• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
8 minutes ago another batch of Metacritic information removals went out. It looks like Metacritic information on Steam is no more.

My guess is that it will take them months to remove the "Metascore" field in the search results.

But then how will I know what games to play? :(

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
But then how will I know what games to play? :(

I speculate that they'll be replacing this with their user reviews feature. It would be nice if they did what I've done with the latest Enhanced Steam, which is provide a composite "score" for each game. I guess time will tell.

cM4vhmQ.gif
Whoever wins Bad Rats will enjoy that masterpiece.

I speculate that they'll be replacing this with their user reviews feature. It would be nice if they did what I've done with the latest Enhanced Steam, which is provide a composite "score" for each game. I guess time will tell.

I don't like scores, they can just list the recommended reviews alongside the non recommended. Then you can sort it my date, helpfulness, etc..

Fuck me I hate that ubisoft and ea feel the need to have their own games system that forces people over to their system and doesn't have the option of steam play.

It's just annoying and selfish, and annoying.

At least with uplay you can buy the games on steam but I shouldn't have to have three game clients installed on my system. So freaking bad!!! I really like a lot of ubisoft games and since they're generally available on steam I put up with uplay but the only game I buy on origin is battlefield. I want to get need for speed rivals but since it's not on steam I'm not going to buy. Mores the pity for you ea.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I don't like scores, they can just list the recommended reviews alongside the non recommended. Then you can sort it my date, helpfulness, etc..

If reviews could be sorted by anything other than "helpfulness" or "recently updated", that would be a huge improvement.

Fuck me I hate that ubisoft and ea feel the need to have their own games system that forces people over to their system and doesn't have the option of steam play.

At least with uplay you can buy the games on steam but I shouldn't have to have three game clients installed on my system. So freaking bad!!! I really like a lot of ubisoft games and since they're generally available on steam I put up with uplay but the only game I buy on origin is battlefield. I want to get need for speed rivals but since it's not on steam I'm not going to buy. Mores the pity for you ea.

Just simply uninstall EA and Uplay games, there are enough other titles to enjoy on Steam and GoG. Join us.
me.

jshackles

You'll be happy to know that Ubisoft seems to be letting up on their Uplay policies lately. Rocksmith 2014 no longer needs the Uplay launcher, and several Ubisoft games (retail) may now start shipping with Steam keys.

Vote with your wallet people!

Turfster

You'll be happy to know that Ubisoft seems to be letting up on their Uplay policies lately. Rocksmith 2014 no longer needs the Uplay launcher, and several Ubisoft games (retail) may now start shipping with Steam keys.

I'll buy all the games I skipped if they're Steam versions/non uPlay/without fucked up DRM.
All of them, Ubisoft.
Your move.
(Of course, they'll probably draw the wrong conclusions)

jshackles

I'll buy all the games I skipped if they're Steam versions/non uPlay/without fucked up DRM.
All of them, Ubisoft.
Your move.
(Of course, they'll probably draw the wrong conclusions)

Same here, even with Electronic Arts. I'd buy Sim City, Syndicate, Dragon Age 2, Mass Effect 3, and Dead Space 3 all day one if Electronic Arts released pure-Steam versions.

Seagoon

Does that mean I'll be able to move my small uPlay library over to Steam in the future or is that wishful thinking?

jshackles

Looks like the Metacritic information that was being removed earlier was just a bug or something, it's all being added back now.

Does that mean I'll be able to move my small uPlay library over to Steam in the future or is that wishful thinking?

Still pretty wishful thinking at this point. However, if Ubi shuts down Uplay it's conceivable they would roll everything into Steam. That's what a few publishers have done now that GFWL is dead/dying.

jshackles

FloatOn

Spare me a moment and listen to me bitch about how GFWL is a fucking cancer on humanity.

For some stupid reason I can't sign in and that is preventing me from loading my save in Fallout 3. Now I'm going to have to go through the trouble of figuring out the problem or getting the mod that kills GFWL.

I don't have time for this anymore!111!!!!11!!!!

Turfster

Spare me a moment and listen to me bitch about how GFWL is a fucking cancer on humanity.

For some stupid reason I can't sign in and that is preventing me from loading my save in Fallout 3. Now I'm going to have to go through the trouble of figuring out the problem or getting the mod that kills GFWL.

I don't have time for this anymore!111!!!!11!!!!
Weren't they in the process of patching GFWL out of FO3?

These gestures often get lost in the hustle and bustle of the Steam thread (and particularly amid some of the shenanigans of the past several hours), but I just wanted to say that this was very classy and thoughtful, SpongeBob. Nice one. :)

Thanks for noticing, but they were keys that I was saving up for a ModBot giveaway, so it was no biggie - plus, this way, I can be happy that the keys have gone to somebody who was genuinely interested in giving the games a go.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Weren't they in the process of patching GFWL out of FO3?
They haven't put out an official statement or anything yet.

However, people noticed that they had been fucking with the registry entry, including even removing the cd-check. It still requires gfwl at the moment, though.

Sarcasm

Here yea go! Keep in mind you need Windows 8.1 to play this. (Not a steam game really btw)

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sarcasm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Project Sparks Beta (requires W8.1) -- MB-656898604C1673B1 - Taken by DJSebolski. 3 entrants total.

t1389767585z1.png

jshackles

Reposting this but, ES kind of goes nuts if you are in a foreign store duplicating stuff. Is that intended?

That's definitely not normal. Are you running both the browser plugin and the standalone version?

jshackles

I might be. Is that the cause?

Yeah that's definitely it. I recommend that at this time if you'd like to run both, that you disable some of the redundant features in the extension options (such as price history and DRM warnings)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom