40. Not 40 percent, but a factor of 40. Which is completely not predicted by our previous experience with silent price variation.

"It's not uncommon for our partners to see [a] 10-20 times revenue increase on games they run as a 'Daily Deal.' Some titles really take off and see as much [as a] 70-80 times increase in revenue," Holtman said.
Is there a catch?
Despite the fact that Steam sales mark games down to just a small fraction of their usual price, the developers we spoke to don't think these promotions are devaluing games at all. Based on the data they've seen, Steam sales have only been a good thing for their business.

Sure, players will jump on the chance to buy a game for $2.50, but the developers have found that Steam consumers are still perfectly willing to pay full price for a game once the sales are over. The "race to the bottom" we've seen on the mobile markets just doesn't seem to be there on Valve's platform.

"While some may argue that [major sales] contribute to an industry-wide price deterioration problem -- where smartphone games have made people unwilling to spend more than $5 on a digital game -- [Steam sales] are a bit different," says Ken Berry, the executive VP of XSEED Games (Ys Origins, Ys: The Oath in Felghana).

"Rather than looking at it as a 'lost sale' when people wait for these Steam discounts, I think it needs to be viewed as reaching out to a new customer that never would have purchased your game otherwise."

Valve's Holtman says he's never noticed any negative consequences from these promotions. Instead, most games still see positive trends in their sales numbers well after the discounts are over.
At the very worst, a game's sales will just revert back to what they were before the promotion began.

And of course, it's not only about generating more sales. Sometimes, you just want to make sure that people are playing your game in the first place, so they pay attention when you're building excitement for whatever comes next.

As Toxic Games' Daniel Da Rocha (Q.U.B.E.), puts it, "[When people] have the opportunity pick up a copy for next to nothing, this only grows the fan base around the game, so when we release new content or future games, we have a large community already there to market to."

Sales of Q-Game's PixelJunk Eden during the Steam holiday sale doubled the developer's annual income, according to tweets from designer and programmer Dylan Cuthbert.

Platform puzzler PixelJunk Eden, the third title in the PixelJunk series, was featured in Valve's annual two-week run of holiday game discounts for $0.99. The game was chosen by the Steam Community in a User's Choice poll determining what game would go on sale at 90 percent off.

Amazing how keys mount up. Even found a few that I hadn't claimed. Have fun and don't sell, trade, give them away etc.
I give keys with the intention of use by those participating in these Steam threads. Not for a friend of their dog walkers cousin.

That said, its a multi-entry giveaway for a bunch of old bundle keys. Enter for them all if you like.

Thanks for Little Inferno! :)

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
some leftovers :)

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-D8AF8BBECF215DA1 - Taken by Natty1. 10 entrants total.
Naval Warfare -- MB-C87DE9FC151507A2 - Taken by factorone. 5 entrants total.

t1389725959z1.png

C4rter

Leftovers from Bundlestars.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Tropico 4 -- MB-95C1A2F7606F6301 - Taken by denx. 11 entrants total.
Stealth Bastard -- MB-6C615A289D8AAB60 - Taken by Santini. 7 entrants total.

t1389726004z1.png

Tizoc

I really dislike this argument, it contradicts reality.

You usually see console warriors using it to justify the lack of PC ports. There are plenty of sales at full price, look at MGR, Rust, DayZ, Banner Saga, but a sale price brings in a consumer base that, likely, would not purchase your game in the first place. It grosses you a massive profit and massively expands your fan base, win/win.

Well I learned something new then.
GET ON DAT FERRARI LICENSE SEGA!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
havent done this in awhile

ModBot said:
Instructions for Rhaknar:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can entry for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.

Earth 2150 Trilogy -- MB-987EB179495318DC - Taken by trailmix16. 7 entrants total.
Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-0B7CACB57C86EA50 - Taken by PedroPanache. 12 entrants total.
Steel Storm: Burning Retribution -- MB-29932C450B30D977 - Taken by JakeD. 4 entrants total.
Tropico 4 Steam Special Edition -- MB-E5D17CDCF678853D - Taken by Ezalc. 15 entrants total.
Naval Warfare -- MB-54E8B6A3678E6D00 - Taken by tylergregg. 2 entrants total.

t1389726184z1.png

Dolor

I don't know why, but I really want Broken Age. Everything about it seems pretty cool even though I typically dislike that style of games.

Hopefully, the reviews are good.

Anteater

What I mean is that in order to have fun in MG:R, I have to learn.
When I play DmC, I'm having fun right away. If I have to learn more or less is immaterial. The point is that I have to invest much more time and energy before I see any payoff.

The first few hours of MG:R are just frustrating, especially the boss fight with the wolf thing. Even now that I can survive I still fell extremely clumsy and out of control most of the time. It isn't conducive to flow.

I think Rising is more about learning the enemies and how to dispose of them quick, once you have them figured out it becomes more manageable and more fun, it's why the bosses often feel easier especially if you have nanopastes in stock, other than the last dude. Because they are often more straight forward and you deal with 1 guy,

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just to clarify, they do email you a humble bundle link that you then tie to your humble account if you want, you shouldn't have to worry about logging into any existing accounts.

I didn't receive such an e-mail, but it's all sorted now (well, since I don't want to activate the key unless it pertains to the Soundtrack Edition, I need to wait for a reply to my e-mail).

Madridy

So I just bought Most wanted from Amazon for $7 and redeemed it on Origin, but it is not showing under my Games tab. Usually as soon as I redeem it'll pop up.

Anyone had this issue with Origin before?

Should I contact customer support or wait few more hours?

Nabs

So I just bought Most wanted from Amazon for $7 and redeemed it on Origin, but it is not showing under my Games tab. Usually as soon as I redeem it'll pop up.

That sounds like Origin to me.

nexen

iirc there is an option in the menu to refresh your games list.

denx

Try refreshing the games tab, or restart Origin.

Ezalc

True, but he has never played a Star Wars game before. Out of all of them, everyone's gotta experience KOTOR at the least.

No I haven't played KOTOR either. I've played Battlefront 1 and 2, and some of that Commando game and a lego star wars. I have Rogue Leader 3 though, that game is amazing.

Anyway, so these games on sale are good then yes?

jonno394

Hi guys, sorry for the basic question here.....

Seeing as all my PC components will be here over the next few weeks i've started looking in to digital distribution. GamersGate currently have the STALKER games collection for £8.50. Ive noticed these are not STEAM keys though, but the titles are available through the STEAM store.

Is there much difference in buying direct through the steam store to buying somewhere else and adding a shortcut to them to your steam library?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That Star Wars bundle sale on Steam worth it? Never played any of those games.

I loved Dark Forces 2 back in the day, so, uh, there's that. For what it's worth, the games are unlikely to be any cheaper in the future now that Disney is calling the shots (unless today's deal is a sign that Disney's attitude is changing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom