• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dammit, do I want this on Steam

tumblr_mzetr9AtiH1r8tgs3o2_1280.jpg

Thought I recognized a Vex in there, but I've been purposefully staying dark on Destiny details so I'm not tempted to pick up a next-gen console for it. I will hold fast for a PC release.

Having plot related injuries in the attempt to manufacture dramatic moments all the while I'm shrugging off bullets with regenerating health.

That was one of my main memories of the game. Blown up, shot, impaled, bitten, knifed.... nope, she'll shrug it off in a second. But that damn early spike through the stomach...she complains about that for the whole damn game.

I do have to say, watching the Tomb Raider 2 speedrun the other day made me really sad for what the series has become. I enjoyed TR 2013 well enough as well, but the old games were something special, if not just for the level design alone.

jbskfSFpO3SABg.png

<tr stuff>

I'm not quite done yet (I think only and hour or three left though) and I'd echo much of what you said about this game. Like I can easily pick out a good dozen or so criticisms of the game which should add up to a game that I don't like. Yet in spite of all the perfectly valid issues with the game I still I'm having a rather good time with it. As you mentioned the combat is quite nice, it's not deep per se, but it does a good job of keeping me engaged with things to balance and consider while I'm fighting. Plus the animations all make it feel nice and meaty when fighting. I also think that I have a soft spot for island exploring, I've not played the Uncharted games yet (which you mention not liking as much) but I honestly expect that I probably like those as well when I get around to them, there is just something so enjoyably gamey about climbing around exotic locations that appeals to me.

AHA-Lambda

Tomb Raider 2013 was better than uncharted 1 by a landslide. Never played the rest because the first made me mad.

Also aiming with a mouse and keyboard is way more satisfying than playing around with the freaking controller.

As a fan of the Uncharted series and someone who hated the Tomb Raider reboot, that's still not hard :p
Uncharted 1 ain't a great game.

Kiru

Already have it on Steam. Hope someone else wants it. :)
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Papo & Yo -- MB-158DAF5469ED893B - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk

Tomb Raider 2013 was better than uncharted 1 by a landslide. Never played the rest because the first made me mad.

Also aiming with a mouse and keyboard is way more satisfying than playing around with the freaking controller.

I use a controller for everything... so that's not a problem for me.

Uncharted 2 is heralded by many as the best in the series -- so much that you'd probably almost think it was a gift from God in PS3 disc form. But I disagree there -- it's just a mediocre cover based third person shooter which dropped a lot of the exploration and puzzle elements of Uncharted in favor of a really bad story filled with tons of action and shootbangs (probably because they spent so much time designing and refining a multiplayer component to the game -- it makes sense, right; focus on the aspect of the game you're putting tons of resources into for the single player to make use of that development time). Uncharted 3 gets a ton of hate, I think, because it moves the needle back toward the first installment's balance in terms of exploration/action. Reminds me of how people hate RE6 cause it's not RE4... but the core of RE6 is a solid TPS in a "survival horror" setting.

Anyway, sorry to rant, but it's a subject that fires me up.

Yeah it was a decent game, I found funny that Lara was a mess on the cutscenes, hurting at everything, but on my gameplay was a cold ninja archer that took out the population of a town on herself.

I disliked that the loot and chests all that gave was numbers.

And somehow, I think they missed the boat on several references on how Lara Croft grows to be the character of the older games.

The multiplayer was crap, I played it for like an hour and never came back.

Still, I had fun with this game, pretty visuals.

I also disliked that much of the loot was just experience. I mean, I guess you got some of the artifacts, but they were mostly plates and cups that looked similar to one another. Never bothered with the multi, as this seemed out of place, as it does in a bunch of games where they shoe-horn it on. I got 100% of the single player achievements and retired the game.

Thought I recognized a Vex in there, but I've been purposefully staying dark on Destiny details so I'm not tempted to pick up a next-gen console for it. I will hold fast for a PC release.

Well, at least it's a Bungie game. That would explain my quick look and thinking maybe it was Halo -- since there was talk about some of the Halo games on PC possibly coming to Steam when GFWL dies or something.

That was one of my main memories of the game. Blown up, shot, impaled, bitten, knifed.... nope, she'll shrug it off in a second. But that damn early spike through the stomach...she complains about that for the whole damn game.

I do have to say, watching the Tomb Raider 2 speedrun the other day made me really sad for what the series has become. I enjoyed TR 2013 well enough as well, but the old games were something special, if not just for the level design alone.

I didn't care for the old games much. I remember watching my room mate in college try to play Tomb Raider 2 with a keyboard and it just looked bad to me. I eventually gave the games a run when I scored the HD collection on PS3 for cheap and while there were some interesting or fun parts (good level/puzzle design in a lot of places), there were a lot of parts that I look back on without any fondness.

This reboot of the series... I liked it, possibly more than the Uncharted games, so I'm pretty happy with the direction, though I'd hope they'd have a bit more of the tombs (and make them more complex and longer this time around) in a sequel.

I'm not quite done yet (I think only and hour or three left though) and I'd echo much of what you said about this game. Like I can easily pick out a good dozen or so criticisms of the game which should add up to a game that I don't like. Yet in spite of all the perfectly valid issues with the game I still I'm having a rather good time with it. As you mentioned the combat is quite nice, it's not deep per se, but it does a good job of keeping me engaged with things to balance and consider while I'm fighting. Plus the animations all make it feel nice and meaty when fighting. I also think that I have a soft spot for island exploring, I've not played the Uncharted games yet (which you mention not liking as much) but I honestly expect that I probably like those as well when I get around to them, there is just something so enjoyably gamey about climbing around exotic locations that appeals to me.

See above for some Uncharted talk, if you're interested. ;)

As a fan of the Uncharted series and someone who hated the Tomb Raider reboot, that's still not hard :p
Uncharted 1 ain't a great game.

I disagree - Uncharted is the best of its series, followed closely by Uncharted 3. But that's a discussion best reserved for another thread.

denx

TR 2013 is fun. Not GOTY material, but a pretty damn fun game nonetheless, very much worth the 12 dollar I paid for it.

I wonder if Derrick is having a stroke right now.

r3n4ud

TR 2013 is fun. Not GOTY material, but a pretty damn fun game nonetheless, very much worth the 12 dollar I paid for it.

This is why Derrick gets banned. When people say things likes this, the guy flys off the handle ;)

Curious_George

Neo Member
Giveaway time again:

Awesome, thanks for Surgeon Sim (quick looks I watched made it look like some fantastic, stupid fun). I've been planning on purchasing the bundle but there was nothing in the BTA I wanted except for Surgeon sim.

I think I will give out copy of Runner 2 soon though soon once I grab the bundle since I will have an extra (and maybe To the Moon and Papo & Yo too later since I'm not sure if I'll ever play them).

AHA-Lambda

Can anyone give any impressions on both 7 Days to Die and Nether?

Not the easiest to get impressions/reviews on early access stuff =/

I didn't care for the old games much. I remember watching my room mate in college try to play Tomb Raider 2 with a keyboard and it just looked bad to me. I eventually gave the games a run when I scored the HD collection on PS3 for cheap and while there were some interesting or fun parts (good level/puzzle design in a lot of places), there were a lot of parts that I look back on without any fondness.

See above for some Uncharted talk, if you're interested. ;)

The old Tomb Raider games are actually really hard for me to play, for a somewhat odd reason. I have terrible, terrible 3D navigation and landmarking skills. In those games I always end up getting lost in a maze of look alike rooms, unable to easily tell which way I came from and which way I'm going. Silly I know, but my brain just seems to do a poor job of figuring out which way is which in 3D platformers like that. As such I liked that in spite of having some bigger navigation areas (which I enjoyed) TR 2013 always gave me an easy navigation point to get back on the main path. Worked well for a gamer like me, I love big levels and multiple paths but I still need a way to stay on the straight and narrow for when I get frustrated. Heck in super basic character action games like Bayo or DMC4 after a battle sequence I often have to run back and forth a bit just to remember where I came from and where I'm heading next, and those are as basic as can be.

Thanks for the Uncharted impressions BTW, I'll be trying them in order I'm pretty sure, so I'll get a chance to see how the progression feels as I move along.

Grief.exe

How do you tell if you have military grade rounds or regular rounds in your weapons in Last Light?

I am looking at the Tab menu and its not that easy to tell.

Curious_George

Neo Member
Runner series is a blast but I already have this so hopefully someone else can enjoy.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Bit Trip Runner 2 -- MB-0C40C65B19D820A4 - Taken by poopninjamvc3mk. 6 entrants total.

t1389744319z1.png

I disliked that the loot and chests all that gave was numbers.

And somehow, I think they missed the boat on several references on how Lara Croft grows to be the character of the older games.
Yeah, it's unnecessary padding that I think modern games need to cut away from I agree. I also thought it was goofy that I was on a mission to make all wildlife I come across extinct for the sake of weapon upgrade fodder. Still, I didn't mind the collectible stuff too much just in the abstract sense of things to collect within a game, I actually went out of my way post-game to grab the rest just because they made them easy to track and hunt out.

But even though I have no real attachment to the series otherwise I still had a dumb smile at the end when
Lara started dual wielding pistols.

I always feel bad about reboots for that reason, even if I don't care about the series otherwise. I mean the most fun I had from a mainline Tomb Raider game before this was diving into rocks in the demo for TR2, but I'd still prefer taking this design shift into a new IP rather than alienating older fans. Same goes for RE, with RE4 being my favourite in the series whereas I couldn't stand the previous ones. But I understand why it's way more appealing to stick to reboots from a marketing standpoint.

He'll huff and puff and replay FF7.

Backlogger

An extra from today's additions to the HB X

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:

HOARD -- MB-25E1844BB8A4544F - Taken by Shepard

m.gorecki

An extra from the Bundle Stars bundle.

ModBot said:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Stealth Bastard Deluxe -- MB-04FC2BA7598116C8 - Taken by jediyoshi

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I know, I know. :lol

It really looks like Halo 4 in that shot though. Or Mass Effect in the others.
Haha, I thought the enemies looked like Star Wars droids.

MGR is amazing. Fights are extremely intense, and the plot sounds interesting so far. I don't really like having codec calls interrupting the game so often, though I always listen to them and the optional ones (I can't complain about the latter, because I trigger them at will).

neoism

a guys I just got an ssd and was wondering just installed steam but it will not remember my password or start in online mode.... It starts in offline and going to online just beings me back to the login without my password.....? :/

also anyone please answer... I just installed Windows 7 and I'm not sure if I downloaded any drivers that I needed is there a good video guide or something...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
a guys I just got an ssd and was wondering just installed steam but it will not remember my password or start in online mode.... It starts in offline and going to online just beings me back to the login without my password.....? :/

LOL you're just having bad luck.
Steam is down right now, thats why you're getting the error.

denx

Steam is ded, I'm jumping ship to Origin.
downloading BF3 with all the DLC on my internet connection is the worst thing ever. Next gen downloads I'm cry

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Came in to check if Steam was going nuts for anyone else.

My Steam is still up, but keeps disconnecting and reconnecting from chat, and some of my friends are having trouble launching stuff.

Cidd

Came in to check if Steam was going nuts for anyone else.

My Steam is still up, but keeps disconnecting and reconnecting from chat, and some of my friends are having trouble launching stuff.

Yeah I almost went into panic mode thinking my account was hacked or something, thank god for GAF.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom