• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I think I found it.
But you wouldn't believe me if I told you.

For anyone else's benefit... I'll post it here.

So I bought up the list of sound devices before when I was trying to debug the issue.
I went into properties for my TV as the output device and noticed this one tab that had something along the lines of "post processing". NOTHING WAS CHECKED. There was a box for "disable all post processing of audio" but since nothing was checked and it worked fine previously, I had no reason to believe THIS would be the solution. Instead, I tried to put some of the post processing options into effect and the issue remained. I rebooted the PC after updating some windows components and proceeded to go turn OFF the post processing... in my searches, I found this URL:

http://corey.degrandchamp.com/2010/11/25/fixed-windows-7-sound-popping-cracking-skipping/

So I did as recommended and checked the "EFF YOU WINDOWS, DON'T EVER TOUCH MY AUDIO" button.

I think my sound is now fixed. o_O

Corrosivefrost is a bro and a scholar, thanks!

Thanks! Enjoy!

I like how Valve respects our intelligence and allows us to make decisions on our own by not severely limiting developers in the Early Access program.

What will cause the implosion is a large percentage of people who play videogames, if not the majority, are not capable of rational thought, making educated decisions, or constructing a proper sentence (go read Steam forums, youtube comments, etc).
That will bring the Early Access program to its knees.

Well it hasn't already happened, so there's that.

I like how Valve respects our intelligence and allows us to make decisions on our own by not severely limiting developers in the Early Access program.

What will cause the implosion is a large percentage of people who play videogames, if not the majority, are not capable of rational thought, making educated decisions, or constructing a proper sentence (go read Steam forums, youtube comments, Twitter, etc if you need proof for any of these conclusions).
That will bring the Early Access program to its knees.

Its already happening, at least with Steam they inform you.

406px-Battlefield_4.jpg

Bwahaha! I learned my lesson after Battlefield 3. It is still dumbfounding to me that they released BF4 in that state.

denx

Were people throwing hissy fits when the concept of open beta testing first came about?

Yeah, I don't understand why people see it fit to complain about this particular game. F2P MP only games usually have an open beta testing period. GRO isn't really the game to be complaining about Early Access imo.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Yeah, I don't understand why people see it fit to complain about this particular game. F2P MP only games usually have an open beta testing period. GRO isn't really the game to be complaining about Early Access imo.

Here's a crazy wild thought: People that don't like Early Access, don't buy games in Early Access.

I don't see how it being available for those that want to buy the game in an early state and see the evolution of it is detrimental to the end game release and your enjoyment of the game, 18 months from now.

Momentary

Banned
I really dislike this argument, it contradicts reality.

You usually see console warriors using it to justify the lack of PC ports. There are plenty of sales at full price, look at MGR, Rust, DayZ, Banner Saga, but a sale price brings in a consumer base that, likely, would not purchase your game in the first place. It grosses you a massive profit and massively expands your fan base, win/win.

Yeah. I bought Castlevania at a discount. They won me over, and now I'm going to pay full price for LoS2.

Grief.exe

Were people throwing hissy fits when the concept of open beta testing first came about?

A guy was going nuts last night in a DayZ thread because he had bought Rust off of Steam, later to become extremely disappointed due to its incomplete and buggy nature.

How he missed this is anyone's guess, but is a quick reminder of the validity of the statements I made previously

U99g7f5.png

Grief.exe

I agree with this. Better I have the option than not.

And better the developers have the option to finance great games as well.

Would a concept like Don't Starve exist? What about Rust? These are huge risks for relatively small studios.

Something like WarZ comes up and we literally got that taken off of the store. Not an Early Access game, but a relevant example of how the market turned on a bad game.

Yeah. I bought Castlevania at a discount. They won me over, and now I'm going to pay full price for LoS2.

Exactly. Its a win/win for Konami too, they generate a large amount of revenue for LoS1 and setup future gains through the sequel.

denx

Here's a crazy wild though: People that don't like Early Access, don't buy games in Early Access.

I get that. What I don't uderstand is why people seem to be making a big deal of this game being an AAA Early Access game when AAA developers usually put their F2P MP only games through an open beta testing period. This is not new, but somehow it's setting a "precedent". Also, you can't "buy" GRO since it's F2P so there's that.

Has that Ghost Recon Online game been getting updated a lot since its beta release over a year ago? I tried it when it first hit and it was alright.

Cth

I think everybody is waiting for my first impressions of Human Tanks
don't worry, I know you don't, it's just figure of speech ;)

The game is not exactly what I expected, so far (it's only 2 chapters, mind you, so it might change) it has a lot less gameplay and much more dialogue, almost feels like VN. Now, that's not necessary bad, as dialogue is quite funny at times. To give you an example of what's funny

Like that funny.

The gameplay is a bit like hidden ships game, only you can scan limited area, and have different tanks and attacks, they seem to be upgradable but I'm no there yet.
Also it might be that some achievements are glitched, or I had steam (connection) hiccup, as I haven't got this achievement, even if I got this victory.

sorry for huge pics, I thought I run action to make them smaller, but it seems I forgotten.

I just started playing the game as well..

Fun game so far.. kind of like a mix between Battleship and Stratego..

Basically, enemies are hidden under tiles with a commander hidden somewhere on the map. You have different units at your command. Some move quick/far which is good for exploring. You have long range artillery to take blind shots (ala Battleship), etc.

And for those interested in that sort of thing, the card market is really good (20-50 cents a card for regular, 2.75-20 foils)

But yeah, to get to the actual game there is a lot of setup/visual novel stuff in the beginning. Fun game so far!

Based on the steam gaf game of the year votes, I sat down to play Saints Row 4.

Good:
* Enjoyable setup and a great villain
* Speed running and super jumping is really fun
* The "mission missions" are quite well put together and there are some fun references to other games.

Bad:
* I never drove a car once I got powers, so aspects like cars and radio stations might as well not have been in the game.
* Apart from the few good missions, the rest of the game is side quests which quickly get boring.
* There is basically no challenge.

Overall it was fun while it lasted but a little too mindless for my taste. Unfortunately I played 10 hours before quitting and now I kind of bad about that part of my life that has slipped away. I would recommend getting it cheap, playing for a couple of hours and then bailing out early.

* I never drove a car once I got powers, so aspects like cars and radio stations might as well not have been in the game.

You could listen to the radio stations while you were running around, no need for cars. Nice to read your impressions and I pretty much agree with you on everything else you said.

Acccent

I don't know who was asking about the cute robots but I'm guessing it was Clairvoyance

edit: oh it was just a few posts above, I thought the question had been buried already.
Quoting for highlight:
No that's not it. IIRC it wasn't released when I saw it, but that was probaly early last year. Sucks that I can't remember the name for it since I thought it looked really interesting.

http://www.gameofclairvoyance.com/

graywolf323

Good:
* Enjoyable setup and a great villain
* Speed running and super jumping is really fun
* The "mission missions" are quite well put together and there are some fun references to other games.

Bad:
* Apart from the few good missions, the rest of the game is side quests which quickly get boring.
* There is basically no challenge.

Overall it was fun while it lasted but a little too mindless for my taste. Unfortunately I played 10 hours before quitting and now I kind of bad about that part of my life that has slipped away. I would recommend getting it cheap, playing for a couple of hours and then bailing out early.

it's been a little while since I played but pretty sure you can have radio stations going even while on foot

The Swapper is every bit as good as people here said it was. Possibly better, since now it has got controller support and my PC is still hooked up to the TV in the living with the couch. Glorious couch.

Ryne

I have a spare myself, so here's my first giveaway. Not much I know.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Strike Suit Zero -- MB-C320060CCCA7D2EA - Taken by adriano999. 24 entrants total.

t1389750350z1.png

Momentary

Banned
Seeing topics about people complaining about Early Access games makes me wish I could laugh in their face for how dumb they for expecting a full or even a halfway complete product.

I'm glad VALVe hasn't decided to pull them off. They've at least stopped them from showing up under new releases so that idiots who don't have a high enough education level to read don't mistakenly buy an Early Access.

I'm sorry, but people trying to find pity or are looking for someone to hear them roar over a obviously stated incomplete game will not get any sympathy from me.

r3n4ud

Quite a fun little game. Haven't finished it yet, but liked what I played so far :)

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Gravity Badgers -- MB-A87FEE0D97439DFA - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 7 entrants total.

t1389740540z1.png

You could listen to the radio stations while you were running around, no need for cars. Nice to read your impressions and I pretty much agree with you on everything else you said.

it's been a little while since I played but pretty sure you can have radio stations going even while on foot

True enough. It was just you got from point A to point B so fast (by the direct route) that there was never any cruising around or that moment where you hop in a new car and it happens to have a good song playing.

Nothing new of course, but I always like those moments in these sorts of games and it was a frequent joy in GTA5.

Not Steam related but I decided to watch the stream archive for the speed of HL during the AGDQ and I was impressed by how precise the guy was and how many glitches I had no idea existed.

Back on topic: Toki Tori 2 makes me feel so dumb during some puzzles. -_-

jbskfSFpO3SABg.png

So I finished Tomb Raider the other night and I had a really good time with it, a bit to my surprise. I kind of ignored it for the longest time because the impressions I heard from people who have played it left me uninterested, but a friend of mine insisted that I gave it a shot and for the $5 I picked it up at it wasn't much of a risk.

Yes MMBosstone, the QTEs weren't a big deal in the grand scheme of things, the implementation is dumb but once you learn what's what it doesn't really matter. The characters are terrible and I had no attachment to the plights of the Endurance crew. The "tense" scripted moments thrown at you are anything but. Having plot related injuries in the attempt to manufacture dramatic moments all the while I'm shrugging off bullets with regenerating health. There are a bunch of pointless collectibles and the audiologs in the form of audibly read journal entries make absolutely no sense. And seemingly everyone on the island not related to the plot is named Vladimir, Nikolai or Demitri.

However, that's all pretty easy to look past because the core of the game is really damn fun. It has that kind of mindless auto-platforming similar to Uncharted, but I found it more forgivable in this because there are several areas that are fairly big, sprawling, and open to actual exploration -- unlike Uncharted which was heavily linear and only used it for getting from point A to B. What really impressed me was the combat, which I wasn't expecting at all. The moment I saw regenerating health I threw out all expectations that this game wanted to play anything like its theme of survival, and I just placed myself into the mindset of a scrawny female Rambo and it worked. Shuffling around to throw dirt in a guy's eye and following it up with a shotgun blast to the face; shooting a flaming arrow to get enemies out of cover; shooting people off ziplines; shooting a guy standing up on a platform, causing him to stumble and fall to his death; shooting out the explosives thrown at you in mid-air, or shooting the thrower causing him to fumble and blow himself up; pulling people towards you with rope arrows; pulling apart enemy cover with rope arrows, it just goes on.

I was also impressed with the AI and just the general setup of combat scenarios and systems. Enemies would flush you out of cover with molotovs and explosives, but the game itself didn't play like a cover shooter -- namely because there wasn't a cover button to speak of. Lara would just contextually duck around things of appropriate height, and with the way I would charge the bow for shots, I was making myself more vulnerable than the typical pop and shot cover shooter. I also enjoyed that they never resorted to making enemies sponges, headshots would decisively end things and later enemies would be outfitted in armour that would visibly damage and shred off, making them a bit more resilient but just enough to give them a little more fight instead of making it tedious.

I just don't think I've had that much fun from a shoot-heavy game's combat options and setups since... maybe Crysis. I loved how much I'd just think on my feet and try to use the environment to my advantage as well as swapping up weaponry and engagement distances and have it all happen very smoothly. I was kind of expecting an Uncharted clone going into it, which is why I was ignoring it throughout the year because I always thought the Uncharted series was little more than mediocre games that people praise because of its presentation, but yeah, not the case for Tomb Raider. I'm coming out of the whole thing very satisfied.

Gvaz

Banned
Tomb Raider 2013 was better than uncharted 1 by a landslide. Never played the rest because the first made me mad.

Also aiming with a mouse and keyboard is way more satisfying than playing around with the freaking controller.

jbskfSFpO3SABg.png

So I finished Tomb Raider the other night and I had a really good time with it, a bit to my surprise. I kind of ignored it for the longest time because the impressions I heard from people who have played it left me uninterested, but a friend of mine insisted that I gave it a shot and for the $5 I picked it up at it wasn't much of a risk.

Yeah it was a decent game, I found funny that Lara was a mess on the cutscenes, hurting at everything, but on my gameplay was a cold ninja archer that took out the population of a town on herself.

I disliked that the loot and chests all that gave was numbers.

And somehow, I think they missed the boat on several references on how Lara Croft grows to be the character of the older games.

The multiplayer was crap, I played it for like an hour and never came back.

Still, I had fun with this game, pretty visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom