• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I probably should have asked this before entering for the C&C Red Alert 3 Uprising giveaway, but is this a good game to play as my first RTS? The only other strategy game I've ever played was Advance Wars Dual Strike, and that's a turn-based game. Should I get the original C&C Red Alert 3 and play that first?
As good as any, I guess. Age of Empires 2 might be better in the sense that it is rather slow-paced, but really when it comes to RTS there is a massive chasm between single and multiplayer. You will get slaughtered in multi for quite a while before you get to grips with it, and some people just never do. The Westwood C&C games are my favorite RTS and the genre has really changed since then. Hell, it's practically dead in favor of MOBA (yuck)

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Haven't played the Darksiders franchise at all- thought $15 was a good deal for both games and all DLC.

Is controller support good for it?

Controller support is really good - the game is basically a console port. Sad that you missed the sale on Amazon where both Darksiders games, a bunch of DLC, and 4 other games were on sale all for $8 last week. Either way, these games are a lot of fun and easily worth $15 for the pack. :)

Now for something entirely more important to me at this juncture:
I'm having a sound problem, currently -- I don't know what could be causing it... the audio in my Steam games is skipping, sort of. Like this fuzzy bad connection type sound -- but I'm using the on-board audio (which seemed fine to me up til now) via the HDMI connection to my TV. I've checked my PS3 for comparison (Spelunky on both) and the PS3 version has clean audio.

This seems relatively recent. Could it be because I have a game downloading to the HDD Steam is installed on so the processing and such might be making the audio of games being played do this? I don't think any drivers changed recently and the last one was an update to some NVidia software... I suppose I could try pausing the download and seeing if it clears up, but in case that doesn't work, does anyone else have any idea why my PC would start having cracking/fuzz over the game audio?

Anyone?
It's still there even though downloads have all finished. PC only. TV and PS3 don't have the problem. Nothing should've borked my on board sound card, right?

Controller support is really good - the game is basically a console port. Sad that you missed the sale on Amazon where both Darksiders games, a bunch of DLC, and 4 other games were on sale all for $8 last week. Either way, these games are a lot of fun and easily worth $15 for the pack. :)

DOH! Oh well :)

I am going on a spending binge because I finally have a system that can play pretty much any game I throw at it (well, it is actually scheduled to be delivered by UPS today ha) so... anything that looks like a good deal is getting snatched up lol.

Especially platformers, survival horrors, and anything that might do decently in Steam Big Picture Mode.

I'm all ears for other recommendations ;) ;) hint hint

I couldn't agree more. It's basically a mature Zelda. I enjoyed the storyline in the first game far more than the second though. That being said, the second is probably the superior gameplay experience.

zkylon

zkylewd
I totally thought this was yet another post-apocalyptic zombie survival game that's riding DayZ's coat tails.
Also -- is Strike Suit Zero a kbm game or a 360 game? I don't remember if I put my batteries in the charger.
I played a lot of raiderz with friends and it was pretty fun

I dropped it as soon as it got too grindy but it was decent

Arthea

As it is still possible to buy PuzzleQuest: Challenge of the Warlords for next 22 hours, I wanted to insist that this price is ridiculous for such a game. If even you don't like RPG and puzzle hybrids, PQ is so good that it's impossible not to get this money worth from it. And it's one of most addictive games I ever played, other being Civs, Tetris, HoMM, Peggle and MtG, so as you can see, very refined company.
I only wonder why they didn't implemented achievements on steam, as Xbox360 version had those.
And let's not forget that it is the best Aussie game!
Anyway, what I wanted to say, buy it! you won't regret, I promise.

If by chance you are into such hybrids, buy Galactrix too, remembering that's not PQ in space as one would expect, but still worth this price, regardless.

I couldn't agree more. It's basically a mature Zelda. I enjoyed the storyline in the first game far more than the second though. That being said, the second is probably the superior gameplay experience.

Good to hear :) I enjoyed pretty much all of the Zelda games so I am now really looking forward to it. Thanks for the info!

As good as any, I guess. Age of Empires 2 might be better in the sense that it is rather slow-paced, but really when it comes to RTS there is a massive chasm between single and multiplayer. You will get slaughtered in multi for quite a while before you get to grips with it, and some people just never do. The Westwood C&C games are my favorite RTS and the genre has really changed since then. Hell, it's practically dead in favor of MOBA (yuck)

Alrighty then. Thanks for the input.

cicero

As it is still possible to buy PuzzleQuest: Challenge of the Warlords for next 22 hours, I wanted to insist that this price is ridiculous for such a game. If even you don't like RPG and puzzle hybrids, PQ is so good that it's impossible not to get this money worth from it. And it's one of most addictive games I ever played, other being Civs, Tetris, HoMM, Peggle and MtG, so as you can see, very refined company.
I only wonder why they didn't implemented achievements on steam, as Xbox360 version had those.
And let's not forget that it is the best Aussie game!
Anyway, what I wanted to say, buy it! you won't regret, I promise.

If by chance you are into such hybrids, buy Galactrix too, remembering that's not PQ in space as one would expect, but still worth this price, regardless.

I had heard that Galactrix wasn't that good at all though. Am I mistaken?

Kuroyume

Banned
Extra

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Strike Suit Zero -- MB-EEBF9C3B7CFEB868 - Taken by Vecks. 17 entrants total.

t1389729378z1.png

Giveaway time again:

ModBot said:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-620746AB4908026E - Taken by Curious_George. 12 entrants total.
Reus -- MB-0722A066198984DD - Taken by Dipper145. 17 entrants total.
HOARD -- MB-A42179011F3827B1 - Taken by Knurek. 5 entrants total.
Toki Tori 2 Plus -- MB-BED6449E5D845BA9 - Taken by Zeeman. 19 entrants total.

t1389739233z1.png

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
It's harder and harder to find bundles I don't own most games.
I blame Jasec! and steamgaf and my buying habits.

After a while it just gets to be like "Is there anything in this bundle I don't already own? If so, would I pay X amount for those games?"

It's not all bad though, I'm at over 1,500 games now and I was still missing about half of what was in the current Bundlestars.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Hoard is great:

ModBot[b said:
Instructions for participants:[/b]
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hoard -- MB-5ECE63E5CF4810F9 - Taken by BruteUA. 9 entrants total.

t1389729694z1.png

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
Anyone?
It's still there even though downloads have all finished. PC only. TV and PS3 don't have the problem. Nothing should've borked my on board sound card, right?

What OS are you using? What's your pc like? how much free space do you have?

Arthea

I had heard that Galactrix wasn't that good at all though. Am I mistaken?

It depends what you expect, I've played through it once, and besides it being nowhere near PQ goodness and having annoying timed gates, setting was amazing and a game looked very nice even on DS (I've played on DS), I never wanted to go back and play it, unlike PQ, but it's 0,99&#8364; we are talking about! For that price? it's amazing! (><)

bought some of those, yes, I was complaining about HBX

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
This community man... someone from Gaf got me into a beta I wanted bad, I wont say what because of NDA (i dont know how it works so lol), such a great surprise, I wont say who because, again, I dont know how these NDAs work, but he knows who he is and im incredibly thankful. Thank you so much dude, and Gaf in general.

I already own this game, so I'm giving it away to anyone who wants it.
Its a decent game with cool visuals.

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

Strike Suit Zero -- MB-77B386DF5F55D41D - Taken by Dipper145

What OS are you using? What's your pc like? how much free space do you have?

Windows 8.1
i5-3570k
8gb RAM
Nvidia GTX 770
120gb SSD for OS
3TB HDD (1.5 TB free) for Steam/Origin

This seems recent to me, as I've not noticed this since I build the machine before Thanksgiving... I checked the recent Windows auto-update history and there's no record of driver changes.
I did upgrade some Nvidia software the other day, but the only way that would affect anything is possibly because the onboard audio is being output to the TV via the GTX 770s HDMI connection to my TV.

Insurgency is leaving early access next week. Does anyone know how many titles have been officially released and left early access?

I can only think of State of Decay so far.

Grief.exe

Insurgency is leaving early access next week. Does anyone know how many titles have been officially released and left early access?

I can only think of State of Decay so far.

Don't Starve.

I can't remember if that launched before the Early Access program or not, but it launched in an unfinished state.

Diedac

Great game. Enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Diedac:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Rules for this Giveaway:

Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-F4D94D0FFD72FED0 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk

Tactics

Amazing how keys mount up. Even found a few that I hadn't claimed. Have fun and don't sell, trade, give them away etc.
I give keys with the intention of use by those participating in these Steam threads. Not for a friend of their dog walkers cousin.

That said, its a multi-entry giveaway for a bunch of old bundle keys. Enter for them all if you like.

I won Greed Corp, thanks a lot! Just saw that it has hotseat support, which makes it even better.

jshackles

My server stats for Enhanced Steam tell me that Enhanced Steam's web traffic for the past week has now surpassed Steam's total web traffic for the Democratic Republic of the Congo.

Gotta start somewhere!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom