• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

I poked around on this a little, because I'll probably give that mode a shot someday:

If... you are slightly holding down R when reloading then you will switch to military rounds and its almost impossible to tell if you are playing on Ranger/hardcore.

If the problem persists the only way I can see to guarantee that you don't use military rounds is to use a non-assault rifle weapon.

Do you mean how do you tell which ones your'e using in the gun? If so I think if you tap the reload button it will us dirty ammo, but if you hold the reload button it will use military grade ammo. But in Ranger there's no way of see how much of each ammo you have other than at trade depots.

Ya I figured as much. Was seeing if there was a way to inspect the gun to see for sure.

Gah, Skullgirls for $5.99 w/ 20% off coupon at Gamefly. I don't even really like fighting games all that much, but at that price, screw it, why not.

Y'all are some damn bad influences. My backlog is bad enough!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Don't hate on that guy too much, because...

lskBIyy.jpg

And here is my review.

Though I did say this later.

Backlogger

So steam just uninstalled Morrowind (and bunch of other games)..is my save gone?

Not sure if you figured it out yet but you should be okay. Morrowind uses Steam Cloud, but also I believe you should be able to find local save files at C:\Users\{username}\Documents\My Games\morrowind

Many other save files for other games are probably in or around your Documents folder as well

vg260

Wow. I was really interested, but 16 gigs?!? I just freed up enough space for XCOM..

Any other impressions?

I go to download pool nation and its said I needed 17gb then I go to download it and it is downloading only 1.1gb wonder why youd need 17gb for that unless its some sort of odd error

I saw on the Steam board there's some sort of error in the size listings. It's 1.1 GB download and 4.3 GB installed. Glad I didn't get scared off by that misinfo and picked it up. Seems like a competent pool game.

How do you guys have your games library view setup?

Version 1
listt5ae7.png

Version 2
tiledinfoeexyc.png

Version 3
tiles3hblh.png

I've always had mine setup on the list, but then I scroll through and think... fffff what should I play next, and now I changed it to the tiles one (Version 1) just this week and I've played a way bigger variety of games in the last few days and am really enjoying it this way. Actually having a little picture of what to play helps heaps. Big picture mode is obviously the best for when you need to play on the TV but not everything works with a controller. I wish everything could be done with a controller only. Sometimes I just want to sit back and play Anno or Command and Conquer with a controller rather than sitting at my desk.

Backlogger

So yeah, it's a pretty good feature that could be made SO much better if Steam had a way for Enhanced Steam to know exactly how many positive / negative reviews a particular game has.

I wonder if they intentionally coded the review pages to be difficult to scrape. I don't know how crazy you can get on it (it would probably be best if there were just a line or header that said the exact number of reviews) but could you force all the reviews to load on a page like this and then scan the HTML to tally all the recommended and not recommended reviews? Or would that not perform very well when trying to load the data?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/reviews/#scrollTop=1000000

I don't know how anyone could find the idea of a trucking simulator even mildly entertaining... I mean SERIOUSLY what is supposed to be fun about that shit?

Detruire

Neo Member

[images]

I've always had mine setup on the list, but then I scroll through and think... fffff what should I play next, and now I changed it to the tiles one (Version 1) just this week and I've played a way bigger variety of games in the last few days and am really enjoying it this way. Actually having a little picture of what to play helps heaps.

I use the first (default) one. I prefer having my categories show up, rather than the tiles: when it comes to picking a game to play, knowing the genre is more helpful than seeing the pretty pictures; it also scrolls smoother on my laptop, and I can collapse categories with genres/junk that I'm not interested in.

If the tile view still grouped games into categories, like the other two views do, I'd probably use that on my desktop.

Gah, Skullgirls for $5.99 w/ 20% off coupon at Gamefly. I don't even really like fighting games all that much, but at that price, screw it, why not.

Y'all are some damn bad influences. My backlog is bad enough!

Skullgirls, and fighters in general, aren't really backlog games.
Besides, you supported a great game by a small development team.
Thank you. :)

I don't know how anyone could find the idea of a trucking simulator even mildly entertaining... I mean SERIOUSLY what is supposed to be fun about that shit?

Sometimes you just want to get in a car (truck) and drive...

I've always had mine setup on the list, but then I scroll through and think... fffff what should I play next, and now I changed it to the tiles one (Version 1) just this week and I've played a way bigger variety of games in the last few days and am really enjoying it this way. Actually having a little picture of what to play helps heaps. Big picture mode is obviously the best for when you need to play on the TV but not everything works with a controller. I wish everything could be done with a controller only. Sometimes I just want to sit back and play Anno or Command and Conquer with a controller rather than sitting at my desk.

I use Version 1, showing installed games only. I don't keep a lot of games installed so I like having a single, informative page for each game I do have installed.

I use the first (default) one. I prefer having my categories show up, rather than the tiles: when it comes to picking a game to play, knowing the genre is more helpful than seeing the pretty pictures; it also scrolls smoother on my laptop, and I can collapse categories with genres/junk that I'm not interested in.

If the tile view still grouped games into categories, like the other two views do, I'd probably use that on my desktop.

How do you make no.1 sort by genre?

EDIT - OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Set Category. Okay well now I have something like 250 games to go through and set the category manually for each of them, that'll be fun but it will be SO much better once it's done. I wish they automatically had an option for genre as category.

Detruire

Neo Member
I wonder if they intentionally coded the review pages to be difficult to scrape. I don't know how crazy you can get on it (it would probably be best if there were just a line or header that said the exact number of reviews) but could you force all the reviews to load on a page like this and then scan the HTML to tally all the recommended and not recommended reviews? Or would that not perform very well when trying to load the data?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/237990/reviews/#scrollTop=1000000

There isn't any need to scrape it: you can pull the votes/reviews in JSON format.

It's certainly possible to tally the review votes, and I don't think it's fundamentally difficult, but it's definitely not something that I'd want to be doing too often

Some duplicates, enjoy.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Surgeon Simulator 2013 -- MB-D7FCB7545586ED56
Hoard -- MB-357A17DC1CF01994
To The Moon -- MB-9DC817288791BB62
Joe Danger 2: The Movie -- MB-1C0CD78059FB6436

t1389776181z1.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
EDIT - OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHH, Set Category. Okay well now I have something like 250 games to go through and set the category manually for each of them, that'll be fun but it will be SO much better once it's done. I wish they automatically had an option for genre as category.

Depressurizer can ease the burden.

The-Bean

Give this a go, should make your life a bit easier.

Edit: Go drown in some gravy, JaseC.

Detruire

Neo Member
How do you make no.1 sort by genre?

Yep, I categorised my games into genres:

abqutL7.png

It's a bit of a nightmare to do when you have games that overlap genres, don't really fit anywhere, etc..

I'd also say that it's kind of a good thing that it's not automatic, though: I have hundreds of games that Steam has in barely-related or horribly loose (ie: Adventure) genres.

abqutL7.png

It's a bit of a nightmare to do when you have games that overlap genres, don't really fit anywhere, etc..

I'd also say that it's kind of a good thing that it's not automatic, though: I have hundreds of games that Steam has in barely-related or horribly loose (ie: Adventure) genres.

That's why I have an Action category, pretty much anything can be shoehorned into action!

abqutL7.png

I like some of your classifications.
I always have trouble on figuring out where to place certain games that break genres and such too.

Assassin's Creed kind of ends up being Stealth for me, I guess? Though it fits in others.
I do have an adventure category, but it's not subbed with the POINT AND CLICK... I need to do that... so that way other games can fit into ADVENTURE if needed.

I've also toyed with the idea of doing major groups by developer:
UBISOFT
CAPCOM
VALVE

Or by Franchise if it's got 2-3+ entries:
ASSASSIN'S CREED
HALF-LIFE
PORTAL
TOMB RAIDER
RAYMAN

But I haven't found the key to what I really like yet. :|

Exuro

Detailed view is best, but I they could do a better job at showing the details like achievements, friends who play this, ect

My key didn't activate the Soundtrack Edition as it should have:

dohepftt.jpg

D'oh.

My key contained the Soundtrack Edition initially and it showed up in the DLC tab. It was removed later. I'm not sure exactly why since I backed the game at a tier that includes the soundtrack. Looking at the time of Retroid's post ... it may have been from before they removed it (I'm not sure exactly though).

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
My key contained the Soundtrack Edition initially and it showed up in the DLC tab. It was removed later. I'm not sure exactly why since I backed the game at a tier that includes the soundtrack.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Edit: Next Car Game is up on the store. $25 for the standard edition or $50 for the DDE.

Detruire

Neo Member
I like some of your classifications.
I always have trouble on figuring out where to place certain games that break genres and such too.

Assassin's Creed kind of ends up being Stealth for me, I guess? Though it fits in others.
I do have an adventure category, but it's not subbed with the POINT AND CLICK... I need to do that... so that way other games can fit into ADVENTURE if needed.

I've also toyed with the idea of doing major groups by developer:
UBISOFT
CAPCOM
VALVE

Or by Franchise if it's got 2-3+ entries:
ASSASSIN'S CREED
HALF-LIFE
PORTAL
TOMB RAIDER
RAYMAN

But I haven't found the key to what I really like yet. :|

I'm obsessive when it comes to organisation/categorisation, and I love to be specific wherever possible. It's thanks to that that I ended up with those sub-categories, and they're quite helpful given how differently point-and-click games play compared to 3D/first-person ones (they require different moods to play and enjoy, imo.)

I thought the same re the AC games: mine are in the Stealth category. :)

I've never considered using publishers. They wouldn't work as good categories for me because I'm inclined to forget who published what.

That's why I have an Action category, pretty much anything can be shoehorned into action!

I avoided a generic Action category because it would have ended up containing hundreds of games... not very helpful in narrowing my list down. ;)

I'm obsessive when it comes to organisation/categorisation, and I love to be specific wherever possible. It's thanks to that that I ended up with those sub-categories, and they're quite helpful given how differently point-and-click games play compared to 3D/first-person ones (they require different moods to play and enjoy, imo.)

I thought the same re the AC games: mine are in the Stealth category. :)

I've never considered using publishers. They wouldn't work as good categories for me because I'm inclined to forget who published what.

I avoided a generic Action category because it would have ended up containing hundreds of games... not very helpful in narrowing my list down. ;)

Generic ACTION is what I reserved for games like DMC3/DMC4/MGR:R and anything in those lines of combo weapon heavy precision gameplay.

The spanning of genres really pisses me off though... like the Mass Effect games. They play mostly like a Third person cover-based shooter, with some RPG elements like inventory and experience.

Hotline Miami and Guacamelee were equally baffling to me. As well as the Darksiders games. I threw the Darksiders games into ACTION RPG because they have some semblence of the ACTION combat I mention above but rely on leveling/upgrade systems (and loot in Darksiders 2) more than the former. I think I threw Hotline Miami into RUN & GUN and I have no idea where I put Guacamelee...

I had a category called METROIDVANIA, but I didn't like that one so much and strove to recategorize anything in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom