• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a category called GOAT. Currently populated by FTL, Hotline Miami, XCOM, and Mount and Blade: Warband. I have more games that can probably be in this category, but I need to play them first!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
I follow the genre convention as well, but I do so for what I consider to be the main mechanics and means of control or presentation instead. Basically the "what is the main type of game play I take away from this title".

F.E.A.R. and Dead Space can fit in as horror genre for story telling, but I'm far more comfortable with placing them as FPS and Third Person Shooter instead. Tomb Raider reboot also fits as a Third Person Shooter to me.
Point and Click Adventure for Sam & Max, while Stacking is a puzzle game.
Platformer 3D for Psychonaughts and early Tomb Raiders, Platformer 2D in regards to Thomas Was Alone or Joe Danger.
A few oddities just due to the main focus of what I'm playing for, such as Survival for Don't Starve and Shelter. Likewise Waking Mars is an Exploration game to me.
Sometimes I will make an exception though for a franchise, such as all the Sonic The Hedgehog games simply being in the Sonic category. Likewise Fallout.

I don't do a generic "Action", but I will do a Side-Scroller Linear" for things like Zack Zero or a "Side-Scroller Open World" for Cave Story or La-Mulana. I've come to accept the idea of Character Action for Marlow, Dante, and Raiden's adventures.

In the end I really never force anything too hard, as it's all about helping me find a game faster rather than being a "perfect categorisation". I know quite well if I gave into making everything "just right", I would spend time classifying everything and never being fully happy on numerous titles, when I could instead use them to be playing games.

That said, still no idea where to put AaAaAA!!!.

Anteater

I used some auto sort program thing for genres, and it tossed like 80% of my games into action and a bunch of games into a bunch of different categories.

I have not used detail view ever since :(

I follow the genre convention as well, but I do so for what I consider to be the main mechanics and means of control or presentation instead. Basically the "what is the main type of game play I take away from this title".

F.E.A.R. and Dead Space can fit in as horror genre for story telling, but I'm far more comfortable with placing them as FPS and Third Person Shooter instead. Tomb Raider reboot also fits as a Third Person Shooter to me.
Point and Click Adventure for Sam & Max, while Stacking is a puzzle game.
Platformer 3D for Psychonaughts and early Tomb Raiders, Platformer 2D in regards to Thomas Was Alone or Joe Danger.
A few oddities just due to the main focus, such as Survival for Don't Starve and Shelter.
Sometimes I will make an exception though for a franchise, such as all the Sonic The Hedgehog games simply being in the Sonic category. Likewise Fallout.

I don't do a generic "Action", but I will do a Side-Scroller Linear" for things like Zack Zero or a "Side-Scroller Open World" for Cave Story or La-Mulana.

In the end I really never force anything too hard, as it's all about helping me find a game faster rather than being a "perfect categorisation". I know quite well if I gave into making everything "just right", I would spend time classifying everything and never being fully happy on numerous titles, when I could instead use them to be playing games.

I agree with AaAaAA and games like it. It's why I have a BIT.TRIP category -- it was easier to lump all their games together than to force round pegs into square holes.

I've found that I started putting things like Dear Esther and Gone Home into CASUAL... not sure how I feel about that.

I do have a HORROR category and it has things like Amnesia and Outlast as well as Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Dead Rising.

However, F.E.A.R and it's series slotted into FIRST PERSON SHOOTER.

Trying to find the perfect method of categorization is so damn annoying. :)

KenOD

I also don't do anything such as GOAT (why would I celebrate a goat when ducks are far better and have more games on Steam?) mostly because I forever have a hard time choosing my favourites at any given moment and replay most everything.

If I truly want a title to remain somewhere I will constantly see it, I simply leave it without a category with the various titles I haven't played yet (only titles I've played and mostly completed/I feel finished with go into a category).

I agree with AaAaAA and games like it. It's why I have a BIT.TRIP category -- it was easier to lump all their games together than to force round pegs into square holes.

I've found that I started putting things like Dear Esther and Gone Home into CASUAL... not sure how I feel about that.

I do have a HORROR category and it has things like Amnesia and Outlast as well as Dead Space, Resident Evil, and Dead Rising.

Trying to find the perfect method of categorization is so damn annoying. :)

For Dear Esther, Gone Home, To The Moon, etc, I went with "Pure Story" as that's really just what I'm going into them for.

Amnesia and Huntsman are two titles I've yet to play and I'm not sure where I'll end up placing them. Perhaps I'll do Horror after all, but separate it in Horror First Person and Horror Third Person. Lord help me if Capcom ever releases Sweet Home on Steam though.

A BIT.TRIP category or something to that affect might work. Though I'll have to pick a catch-all name since I don't want to name it after one title unless it's a franchise collection. For example instead of "Katamari Damacy" as a category I went with Pick-Em-Up for titles like The Wonderful End Of The World.

Grief.exe

Version 3
tiles3hblh.png

Version 3 showing installed only.

ibCItsruXPMF2.png

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Unrelated: What's the happy hour you're waiting for?
Related: is that a typo?

Basically, if you purchased the BTA bundle in the first week and buy again (as a gift), you get four bundles; if you purchased during the second week, you get three bundles; and finally, if you're a new purchaser, you get two. (Indie Gala does bump up the BTA price by a few bucks, though.) Also, it was less a typo and more a Simpsons reference. ;)

denx

I'm going to be spending a lot of time putting everything into categories

Don't do that. Join me in the "not even bothering with categories #yolo" group!

Oh yeah, I just played a little BF3. This is probably not news to any of you, but oh man the browser Battlelog system is so bad. :(

Version 3 showing installed only.

ibCItsruXPMF2.png

How did you get the spacing so tight? I tried editing the layout file, but it seems not to have had any effect.

Basically, if you purchased the BTA bundle in the first week and buy again (as a gift), you get four bundles; if you purchased during the second week, you get three bundles; and finally, if you're a new purchaser, you get two. (Indie Gala does bump up the BTA price by a few bucks, though.) Also, it was less a typo and more a Simpsons reference. ;)

Shame on me for not knowing that it was a Simpsons reference.
I don't quite get what's going on with HH -- so I can buy Indiegala again at a new rate and get 4 more bundles? Weird.

If you purchased the bundle within the first week, yes.

So this would apply to the new bundle today, eventually? Indie Gala January or whatever?

JaseC

How did you get the spacing so tight? I tried editing the layout file, but it seems not to have had any effect.

You need to edit Steam's general gamespage_grid.layout in Steam\resource\layout, not the one in the skin's folder.

I don't quite get what's going on with HH -- so I can buy Indiegala again at a new rate and get 4 more bundles? Weird.

If you purchased the bundle within the first week, yes.

Grief.exe

Wait, how do you get the grid images that close together? I'm also using Air.

Steam/Resource/Layout/gamespage_grid

interiorspacing and GridView.DropShadowLeading set to 00

I've also had success Steam/Skins/*Skin Name*/Resource/Layout/gamespage_grid

mirroring those values set in the main gamespage file.

From there, play with the slider in grid mode to make them close together.

Dolken

Neo Member
Hmm… I might do a giveaway later today containing Nidhogg but I’m not sure when that will be. It all depends on whether or not Humble Store decides to cooperate with me.

KenOD

New patch for Völgar

"* Volgarr can now step up a few pixels automatically when walking instead of being required to jump over very tiny ledges." makes me very happy.

Sober

After playing Revengence and seeing Darksiders 2 show up on sale again, I might jump back into DS2 and finish all the DLC I didn't bother to wait for when I bought it at launch.

Also the only good part of that game is the combat so I'm going to see if I can clear the 100 wave gauntlet challenge in the game.

Grief.exe

Hotline Miami has sold, at least, 1 million copies

pseJep4.png

After playing Revengence and seeing Darksiders 2 show up on sale again, I might jump back into DS2 and finish all the DLC I didn't bother to wait for when I bought it at launch.

Also the only good part of that game is the combat so I'm going to see if I can clear the 100 wave gauntlet challenge in the game.

How is the combat in that game compared to MGR?

Seriously guys. Just go to the river in Darkroot Garden in Dark Souls, when you climb up to the area where the forest covenant is. We're talking about legit N64 textured water there. No hyperbole in that statement.

For those that still have Dark Souls installed, can I get a screenshot for the water in question?

JaseC

So this would apply to the new bundle today, eventually? Indie Gala January or whatever?

Yeah, if you bought the bundle now you'd receive four bundles when buying it again during Happy Hour. To reiterate, the Happy Hour purchase must be a gift and you must use the same e-mail address as earlier (I stuffed this up once when I was buying up bundles for the big giveaway just before the Autumn Sale -- I accidentally used @internode.net rather than @internode.on.net).

Ban Puncher

Hotline Miami has sold, at least, 1 million copies

pseJep4.png

Make that 1000001 copies.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hotline Miami -- MB-143ACA03BB65C084

t1389780456z1.png

JaseC

My key contained the Soundtrack Edition initially and it showed up in the DLC tab. It was removed later. I'm not sure exactly why since I backed the game at a tier that includes the soundtrack. Looking at the time of Retroid's post ... it may have been from before they removed it (I'm not sure exactly though).

I'm quoting this again because I think I know what happened. There seems to be only one backer sub and while the soundtrack was originally included, it was later removed. My guess is that DF sent out keys pertaining to the aforementioned sub to every backer and needs to make a new one for those pledged at $30 or above, inclusive of the soundtrack (or hand out keys tied to just the soundtrack itself). Can somebody who pledged below $30 check to see if their account history says "Broken Age - Backer Key" also?

Caerith

I'm quoting this again because I think I know what happened. There seems to be only one backer sub and while the soundtrack was originally included, it was later removed. My guess is that DF sent out keys pertaining to the aforementioned sub to every backer and needs to make a new one for those pledged at $30 or above, inclusive of the soundtrack. Can somebody who pledged below $30 check to see if their account history says "Broken Age - Backer Key" also?

I have the soundtrack on my humble page but not in my DLC. This is true for everyone who pledged $30 and over?

Grief.exe

I'm having trouble calming myself down for a slow, atmospheric game like Metro: Last Light.

I've grown accustomed to metal music blaring and constantly parrying things at a blistering pace from MGR.

yuraya

Detail view with categories seems to be easiest way of doing things. I also find it helpful to create a category called "Zfinished" XD to put the games I've completed into that category so I can focus on other games.

WBUCVmJ.gif

Caerith

I'm having trouble calming myself down for a slow, atmospheric game like Metro: Last Light.

I've grown accustomed to metal music blaring and constantly parrying things at a blistering pace from MGR.
Maybe Cook, Serve, Delicious is better suited to your current state.

Knurek

What is amazing about the newest Indie Gala bundle is that all games featured (except those Desura ones) are not older than three months.

Two Brothers: Dec 2013
Ballpoint Universe: Dec 2013
Gravity Badgers: Nov 2013
Tales of Maj'Eyal: Dec 2013 (older game, but just added to Steam)
RavenSword: Dec 2013

I mean... Who puts their game in a bundle that soon? After not even being in one Steam Seal? Who?

denx

*brofist* The only order I need is alphabetical order. :p (Then again, I don't use skins and look at my library in detail view, so what do I know? >.>)

I do the same, detail view and alphabetical order.

I like you people
(but I do use the Pixelvision skin).

The reason why I don't use categories is because I tried to categorize my games once, but I couldn't come up with a category system that satisfied me. I find genre categories particularly bad: there are games that fit in more than one genre and others that flatout defy genre categorization, so trying to order your library by genres is just a pain in the ass.

I was hoping by some dumb luck that the code on the back of my 007 manual would work on Steam but it didn't :(
I've been trying to insert this Genesis copy of OutRun into my A: drive in the hopes that it would somehow transfer a copy of OR2k6 to my account but that didn't work. I even enabled Big Picture mode so that it couldn't possibly go anywhere else. Alas...

JaseC

In a perfect world, Acti would remove GFWL from Quantum of Solace and make keys Steam-friendly.

Detruire

Neo Member

Oh, definitely. Far too many games that don't fit snugly into one category or another to get put off when something isn't perfect.

I ended up putting the Aaaaa[...] games into my Sports category. :p
It's a very loose fit, but I figured that they're kind of base jumping, and that is almost a sport.

For Dear Esther, Gone Home, To The Moon, etc, I went with "Pure Story" as that's really just what I'm going into them for.

Amnesia and Huntsman are two titles I've yet to play and I'm not sure where I'll end up placing them. Perhaps I'll do Horror after all, but separate it in Horror First Person and Horror Third Person. Lord help me if Capcom ever releases Sweet Home on Steam though

These all ended up in Adventure/Adventure 2D for me.

I've avoided adding categories like Horror category because I've been using mine to indicate the style of game rather than the theme/story.

Oh, definitely. Far too many games that don't fit snugly into one category or another to get put off when something isn't perfect.

I ended up putting the Aaaaa[...] games into my Sports category. :p
It's a very loose fit, but I figured that they're kind of base jumping, and that is almost a sport.

These all ended up in Adventure/Adventure 2D for me.

I've avoided adding categories like Horror category because I've been using mine to indicate the style of game rather than the theme/story.

I totally understand -- I just have this issue where I can't bear to put something as awesome as Dead Space or Dead Space 2 into a category as generic as THIRD PERSON SHOOTER (or to follow your example, SHOOTER - THIRD PERSON).
I think I just need to delete the categories and continue to rely on the search field when I'm sorting through games looking for something in particular.

Speaking of views... is there any way to clean out some of the games from the "Recent" view?

I have a category called GOAT. Currently populated by FTL, Hotline Miami, XCOM, and Mount and Blade: Warband. I have more games that can probably be in this category, but I need to play them first!

Escape Goat. :p

Don't do that. Join me in the "not even bothering with categories #yolo" group!

Categories are a trap. The only one I have is called "MAC CRAP" and it's for useless extra Mac versions of GTA/Civ games.

Detruire

Neo Member
What I really wish for, I think, is sub-categories... but Steam is so primitive in that it will only let you assign to a single category and then flag as a favorite or not. :\

Sub-categories would be great! Even being able to add a game to multiple categories would be a huge improvement

Loving XCOM : Enemy Unknown. Didn't play the original, nor is it a genre that I dabble with all that much. But, this game is a ton of fun. Plus naming and customising your soldiers adds to the immersion, particularly when you fuck up and Captain Mike Tyson dies before he got a chance to make a name for himself in my unit. He should have stuck to boxing. Sydney Bristow, on the other hand, is tearing shit up.

WHAT?! There's a game called Rectaltear ? (Looks again) Oh, Recetear. So close to being my GOTY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom